Gamers Forced To Be Choosy This Christmas

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gamers Forced To Be Choosy This Christmas

Signal Hill analyst Todd Greenwald says the rough economic situation is going to drive consumers toward established, proven franchises rather than the unknown quantities of new IPs this Christmas.

Greenwald said the tight cash situation facing parents and gamers will discourage them from taking risks on games they're not familiar with, suggesting that while Activision's holiday lineup looks strong, Electronic Arts is rolling the dice a bit with its focus on all-new titles Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, as well as its reliance on yearly sports game releases that offer little over previous versions. THQ may also be facing a bumpy ride over the Christmas season because of its heavy reliance on licensed Nickelodeon games in the crowded DS and Wii market and questions about the sales potential of Saints Row 2.

"We don't subscribe to the notion that the videogame industry is completely recession-proof," Greenwald said in his latest investor note. "Rather, we believe that both gamers and parents alike will have a tougher time this holiday buying every game they want. As a result, we believe that overall industry sales may be negatively impacted but that strong, triple-A titles should still sell well and drive growth for those publishers that have the right line-ups."

"We believe this bodes well for games like Guitar Hero 4, Call of Duty 5, Wrath of the Lich King, Spiderman: Web of Shadows and James Bond: Quantum of Solace," he continued. "On the other hand, this may be a risk for titles from EA and from THQ."

"If gamers are forced to be more selective, we believe they will take fewer risks with their cash and will only be drawn to highly-rated, proven IP with strong buzz and compelling new features," he continued. "At the same time, we believe they will be prone to passing on new, unknown titles, as well as annual iterations of sports or licensed games that have few new features or innovation."

Could be a rough year for the kids, better for the hard working adults tho.

Well, it's unfortunate for the new IP's, but it makes sense. But people shouldn't just dismiss games because they're not part of an established franchise - they should do a little research. I know that I'm definitely getting Dead Space, and Mirror's Edge sounds interesting. And I'm also getting Fallout 3, but not just because it's "Fallout" - I looked into it and made a decision on what I thought of previews.

You might want to qualify the statement and say it will be tough for Americans.

Indigo_Dingo:

Dingo, the US economy is linked to the global share market, and if they get hit hard, we do too. Australia is actually going to get hard by this Wall Street Crash; we're not exempt.

As for the article, it does seem to be a reasonable conclusion. Though, I will have a look at the reviews for the game before buying, but I never buy more that 3 games anyways.

As long as I get Resistance 2, and COD 5, I couldn't care less about most other games.

All I care about is Konami, and they have TWO castlevania games coming out within a month of each other (Way to multitask, guys!). Sure, one of them is a fighter, and will probably amount to another button masher like Soul Calibur 1-4, but at least I can do the Alucard vs. Death battle and play as the other side this time! *glee*

I need Dead space, fable and fallout, nothing more, nothing less.

Indigo_Dingo:

Gunna be pretty tough for ethiopians also.

I'll be getting Far Cry 2 and Mirror's Edge as soon as they are released.

One of the benefits of being an Atheist is not having to wait until Christmas...

Uncompetative:
One of the benefits of being an Atheist is not having to wait until Christmas...

I wasn't aware that there is a law that states that Christians cannot purchase anything at any time other than Christmas.

Actually, I'm much the opposite of this statement. Sure, there are a couple of established series titles I'm interested in, but the games I'm most excited about are the new IP titles like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space.

Also, I will most definitely not buy CoD5. Anybody else notice how extremely similar the CoD4 and CoD5 box arts are?
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty 5

This would be more of an issue if there were good games on the horizon, but it's just crap after crap right now. Not hard to be choosy when your choices are limited to only one good sounding title in a hundred anyways.

Khell_Sennet:
This would be more of an issue if there were good games on the horizon, but it's just crap after crap right now. Not hard to be choosy when your choices are limited to only one good sounding title in a hundred anyways.

