Microsoft: Xbox 360 Will Win Over PS3 This Christmas

Microsoft: Xbox 360 Will Win Over PS3 This Christmas

Xbox 360 Group Product Manager Aaron Greenberg has boldly predicted that the Xbox 360 will outsell the PlayStation 3 over the holiday season in both North America and Europe.

Okay, so maybe a Microsoft guy predicting a Microsoft victory isn't exactly "bold," but if September is any indication of things to come, he may at least be right. Price cuts across the Xbox 360 lineup in September resulted in a significant boost for the console, not enough to push it past Nintendo but more than adequate to muscle past Sony into second place, with sales of 374,200 systems compared to 232,400 PlayStation 3 consoles sold. (Nintendo, for the record, remained at the top of the heap with 687,000 Wii units sold, according to NPD figures.) Perhaps even more impressively, the 360 outsold the PS3 in Japan in September for the first time ever.

It's a trend Greenberg believes is going to continue. "We expect to continue our price advantage over the PlayStation 3 for a long time," Greenberg told Kotaku. "And we feel confident that we'll outsell the PS3 this holiday season in North America and in Europe. We'll do it on a global scale." He also pointed out the Xbox 360's very high attach rate of 8.1 games per console, compared to a 2:1 rate for the PlayStation 3 and 3:1 for the Wii, as another reason to have high hopes for the console. "We've seen lifts across all consoles, but the Arcade is doing exceptionally well," he added.

The price cut is obviously having a huge impact on Microsoft's console sales, and Greenberg's optimism was no doubt strengthened by Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Kaz Hirai, who said last week that Sony had no intention of making similar price cuts to the PlayStation 3. But the strength of Sony's commitment to that stance will be sorely tested if the reduced prices continue to drive Xbox 360 sales at the expense of the PS3.

The PS3 has a lower attach rate than the Wii? Interesting, unless Wii Sports counts.

He's probably right, the consoles have comparable holiday lineups and the 360 goes for cheap. It's really a rather safe assumption.

Wow, i can't believe the Wii is still crushing them both combined.

I can. The PS3 is essentially same-old same-old (A PS2 with better graphics and Bluray (whoopty-shit)), and 360s are so crash-prone that buying one is practically a form of gambling.

Look at exclusives for 360, OK now look at the exclusives for PS3, now look at the prices.

It appears that the 360 has legions of fans waiting for any one of them. PS3 people(as in already own it and would be deep into core gaming)are the only ones looking towards the exclusives for PS3(with a few swing buyers)

Both try to cater to casual gamers and any one who'd buy the console, with the Little big planet recall this has been detrimental to SONY, as for MS they have all guns blazing into the holiday market with every exclusive that will bring in housewives and more fratboys.

The fight is fair but it turned to MS favor at a key time with price recalls, and other factors making the PS3 sit in the rear. Not for long though if they have a way to fix this.

I'm jealous of the lucky fools that get both Gears 2 and Killzone 2.

Holy crap! A Microsoft employee....predicting their success?

I know Malygris said that, but I just wanted to emphasize that.

Why is is always Microsoft who boast. Is it because they have an Inferiority complex?

Well, this was pritty much a certainty anyway. Fable 2, Gears of War 2, plus the 360 gone down in price. The only PS3 exclusive is LBP which is great...but its not going to do as well as the other games this christmas

smallharmlesskitten:
Why is is always Microsoft who boast. Is it because they have an Inferiority complex?

Why is it that people can't remember anything? Sony and Nintendo boast plenty too.

Eldritch Warlord:

smallharmlesskitten:

Why is it that people can't remember anything? Sony and Nintendo boast plenty too.

My beef is that they have been boasting for the last while

"OH WE CAN PLAY MGS4 WE HAV GOOD HAAARDAAAWRE!"

SomeBritishDude:
The only PS3 exclusive is LBP

Resistance 2?
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift?
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation?
Valkyria Chronicles?

All of these are out before Christmas in Europe.

Oh look. One gaming company thinks its console will outsell another.

In other news, kittens are cute, Southern India is hot, and I would lose in a pistol duel with Vladimir Putin.

harhol:

SomeBritishDude:
The only PS3 exclusive is LBP

Resistance 2?
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift?
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation?
Valkyria Chronicles?

All of these are out before Christmas in Europe.

The only one of those I am jealous of is R2.

why do we always see articles about Microsoft gabbing off about the PS3 being inferior? I own a 360 and a PS3 and there are great games coming out for both, but I see more variety in PS3. I don't see anything like Littlebigplanet coming out for 360, but i also don't see anything like Fable 2 coming out for PS3. I personally believe the two are tied. And i believe people who look at the face price of a 360 and jump right in will be disappointed to find out there is no hard drive attached to it. Its like selling a half made system in the generation.

