"Persistent Pirates" May Be Thrown Offline

Pages PREV 1 2

Isn't the internet considered an essential commodity nowadays? I can understand if you drive drunk too much you lose your car and are force to use public transportation, but what can replace the internet? The most obvious penalty that comes to mind would be the loss of email. I can see some big time business owner get busted and have to talk to other CEO's by physical mail and fax.

They aren't going to be able to impliment this properly.

Between the Pirate Bay and Planet Emulation it's not as though the French government has done much to stop piracy up to this point, so I've little faith that the Froggies will be successful with this measure.

Thank the gods. Planet Emulation and PirateBay are the godliest resources on the Internet for ze zilly Americans and zere pirazee, non?

Obviously the popular opinion on this one is heavily weighted against this effort, which leads me to a question: Why? Why is there such an effort to support the "rights" of pirates?

Blank__:
No, not really, but thanks for telling me it won't work. Even if I don't get why.

Malygris:
Obviously the popular opinion on this one is heavily weighted against this effort, which leads me to a question: Why? Why is there such an effort to support the "rights" of pirates?

Pirates have no rights, their position is indefensible, they can make valid observations about the industry but none will exonerate them.

"...monitored by a new government body dedicated to anti-piracy efforts." is what outrages me about this legislation.

It is a government declaring that it will peer into the homes of it's citizens and treat them all as suspects, no government is or has ever been worthy of that kind of trust. With violence and hatred still endemic, it is astounding they can find the time.

stompy:
Wait... can't people just use proxies?

I think it's like axing their line, they can't use their connection to even get to a proxy, and proxy downloading is awfully slow, which is what they want them to do, stop downloading. I think it's an abomination, not as bad as talkin CCTV which I will destroy if I see, but still pretty bad.

Andy Chalk:

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to tell you why, but I think you already know.

Think of the type of people that usually pirate stuff, usually young to mid twenties and very internet/tech savy.

Now think of the average escapist member, usually young to mid twenties and very internet/tech savy.

Arr... tis be a sad day in me career as, RedHead Asuka the Ruthless. Ye scurvy landlubbers always trying to impose on me internetz. No more saling the great, grey wonder. Yarr...

Alas, me hardies, yon captain shall ram this ship up there poopdeck! Yarrr~!

Andy Chalk:
European Union rejected an idea to impose a similar law across the EU in April 2008, saying it would conflict with "civil liberties and human rights."

European Union has gained 2000 reputation with me. Silly French :P

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or