Fallout 3 Edited For Australia

Fallout 3 Edited For Australia

It's no great surprise but it's still good news of a sort for Australian gamers: An edited version of Fallout 3 will be released Down Under for gamers who don't want to fall afoul of the country's importation laws.

Gamerchip has a report saying representatives from GAME and EB Games have confirmed a modified version of the title has been added to their release schedules. Few details are available, although the site says the game has been edited to remove drug use, which caused the country's Office of Film and Literature Classification to refuse to issue the game a rating in the first place. Presumably, explosive, slow-motion headshots, thermonuclear immolation and other graphic forms of murderous carnage will remain intact.

The game was initially reported as banned in early July due to the presence of "chems," a variety of real and fictional drugs which can affect a player's stats and abilities. One of the OFLC's many guidelines states, "Material that contains drug use and sexual violence related to incentives and rewards is Refused Classification," a rule which, right or wrong, the Fallout games blatantly contradict. While some gamers have expressed their intention to import the game from overseas, after much debate it was determined that doing so would violate Australian Customs laws regarding the importation of material that has been refused classification. While the penalty is small - generally resulting in no more than the seizure of the game - unlucky gamers could find themselves out some bucks with nothing to show for it.

Whether or not this convinces die-hard Fallout fans to shop Australian is up in the air. More casual gamers will likely opt for the convenience of the domestic version, but long-time aficionados may not be happy playing a neutered release. And while the censored edition of the game has not yet been reviewed and passed by the OFLC, the changes are presumably targeted to address the censor's complaints, and it would appear that once again our Aussie fellows are going to suffer as a result of their government's inflexibility and willful ignorance toward videogames.

Yep, well I knew the official-peoples would get this up soon enough.

It's way better than mine, too.

But doesn't Fallout 3 also have the gameplay feature of getting addicted to the drugs (which causes more harm than good)? It just seems a little... ignorant. They hear that there are useable drugs in the game and their mental walls come up which causes all logical thought to be overcome in one fell swoop.

dammit.

this means yahtzee can review it then in his incredibly pshycotic manner this fall.
Oh well, look forward to it (UK seems to have approved it so far).
Knowing my luck the BBFC (Upper class twits with monocules and top hats) will take control of ratings and ban every game bar hello kitty online adventures (which will be rated Adult Only)

tehbeard:
dammit.

this means yahtzee can review it then in his incredibly pshycotic manner this fall.
Oh well, look forward to it (UK seems to have approved it so far).
Knowing my luck the BBFC (Upper class twits with monocules and top hats) will take control of ratings and ban every game bar hello kitty online adventures (which will be rated Adult Only)

He'll just import it via GAMETRADERS ROBINA!

One more evidence of the stupidity of the law. They ban a game for the rather subtle use of drugs to alter stats, but let the supreme gore pass through. I guess that's a fucked up law system we've got there. Let's nuke Sidney and finish off the survivors with chainsaws and shotguns, it's the only way to be sure.

Australia is possibly one of the lamest place in the world.

oh man. i'd hate to be yahtzee having to play the censored version of that.

and different drug levels affect how the game plays? experiencing someone else's virtual drug trip?! how much more awesome is THAT?!? lol that should be the slogan for the anti-drug corps: keep the drugs off the streets and in the video games where they belong!!

i always wanted to play a video game where you went to someone's salvia trip. that's mad enough in the real world ...

MaybeTroll:

Well, not really. Life is alright over here, but if there weren't ignorant, poisoned-by-Jack-Thompson politicians going on about violent/'avatar rape' video games it'd be close to a perfectly habitable place.

The OFLC is horribly... inexperienced... when it comes to classifying stuff - they let the wrong things in and the right things out.

I was always gonna import it. The OFLC is a complete crock and we got that prick from SA, backward inbreed basted, preventing the creation of an R18+ rating for games.

It's not easy to find on their website but you can actually go and moan at OFLC about the lack of an adults only rating for entertainment software. Here's the link http://www.classification.gov.au/special.html?n=1&p=227 go and fill it out, takes only five minutes and who know it might even make a difference once it gets processed in 20 years from now on (knowing Aussie bureaucracy). Forward the link to people you know and post it on other gaming webistes you visit, it's now or never I suppose.

Fucking hell. I wanted to import it.

Indigo_Dingo:

You can still import the un-edited version and get hit with a hefty fine.

sigh....

I really do hate having to download something i would have been perfectly happy to pay for....
But I WILL NOT play a censored game.

Fire Daemon:

Indigo_Dingo:

Yeah, but that will result in the copy being seized, which will leave me precisely nowhere.

Indigo_Dingo:

Fire Daemon:

Indigo_Dingo:

Yeah, but that will result in the copy being seized, which will leave me precisely nowhere.

Wait wait, if the game is allowed to be sold in the country, then aren't we also allowed to import a copy? I thought we could as soon as the OFLC allowed sales to happen in this country, over-the-counter.

Censorship Ftw! Seems a little backwards to me. Is it like this with everything or does Austrila jsuut hate videogames? I also heard you cannot own guns?

CarlosYenrac:
sigh....

I really do hate having to download something i would have been perfectly happy to pay for....

Agreed, it sucks but unless there is some form of way to remove the censorship (Not likely) I will not buy a censored game.

wait for someone you know to leave the country, have them buy the game, stick it in another box and bring it back?? A little far-fetched, true.

Arcticflame:

CarlosYenrac:
sigh....

Agreed, it sucks but unless there is some form of way to remove the censorship (Not likely) I will not buy a censored game.

Why not buy the censored copy, then download the full version? That way Bethesda get their money, and you can still play the game.

Note to Australians: Stop electing dumbasses and this shit might not happen.

Joeshie:
Note to Australians: Stop electing dumbasses and this shit might not happen.

Hey, I'm not old enough to vote. Though, even if I was, it wouldn't help: I don't live in the retarded electorate that keeps voting for Michael Atkinson, so I can't do much about it.

MaybeTroll:

just because we have strong import and ratings laws is no reason to badmouth Australia plus we are getting a "R" rating for our videogames soon

FascistHippie:
Censorship Ftw! Seems a little backwards to me. Is it like this with everything or does Austrila jsuut hate videogames? I also heard you cannot own guns?

no we can own guns but we can oly own them if we have a valid reason for them mine is i use it for sport. but because of all the U.S (no offence) shooting that occour we have tougher laws

AWC Viper:

MaybeTroll:

just because we have strong import and ratings laws is no reason to badmouth Australia plus we are getting a "R" rating for our videogames soon

But will it be soon enough, I don't understand what the big deal is?
Yes video games are violent, but so is real life. By refusing to let someone live out a fantasy in a game, they may be forcing someone to do something illegal to get the same kick. What is better, murder on the streets, or murder in a game? If it's virtual, then it's not harmful. Besides, if it's violence and drugs they want to ban, why ban the people from PAYING for it? If they want that sort of thing and they are willing to spend their own money on it, then why stop them? They can just as easily get it off the internet, and for free to. The government is run by old, technologically inept people that can't comprehend how everything is changing. It just bugs me that they aren't willing to accept reasonable changes to how something works. They really, need to get with the times.

Good to hear that they left in the violent graphic brian spatter and dismemberments but took out those nasty drugs. Seriously, you wouldn't want any child to play a game with drugs in it.

Aries_Split:
He'll (yahtzee) just import it via GAMETRADERS ROBINA!

(face palm)

for everyone in australia, just take a nice "holiday" to Britain or America and take a nice stroll to the local GAME or gamestation.
sounds expensive i know but ive had previous bad experiences with importing stuff and apart from getting a private courier which costs the same as a liver and both kidneys.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here