"Persistent Pirates" May Be Thrown Offline

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"Persistent Pirates" May Be Thrown Offline

A new proposal to ban "persistent pirates" from the internet has been passed by the French senate, bringing it one step closer to becoming law.

The senate voted "overwhelmingly" in favor of the law, which would implement a three-strike rule for people caught downloading copyrighted materials online. First-time offenders would receive an email notifying them of their bad behavior and telling them to stop; a second offense would net a letter in the mail, presumably a stronger warning to knock it off. Users caught illegally sharing files a third time would find themselves without a net connection.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy described the idea in late 2007 as "a decisive moment for the future of a civilized internet," and the Senate apparently shares that conviction, voting 297 to 15 in favor of the measure. If enacted, the law will require internet providers to monitor their users for "casual piracy," which will themselves be monitored by a new government body dedicated to anti-piracy efforts. Companies in France will also be encouraged to install software to block file sharing by employees.

A member of the right-wing Mouvement pour la France party attempted to modify the proposed law before the change to impose fines on pirates, saying that internet access had become an "essential commodity," but the amendment was rejected. How the proposal will fare if it becomes law, which appears virtually inevitable, is difficult to say; the European Union rejected an idea to impose a similar law across the EU in April 2008, saying it would conflict with "civil liberties and human rights."

Source: BBC

Never seen a bigger bullshit in a long time. So everybody "sharing" a legal file over file sharing ( as it is done a lot nowadays to distribute patches, demos, trailers without killing a single server ) is put in the same bucket as somebody downloading a cracked game. Way to punish legal users ( why comes "fuck the state" to my mind reading this? )

France is going to get assraped for this.

How on Earth do they propose to kick someone who is adept at the art of getting past copyright filters/ hackingetc. off the internet?

Yarr 'tis a shame, no more swashbucklin' for me or the landlubbers take me youtube away.... Yarr....

Oh come on, did no-one else think that?

Never before have I seen a bigger misconception of what the Internet is since Senator Prisoner Ted Stevens.

It's Ok Wordsmith, I thought that too.

Cid SilverWing:

so true

Why is there a picture of Fifa 2002?, If you are going to make pirates of a game, you wouldn't make them of that game.

needausername:
Why is there a picture of Fifa 2002?, If you are going to make pirates of a game, you wouldn't make them of that game.

It contains a picture of a French footballer, Thierry Henry, and the issue is in France.

wordsmith:
Yarr 'tis a shame, no more swashbucklin' for me or the landlubbers take me youtube away.... Yarr....

Oh come on, did no-one else think that?

Yarr! Ye be right matey.

curlycrouton:

needausername:

It contains a picture of a French footballer, Thierry Henry, and the issue is in France.

Fair enough

needausername:

curlycrouton:

needausername:

Fair enough

Glad to be of service.

I dunno. I'm not seeing this is such an overwhelmingly negative light. I mean, even if I'm really not sure if it'd work, the idea isn't all that bad. And it's lenient too - I mean, three strikes before any punishment is hardly harsh. As long as they wouldn't get pegged unfairly, it strikes me as a reasonably good idea, if hard to implement.

Is this France's plan for punishing people for not moving to a better nation? Or is this a government coverup for a national Internet shortage?

Nicholas Sargozy : Zat's it zen. France have managed to combat the entire Internet.
Horst Koelher : Germany finds itself disagreeing with your position.
Sargozy : We surrender!

What happens when you put a whole bunch of white old men in a room and tell them in the vaguest terms there's a problem in an environment they know almost nothing about?

Foolhearty publicity stunts, that's what! Nothing says "weighted opinion" more then rash and unworkable "solutions"!

Ah politics. Truly, you are the great unifier.

Khell_Sennet:
Is this France's plan for punishing people for not moving to a better nation? Or is this a government coverup for a national Internet shortage?

Ze tubes! They are clogged!

Amnestic:

Khell_Sennet:

Zere's no Canada like French Canada, it's the best Canada in ze land.
Cuz our Canada is a webless Canada, we copied France now your Internet is banned.

Knowing France , I bet there's gonna be a lot of protesting, hacking of the governements and Sarkozi's computer is not impossible. It does not seem to be widely known but we do have a Pirate party , as wacky as it sounds.
Then it depends on how thoroughly this law will be applied , if at all.