360 has Left 4 Dead, PS3 has Resistance 2 (and yes, resistance does rely heavily on teamwork in Co-op). 360 has Fable 2, PS3 has Littlebigplanet (not really related, but still two games out of the shooter norm). Gears of War 2, Killzone 2. The console started with on simple question, do you like Metal Gear Solid or Halo? I know i'm missing a lot of exclusives, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

It all comes down to preference, but i feel both sides aren't digging deep enough. The PS3 is a great value being an extremely powerful system with blu ray and free online play (although it is pretty quiet online), but a bit pricey. The 360 is also very powerful and cheaper (possibly due to the HD-DVD being sold seperately) and a great online community that, while needs to be paid for, is great and always has people playing, but you will have to press the mute button a lot.

Also, to respond to someone who said the PS3 is doing everything the same, I have to disagree. One main difference is Sixaxis which, while being pretty abused and mistreated, is still an interesting factor is games. Sure, you may just have to shake it every now and again, but it does add another level of depth. And the new 360 interface looks awesome, no doubt about it.

Both consoles have strengths and weaknesses, whether it be price or a good chance of malfunction. This has been a long enough rant, but it is really annoying to see Microsoft openly state that they will defeat PS3 this season, or rather to ever see it. This is a console "war", but they should keep it clean and let numbers and gamers do the talking.

jsouth88:

I agree with you, but I must add that the Arcade version of the 360 has a built-in half-gig hard drive.

That'll do fine if you do nothing but play games on dvd and the pre-packaged XBLA titles. And don't get too many games.

I'll laugh so hard if they get their asses handed to them. R2 is most likely going to just destroy Gears 2 in terms of quality, as far as I am concerned Gears 2 doesn't even exist. Halo 3 Recon looks more interesting than Gears 2 and I hated Halo 3. That said Fable 2 is definetly a good counter to LBP though I honestly think that LBP will end up being bigger than Fable 2 only because the last Fable was only alright. Besides this whole recall mess actually caught the attention of non gaming media.

Well, you might think Halo 3 sucked and that the first Fable was only so-so, and that's cool. It's what you thought of them, and I have no problem with that. But millions of others loved them, and will buy the next editions of each of them. Same with Gears 2. Even if R2 ends up a better game, it won't affect Gears 2 sales. When it comes down to it, they tend to be mostly the same system with a few different games. One costs way less and occasionally shits all over itself (and doesn't have some of the big titles- MGS4, R2, LBP, etc), and the other is solid and reliable, but the number of quality games, the questions about control(ler)s, and game load times and glitches are it's suspect points. Mostly it's personal preference. It just looks like more people prefer cheaper for comparable gameplay. Everybody here is right- predictable.

SomeBritishDude:
Well, this was pritty much a certainty anyway. Fable 2, Gears of War 2, plus the 360 gone down in price. The only PS3 exclusive is LBP which is great...but its not going to do as well as the other games this christmas

You forget Resistance 2, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, Naruto: Unlitmate Ninja Storm (Hey, don't knock it the Demos pretty sweet), SOCOM:Confrontation, Home itself (release date given is in Novemeber), and if I say any more Decoys gonna show up and act like a prick again.

Ok, let me point something out - Gears 2 won't do shit for console sales, cause all the people who are gonna buy the game, already bought the 360 for Gears 1. All the 360's got to go by are Banjo (but how likely is it that the sort of die-hard Rare fans who will be its target market haven't bought a 360 already?) and Fable II. So, its Fable II, versus Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigplanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, Fat Princess (with all the free publicity it got its gonna be pretty big), Home, and so on.

A franchise can really only boost sales in a significant way once. Or, to do it again, it must make a significant change. No matter which side you're arguing from, we can all agree that has not happened with Gears 2 (the widespread occurence of it being called Gears 1.5 is evidence of that).

Indigo_Dingo:
Ok, let me point something out - Gears 2 won't do shit for console sales, cause all the people who are gonna buy the game, already bought the 360 for Gears 1. All the 360's got to go by are Banjo (but how likely is it that the sort of die-hard Rare fans who will be its target market haven't bought a 360 already?) and Fable II. So, its Fable II, versus Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigplanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, Fat Princess (with all the free publicity it got its gonna be pretty big), Home, and so on.

A franchise can really only boost sales in a significant way once. Or, to do it again, it must make a significant change. No matter which side you're arguing from, we can all agree that has not happened with Gears 2 (the widespread occurence of it being called Gears 1.5 is evidence of that).