Seriously? Dead Space, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead, Fable 2 - none of those look any good to you?

stompy:

Indigo_Dingo:

Dingo, the US economy is linked to the global share market, and if they get hit hard, we do too. Australia is actually going to get hard by this Wall Street Crash; we're not exempt.

As for the article, it does seem to be a reasonable conclusion. Though, I will have a look at the reviews for the game before buying, but I never buy more that 3 games anyways.

Yes, but it remains to be seen if the American crash will be quite bad enough to actively trigger a global depression. The economic state is different than it was 70 years ago, and it is unlikely to actively cripple the global economy to the same degree.

Indigo_Dingo:
Yes, but it remains to be seen if the American crash will be quite bad enough to actively trigger a global depression. The economic state is different than it was 70 years ago, and it is unlikely to actively cripple the global economy to the same degree.

Seeing as Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Iceland, Spain, Italy, and Japan are all having plunging stock prices (and some bank failures) because of this I wouldn't bet the farm (literally, in particular) on that. Australia and Canada aren't getting hit as hard yet, but with our export markets suffering we'll likely suffer too when they're too broke to pay for our stuff.

-- Steve

I call bulls***. Spending patterns in response to financial crisis scenarios have always been strong in the entertainment sector. People stop buying big stuff that costs too much and start spending cash on tiny things to feel less frivolous. And given the unemployment rate and tough future, people are going to be very interested in engaging entertainment.

And people are going to ditch the well known series this year. They're either going to buy the games they've always meant to buy and get at bargain, Call of Duty 4 for example, or pick up games that take a long time to beat, original IP be damned.

Indigo_Dingo:

If America sneezes, the rest of the world gets a cold.

We're gonna sneeze soon. Don't worry though, viruses take a while to infect.

Indigo_Dingo:

It's not just global recession that's hitting us, but our own internal credit crunch as well. You know, our dollar is at $US00.66? We also have a debt ratio of 165%, compared to the 64% at the start of the Great Depression. Our economy, while not as bad as the US's, is definitely going to face a crunch.

Also, it seems that, this time around, that our economic downturn is hitting the households (because of the excessive debt taken out by Australians), meaning it'll hit the retail sector hard. When a household needs to save money, they stop spending on non-necessities, and what better to stop spending on then a $110 product that may last 6-8 hours?

Edit: Damn, beaten to the point by Anton and Arab... and written better too.

ElArabDeMagnifico:

Indigo_Dingo:

If America sneezes, the rest of the world gets a cold.

We're gonna sneeze soon. Don't worry though, viruses take a while to infect.

Fine, man, I just don't like the prospect of World War III because America screwed up again. Is it so bad to hope?

Indigo_Dingo:

stompy:

Indigo_Dingo:

Seeing as how the rest of the worlds governments are cutting their interest rates because of tightening credit for business operations, it's safe to say that everyone is going to be hurting quite badly unless something is done. The world was just beginning to globalize in 1929, I think we've become a lot more interdependent since that time.

As for the Game issue I don't think I'm going to be as affected by the crash, unless my mortgage goes up (which it had better not since it's fixed) the only games so far that are 'musts' for me are Fallout 3 and Gears 2. I'll probably get more, but need to see what's going to happen.

Indigo_Dingo:
Fine, man, I just don't like the prospect of World War III because America screwed up again. Is it so bad to hope?

Hopefully, world war won't be the solution this time around...

L1250:

Uncompetative:

I wasn't aware that there is a law that states that Christians cannot purchase anything at any time other than Christmas.

There isn't. I was referring to the title of this thread:

Gamers Forced To Be Choosy This Christmas.

If it wasn't in some way referring to that section of the market that gives/receives presents around the 25th December, many of whom are by the very nature of the festival reasonably expected to be Christians, then the thread should have been rephrased:

Gamers Forced To Be Choosy In The Fourth Quarter Of 2008.

If I hadn't over-generalized I wouldn't have been able to make the 'joke'.

ThaBenMan:

Seriously? Dead Space, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead, Fable 2 - none of those look any good to you?

