"Nintendo Should Have Their IP on Every Platform"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"Nintendo Should Have Their IP on Every Platform"

ian livingstone

Eidos life president, Ian Livingstone, on Nintendo and its platform exclusivity.

Ian Livingstone, life president of Eidos and co-founder of Games Workshop and the Fighting Fantasy book series, has called for Nintendo to go multi-platform.

"Nintendo should have their IP on every platform," said Livingstone, as he opened proceedings at a Bristol Games Hub event. "Otherwise a whole generation of young people will miss out on their games."

That could be a stealth dig at the Wii U, which is still struggling to find an audience, or Livingstone could be joining the chorus of devs calling for Nintendo games on smartphones. Particularly iOS devices, which, earlier this year, began to outstrip traditional handhelds in terms of games spending.

There's no doubt that Nintendo would make a killing on the app store, particularly given the decline of social gaming in favor of so-called "mid-core" games. That even hilariously broken, obvious knock-offs like this can top the charts proves there's a sizable smartphone audience for Nintendo's product, but the company isn't interested.

"This is absolutely not under consideration," said Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata, when asked about Smartphone development back in 2011. "If we did this, Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo. Having a hardware development team in-house is a major strength. It's the duty of management to make use of those strengths."

Calls for Nintendo to go multi-platform seem to follow every hardware generation, but it's unlikely the company would ever consider it until it's no longer making a profit on console sales. Some are convinced the Wii U may be the magic bullet that finally puts Nintendo's hardware business down. Then again, some were convinced it would be the 3DS, and others thought it would be the Wii.

Source: PocketGamer

Not gonna lie...if they busted out some Mario, Metriod, and/or Zelda games on the 360, I'd probably drown myself in them. Think it's actually been well over a decade since the last time I played a Mario game.

Well, I should say, since the last time I "owned" a Mario game. Think the last Mario game I played was the Mario Kart on the Wii, before that it was frickin' Mario Kart 64. I have absolutely nothing but my generously proportioned gut to base this off of, but I'd imagine if they started releasing their IP on multiple platforms they would see a pretty hefty sales increase.

OW! I facepalmed so hard I smacked the back of my chair. Is this guy for real? Nintendo's one saving grace for it's own console and it's sales has always been it's first party exclusives. What would be the point of even being in the Console buissness if their IPs are on multiple platforms. There is no way Mario would ever be seen on a Playstation or a Microsoft console, not in a million years.

Nintendo would probably rather die then let other companies take a penny of that profit. If I ever live to see the day that happens I'll be surprised. It happened to Sonic, but Sega had struggled to keep up even during the Genisis era. Dreamcast was just the final nail in the coffin. Even if the Wii U is a colossal flop they would probably turn around and focus their efforts on another DS, or maybe a full fledged Nintendo Tablet that isn't just a controller of the Wii U.

Grey Carter:
"This is absolutely not under consideration," said Nintendo CEO, Satoru Iwata, when asked about Smartphone development back in 2011. "If we did this, Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo. Having a hardware development team in-house is a major strength. It's the duty of management to make use of those strengths."

Exactly. It's not Nintendo's job to put it's games on other peoples systems so that these "young people" don't "miss out".

I hardly doubt that Livingstone really even cares whether they're missing out. Really, what's it to him if some kids don't get to play certain Nintendo games? Why isn't he complaining about other companies games not being on every system? Where's his declaration that Halo should be on every system so that "young people" aren't missing out? Or that Valve should release all their games on every system so that these "young people" don't miss out?

If he's going to make a statement about young people missing out, he need to call out all the companies on any exclusivity, not just Nintendo.

Why would they remove the only draw card for their consoles? For fabs of their series a Nintendo system is a must, however I agree this could bite them on the ass later.

Fuck that guy. And why Nintendo? It's the console more different than the others. It would be more logical if Sony ceased to launch Hardware, since 360 and PS3 are pretty much the same.

How did I not know this about Ian Livingstone? Darn, me!
Androids are outselling iOS.
N might do this if they come close to bankrupcy but unlikely until then. Once they start releasing on multiple platforms the usual appeal of their consoles drops considerably and will generate discontent over new exclusive titles. Right now people who like N games, buy N hardware, or emulate on the PC/Android.