Bypassing the surveillance will always be possible (as long as human rights are not totally forgotten), in fact thinking about it I may be eager to try my mind against professionnals ; plus it would add a spicy adventurous feeling when I download.

Khell_Sennet:

Amnestic:

Khell_Sennet:

Cuz our Canada is a webless Canada, we copied France now your Internet is banned.

HA! It's Scott... And Scott's a dick.

Anyway, I'd like to see them try.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Nicholas Sargozy : Zat's it zen. France have managed to combat the entire Internet.
Horst Koelher : Germany finds itself disagreeing with your position.
Sargozy : We surrender!

I suddenly had an image of the internet detouring around the Maginot Line to sweep into Paris for a crushing victory.

Here's a couple of "persistent pirates".

Good thing I do not live in France! I do feel sorry for people who like the Pirate Bay in France though. Kind of like gamers in Australia.

TheNecroswanson:

Khell_Sennet:

Amnestic:

Khell_Sennet:

HA! It's Scott... And Scott's a dick.

Anyway, I'd like to see them try.

Fuck, you buddy! I'm not your buddy, friend! I'm not your friend, guy! I'm not your guy, buddy!

You're not my buddy, friend.
You're not my friend, guy.
You're not my guy, buddy.
You're not my buddy friend.

Yeah. France sucks enough as is, I never really saw the attraction to the place as a tourist spot, the people are insufferable, everything costs five times what it's worth, and the locals speak French. Better off vacationing in England, Italy, or Germany, depending on what floats your boats. Now with the Interwebz under fire, the only thing France has going for it is... Well, nothing really.

Khell_Sennet:

Yeah. France sucks enough as is, I never really saw the attraction to the place as a tourist spot, the people are insufferable, everything costs five times what it's worth, and the locals speak French. Better off vacationing in England, Italy, or Germany, depending on what floats your boats. Now with the Interwebz under fire, the only thing France has going for it is... Well, nothing really.

Slightly cheaper booze than England would be one plus point, but why not just go to Belgium instead?

EpicFailGuy:

Khell_Sennet:

Slightly cheaper booze than England would be one plus point, but why not just go to Belgium instead?

Yeah, and Belgium has Bruges!

...Anyone who hasn't seen the movie In Bruges won't get that.

Sirisaxman:

*ahem* it's Fuckin' Bruges.

Cid SilverWing:

Theyre french... will more than likly enjoy it.
"Oh ho, the silly americans, they hate us even more now uh. Is good to be hated ja."
Actually scratch that. America is getting to that point too just as a excuse to moniter all its citizens.

Wait... can't people just use proxies?

Naw. They're trying to get the ISPs on board, which means they'll be examining how much bandwidth you use and what ports that bandwidth is flowing through. Too many foolish teenagers use BitTorrent clients with their default, insecure settings enabled. Makes things too easy for the ISPs, you know? Running through a proxy won't do anything because the ISP probably isn't too interested in where the traffic is going, just what the traffic is probably consists of. See?

ElArabDeMagnifico:

Sirisaxman:

*ahem* it's Fuckin' Bruges.

Quite correct! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who saw that AWESOME movie.

Bruges is a shithole!

How the hell do you ban someone from the internet in this day and age? Do they send you Emails saying you've won the French national lottery and arrest you if you try to claim it?

axia777:
Good thing I do not live in France! I do feel sorry for people who like the Pirate Bay in France though. Kind of like gamers in Australia.

Well, after a law is passed, there is still the need for an application decree for said law... we Froggies have still some time before shits sharts hitting the fan...
It's just State-made bullying, but the actual legal procedures are expensive, of course we will be in a tight spot, but we can hope it won't be put into pratice.

FACT : this is like the Olivennes bill (named after the previous FNAC CEO), just another way to pander greedy corporations instead of understanding wtf is going on... I think it won't start ruining our fun before next year... hopefully they'll harass 5 or 10 random nizzles living in suburban projects and call it GREAT SUCCESS, because in truth nobody gives a shit, they more or less stopped arresting and fining people who download after the first ones (to set an example), because we have much more dangerous individuals out there...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here