Deadspace yes, never been a Fallout fan, never heard of Mirror's Edge, not a big fan of Valve's games so L4D isn't completely off the list, but it's not high priority. And Fable... Fable lost my interest the second they decided to yank the minimap in favor of a dog, and I've learned that what Molenieux promises versus what Molineaux delivers is separated by roughly the same distance as my Canadian ass is from the beaches of Hawaii.

The ones you failed to mention that actually do interest me... Well, ONE, not ones, but Starcraft II, pending the condition it releases this year. Don't know when FEAR2 is out either, but it's about the only other game I eagerly anticipate.

BleachedBlind:
Anybody else notice how extremely similar the CoD4 and CoD5 box arts are?
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty 5

Oh my god! No way!
Do you think they're... somehow... made by the same people?

I think my finances are adequate to buy the games I want on top of anything I need to get for others.
I was only planning on buying three games (at the very most) anyway.

The Iron Ninja:

BleachedBlind:
Anybody else notice how extremely similar the CoD4 and CoD5 box arts are?
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty 5

Oh my god! No way!
Do you think they're... somehow... made by the same people?

They're published by the same people. I just think Treyarch is once again trying to poorly imitate the work done by Infinity Ward, and now they are going so far as to copy the box art of their predecessor. And why the hell are they going back to World War II?

Codgo:
Could be a rough year for the kids

You're right. Take it from me, it is.

On a Serious note, I hope that the situation manages to improve somehow by Christmas, if possible.

BleachedBlind:
And why the hell are they going back to World War II?

"No one's done the Pacific Theatre before! We'll be hailed as revolutionaries in the World War 2 sub-genre!"

stompy:

BleachedBlind:

"No one's done the Pacific Theatre before! We'll be hailed as revolutionaries in the World War 2 sub-genre!"

It's tried-and-trueish. It's easy to make a WWII shooter. Plus, just because the guy next to you in the pie-making kitchen suddenly decides to make a cake, and it turns out great, doesn't mean you know how to make one. Stick to pies.

stompy:

BleachedBlind:

Nope, Medal of Honor has a couple Pacific Theater WWII games from a few years ago. Again, Treyarch sucks.

Thank Christ for my savings. I knew not getting smashed every weekend had some sort of advantage to it.

Meh, I've been forced to be choosy with the games I buy, so it's nothing new to me.

BleachedBlind:
Nope, Medal of Honor has a couple Pacific Theater WWII games from a few years ago. Again, Treyarch sucks.

Uh... I was being sarcastic... that was what I heard to be their reason to do a WW2 FPS in the Pacific, but, as you point out, it's been done before.

meatloaf231:
\It's tried-and-trueish. It's easy to make a WWII shooter. Plus, just because the guy next to you in the pie-making kitchen suddenly decides to make a cake, and it turns out great, doesn't mean you know how to make one. Stick to pies.

There's that too, though, I don't think there's anything wrong with a WW2 shooter; it's more about the gameplay, and I didn't play that many FPSs back in the hey-day, so WW2 is a turn-off in a shooter for me.

Just get little timmy addicted to mmos over the holiday season, with the way the media are going on about the financial crisis its not like hes gonna have any future anyway.

Khell_Sennet:

ThaBenMan:

Deadspace yes, never been a Fallout fan, never heard of Mirror's Edge, not a big fan of Valve's games so L4D isn't completely off the list, but it's not high priority. And Fable... Fable lost my interest the second they decided to yank the minimap in favor of a dog, and I've learned that what Molenieux promises versus what Molineaux delivers is separated by roughly the same distance as my Canadian ass is from the beaches of Hawaii.

The ones you failed to mention that actually do interest me... Well, ONE, not ones, but Starcraft II, pending the condition it releases this year. Don't know when FEAR2 is out either, but it's about the only other game I eagerly anticipate.

Ok, fair enough. Between you and me, Fable II doesn't look that great to me either, but a lot of people are anticipating it, so I included it. But the rest of those I will probably get at some point. And if you haven't heard of Mirror's Edge, you should check it out, it looks pretty nifty.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here