I always supported Nintendo, their morals have always been one thing I respect about them.

After seeing the review of The Last of Us, I'm not too keen on ANY platform having exclusives.

DVS BSTrD:
After seeing the review of The Last of Us, I'm not too keen on ANY platform having exclusives.

That is why I find Livingstone's comment so damn stupid. If he is going to make a comment like that, he has to say that to Sony and Microsoft as well, if not, then his point falls flat on its face.

I'm sure we'll see Mario on the Xbox as soon as we see Master Chief on the Play Station.

Though a PC version of the virtual console would definitely have my attention.

I face-palmed so goddamn hard that my hand went right through my skull...

Oh sweet jesus, it hurts...

To be fair, I wouldn't take advice from a company that's going bust.

Eh, Nintendo will only make their IPs non-exclusive when they're consoles cease to exist. It's literally the only thing carrying the Wii U at the moment. That being said, I can see them making a killing if they start releasing their IPs on the mobile market.

Really there should be no platform exclusives.

All games should play on any console, and let the consoles own merits and flaws determine if they sink or swim.

Here's a question I know many of you cannot immediately answer, because you just don't have the experience:

How many kids would love to play a Nintendo game, but wish they could get one that works with their parents' XBox or Playstation console?

I think that's the big issue Ian wants to bring to the table - We've got two generations of gamers in families that have to play on the same device because a) two consoles can't run simultaneously on the same TV, and B) several of these families can't afford to own more than two current-gen or next-gen consoles. Nintendo's been focused lately on making quality games centralized around children and teens, but thanks to what Dad or Mom decided to buy, kids will find it hard to play them and instead will be stuck with whatever his/her parents get for themselves or for him/her.

And then you've got the impression that is put upon these kids by some of these games. You know why you love the games of the past? You grew up with them, as they helped develop you, and it's why games between early childhood to late teens stick in your memory the best - You were learning emotion, skills, abilities, shaping your imagination and creativity and what you were capable of. That sort of development is mostly gone once you hit adulthood, and it's part of the reason many have so much trouble finding entertainment with recent games.

Now, imagine what the kids have to grow up with in this generation of gaming. Is it good? Is it bad? We really don't know until we can tell a decade later, when the development slows to a crawl. And then, they'll also start complaining about the bad games.

Eh. I suspect the quality would suffer for it.

For good or ill, nintendo understands it's own hardware very well. If you look far enough back into their history you actually see there were nintendo games on other systems once...

And they were usually awful.

Part of why Nintendo games are that good are because they're built very tightly around the hardware they run on.
Now, could they do this on another console? Probably.

Could they do it on smartphones? Doubtful. I'm not convinced they'd do well on a pc-like environment either.

Their hardware and games are kind of symbiotic. You can probably break that apart, but I suspect both would suffer for it. (Well, assuming Nintendo even still made hardware in that kind of scenario.)

RicoADF:
Why would they remove the only draw card for their consoles? For fabs of their series a Nintendo system is a must, however I agree this could bite them on the ass later.

Pretty much this, Nintendo would be sacrificing the main draw of their own consoles if they allowed their IP on other consoles, in the long run it would be a terrible business move. Also, Nintendo games are generally much larger and consequently a good deal more expensive than your average app, their entire business model would have to change to work on an app marketplace.

I'm curious: Why is it Nintendo is the only one who "needs" to stop having exclusive first-party titles? This line of thinking never comes up with Sony or Microsoft. It's always Nintendo.

As for the WiiU, all I have to say is that once those first-party exclusives start actually coming out, sales will increase. And recent events have shown sales will also increase once they cut the price of the console.

This just in, Nintendo's practices antiqated like rest of console market.

Film at 11.

and then why would people buy a nintendo console?

Thats their only trick on their sleeve: console going bad? Make new mario,zelda and metroid with new graphics and gimmicks!

Yes, there are a lot of other good games on the wii and wii u but most people were probably introduced to the console with a mario game than with monster hunter

Mr. Omega:
I'm curious: Why is it Nintendo is the only one who "needs" to stop having exclusive first-party titles? This line of thinking never comes up with Sony or Microsoft. It's always Nintendo.

