Guardians Of The Galaxy Adds A Doctor's Companion

Guardians Of The Galaxy Adds A Doctor's Companion

Karen Gillan (Dr. Who shot)

Scottish actress Karen Gillan returns to epic, galactic science fiction with a role in Marvel Studios' upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film adaptation.

Those of you who are fans of Doctor Who will recognize Karen Gillan as the spunky young redhead who played Amelia Pond opposite Matt Smith's Doctor from 2008 through 2012. Those of you with functioning eyes will recognize her as very, very lovely. Whichever reason you need fall back on, you should probably be excited to hear that she's joined the cast of the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy film adaptation.

Specific details on what Gillan will be doing in the film remain a mystery, but The Hollywood Reporter, in breaking news of her casting, posited the claim that Gillan will be portraying the film's lead female villain - a stark departure for those of us more accustomed to seeing Gillan as a heroic figure battling Daleks or whatever.

Gillan joins a cast that is already quite impressive. Among her co-stars in Guardians are Chris Pratt, Michael Rooker, Lee Pace, Zoe Saldana, former pro wrestler Dave Bautista and revered actress Glenn Close. Casting is currently ongoing, so expect the film to pick up even more familiar names in the near future.

Guardians of the Galaxy is currently slated to start shooting in June, with Marvel Studios hoping to debut the film on August 1, 2014.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

How much more type cast can you get?

From 2008? Didn't he start 2010?

As cool as this is, being typecast to this degree has really got to suck.

I's sure she loved being on Doctor Who, but I for one would hate to ALWAYS be known as one character.

Huh, so that has been confirmed, I thought it was just a rumour. It will be interesting to see who she plays and how she does in the role.

She's probably accepting this villainess part just to show that she's not just Amy Pond.

Ok was I the only one who saw the title and thought the doctor will be in the guardians of the galaxy!

I really have no clue who she's going to end up playing. There are very few female villains in cosmic Marvel for whatever reason. I suppose she could play an evil Phyla-Vell or perhaps a Kree or Skrull depending on whether or not the Ronan rumor is true. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Or maybe even "pretty" Death XD

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
As cool as this is, being typecast to this degree has really got to suck.

Not really. Superhero blockbuster movies are the best thing to happen to young actors these days. Get a big part in one of those and your career will skyrocket.

She should play Rocket Raccoon just to confuse the fuck out of everyone.

Typecast? She's done other things, they've just not been as high profile.

I have very little else to say without just being incredibly lecherous. Karen Gillan is attractive to the point that it's actually a bit annoying.

All this talk of type casting is a little annoying. Has she done other things besides be the Doctor's assistant? Or should I phrase it: Has she done anything besides that, the I as an American would have seen her in? The answer is no. She has not done anything that is as big as being a main character on Doctor Who. Also, being typecast is when an actor is only cast as one single character type. Her being recognizable from Doctor Who is not the same thing as her being typecast as a certain character type. For instance, she could potentially be typecast as a supporting assertive character/assistant type. I don't think that's the case though, especially since she is playing a major villain in the movie.

Incidentally, I can't wait for this movie. Guardians of the Galaxy is simply an amazing opportunity to show the galactic events that occur in the Marvel Universe.

She was an annoying character on top of it

Nurb:

Disagree.

OT:
Good. I've never seen her as... well, anything else, and playing the villain will certainly be interesting to see. Sadly, given my lack of knowledge with the Marvel universe, I can't even speculate to who she could be. Meh. MEH I SAY.

Baresark:
Has she done anything besides that, the I as an American would have seen her in?

As an American, you "wouldn't" have seen Dr. Who, either.

Pyrian:

Baresark:
Has she done anything besides that, the I as an American would have seen her in?

Except for the part where it's aired on national television here.

Baresark:

Pyrian:

Baresark:

By "national television" you mean SyFy. If "as an American" means you've seen everything on cable, then you've seen We'll Take Manhattan.

But the vast majority of Americans haven't seen her at all.

Nurb:

Also, she can't act worth a damn.

I hope her screen time is small and doesn't require too much in the way of emoting.

Pyrian:
By "national television" you mean SyFy.

Is it on Syfy now? I'd always caught it on PBS or whichever BBC iteration my device du jour is capable of picking up.

