Firefly MMOG Delayed; Buffy Announced

Firefly MMOG Delayed; Buffy Announced

Bad news for gamers hoping to find some Serenity of their own: The Firefly MMOG has been delayed.

The news follows the announcement of an upcoming MMOG based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly creator Joss Whedon's other, more popular, property. Game Daily News speculates that Whedon and Fox have focused their efforts on the more lucrative Buffy franchise, resulting in the Firefly delay.

The new Buffy MMOG will allow players to experience the game world as either a "fully immersive 3-D environment or as a Flash-based 2-D game," with interaction between players in both modes. The game will be launched as part of Multiverse Places, described by MMOG platform developer Multiverse as a "new social virtual world."

"As a brilliant storyteller and world-maker, Joss Whedon crafts stories that expand perfectly into the new medium of virtual worlds," said Multiverse co-founder Corey Bridges. "Not to give away too much, but when the Buffy team finished the television series, they created the perfect launching point for an MMOG where everyone will feel like they're an important character in the ongoing story."

Fox says the Firefly MMOG is still in the works, so fans shouldn't give up hope just yet, but the property's failure as a television show and movie is a big liability. Presenting the 'verse in a manner that would satisfy fans of the franchise is also a very dicey proposition - you can't all be Mal or Jayne, kids - and questions about the long-term viability of the game are very valid. Serenity ended the Firefly series on a satisfying, if not entirely happy, note; perhaps it would be best to just leave it at that.

Not so shiny :(

(random chinese cursing)

In all honesty, I kind of agree though. A Firefly MMO would be hard to pull off, especially with a fan base as rabid as this one is.

"fully immersive 3-D environment or as a Flash-based 2-D game"

This already looks like a blockbuster of an MMOG; how can you go wrong with creating something that translates well as both of those, in all its massive, multiplayer glory? Immersive 3-D! Too many dimensions? Pick one, we'll drop it, and it'll still be good, honest!

(if I broke any sarcasm meters there, I apologize)

BOO - I love me some Firefly :(

...a MMO? When the main point of Firefly was the characters? Great thinking there ~~

Personally I hope both these projects crash and burn ~~

Firefly didn't fail as a TV show. Fox execs are just retarded.

Firefly is a really neat little show that never really got a chance. Even the movie, marketed more as a gesture towards hardcore Firefly fans, didn't get the bank it could have.

That being said, this is a good decision. I love Firefly, but the IP is entirely too small and self-contained to really contain much in the way of accuracy, which means a lot of it would have been completely new. I'd much rather that resources be put towards giving Firefly one last attempt on TV, running the correct, complete set of episodes on more than just an obscure time on Sci-fi or attaching it to another show's coattails. Probably not likely, but it would be nice.

NOOOOO! YOU ******** AAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! FUCK BUFFY!

Well, the problem as far as I'm aware is not that Multiverse didn't get support from Fox/Whedon for the Firefly MMO - it's that they didn't get a development team together.

The Buffyverse is slightly more suitable for an MMO, certainly - everyone can in fact be a Slayer. But this business of "fully immersive 3-D environment or as a Flash-based 2-D game" sounds very vapourware-ish to me.

Ah, Buffy. One of the many reasons I don't watch TV anymore.

NO! BAD JOSS! Serenity>Buffy (haven't seen Firefly, so...)!

As much as I love both series, I'd prefer a Firefly MMORPG. And I'm worried by that "fully immersive 3-D environment or as a Flash-based 2-D game" Unless that means that you'll have the game (3d) and some minigame which unlocks XP and items for your character (2d)...still even then I'm worried.

I'd prefer to have a single player Firefly game, where you can have some character development. And Buffy as a whole, i couldn't care less.

But Buffy is far more conducive to MMOG conversion than Firefly. You've already got a well-developed background story that encourages PVE and PVP combat, you've got clearly defined factions and character classes, you've got a game world that's relatively simple to duplicate, and you've got the benefit of building a game around a proven hit rather than a little-known cult phenomenon that, while admittedly awesome, couldn't even finish out a truncated tv season.

For me it comes down to a matter of taste. I loved the Buffy series, but at no point do I see myself actually enjoying being a part of it as one of the factions/characters. The content is already defined, and already seen by me once.

