Florida News Station Warns Of Pedophiles Offering Game Points For Photos

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Florida News Station Warns Of Pedophiles Offering Game Points For Photos

An Orlando CBS News affiliate is warning that child predators are offering game points in exchange for nude photos of children through internet-connected videogames.

In a report by Local 6 News, Florida Attorney General Cybercrime Detective Lieutenant David Maurer said, "Kids are playing games, and they are being asked to take photos of themselves naked in order to get game points. There is not only the chatting version of the games but also a webcam involved."

"My theory on it is that predators are going to go where kids are, and kids are playing videogames so it's a perfect place for them to be," he continued, explaining how his personal misgivings and complete lack of comprehension regarding videogames translated into iron-clad statements designed to elicit the greatest possible alarm from equally uninformed parents. At least one of those parents, Alida Magana, reacted predictably, revealing a blend of parental concern and mind-boggling ignorance by saying, "You think they're just watching a game, and like you said, I didn't really know they could actually get through the games and play a lot of people."

Local 6 reporter Donald Forbes said that at any time, "There can be 50 to 300,000 people online playing the most popular Internet-connected games," a number seemingly as random as the statements made by Maurer and Magana. Games cited by Forbes as being popular with children today include Halo 3, Call To Duty [sic], Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto. And while the majority of gamers online only want to play some games, according to the report, "Some of them are looking for more than just gaming action."

The video report accompanying the article is as compelling and informative as one would expect, saying that children on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and "even Wii" are at risk and using extended video clips from World of Warcraft mixed with shots of kids talking over Xbox headsets to make the point. Parental controls, a fixture on all three console systems, are just barely touched on, while the fact that only certain games can use cameras at all is completely ignored.

It all may sound like a joke, particularly coming from a man who sounds suspiciously like a coworker of Sergeant Frank Drebin, Detective Lieutenant, Police Squad, but the sad truth is that this is a serious report made by a very real news outlet in Orlanda, Florida. We've sent a request to the station for more details about the story, including an explanation of what the hell "game points" actually are; while we wait for a response, you can check out the horror for yourself at local6.com.

via: Kotaku

There's only one option left...damn can't get the link to work!
Curses!!

Malygris:
"There can be 50 to 300,000 people online playing the most popular Internet-connected games."

I play 50 different people an hour, and last night on Halo 3 (the only game I own that keeps track of the amount of people online at that time), there were 200,000 people onlineat that time alone. I think the estimate is a *little* low.

Also, as far as I know, you can't actually give someone else points. XBL Marketplace has Microsoft Points, which is the only thing I would take my clothes off for (I mean, come on. I need that horse armour), and they aren't tradeable.

In short, I give a resounding, "Um...what?" to that entire news story.

Slow news week? It seems like they;ve made up this story, seriously 'game points' wtf are they talking about? The closest thing I can think of is Xbox live points, but as far as I know they can't be handed between players so wtf are they going on about?

Malygris:
Games cited by Forbes as being popular with children today include Halo 3, Call To Duty [sic], Final Fantasy and Grand Theft Auto.

I'm not really sure as to why these big names are being brought into this. If this problem exists in these games at all, then it is simply the parents' fault for letting children play these games, as Halo 3, Call Of Duty and Grand Theft Auto all have very clear M ratings, and the kids should not be playing the game.

Erm...

Game points? Seriously? How much farther can this be stretched? Now people are just making things up!

I wonder if they just thought "Hey, you know what people are afraid of? Video games. You know what else they are afraid of? Pedophiles getting to their children. Hey! Let's just make up some bullshit story about how those two are related! Great idea!"

wow thats just inconceivable

BaronAsh:

Very poor choice of words. ;)

But given that Facebook, Bebo etc. all give away points for information and photos, what do you expect?

The 'net is no place for kids. Or a lot of adults. Freedom of Choice also means Responsibility of Choice.

And that goes double for scumbag journo's who are only after ratings. Do Paedophiles stay away from News sites and their indecent photos of naked celebrities? Nope? Then we should ban them as well.

The_root_of_all_evil:

BaronAsh:

Very poor choice of words. ;)

But given that Facebook, Bebo etc. all give away points for information and photos, what do you expect?

The 'net is no place for kids. Or a lot of adults. Freedom of Choice also means Responsibility of Choice.

And that goes double for scumbag journo's who are only after ratings. Do Paedophiles stay away from News sites and their indecent photos of naked celebrities? Nope? Then we should ban them as well.