Pyrian:

Baresark:

Pyrian:

By "national television" you mean SyFy. If "as an American" means you've seen everything on cable, then you've seen We'll Take Manhattan.

But the vast majority of Americans haven't seen her at all.

National television would be anything that is seen all over the US. The truth is, I have only seen her in Doctor Who, which is why I posed that question. I don't have cable, I got rid of it a long while back. Too expensive and not worth the money. But I think the point was that we do have Doctor Who in America. It's a pretty damn popular show here.

Earnest Cavalli:
Those of you with functioning eyes will recognize her as very, very lovely.

What? She looks like a fish with too much makeup on.

Pyrian:

Baresark:

She wasn't even born yet to have appeared in the Peter Cushing movie.

Well, I was already going to see this movie. Now I really am going to see this movie.

I should say something along the lines of this being good for her career and glad she's there, but really I just want to say:

DEAR GOD YES! I get to see Karen Gillian in a form fitting outfit, score!

Earnest Cavalli:

Pyrian:
By "national television" you mean SyFy.

Is it on Syfy now? I'd always caught it on PBS or whichever BBC iteration my device du jour is capable of picking up.

It's on BBC America every Saturday night.

It would be pretty cool to see Gillian playing against the goodie-goodie type she's known for in Who.

That said; with Rooker in the same movie she'd have to blow up Alderaan or something for anyone to take her seriously as a villain. Even if Rooker's playing a janitor I'm fairly confident he'll out-sinister her.

This is going to be strange, to say the least. I don't recall ever seeing someone who played a long-running role so firmly cemented in my mind as a main character in something completely different, unless you count Tara Strong's voice acting (which is admittedly a bit of a curve ball every time I hear one of her characters).

Pyrian:

Baresark:

You probably get pissed whenever we make uninformed generalizations about your country, right? Well, guess what: The stupid analogy sword cuts both ways, and anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 the people I know love Doctor Who, including my baby boomer parents.

Who ever she'll play, I'm sure she'll be hot.

Wereduck:
It would be pretty cool to see Gillian playing against the goodie-goodie type she's known for in Who.

Her character was only goodie goodie because she was running around with The Doctor. There were plenty of flashes showing that she could have turned Amy Pond into a pretty badass Good is not Nice character should the situation have warranted it. But y'know, Doctor Who.

008Zulu:

Nurb:

Also, she can't act worth a damn.

I hope her screen time is small and doesn't require too much in the way of emoting.

i always thought she was a half decent actress, i feel sometimes with dr who actors haveing to be so over the top they dont always manage to pull it off.
but before dr who she was the eye candy in a sketch show, think it was the first thing she was in, but i feel she did a good job of adapting to the roles she was in. in those sort of things i think if, with a little makeup and different body language, you dont notice they are the same person they are doing a good job at acting.
who knows maybe i was just blinded by her beauty and was giving her a free pass but i thought she managed to do a good just in loads of differnt roles and as above sometimes i didnt realise that it was the same person i thought they had got someone else in for some of them.

DVS BSTrD:

How the hell is she being typecast? You mean to say Amy Pond was a villain on Doctor Who all this time? Or maybe you mean the typecasting of Scottish gingers as villains? Because I sure has hell don't remember any of note other than Fat Bastard, and that was a non-ginger Canadian in a fat suit and wig.

Two questions which I think are on everyone's mind:

1. Just who is the main female villain in the Guardians of the Galaxy rogues gallery?

2. How short will her skirt be?

This reminds me of her comment about how 'Melody Pond is a superhero's name'.

My money is on her playing the part of Captain Carol Danvers, with part of the plot involving the introduction of Captain Mahr Vehl.

LittleWings:
From 2008? Didn't he start 2010?

yup.

DVS BSTrD:

I'm not sure I follow. They're both vaguely sci-fi and...That's about it.

Hannibal942:
She's probably accepting this villainess part just to show that she's not just Amy Pond.

She should check in with Michelle Trachtenberg to see how well that tends to work.

raptor1181:
Ok was I the only one who saw the title and thought the doctor will be in the guardians of the galaxy!

I can see it now. Amy Pond goes evil because the Doctor dropped the TARDIS into the 616 universe, threw her out the doors, and said "and don't come back!"

She should have never tried to give him another apple.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here