I would argue God Of War 2 was God Of War 1.5 but that didn't stop it from being awesome. Same goes for Gears Of War 2. If it ain't broke...
I agree with you that it may not shift units like Fable 2 will, but it will translate into a LOT of software sales.

Programmed_For_Damage:

Indigo_Dingo:

I would argue God Of War 2 was God Of War 1.5 but that didn't stop it from being awesome. Same goes for Gears Of War 2. If it ain't broke...
I agree with you that it may not shift units like Fable 2 will, but it will translate into a LOT of software sales.

This isn't talking about software, its talking about console sales. While not changing it does allow them to recapture the original market, but means it will not actively capture any new market. Thus, it is not going to do anything significant for sales of the 360.

Indigo_Dingo:
This isn't talking about software, its talking about console sales. While not changing it does allow them to recapture the original market, but means it will not actively capture any new market. Thus, it is not going to do anything significant for sales of the 360.

Never say never. Halo 2 and Halo 3 both outsold their predecessor (Halo 1 < Halo 2 < Halo 3) I guess some new "frat boyz" joined in.

shatnershaman:

Indigo_Dingo:

Never say never. Halo 2 and Halo 3 both outsold their predecessor (Halo 1 < Halo 2 < Halo 3) I guess some new "frat boyz" joined in.

Halo 2 had some changes made (whether they were good or not is not relevant here, what matters is they changed some things), as did Halo 3. Its that particular instance that begs the question, rather than all sequels in general.

Indigo_Dingo:

shatnershaman:

Indigo_Dingo:

Halo 2 had some changes made (whether they were good or not is not relevant here, what matters is they changed some things), as did Halo 3. Its that particular instance that begs the question, rather than all sequels in general.

So what Gears of War 2 has no changes? More story elements. "Bigger and more Badass" battles replacing the "You and the 4 man entourage of Locust". Matchmaking added to multiplayer. New modes like Meat Flag and Horde.

OK, so microsoft thinks they are better than Sony, and have been waving their dicks at them and shouting atop the hills with a megaphone that Xbox is the greatest thing on the planet.

So why does this shit still make headlines?

And here I was, thinking that the companies wanted their console to have the higher attach rate... maybe the number of consoles sold is bragging rights.

Regardless, I'd be a bit surprised if the Microsoft employee didn't think this product would win.

It is one thing to have confidence in your console and believe that it will come out on top. It is another thing to believe in it and openly state that your console is a step above the other. It comes off as cocky. It seems like Microsoft is the Kanye West of the gaming industry. Lots of talent and has some great work. But sometimes you just want him/them to shut the fuck up.

ElArabDeMagnifico:
OK, so microsoft thinks they are better than Sony, and have been waving their dicks at them and shouting atop the hills with a megaphone that Xbox is the greatest thing on the planet.

Because their dicks got RROD. Real nasty, like superaids. Someone better get them some penicillan quick.

TsunamiWombat:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

Because their dicks got RROD. Real nasty, like superaids. Someone better get them some penicillan quick.

Win.

Eh. Of course he's going to say their console will do better than the PS3. He's got to talk it up, and I expect we'll see something similar for Sony in a day or two.

That said, I think the 360 will do better than the PS3 this Christmas. Perhaps not double the PS3's sales, but definitely bigger. Most stuff coming out is multiplatform, so people looking for a conventional console will likely go for the cheaper 360 and pick up some games with the saved money.

Novajam:
Eh. Of course he's going to say their console will do better than the PS3. He's got to talk it up, and I expect we'll see something similar for Sony in a day or two.

That said, I think the 360 will do better than the PS3 this Christmas. Perhaps not double the PS3's sales, but definitely bigger. Most stuff coming out is multiplatform, so people looking for a conventional console will likely go for the cheaper 360 and pick up some games with the saved money.

Yea until they realize they got ripped off.

At least Sony can still claim backwards compatibility over X-box, with two generations of solid titles to boot. Same with Nintendo, though you need to purchase the game through them.

Also years of hearing complaints from proud X-box owners has made me wary of the system. A shame really, because I was looking forward to Fable 2.

Guess I need to wait for the PC release.

Eldritch Warlord:

That'll do fine if you do nothing but play games on dvd and the pre-packaged XBLA titles. And don't get too many games.

It actually came back and bit us in the ass, because Microsoft is having a hard time trying to fit the fall update onto the arcade bundles.

Yeah, I think the 360 probably will sell better than the PS3. The new price cut will really help sell them this holiday season.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here