They're not the only ones that should do it. They're just one of the most prominent examples.

Although it mirrors a lot of the sentiment already on here, I disagree. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this statement strikes me a pompous, but most of all it just seems baseless and without reason. I guess I just can't quite wrap my mind around why this would really matter to anyone let alone call for a public appeal to the company.

Personally it wouldn't bother me in any way if Nintendo did decide to go multiplatform, but to think they have any kind of obligation to do so is kinda silly. Their only obligation is to make a good product for their consumers, which they tend to do fairly well.

Nintendo has the strongest portfolio of exclusive IPs of anyone in the marketplace.

given their slightly wobbly design choices in the current gen those properties are arguable their greatest asset.

the idea that they should spread it around to help other people sell their own hardware is ludicrous.

wobbly design choices aside (nothing new there from Nintendo), people have this real funny idea Nintendo is in some kind of trouble as a company...but realistically the only measurable way was down from being the second most profitable company in the entire Japanese economy (which is where they were for a while) and a profit level that was placing them, a gaming company who sell games and games consoles alone, on par with some of the USs biggest corporations like Exxon Mobil or Chevron...and it's still the world the world's largest video game company by revenue.

i very much doubt most people have much idea just how much comfort money they actually sitting on after completely pwning the last console generation in all sectors and in all regions worldwide on a massively profitable basis not to mention creating whole new previously non existent market segment ...and sure maybe the didn't get much kudos from "hardcore gamers" because they didn't seemingly make much for them ...but you can't put kudos in a bank...and when you were 8 and playing Nintendo you weren't "hardcore gamer"...if you catch my drift...

tbth they could probably completely sit on their hands for one maybe two generations in both the hand helds and consoles arenas and not really have to worry about it.

and phones ? most people don't buy a phone for kid til they hit pre teen but every nephew and niece i have (and their pals) has a Nintendo handheld even the ones who can barely pick it up yet.

they idea they won't know who Mario is because Mario isn't on mobile phones is completely divorced from the demographic reality of who you buy a mobile phone for and who you buy a "gameboy" for.

Nintendo isn't going anywhere. even if the Wii U falls flat on its face Nintendo isn't going anywhere. as a business it in far better shape and has way more talent and options than practically every other company in the marketplace (hardware or software) and it's a hilarious to watch "news" stories try to convince western onlookers otherwise.

its all a game..."the markets don't function on reality but the perception of reality"...well you're the market here and the "they" really don't want you to buy Nintendo...that's what you're really looking at here...not that it's gonna matter.

While I can understand not wanting a whole generation of gamers to grow up without playing nintendo games, why is it always "nintendo should" and not MS or Sony? I'd kill for a Jak & Daxter or Halo on the Wii U

MS and Sony's games would work just fine on Wii U.... Hell, they'd work just fine on each other's consoles...
<_<
>_>

On a side note; would current gen controllers work with the next one? I think I read somewhere they won't but I don't see why not...
I mean, I can understand not being BC with games to cut costs (though I would've definitely appreciated it, at least until the next gen libraries can be built up a bit) but the PS4 & XB1 controllers have had very little changes(and even then not by that much) while Wii U has a completely different controller and still works with Wii motes (though I guess that's a necessity of being backwards compatible).

N really should open up to pc iOS android. Just release a nes to gamecube emulator app and sell games for .99 to 5.99. They have this entire backlog they don't do anything with why not make money and broaden your fanbase.

Everytime i fire up Super smash bros or mario cart on my pc and game in 1080 with whatever magic allows all the graphical enhancements I get annoyed that N doesn't do anything with their old catalog of game for PC/iOS/Android.

suntt123:
While I can understand not wanting a whole generation of gamers to grow up without playing nintendo games, why is it always "nintendo should" and not MS or Sony? I'd kill for a Jak & Daxter or Halo on the Wii U

MS and Sony's games would work just fine on Wii U.... Hell, they'd work just fine on each other's consoles...
<_<
>_>

On a side note; would current gen controllers work with the next one? I think I read somewhere they won't but I don't see why not...
I mean, I can understand not being BC with games to cut costs (though I would've definitely appreciated it, at least until the next gen libraries can be built up a bit) but the PS4 & XB1 controllers have had very little changes(and even then not by that much) while Wii U has a completely different controller and still works with Wii motes (though I guess that's a necessity of being backwards compatible).

