Jack Thompson Served With Show Cause Order Over Courtroom Antics

Jack Thompson Served With Show Cause Order Over Courtroom Antics

Jack Thompson has announced he has been given the single greatest gift of his career via a show cause order from the Florida Supreme Court over his ongoing abuse of the legal system.

The order, a copy of which Thompson sent to GamePolitics , says that as a result of his penchant for submitting frivolous and inappropriate filings, Thompson must "show cause on or before March 5, 2008, why this Court should not find that you have abused the legal system process and impose upon you a sanction for abusing the legal system, including, but not limited to directing the Clerk of this Court to reject for filing any future pleadings, petitions, motions, letters, documents, or other filings submitted to the Court by you unless signed by a member of The Florida Bar other than yourself."

Along with the forwarded filing, Thompson attached an email claiming the order was the "single greatest gift any court has ever given (him)," adding, "I shall now, through a new federal lawsuit, deconstruct The Florida Bar."

Norm Kent, a Florida-based attorney and Thompson lightning rod, said the move represented the end of the line for controversial anti-videogame crusader, citing the warning given to him by the Supreme Court in April 2007. But in his reply to the Supreme Court, Thompson indicated he would not go quietly. "This court has threatened Thompson. He does not threaten back," he wrote. "He hereby informs this court that he will see it in federal court. This court has just thrown Brer Rabbit into the briar patch."

This guy is so full of himself that he refers to himself in the third person?

Raan_Amano:
This guy is so full of himself that he refers to himself in the third person?

Yeah, the nerve of that guy stealing *my* schtik. (In other forums. Which I stole from someone else. Um...)

I look forward to seeing JT enumerate in excruciating detail his total disconnect with reality before he gets caught in his own legal brambles and devoured by the foxes of mighty justice!

-- Steve

Since i dont know nearly as much about the american legal system (and especialy the one in Florida) to understand everything here i would greatly apreciate someone to explain it in laymans terms.

This is the first time I've ever heard of somebody taking a court to court.

sammyfreak:
Since i dont know nearly as much about the american legal system (and especialy the one in Florida) to understand everything here i would greatly apreciate someone to explain it in laymans terms.

Basically, even the justice system is sick and tired of Jack. ;-)

Echolocating:

What he said.

Yeah, i figured that. But i find the technicalities horribly interesting in legal cases.

I like Jack! He makes the rest of us look sane and normal! When ever I decide to do something that may be considered unusual, I ask myself, "Self, are you as wacked out as Jack?" and so far the answer has always been a sound, "No.".
Besides, how many of your..opponents?..enemies?.. can you just hand the proverbial shovel to and watch them dig their own graves?

sammyfreak:

Sanctioning an attorney is a method of punishment for bad conduct. It can lead to fines, losing his right to practice, etc. In this instance, they are threatening to require Jack to have someone else sign onto all submitted claims, lawsuits, etc. It means that whatever lawyer co-signs one of his lawsuits is essentially staking his reputation on it and will be punished along with Jack if it's found to be out of line. I haven't a clue if he's friends with another lawyer who'd be willing to do that, but the idea is that they'll talk sense into him or, depending on who is assigned to him, never answer his calls.

"He hereby informs this court that he will see it in federal court. This court has just thrown Brer Rabbit into the briar patch."

That's what the legal community refers to as "crazy talk". Considering Thompson is basing this on a First Amendment violation, I would put my cash on a popsicle in Hell lasting longer than this.

Coming up next month: The United Nations decide to evict Jack Thompson from the planet Earth. The next lawsuit is expected to be recieved via Uranus.

I really can't see how the feds are violating his first ammendment rights. They have put up with him wasting the courts time for long enough now, frankly I'm amazed they lasted this long.

Note: Not being American I don't know anything about the US legal system so if anyone can tell me how this is a violation of said rights I will happily listen/read.

