Sony Committed to UMD Format

Sony Committed to UMD Format

Sony PSP Senior Marketing Manager John Koller says the company remains committed to the UMD format, despite the system's most recent firmware update including an ISO loader that would allow gamers to play titles stored on the Memory Stick.

The firmware changes have led to speculation that Sony would be moving away from the format, which Koller denied. "We'll never walk away from our base," Koller said in an interview with Pocket Gamer. "Whether it's movies or game content, third parties have an incredible opportunity to utilize it."

"UMD possesses many strengths, from size to form factor to portability. Duplication of UMDs is much easier, cheaper than cartridges. We've really optimized time and cost by going with a disc-based format," he added.

While Koller claimed that the capacity of the format was its biggest drawback, saying, "Publishers are concerned about the size of UMD because they can't cram a DVD game onto it," Castlevania creator Koji Igarashi pointed out what he felt was a more pressing problem: UMD's slow speeds. "The slowness of the seeking speed of UMD is a weakness," he said, claiming that "loading speed becomes a big problem for UMD."

In response to criticisms of the format, Koller said, "UMD is a unique medium to create games, and developers need to understand that when tackling the system," adding, "The future of UMD is bright."

Could a system that unloads an UMD into a 4 GB cartridge be developped?

I mean, it could be an option; the PSP scans your card, and sees if there's enough room for massive precaching.
Kinda creating a virtual memory from your cartridge.

I suppose that this would require a hardware modification. What about such a function for the hypothetic PSP 2.0?

Id like some new movies on UMD which i can watch on my PSP :S

The problem I have with UMD is that it can be confusing sometimes. Let me elaborate...

So, one day I was about to play a videogame on my PSP with a friend, who wasn't much of a gamer. What did he do? Try and ply open the casing to put the disk in the PSP.

Damn near disaster, that was.

I like the feature on some games now, where you can load major content to the memstick so loading times are removed. The UMD purchase avoids us having to deal with buying DLC :D

This was necro'd from 3 years ago?!

Anyway, it seems they abandoned it for digital distribution for the PSP.

Onyx Oblivion:

Indeedie on both counts. Why someone's necro'd this thread is beyond me.

Doug:

Onyx Oblivion:

Indeedie on both counts. Why someone's necro'd this thread is beyond me.

How they found it is beyond me!

we're committed to UMD, that's why our newest portable system doesn't have it.

Look up hypocrite in the dictonary and you'll see Sony as the first meaning.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here