I can't think of any point where Facebook offers you a reward for photos or information. I'm not familiar with Bebo, but I'm 100% sure that Facebook doesn't have "points".

I don't get it, Wii was supposed to bring gaming to the masses yet still people can't figure out how games work "looking at his game" ITS NOT A FRAKING DVD!!

It does make you worry about news in general if they can talk with such confidence about such serious issues yet neither the reporters nor their target audience (yes, news channels have target audiences) know anything about them. They do this with crime, terrorism, child abuse and major accidents where they don't consult any experts in the field or in the case of FOX news they consult and expert (like Geoff Keighley on Mass Effect) yet completely ignore and contradict what he says.

The problem with news is it's not about truth, it's about stories, they don't compete to see who can be the most accurate and detailed, they compete for ratings. I don't advocate government funded news (BBC is a disgrace) but viewers need to stop watching news that is just plane wrong!

Runs hand along thigh whilst licking lips. Slowly unbuttons shirt and casts it aside.

"Mmmmm....if you want the pants off, that's gonna cost you extra..."

Proceeds a cruel laugh.

Honestly, I laughed at this. What the hell are "Game points?"

Another thrown together report trying (yet again) to say games are dangerous and what an EPIC FAIL.

truly fail. truly

call to duty....

this is why no one can be trusted(the media),now quick to the safe house their coming to fill our heads with da shiznit!

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=spot_the_pedo

problem solved

smallharmlesskitten:
truly fail. truly

call to duty....

*ring*
hello?
Hello, is this duty?
No, this is arms
Ah, sorry, wrong number

*click*

Well, you have to admit, they certainly had to pull this out of their ass and they can be creative in times of need.

Though I'm sure everyone will forget comepletely about this news headline by tommorow. Hell, I've already forgotten what they said mostly.

This shows some signs of thought but has little in terms of real value. If they were to, for insance, say that adults over games can lure children away just as easily as they could over the internet, that I could understand. As it is, they're talking gibberish.

I subscribe to Choppers school of thought - pedophiles should be put to death (fuck understanding, there are no circumstances where molesting a child can be acceptable - if you are in love with a 16 year old, wait two damn years). But trying to blame gaming systems for that is just wrong. As is trying to tap our messages.

Maybe we should just not sell consoles to people who look like pedophiles.

The problem here though is that anybody with half a clue about gaming knows instantly this is just horseshit. Unfortunately, the people the story is targetting, the parents, friends of parents etc, don't and won't know it's almost entirely a work of fiction.

It's how the media machine works, and it works on polarisation... anybody trying to represent games or gaming systems against this is just the opposition in the argument, and presumably not to be trusted.

It's easy for us to laugh it off, not so much for the people who'll believe this stuff as it's spoon-fed to them, and accept it unquestionably as the true state of affairs.

meatloaf231:
I wonder if they just thought "Hey, you know what people are afraid of? Video games. You know what else they are afraid of? Pedophiles getting to their children. Hey! Let's just make up some bullshit story about how those two are related! Great idea!"

Kinda like this:

News Investigator: Sir, there was just a murder in an apartment! 4 people are dead, and the police have no leads!
Editor: So, we have nothing to report... well, what was in the room?
News Investigator: A phone, a TV, an Xbox, a-
Editor: Right, I've got it!

News Reporter: **smug voice** Shocking news today as 4 people were killed over a dispute involving a computer game...

Experts say that computer games are to blame for this travesty, and that all computer games should be banned. This sick, sick filth has got to end...

And now, we present the 'Bikini babes'...

It seems that more and more often, in any given situation, you are going to find sick people once in a while. I think that the report, which I have heard before from other news orginizations, is a very good warning to parents. Ultimatly, it is up to the parents to decide which games are appropriate for their children to play, but just because the game has a user friendly rating dos not mean that the parents should not observe their childs actions within the game. The report, to me, is saying "Hey, there are bad things out there. Don't let the games be the babysitter."

anyone who is saying this new cast is made up by the station apparently doesn't leave there homes very often because this can easily be explained as true. "Games points" as they say could be used to describe any point system in a game that requires real money in order to buy something. Microsoft points is one example. and you can easily go to the nearest Walgreen's buy $20 worth of them and then give the code to get them to some preteen boy. People often use these cards if they are under 18 and are using there parents credit card and cannot purchase Microsoft points online. This also refer to many computer games such as "Maple Story" which is quite popular with younger gamers. But lets not also forget the possibility of "gamer points" being misunderstood as actual in game money which if your not familiar with games could easily happen, and its not like nobody has heard of someone selling gold in WoW or gil sellers in FFXI. I'm not to familiar with PS3 or the Wii but i don't doubt there could be a way to buy whatever form of game currency they may use for a local target.