L.B. Jeffries:

sammyfreak:

Sanctioning an attorney is a method of punishment for bad conduct. It can lead to fines, losing his right to practice, etc. In this instance, they are threatening to require Jack to have someone else sign onto all submitted claims, lawsuits, etc. It means that whatever lawyer co-signs one of his lawsuits is essentially staking his reputation on it and will be punished along with Jack if it's found to be out of line. I haven't a clue if he's friends with another lawyer who'd be willing to do that, but the idea is that they'll talk sense into him or, depending on who is assigned to him, never answer his calls.

"He hereby informs this court that he will see it in federal court. This court has just thrown Brer Rabbit into the briar patch."

That's what the legal community refers to as "crazy talk". Considering Thompson is basing this on a First Amendment violation, I would put my cash on a popsicle in Hell lasting longer than this.

Thanks, that real clears things up.

Talisker:
I really can't see how the feds are violating his first ammendment rights. They have put up with him wasting the courts time for long enough now, frankly I'm amazed they lasted this long.

From what little I know, they aren't.
They're not stopping him from braying to the moon if that's what he desires.
They're not even stopping him from filing suits.

All they're saying is that in order to file such a suit, a competent legal expert other than himself must also agree that the suit is warranted.

The only thing I wonder is why they went this route instead of just flat out disbarring the man.

Kwil:
[quote=Talisker]
The only thing I wonder is why they went this route instead of just flat out disbarring the man.

Probably because, as much as he is a bane to gaming's existence, he's just an annoying prick elsewhere. Which, in the land of lawyering, isn't punishable by disbarring.

The briar patch analogy might work, but as everyone in Kansas already knows about Fred Phelps, there are few things more dangerous than a disbarred lawyer with egomania and an armoury of axes to grind.

Jack just wants attention, always have and will. Even if he by come mirical he looses his job as a lawyer he'd still try and sue the game industry etc but using other lawyers. But sadly when that happens no one will notice him as he'd just be a crazy odd man, instead of crazy ass lawyer

Think for a first course of action this is quite a good move to hear about. Much harder for him to make a credable case against the court (since hes not being disbarred he cant claim ublawful dismissal or whatever) or make him a martyr to his supporters. But, given his taste for the outlandish Id be surprised if hes able to find a genuine fellow lawyer willing to stick their necks on the chopping block alongside him when it comes to cosigning some of the things he submits.

Echolocating:

sammyfreak:

Yeah. They're sick and tired of him, so he's basically feeling like he needs to take on the court IN court.

Also, isn't there a mental disorder involving people who refer to themselves in the third person? Something relating to narcissism?

Wasn't there a game called "You Don't Know Jack?" (Sorry. Lame attempt at humor.)

How much you bet he blames "Grand Theft Auto" for convincing the Florida Bar to throw him out on his head?

So, Jack wants to uproot an entire judicial system just to make a point? Can this guy even say he lost ever in his life, or is he one that spins everything around to show favor in his cause that the system is corrupt?

Just because we're sane and gamers threatens his ideals in court me thinks.

I'd say they'd rip Jack a new one, but he's already such an asshole it would be a moot point...

REDPill357:
How much you bet he blames "Grand Theft Auto" for convincing the Florida Bar to throw him out on his head?

I think he'll be blaming Phoenix Wright.

monodiabloloco:
I like Jack! He makes the rest of us look sane and normal! When ever I decide to do something that may be considered unusual, I ask myself, "Self, are you as wacked out as Jack?" and so far the answer has always been a sound, "No.".
Besides, how many of your..opponents?..enemies?.. can you just hand the proverbial shovel to and watch them dig their own graves?

If you've ever read Artemis Fowl, you'd remember that the dwarf dug his own grave... technically... okay, so that doesn't count.

But yeah. This is pretty damn good for us, methinks. Maybe he'll go and leave us alone?
Pffft... yeah right. But it'll be much easier to ignore him now.

Finally, the legal system does something right.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here