Develop Magazine Hosts Fifth European Game Awards
The fifth annual Industry Excellence Awards, hosted by Develop Magazine,, receives a record-setting number of attendees.
Five hundred game industry members attended the fifth annual Develop Magazine's Industry Excellence Awards, Europe's premiere game industry ceremony. Ian Hetherington received the coveted Development Legend award, due to his impressive resume; he was the Co-Founder of the '80s publisher Psygnosis, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and is currently chairing Evolution Studios and Real Time Worlds, two studios that earned awards last night.
Develop Magazine editor Michael French said, "The fact that no one company dominated the awards this year shows what a diverse range of talent this industry boasts. It's been a brilliant year for games, with new hardware allowing developers to really stretch their imagination with new ways to play - so competition for these prestigious awards has been fiercer than ever. Whilst the winners and the finalists will undoubtedly grab the headlines, everyone involved in games development should be applauded for continuing to broaden the market and those playing our games. Here's to another fantastic 12 months."
The full list of winners reads:
- New Console IP: MotorStorm (Evolution/SCEE External Development)
- New Handheld IP: Crush (Zoe Mode)
- Best Use of a Licence: Lego Star Wars II (Traveller's Tales)
- Visual Arts: Rare (Viva Pinata)
- Audio Accomplishment: FreeStyle (B-Boy)
- Publishing Hero: Sega
- Innovation: Real Time Worlds (Crackdown)
- Tools Provider: Havok
- Best Use of Online: Eden Studios (Test Drive Unlimited)
- Services & Outsourcing: Babel Media
- Recruitment Company: Datascope
- New UK Studio: Realtime Worlds
- Handheld Studio: Rockstar Leeds
- Business Development: Blitz
- Independent Developer: Traveller's Tales
- In-house Developer: Ubisoft France
- Development Legend: Ian Hetherington
- Grand Prix: Sony