The fact is the new report is fully plausible.

Saying that my opinion on the whole topic is that I'm more surprised it hasn't been brought up sooner and i believe there are 3 groups at wrong here. first the pedophiles of course. second the parents for buying and letting there child use something they them self don't understand. and third the child for being so irresponsibly stupid to the point of taking a naked picture of them self.

(forgive any spelling/grammar error please)

personofaperson:
Anyone who is saying this Newscast is made up by the station apparently doesn't leave their homes very often. This can easily be true. "Game points" can be used to describe any point system in a game that requires real money in order to buy something. Microsoft points is one example. You can easily go to the nearest Walgreen's and buy $20 worth of them and then give the code to some preteen boy. People often use these cards if they are under 18 and are using there parents credit card and due to parental controls cannot purchase Microsoft points online. This also refers to many computer games such as "Maple Story" which is quite popular with younger gamers. But lets not also forget the possibility of "gamer points" being misunderstood as actual in game money which if your not familiar with games could easily happen. Its not like nobody has heard of someone selling gold in WoW or gil sellers in FFXI. I'm not too familiar with the PS3 or the Nintendo Wii but I don't doubt that there could be a way to buy whatever form of game currency they may use for a local target.

The fact is the news report is fully plausible.

My opinion on the whole topic is that I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up before this (Probably has- ed.) and i believe there are Three groups in the wrong here. The first group is the pedophiles. Second is the parents for buying and letting their child use something they themselves don't understand and the third party is the child for being so irresponsibly stupid to the point of taking a naked picture of them self.

That being said I doubt that the game's referenced above have that kind of feature. I also have serious concerns if Nintendo is allowing children to buy things for their products online. (Is there even DLC for the Wii)

Edited your post because I was bored.

The video report accompanying the article is as compelling and informative as one would expect, saying that children on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and "even Wii" are at risk and...

Yeah right. But only after those children entered the 10-digit friend code of the pedophile and somehow managed to communicate trough extremely limited or nonexistent ways...

smallharmlesskitten:

personofaperson:
Anyone who is saying this Newscast is made up by the station apparently doesn't leave their homes very often. This can easily be true. "Game points" can be used to describe any point system in a game that requires real money in order to buy something. Microsoft points is one example. You can easily go to the nearest Walgreen's and buy $20 worth of them and then give the code to some preteen boy. People often use these cards if they are under 18 and are using there parents credit card and due to parental controls cannot purchase Microsoft points online. This also refers to many computer games such as "Maple Story" which is quite popular with younger gamers. But lets not also forget the possibility of "gamer points" being misunderstood as actual in game money which if your not familiar with games could easily happen. Its not like nobody has heard of someone selling gold in WoW or gil sellers in FFXI. I'm not too familiar with the PS3 or the Nintendo Wii but I don't doubt that there could be a way to buy whatever form of game currency they may use for a local target.

My opinion on the whole topic is that I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up before this (Probably has- ed.) and i believe there are Three groups in the wrong here. The first group is the pedophiles. Second is the parents for buying and letting their child use something they themselves don't understand and the third party is the child for being so irresponsibly stupid to the point of taking a naked picture of them self.

That being said I doubt that the game's referenced above have that kind of feature. I also have serious concerns if Nintendo is allowing children to buy things for their products online. (Is there even DLC for the Wii)

When you say "I doubt that the game's referenced above have that kind of feature" do you mean halo3, cod4 and such? and when u say "feature" if your talking about buying Microsoft points from a store they DO have it. its not for the GAME but for the system. I've done it before, you give the clerk $10 and then they give you a card with a 9 or so digit code on it and you enter that code into your xbox and you have the corresponding amount of Microsoft points added to your account. A pedophile could easily say "hey little boy if u show me your penis ill give you this code for 1000 Microsoft points"

personofaperson:
When you say "I doubt that the game's referenced above have that kind of feature" do you mean halo3, cod4 and such? and when u say "feature" if talking about buying Microsoft points from a store they DO have it. its not for the GAME but for for the system I've done it before, you give the clerk $10 and then they give you a card with a 9 or so diget code on it and you enter that code into you xbox and you have the coresponding amount of Microsoft point added to you account. a pedifile could easily say "hey little boy if u show me your penis ill give you this code for 1000 Microsoft points"

If the kid actually does what the pedophille says then there's something wrong with both of them. I mean, the kid has to have some common sense...right? Plus, it depends on how old of the kid we're talking about. If it's 8 years old then most likely he or she will learn to not talk to strangers, if its 15 or so then the kids an idiot.