PS3 and 360 controllers aren't compatible with the PS4 and Xbone unfortunately

This is gonna be a good year for Nintendo. Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Game & Wario, Sonic: Lost World, and probably a new 3D-platformy Mario (definitely in development, likely a late 2013 release)... Yeah, the Wii U won't fail, not with this library. Much like the 3DS, it won't really catch on until about a year after its release, once it's finally got enough big titles out, but it'll catch on with a vengeance.

P.S. Thanks

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

suntt123:
*snip*

and yet there's no real reason for that as all the controllers are USB devices...except to get you to buy controllers ofc....and because the added a couple largely pointless extra buttons or something as a cockblock.

If they released the Pokémon games on PC I'd probably buy them. I don't feel like buying a new gameboy just for enslaving the 'mons. If I wasn't against piracy I could easily just emulate them and give absolutely none of my cash to Nintendo, which they probably wouldn't like.

Every time I read Nintendo's firm stance on cross-platform development, I sigh in disappointment. I, for one, would not buy their systems, even if their franchises make their needed moderate jumps.

The 3DS is too bulky for me to carry it around, even for Pokemon, but I'd love to have Pokemon on my iPhone since no other good game on the platform has its easy-to-play, fun-to-experiment-with formula. Every time I hear of a game coming out on the Wii U, I think about getting the system and remember the huge, necessary tablet controller with its short battery life. It's not like their games are really special now.

Xman490:
Every time I read Nintendo's firm stance on cross-platform development, I sigh in disappointment. I, for one, would not buy their systems, even if their franchises make their needed moderate jumps.

The 3DS is too bulky for me to carry it around, even for Pokemon, but I'd love to have Pokemon on my iPhone since no other good game on the platform has its easy-to-play, fun-to-experiment-with formula. Every time I hear of a game coming out on the Wii U, I think about getting the system and remember the huge, necessary tablet controller with its short battery life. It's not like their games are really special now.

The 3DS is "too bulky"? I have one and it's no bigger than the original DS. If anything the thing is too damn small. It feels so tiny and delicate when I hold it in my hands. And the Wii U controller is optional... I wish they'd bundle the thing with pro controllers and sell the tablets as peripherals, instead but you can buy pro controllers separately. Besides off screen play is awesome. I can play monster hunter while my brother watches TV or plays COD or something.

OT:
And anyway, who wants to play a nintendo game on iOS, with no buttons... The PC maybe... But nintendo hardware has survived on 1st party software before and if they ever leave the hardware biz, I feel that the games industry would be a much more boring place.

Sleekit:

Bleidd Whitefalcon:

suntt123:
*snip*

and yet there's no real reason for that as all the controllers are USB devices...except to get you to buy controllers ofc....and because the added a couple largely pointless extra buttons or something as a cockblock.

I believe they changed the wireless frequencies they operate on. All PS3 controllers operate wirelessly and aren't really designed to be USB'd too much when playing (the USB is more of a charging cable). Also the PS4 controller has a touchpad and acts as Move sensor and I think the One controller helps out the connect.

I'm surprised that people are surprised by this. PS2 controllers didn't work on a PS3 and Xbox controllers didn't work on a 360. Everyone is acting like they expected the controllers to work all of a sudden?

If Nintendo were to make Zelda games for PC, I'd buy them full-price, and I usually don't buy games for more than twenty bucks. As it is, I'll only get a Wii U if the next Zelda game looks AMAZING. I didn't buy Skyward Sword because of the graphics downgrade from Twilight Princess.

I'll pretty much echo the sentiment in this thread, if Nintendo is urged to release their exclusives let's see the others do the same if it's such a big deal. I really don't mind console exclusives to begin with.

I understand the position that consoles should stand on their own merits, however the big three have their own studios that are meant to create exclusive content to make the system look superior and draw in consumers to their specific consoles, and especially in Nintendo's case, their software is made to be complemented by their hardware.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here