Spore Creatures Outnumber Real Ones

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spore Creatures Outnumber Real Ones

The Spore Creature Creator has exceeded Will Wright's highest hopes, with the number of creatures created with the software now exceeding the number of known species on Earth.

Released in mid-June, the Spore Creature Creator is available in both full retail versions and a free demo release, which offers limited functionality. The software was an immediate hit with gamers, resulting in the creation of 250,000 Spore creatures in the first day of release. "I was really hoping we'd get 100,000 creatures by September and a million by the end of the year," Wright said during a Spore demonstration at E3. "We hit 100k in 22 hours and a million by the end of the first week. The numbers are just blowing us away."

According to an AFP report, the number of creatures in the Spore database surpassed the number of known species on Earth in the second week of July, a remarkable effort but not quite enough to beat the Biblical high score. "It took them 18 days to reach the number of creatures on Earth and, by some accounts, it took God six days," Wright said.

The creatures created by gamers will populate the Spore game world via a central server, which will catalog and rate player-created content and then disperse the material to other player's games. Along with various species, gamers will also be able to visit planets created by other players and interact with their civilizations.

Spore, the hotly-anticipated new effort from Will Wright and Maxis, is scheduled for release in September for the PC and Mac.

It was an epic presentation. He didn't talk much about the game (after all, its E3 and plus he couldn't have had much more to say, content-wise) but certainly proved that he could laugh with his audience. Like the whole 'Spore users are therefore 32% God' joke. Heh.

Bwahahahahaha! Computers make their first subtle step towards domination of organic life!

They now know that their squishy masters can be outdone!

Wait the computers didn't do that did they. Ignore me.

And how many of those creatures were actually only different versions of primary or secondary genitals?

So long
UnterHund

UnterHund:
And how many of those creatures were actually only different versions of primary or secondary genitals?

So long
UnterHund

Or Video game characters.

Malygris:
"It took them 18 days to reach the number of creatures on Earth and, by some accounts, it took God six days," Wright said.

...lol. That's going to create an uproar.

God is dead a lazy slob. - Will Wright

Stammer:

Malygris:
"It took them 18 days to reach the number of creatures on Earth and, by some accounts, it took God six days," Wright said.

Bets on how soon the Catholic Church are going to be outraged?

So... Penis-on-legs #1, penis-on-legs #2, penis-on-legs #3 ... penis-on-legs #12,362,851
Pikachu #1, pikachu #2 ...

Next target on the agenda: achieve similar biodiversity to Earth (given that it's rather hard to make small things in the creature creator, and that something like 20-25% of the animal species on Earth are beetles, this could be difficult)

The_root_of_all_evil:

Stammer:

Malygris:

Bets on how soon the Catholic Church are going to be outraged?

Outrage!

This is an outrage!

I am outraging!

Anyway: Seriously? So, 300,000 different versions of the male genitalia makes them proud? What douche bags.

Well, 25% of Earth's species are beetles, as it's already been said, so why can't 25% of Spore's creatures be genitalia? Right? Right? OK I'll shut up now.

TheNecroswanson:
Anyway: Seriously? So, 300,000 different versions of the male genitalia makes them proud? What douche bags.

Wait a second.

EA/Maxis provides a tool to build a diverse range of creatures to be shared via Spore, gives a version of that software away for free, and because a certain percentage of people (predictably) use the thing to build Giant Penis Monsters it somehow makes EA douchebags?

I'm not following your thinking here.

Malygris:

Neither am I.

Though, it is a great thing for the devs and EA to have this under their belt.

(an exclamation of disbelief or amazement)

Indigo_Dingo:
holy fuck.

Hahahaha. That is a post applicable to pretty much anything.

Dancing penises for the masses!

Indigo_Dingo:
holy fuck.

What an awesome concept. The virgin Mary and god doing the naught business known as the "Holy Fuck."

Well, I guess you would get massive numbers with a free offering of it. Alot of them would just be from the trial version of it.