If they're going with all-new stories and concepts that were not already covered, then we're back with wondering why they stopped with Firefly. It's the same Whedon storytelling in a world not already been mined out for 7 seasons of shows (more if you count Angel).

Dammit. Suckage.

Jhereg42:
(random chinese cursing)

Random nothing! BUFFY YOU BITCH, Cao ni zhu zong shi ba dai!
Hope I spelled that right...

Damnit Whedon, why do you let that whore outshine Serenity?

Just think back to early Buffy, and relax.

And we'll get our Firefly, don't you worry. And it better have the series' music, not the Serenity music.

Gorram.... somethingorother! Gaah!

What makes it worse is this is the FIRST I've heard of a Firefly MMO!

Loop Stricken:
Gorram.... somethingorother! Gaah!

What makes it worse is this is the FIRST I've heard of a Firefly MMO!

And what makes it even worse is that this news is 11 months old.
Necromancy, away!

"Fox says the Firefly MMOG is still in the works, so fans shouldn't give up hope just yet, but the property's failure as a television show and movie is a big liability."

Failure as a television show....hmmm, I wonder who or what is to blame for that?!

Why the HELL does Fox have ANYTHING to do with the Firefly franchise? They gave up on it before the pilot even aired....(or, more precisely, when the pilot WOULD have aired). It's Joss' baby, and Fox needs to stay the hell away from it.

Firefly/Serenity as a mrpger would be very difficult to make into a good game experience, considering the show is only partly about the world, but mostly about the characters struggling to survive in it. I reckon it would make for an awesome action-rpg ala Kotor though. If you think of it, each TV episode was set up similarly to how missions in Kotor was set up.

Fox and Joss should go talking to Bioware on this one!

"but the property's failure as a television show and movie is a big liability."? SCREW YOU, FOX! Geeze, the show had a hit number of fans who wrote in when you cancelled it. A failure, You guys are the failure.

That geek shout out of the way, I'd be happy to see a game based os either, or both, universes!

Makes more sense, Firefly has to be good because it will fail otherwise. There is already a paper and pen version about if you are wanting Firefly. Another is that Buffy, actually would fit better as an MMO. It is X person taking on X thing. It also gives more options since you can be a whole lot more. I hope they have the vengeious demons as a option. Just would make it a whole lot of fun, for the crassness of them. Plus a whole lot easier to be good.

ramzaw:
"but the property's failure as a television show and movie is a big liability."? SCREW YOU, FOX! Geeze, the show had a hit number of fans who wrote in when you cancelled it. A failure, You guys are the failure.

That geek shout out of the way, I'd be happy to see a game based os either, or both, universes!

Was it really necessary to revive a thread that's over a year old?

I've never quite got how Buffy is more popular than Firefly.

Firefly was one of about a dozen television shows in my entire life that actually sticks with me.

I've watched many, but only about 12 have honestly been worth the time spent watching them.

hmmmm space pirates....... I wanna be a reaver...just waiting on the fringes of the 'verse....paintin' mai ship with peoples:)(and space wh***s)

I'm happy to wait about 10 years at least. Dont waste a good idea on bad technology. If your gonna make a good space mmo the last thing we need is another EvE with some cheap comedy thrown in. Let Joss and co develop the IP with more media like the graphic novels and even a sniff of a serenity2, rather than waste it rushing out some piece just for the cash. When they do it I hope it's huge and shiney and with all the atmosphere of the series.

I've only seen the Firefly film, maybe i should watch sometime

This reeks of money grubbing to me. Neither one needs a MMOG, hell do a decent game not a MMOG.

theultimateend:
I've never quite got how Buffy is more popular than Firefly.

Firefly was one of about a dozen television shows in my entire life that actually sticks with me.

I've watched many, but only about 12 have honestly been worth the time spent watching them.

it isn't that hard to understand buffy coppied the mythology format and horror/humor genre blending that made the X-files so popular at the time

So it really is a rule that everything needs to be an MMO now...

Wonder whats next.

You do know that this news is two years old, right? It's likely the Buffy MMO the article refers to is either indefinitely delayed or canceled, as, well, we haven't heard anything about anything like that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here