RuneScape Breaks the Million Mark

RuneScape Breaks the Million Mark

Like a big smiling jug of red flavored sugar water, Runescape has smashed through the 1 million subscriber wall.

RuneScape membership is $5 a month and grants access to exclusive content. In regards to hitting the 1 million mark, Constant Tedder, Managing Director of developer Jagex Ltd., had the following to say.

It is a huge acknowledgement from our global gaming community that being presented with new adventures and challenges in a rapidly evolving world are what gamers want in a multiplayer online game.

RuneScape is a browser-based MMOG with a strong English speaking core audience of 14- to 24-year-olds. Jagex Ltd., based out of Cambridge, England, recently released a German beta of RuneScape with the same features that have made the English-language version so widely popular.

Huh...That's great except for the fact that only 7 months later, Jagex unleashed a horde of horrible anti-RWT updates that killed merchanting, PKing, and everything fun about the game.

I used to play the free version of it, good times, good times.

Well, the thing is, most people in my age group went through a period where we'd all play the game... now, it's just 'meh'. Ah well, good for them.

Ahh... Runescape. It killed any interest I had MMORPGs. I realized when I was spending more than two hours at mining coal that it wasn't fun anymore.

Aidanadv:
Ahh... Runescape. It killed any interest I had MMORPGs. I realized when I was spending more than two hours at mining coal that it wasn't fun anymore.

I am with Aidanadv with that one, the shear amount of repetition does get annoying after say 2 minutes or so. But i still like playing it when i can be bothered to renew my account. Congrats Jagex

stompy:
Well, the thing is, most people in my age group went through a period where we'd all play the game... now, it's just 'meh'. Ah well, good for them.

Same here, I was even a member for a half a year!

Runescape past the million? That's good for them. I did play the game, I thought it was dreadfully boring though.

stompy:

I played it, by recommendation from a friend. I thought, at first, "Well...this isn't that bad; I guess it could be worse." I got World of Warcraft a couple weeks later and thought "Wow, Runescape is CRAP compared to this!" Then I actually got into WoW (or as you non-WoW-players call it, 'addicted') and then I thought, "CRAP!? Comparing Runescape to WoW is a COMPLIMENT to call Runescape 'CRAP'!!!" So....notsomuch 'Meh' as "OMG I WILL NEVEREVEREVEREVER LOOK AT RUNESCAPE AGAIN!!!" As for 1 million people playing it...1 million drug-users have access to Runescape? WoW has TEN MILLION subscribers anyways.

Edit: OK, I was too rough. Runescape's not the WORST MMO. Sure it's repetitive, but so are most others. WoW is totally grindtastic (it's a word, look it up) but it manages to disguise it well. It's like you're going through the Exodus in Runescape, but every ten minutes you get a reprieve. More or less.

ah good ol runescape, took my mmo virginity and i dont regret it, now adays i wouldent play it but i cant deny the joy i had playing it waaaaaaaaaay back when (i got wow later on and found out i was more addicted to runescape, either that or im just harder to addict since them) Congrats!

Zombie_King:
[quote=stompy]Lots of World of Warcraft crap with way too many exclamation marks...

Yeah, World of Warcraft may have 10 million subscribers, but considering at least 1 million of those accounts are from Chinese farmers and gold sellers, and another 1 million or so of people with multiple accounts, it's not that much of a feat. Ever wonder why Blizzard stopped publishing charts of where the most accounts were sold?

Anyways on to the topic. Good for Jagex. Played RuneScape myself way back when. Found it dreadfully boring though, like most MMOG's.

You will probably end up saying the same for any other MMO that manages to get to WoW's level of popularity. Goldfarmers aren't a problem only in WoW, other games have the problem (albeit to a lesser extent). It's only WoW's massive size that makes gold-farming such a big buisiness.

One of the best things about runescape is the quests are actually interesting, and have a story BESIDES, "Hey those little forest creatures piss me off, and I need their hides. Go kill em, I could one-shot them all, but I'm too busy standing around here.",
The sad thing is that there are a lot less quests, and f2p people never get any new ones, another reason why 70% of the game is P2P

Angrywyvern:
One of the best things about runescape is the quests are actually interesting, and have a story BESIDES, "Hey those little forest creatures piss me off, and I need their hides. Go kill em, I could one-shot them all, but I'm too busy standing around here.",
The sad thing is that there are a lot less quests, and f2p people never get any new ones, another reason why 70% of the game is P2P

Necromancing threads is not a good way to become accepted to the forums, just a hint.

what? oh sorry. How long has this thread been out?

Edit: wait, never mind, don't answer that

Amnestic:

Angrywyvern:

Necromancing threads is not a good way to become accepted to the forums, just a hint.

Unless you're Anarchemitis.

Hmm, yeah, used to play Runescape. They really destroyed it by trying to stop RWT though. Not subscribing after they did that.

I was part of it a while back, but once you've done all the free quests, what's left to do apart from tedious tasks? (which admittedly were a major part of most quests anyway)

This game is still around? Man I remember playing this in junior high in the library (before all the stupid site blocks). But seriously who cares they reached 1 million only 10 year olds give a flying shit about that game.

sammyfreak:

lol yup i remember those days......

I still play runescape, about 2 hours a week though! Its something to do if you are extremely bored, and are broke

I am surprised that this game actually managed to stay alive for so long.

sammyfreak:

Same, until you hit a certain level (round 40 or so). Then unless you payed for new stuff, it got boring fast...
I always leveled silly skills like cooking and crafting, made craptons of money. However, so much stuff was being given only to the paying players that I quit: there was no way to compete.

Ok question, why do people here hate runescape so much? It's not that bad of a game and hell it keeps me from stabing people out of boardom. And please don't everyone jump on the "let me explain why it sucks wagon." Just want a reason for all the hate.

Aidanadv:

Fortunately, it did the same thing for me as well. I'm glad I got it out of my system so I didn't get sucked into WoW and spending my money on the subscription

Does it mean they've had one million subscribers since they started, or do they have one million subscribers at this moment in time

I was a subscriber for a month, I guessing im not one of those million...or...am I?

I tend to stay away from games that subliminally tell me Run, Escape with clever spacing.

Although I did play it for about a month and a half.

I remember playing this game for a short while, that was until I found Star Wars galaxies(best MMO ever in my nostalgic mind)

I can say I'm not surprised, give a few elementary school kids a free MMO that they can play with their friends, that doesn't look to violent when their parents look over their shoulder, and your looking at a success.

Runescape's popular, good for Jagex. I have fond memories of that game from my youth, but I've moved onwards.

I had some good times with that game :D

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.