Jack Thompson Disbarred - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Jack Thompson Disbarred - UPDATED

The day has finally come: Jack Thompson has been disbarred.

In a press release, the controversial former attorney, who described himself as "nationally and internationally known by virtue of his effective and successful opposition over the last 20 years to the broadcast, marketing and sale of adult-rated entertainment to children," announced that the Florida Supreme Court has accepted the recommendation of Judge Dava Tunis and disbarred him from practicing law.

Despite Tunis' statement that her recommendation was the result of "cumulative misconduct, a repeated pattern of behavior relentlessly forced upon numerous unconnected individuals, a total lack of remorse or even slight acknowledgment of inappropriate conduct," Thompson believes there's a more conspiratorial bent to his disbarment. "This disbarment is in retaliation, among other things, for Thompson's Tyndale House book Out of Harm's Way, published in 2005, which blew the whistle on the Florida Supreme Court's earlier efforts in the 1990's to literally pathologize his faith-based and successful activism against the American entertainment industry," the ex-lawyer claimed in his statement.

He also claimed the timing of the decision resulted from a federal civil rights suit Thompson filed on September 19 against the Florida Bar, the Florida Supreme Court and all seven Supreme Court Justices. "The rush to disbarment is in retribution for the filing of that federal suit," he said. "With enemies this foolish, Thompson needs only the loyal friends he has."

Thompson is, of course, fully aware that the decision regarding his disbarment has been due in September since before Judge Tunis issued her recommendation, and statements like this, while fun, are also rather sad reflections of his increasingly fantastic and paranoid state of mind. His ongoing bizarre behavior has also resulted in many of his erstwhile "loyal friends" distancing themselves from his campaigns, although to be fair, he was recently awarded, rather ironically, a 2008 Freedom Award by America's Freedom Festival in Provo, Utah.

While this is the end of Thompson's legal career, it almost certainly won't be the end of his efforts to capsize the videogame industry. If anything, Thompson's rhetoric may become even more heated, as he will no longer be constrained by the guidelines and restrictions of the legal profession - not that such regulation ever had much impact on his behavior to begin with. But his status as a former lawyer, and the circumstances of his disbarment, will be inevitably intertwined with any of his future media interactions, lending far greater accuracy to his credibility than we've seen in the past.

And despite everything, Thompson is still swinging from the mat. "Thompson looks forward to successfully litigating his federal claims, now before U.S. District Court Judge Marcia Cooke in the Southern District of Florida," he said in his statement. "Thompson always wanted to own a Bar. Now, armed with multiple U.S. Supreme Court rulings that no state bar can do what it has done to Thompson, he is set to own that Bar."

So long and farewell, John Bruce "Jack" Thompson. It just won't be the same without you.

UPDATE: Thompson has filed an emergency motion to stay the decision of the Florida Supreme Court to permanently disbar him from practicing law. Thompson claims the disbarment order contains "demonstrable factual errors," and also that his disbarment will prevent him from carrying out his duties as a lawyer for one Richard Gorman, currently in jail as the result of a conspiracy carried out by Assistant State Attorney Matthew Alex Smith, with assistance from the Board of Governors of the Florida Bar. He also just can't seem to stop himself from submarining his own efforts to salvage his career, even when things are most desperate: As part of his request for a stay, Thompson wrote, "Additionally, it is fascinating that Justice Cannady, who has undoubtedly reviewed absolutely nothing about this disciplinary case, has put his name to this disbarment order on the day that he was served with the federal civil rights action. What a coincidence."

This is it? The day has finally come? Rejoice!

Maybe he can turn his sights to game development. I quite enjoyed I'm O.K - A Murder Simulator.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Not until his career is buried with a stake through its heart, in a lead-lined coffin, and under running water.

But still, it is heartening to see the Florida Bar finally realise what a disgrace JT was to its public image with his shoddy practices and abusive manners.

-- Steve

My faith in humanity has been restored. At least until I press that "View New Posts" button.

