Duke Nukem Forever Teaser Expected Today

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Duke Nukem Forever Teaser Expected Today

3D Realms is promising a new Duke Nukem Forever teaser video, expected to land around noon CST today.

A message posted on the 3D Realms website says, "Last Saturday we had our annual company Christmas party. It was a lot of fun as usual but it featured one special surprise. It turns out that several people had been secretly working late nights and into the wee hours of the morning preparing a special video for those at the party. They created a short teaser for Duke Nukem Forever."

"After seeing the teaser we thought it was something we should share with all of you and while it's just a teaser, rest assured more is coming. Tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th, around noon CST, we will release the first teaser trailer from Duke Nukem Forever. To tide you over until then, there has been a screen shot taken from the teaser and posted in our forums. Check it out here."

"Thank you for being fans of the game and for your continued patience."

An update to the message meant to "manage expectations" was added later by George Broussard, which said, "This is a teaser. It's not a full-blown trailer like the 2001 trailer (but something like that is coming.) I tried to be clear about that in the message board post, so just bear in that it's a teaser."

A link to the 3D Realms forum post on the topic is available here, although the server is experiencing difficulties with the increased traffic.

....and the lamb broke the sixth seal.....

...and by now, who cares?

Expected Update around noon CST:

Duke Nukem Forever Teaser DELAYED until 2009.

So, the only reason there's still interest in this game is the laughing stock that 3D Realms has become over how long this game has been in development since first advertised. Granted, Prey also took forever, and it was... okay.

I dunno... I'd like to think that bland, generic action heroes are going to be a thing of the past soon. Besides, why should we listen to someone other than Bruce Campbell give those lines we adored in the Evil Dead series? ;)

It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum! And I'm all outta gum...

ShackNews is obviously crashing. Curses.

If this ever comes out I'll eat my 360.

Oh! It loaded! My reaction? Meh.

Meh. Duke's one liners aren't nearly as clever now that he isn't stealing them from Bruce Campbell, and this one felt forced.

I hope 3DRealms isn't banking on Duke's awesome factor to sell this game because it has been so long people have either forgotten, or never played the original, but I may be getting ahead of myself since I'm assuming the game will come out one day.

I felt they needed to come out of the gate swinging with this teaser, but it was a typical teaser, and unless you're a big fan of the Duke I doubt it will make your balls tighten.

I don't understand about this.

One of the most popular games ever and its taking them years to get a sequel done. Other games are on to there 3rd or 4th sequels in as many years...

...unless this will be the game of all games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUN7mHUtzno

it's out...if you care

and why is he looking like Bruce Willis rather than Kurt Russell?

When and if DNF finally comes out there's no way it will live up to any hype. It'll either totally suck or simply be an average shooter. Of course there will be those few fanboys left that will swear by it but I predict it will garner solid 7's from the critics.

What an embarrassment.

It would be nice to get an expose one day on how this company actually operates, if indeed it does at all.

Yeah, set sail for more blue balls. Doesn't exactly send strippers to your house, but as slow as it's moved, they'd probably be too old to shake ass without throwing out their hip joints. Nice that they've got the same voice actor as old, but they obviously can't lip sync it with the graphics and for all I know they've got a DukeBonoVox they can play like a synthesizer.

What was that line?

I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks, who's first?

Your average fighting game line is better-written and more coherent than that. What.

edit: fixed for better (or worse?) grammar

I will be deeply disappointed if this game ever actually ships. DNF is much more fun as a decade-old abortion than it could ever possibly be as an actual videogame.

Malygris:
I will be deeply disappointed if this game ever actually ships. DNF is much more fun as a decade-old abortion than it could ever possibly be as an actual videogame.

I concur. Once it comes out we'll only be able to make fun of it for a couple months for sucking, and then it'll be all over.

I think we need Scooby Doo and the mystery bus out here.
3d Realms, i've decided, was closed years ago, its employees have all mysteriously gone missing, and now it is just an empty, haunted warehouse where a goblin is releasing little bits of a non-existent game to keep us all on our toes.

DNF is a ghost!!
Yoowzers!