Haha! Well at least this station is trying to be a little more gaming literate. Despite the fact that its, well, still a load of crap. '50 to 300,000 at any one time'? A bit low, don't you think? Besides, there's age limits on these games for a reason, and they all do say the experience could change during online play.

Jumplion:

personofaperson:
When you say "I doubt that the game's referenced above have that kind of feature" do you mean halo3, cod4 and such? and when u say "feature" if talking about buying Microsoft points from a store they DO have it. its not for the GAME but for for the system I've done it before, you give the clerk $10 and then they give you a card with a 9 or so diget code on it and you enter that code into you xbox and you have the coresponding amount of Microsoft point added to you account. a pedifile could easily say "hey little boy if u show me your penis ill give you this code for 1000 Microsoft points"

If the kid actually does what the pedophille says then there's something wrong with both of them. I mean, the kid has to have some common sense...right? Plus, it depends on how old of the kid we're talking about. If it's 8 years old then most likely he or she will learn to not talk to strangers, if its 15 or so then the kids an idiot.

Exactly thats why the blame should be based on 3 groups. Perverted pedophiles, ignorant parents, and irresponsible and stupid children. in that order.

It reminded me of when Faux News told everybody that pedos could harass your children with their Nintendo DS, or that PSPs were manufactured to download pr0n...

A bunch of bull made to cash in on the craving of the average 'merican on fear...

Innocent children as young as 5 are being exposed to mind altering games, that are being asked to take take part in terrorist activities in order to get 'level points'.

My theory on it is that terrorists are going to go where kids are, and kids are playing videogames so it's a perfect place for them to be and brainwash your children!

You think they're just watching a normal friendly plumbing game, but they are really playing and talking to a lot of different people that could be pedophiles, black people or even terrorists.

There can be 5 to 300 people on the 'interweb-machine' playing the most popular Internet-connected games, a number seemingly as random as the statements made by Maurer and Magana. Games cited by Forbes as being popular with children today include Halo 2, Call For Duty, Final Fantasy 6 and Mario. And while the majority of gamers online only want to play some games, according to the report, "Some of them are looking for more than just gaming action." Porn, drugs and terrorist mind washing has become a huge part of video games today.

Ok, finished my report. Now to send it off to Fox and make big $$$.

BlazeTheVampire:

I can't think of any point where Facebook offers you a reward for photos or information. I'm not familiar with Bebo, but I'm 100% sure that Facebook doesn't have "points".

I can't be certain (as I don't have Facebook) but does this sound familiar?

Gamepoints?

personofaperson:

smallharmlesskitten:

personofaperson:

When you say "I doubt that the game's referenced above have that kind of feature" do you mean halo3, cod4 and such? and when u say "feature" if your talking about buying Microsoft points from a store they DO have it. its not for the GAME but for the system. I've done it before, you give the clerk $10 and then they give you a card with a 9 or so digit code on it and you enter that code into your xbox and you have the corresponding amount of Microsoft points added to your account. A pedophile could easily say "hey little boy if u show me your penis ill give you this code for 1000 Microsoft points"

Ok, but thats not possible for the Ps3, as it doesn't try to rip us off with points. So, this is a 360 only problem. Yet again. (The others being costly memory upgrades, uncooperative and rude online users and paying for online).

Jumplion:

personofaperson:

Most pedophiles play off of two things - a childs innocence in sexual matters (not know where its bad to touch) and their fear of upsetting an adult. They're not going to be blunt, they're going to be reassuring. They'll say shit like "Its okay, I just want a picture of my new friend" and "If you don't show it to me I'll be very upset". Then again I'm just guessing, but it doesn't seem like they'd be very successful if the just said "Take your pants off" to every kid they saw.

Depends also on the mentality of the kid.
One of my best friend had a girl in 10th or 11th grade who, at 16 and with a quite poor family, admitted she already was sleeping with boys picked up from night clubs in exchange for presents and money to buy herself trendy threads and stuff... And was proud she was clever enough to choose the easiest way...

Some "kids" are so materialistic and venal that they feel whoring oneself is AWWWRIIIIIGHT...
I just can hope they're not that many, but again...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.