Didn't they say they were going to come down hard on people who do that?

Malygris:

TheNecroswanson:

Wait a second.

EA/Maxis provides a tool to build a diverse range of creatures to be shared via Spore, gives a version of that software away for free, and because a certain percentage of people (predictably) use the thing to build Giant Penis Monsters it somehow makes EA douchebags?

There are ways to encode games to where certain combinations of items letters and numbers will not be allowed to be saved. Such as in Soul Calibur 3 you could not create a fighter named Satan, however you could have Jesus.
It's not the fact that it's possible, it's the pride they take in it that makes them douche bags.

I think they're weeding all those genital creatures out. Didn't the article say that the central server was cataloging and rating the creatures?

TheNecroswanson:

Malygris:

TheNecroswanson:

Wait a second.

There are ways to encode games to where certain combinations of items letters and numbers will not be allowed to be saved. Such as in Soul Calibur 3 you could not create a fighter named Satan, however you could have Jesus.
It's not the fact that it's possible, it's the pride they take in it that makes them douche bags.

And if you think about the diversity of shapes hat some people could consider Phallic, wouldn't that be impossible for the program to differentiate? Names is fine, but what you're suggesting would take artificial intelligence

Indigo_Dingo:

TheNecroswanson:

Malygris:

TheNecroswanson:

Wait a second.

And if you think about the diversity of shapes hat some people could consider Phallic, wouldn't that be impossible for the program to differentiate? Names is fine, but what you're suggesting would take artificial intelligence

It may, I don't know how the game works, but shouldn't there also be a way for them to program a lock on certain builds? I mean, it'd be like blocking the ability to make a round creature with square legs.

That didn't take long.

TheNecroswanson:

Indigo_Dingo:

It may, I don't know how the game works, but shouldn't there also be a way for them to program a lock on certain builds? I mean, it'd be like blocking the ability to make a round creature with square legs.

Well, then we'd have the problem of innocent creatures being banned because the AI could easily misinterpret a Pencil Monster as a Penis Monster.

But unless you're stupid enough to post your P-Men on the Spore website then keep your Cock Goblins in your own inventory please.

Overpopulation eh? Guess it's time to spay and neuter.

-and Necroswanson, whether your intention is for good or evil - limiting people's freedom in a game completely about freedom, is a bad idea.

Hell I would be fucking pissed if I couldn't name a character Satan, that's just stupid.

TheNecroswanson:

It's rather obvious you haven't tried the Creature Creator. Download the free version, try it out - I think you'll start to understand why your suggestion is pretty unreasonable.

TheNecroswanson:

You're pretty far off the mark with this, actually. Calling the Spore creators douchebags for providing a flexible software tool and the freedom to use it doesn't make sense on any level.

As for your suggestion that giant penis monsters be locked out via software restrictions, I'm going to join with Virgil and suggest you actually download the Creature Creator demo and try it before you get too firmly behind that suggestion. Unless they arbitrarily ban every long, vaguely dong-shape creature produced - which would doubtless produce a huge uproar of its own - there's just no way to make it happen.

Malygris:

As for your suggestion that giant penis monsters be locked out via software restrictions, I'm going to join with Virgil and suggest you actually download the Creature Creator demo and try it before you get too firmly behind that suggestion. Unless they arbitrarily ban every long, vaguely dong-shape creature produced - which would doubtless produce a huge uproar of its own - there's just no way to make it happen.

I mean, we're talking about a mostly young male demographic, they'd be playing...

I won't finish that sentence. :)

Anyway...about the church...

Sorry, I can't stop laughing at what stompy said.
I mean, EA must be proud to have 30,000 different penis monsters under their belt. It's very impressive.

The_root_of_all_evil:

That didn't take long either.

Johnn Johnston:

The_root_of_all_evil:

That didn't take long either.

Correction; took them long enough

I dunno me hearties.

The tags on teh church article are:

Tags: Fiction Friday · PC · fake news

hrmh.