You know, I like a good cigar when I'm doing arm curls in my shadowy one-man gym.

Hey, it looks like that electric-blanket and de-icer outlet I started in Hell might finally see an upturn in business!

Duke Nukem might have been all the rage back then, but won't it seem a little out of place in today's gaming industry, where we expect more than just big explosions and action heroes in our games?

Despite all the hate duke nukem forever is getting for its 10+ years, I can say honestly if the game ever does ship I will be lining up at the doors for duke nukem forever. Even if the game does tank it will be worth it to honor the first fps I've ever played.

Copter400:
Duke Nukem might have been all the rage back then, but won't it seem a little out of place in today's gaming industry, where we expect more than just big explosions and action heroes in our games?

I agree, I loved the original 2D Dukes, and Duke 3D made my pre-pubescent heart smile.
These days I can't see a new Duke game doing anything but ruin my cherished memories.

Needs more pop-culture parody. Thats what made the originals stand out.

I'd buy it if it came out cheaply enough - 20 or 30 bucks and I'm in. If it's released as a full-priced FPS, though, I won't go near it unless I get confirmation from trusted sources that every last day of the development period was justified. Because anything less will constitute an expectations-crushing crash-and-burn, resulting in a quick Daikatana-style price cut - and then I'll score it cheap anyway.

If it's a good shooter I'll get it. It doesn't need to be ultimately awesome, just so long as it's not total crap.

I love the music in the trailer though. When the 'Grabbag' music kicked in, it brought up so much memories. *sigh*

i didnt even like duke 3d, sure it had innovative equipment, but man having monsters teleport in to areas u had cleared out just sucked. could never grok with that. wasn't it doom 1 time , it sure added unique game play something lacking in todays games,

Personally I suspect that I am going to love this game. They seem to have kept the over-the-top testosterone dripping feel of the original. I won't be playing this game for the realism or deep artsy story. I will be playing it to kick back and waste some alien scumbags while giving money to strippers while listening to cheap one liners. The exact same reason I love James Bond or the Men in Black movies.

Here's a question, then: If the alleged Duke Nukem Forever is going to be alien scumbags, strippers and bad one-liners - which is to say, more Duke 3D - how the hell are they going to justify a decade-long development cycle?

I never said anything about the development time being justified. Since I haven't been holding my breath for the last decade, I can safely say I don't really give a rats ass how long time it takes for the game to be made. It's not like they have a moral, legal or any other kind of obligation to be quick about releasing a game. All they have to do is release something I am going to enjoy playing. And if they want to let me give my money to other developers while they have their thumbs securely fastened to the inside of their colons, well that is also fine with me. Why should a game be bad because of a long development time?. I will simply play the game and judge it as a game. If it takes one year or ten doesn't matter to me as long as the game is fun.

Amen brother. I really dont care how long it takes to release. when it does release ill be happy. till then im not going to wait for it, just go about my day getting other games as they come.. when it does come ill enjoy it. but i must say waiting for a new Duke Nukem game has gotten be alot more exicted then ive ever been about anything else. i dont know its like the anticipation you have before having sex. Its kind of like that.. eh lol...

MrCIA:
Why should a game be bad because of a long development time?

Not saying it will be. I'm just surprised that you're not more curious about what's been going on for all these years.

Maybe they wanted to make a behind the scenes DVD: "The Duke Decade"? I don't really know what they have been doing, and of course I am curious about why it has taken so long. But I think it is more telling that they are still at it after ten years, and haven't just said "f*ck it, it ain't gonna happen". Now that to me says that at least some of the dev team have the kind of dedication to the game I like to see.

Oh, I can think of a lot of ways to justify the development cycle.

Most of which revolve around spending time on doing other projects (such as the 3d side scroller and Duke Nukem: Manhatten) or on redoing the design from scratch.

However, the FAQ points out that the game is entirely funded out of the developers pockets. To me, this says that those 10 years aren't full time years. I mean, these guys had to have day-jobs doing something else at this point.

Then again, the FAQ also says that there's no way they'll be doing a DVD release because whether DVD will be adopted as a mainstream format is currently unknown. Kind of a funny reminder of how long development has been going on.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here