Even though he had a vision, or a goal of sorts, the man is not a good example of a respectable member of society. Like Anton said, he was a disgrace to the legal system, politics and quite possibly human kind. Well, I guess those things are already pretty disgraced, but he just made them dirtier.
Regardless.
He'll be back.

About freaking time, the gaming industry can rest easy tonight

Jack Thompson is the best thing to ever happen to video gamers. There's nothing more valuable than a human strawman being the most vocal and visible member of your opposition.

May we now continue our gaming?

Omnidum:

But they're no fun anymore without being hated :( Dammit, I want someone to hate us again! ;)

Huzzah! I hoped, and waited, and finally the day has come. JT was held accountable for his irresponsible actions and abuse of the authority he had (HAHA) as a lawyer.

R.I.P. Funny Man. Although your replacement is inevitable, they will never be the same.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Omnidum:

But they're no fun anymore without being hated :( Dammit, I want someone to hate us again! ;)

Well, there's always mainstream to hate us.

Dam, now there maybe someone competant that will come after us.

Oh shit, now someone who's an actual threat to the video game industry might try to take his mantel.

Edit: Beaten by one post, you lucky fu--

From here on out, this will be rememebered as "Jack Thompson Disbarrment Day", to be celebrated by gamers everywhere. Everyone, tonight the Florida Justice System deserves a Toast. Be sure to give them one.

OK, so he's not a lawyer anymore, Whoop-de-freaking-do. Like the article says, he's still going to protest violent video games and try to have them banned (And also have their creators tried as criminals and imprisoned) and no one can stop him from doing that.

That's the beauty of the American constitution, one citizen can use his freedom of speech in order to try and take away someone else's freedom of speech.

Jobz:

That's the beauty of the American constitution, one citizen can use his freedom of speech in order to try and take away someone else's freedom of speech.

Then use it to silence him.

Omnidum:

Jobz:

Then use it to silence him.

Sadly I'm one of those rare cases who believe everyone should have freedom of speech, even if their views are stupid and their arguments are backed up by lies (Read: Jack Thompson). So for now I'll continue to do what I always did, ignore the bastard, cause I know he isn't going to have any real affect on anything.

Rare is the day the american judicial system makes a good call concerning video games, but today is one! Hurrah! Next up...uwe boll. >)

Omnidum:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Omnidum:

Well, there's always mainstream to hate us.

Just watch Fox News. They will have all the gamer hate and logic-less debates you need. :D

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Now that he's gone, who's face can I stick to the Dartboard?

He'll be back people, this is a small, if not temporary, victory.
If not him, then it could be someone even worse.

Words can't describe, should of sent a....poet....

Update-God dammit

Oh...I almost read that as 'Jack Thompson found dead' sorry...that's wrong of me I know, I just read it too fast...

Still, the disbarment, good news I'd assume ^^'

Who wants a celebratory cookie?

Re: the emergency motion to stay the disbarment... who filed it for him? I thought Jack had no standing to file without the approval of another member of the Bar, thanks to his earlier antics... or is he ignoring that, and thus bound to be ignored by the Court?

-- Steve

*cheers* Hurrah!

Anton P. Nym:
Re: the emergency motion to stay the disbarment... who filed it for him? I thought Jack had no standing to file without the approval of another member of the Bar, thanks to his earlier antics... or is he ignoring that, and thus bound to be ignored by the Court?

-- Steve

That restriction on Thompson only applies to Florida Court; his attempt at having his disbarment stayed, along with his other suits against the various figures involved in this mess, are federal, where for the moment at least he can still making filings without needing a permission slip.

Now if we could only get this acknowledged as a paid national holiday...

I'll try not to speak ill of the dead, but I just don't get this guy. If he seriously buys even half of what he's selling why act in the way that ends up here as opposed to doing serious litigation and grass roots representation?

Oh well, reap what is sown (did I spell all that right?)

Yes

I'll be in charge of the confetti

I fell part-glee, part-shame that I'm so glad that someone's career was just ruined.

Mostly glee.

Ding-dong the witch is dead,
Which old witch?
The wicked witch.
Ding-dong the wicked witch is dead!

we won! gamers actually won something!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username: