U.S. Army Seeks To Test Virtual Soldier A.I. in WoW

Pages PREV 1 2

rougeknife:

Anton P. Nym:

Robert0288:
not just wow, they did say eve online, there's a lot less 14 year olds there. But alot more asshats that will try to con you. Thats all we need an angry skynet running around trying to find some guy who conned him out of all his stuff.

SkyNet taking on the Goon Fleet; it's like a beautiful, wonderful dream...

-- Steve

Its a learning AI right?

If so, then we are truly screwed. Because once SkyNet finishes off the last of the goon, the world will be destroyed by a massive goon 'esk' rush of robots screaming:
'ALLAH ACKBAR'

And as your Plasma rifle goes dry after hours of slaughtering the fodder robots, know that I fucking called it.

you have called it,

backster:
What does it matter if they are human like or not? Can they keep me healed and keep aggro during our hunt for Sarah Conner? Well lets be honest here if the army can get them working perfectly then the 900 lines can actually be automized and more humans will be out of work....till they learn to program and make their own pron droids!

AHAHAHAHAHa

sv93:
I doubt you can program a robot that can walk, talk, and recognize human commands. There is no way that would even be possible. I think it would be sweet to have them in games though!

Well, a couple of years ago, AI was walking. A university in America tested a learning AI by placing it inside a machine that was basically just a pair of legs and no programming, and the damn thing was walking within the hour.

Elurindel:

sv93:
I doubt you can program a robot that can walk, talk, and recognize human commands. There is no way that would even be possible. I think it would be sweet to have them in games though!

Well, a couple of years ago, AI was walking. A university in America tested a learning AI by placing it inside a machine that was basically just a pair of legs and no programming, and the damn thing was walking within the hour.

now thats scary.

Robert0288:

Elurindel:

sv93:

Yep. Just rig a gun and a pair of arms up to it, and you've got a killing machine. Alternatively, if we gave it a language ability, and gave it the ability to respond to communication and no movement, we could talk to it.
now thats scary.

stompy:

domicius:
An AI that can pass the Turing test, eh? Good luck to them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test)

Now, that's cool, them working on a robot that can pass the Turing Test. However, if they wanted to test the AI on World Of Warcraft, wouldn't it go against the EULA, a la the Glider bot ?... Double standards much.

I assume they would get permission from Blizzard.

This scares me...
Plus how do you get drunk online with AI?

slayermaster:

Sounds like our babies are falling behind on the evolutionary ladder!

Amnestic:

That's obvious. However, wouldn't it mean that Blizzard has double standards, or is it allowable for companies to alter their EULA to suit their needs...?

Anton P. Nym:
Here's a headline I want to see: "Army Killbot Prototype Gets Gang-Ganked in WoW".

-- Steve

I'd prefer: "Army Killbot Prototype Becomes WoW's Biggest Ninja-Looter"

We have seen the enemy and it is.....13 year olds with horrible grammar.

Since we are clearly trying to create some kinda reality of terminator, why not just change the movie's so Arnold doesn't say "Asta la Viesta baby", to saying "For da hordez!".

stompy:

Amnestic:

That's obvious. However, wouldn't it mean that Blizzard has double standards, or is it allowable for companies to alter their EULA to suit their needs...?

It's their EULA, they can do what they want. All they'd need to do is just add in one little extra one-two line clause in it somewhere and put up a new set of Agree/Disagree screens when the players next boot up WoW. It'd get picked up on within a week or so, but there's really not much people would do about it. Either stop playing WoW or simply agree to their terms.

Or play on a private server I guess ;/

Amnestic:
It's their EULA, they can do what they want. All they'd need to do is just add in one little extra one-two line clause in it somewhere and put up a new set of Agree/Disagree screens when the players next boot up WoW. It'd get picked up on within a week or so, but there's really not much people would do about it. Either stop playing WoW or simply agree to their terms.

Or play on a private server I guess ;/

Note to self: don't...play...Blizzard...games. Meh, that won't be too hard.

Jursa:
Can blizzard ban the AI? If not, can the A.I. Become the biggest asshole in the game and kill low lvl's all day.

So that's where Southpark got it's inspiration from..

the jellyman:
unfortunately, they'll end up with an AI that has no friends, teabags it's enemies, talks about 'Ganking' and spends all it's time on a computer. plus, it calls the enemy noobs. I'd go for memory erasal. that'd be cool

And now, we bring you a transcript of US army radio transmissions, circa 2039
Unit_1 Lol! ownage noobz!
Unit_2 ROFL
Unit_1 k, letz go gank those noobz. die lowbies!!!
Uint_2 Lol! lvl 7o gear

Ha ha ha ha ha!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91275-U-S-Army-Tests-Flying-Sniper-Rifle
I can picture it now..

Unit_1 Boom! HS
Unit_2 Pffft, that took ages
Unit_1 Just cause I pwn
Unit_2 N00b cannons ftw!
Unit_1 Lame
Unit_2 beats ur kdr

ElephantGuts:
Wow, I don't think the military's been this into wierd/paranormal research like this since the Cold War. Pretty predictable, though. They start doing shit like this when they're either scared shitless or bored. I think we need another world war.

Nah, no world war for another 50 years. We should have cybernetic augmentations, hovercraft, laser rifles and mechs by then. :D Now THAT would be a fun war. If only for all the nerd parties held with obscure references to Star Wars, Star Trek, Dune and Smoke Jaguars.

domicius:
An AI that can pass the Turing test, eh? Good luck to them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test)

Actually, if reports are anything to go by, most dating sites are made up of scripted bots that are indistinguishable from a normal human. I'm betting that they've long since passed the Turing Test under specific circumstances, they just haven't developed a learning AI which can convince all people under all circumstances that it's human.

On topic, memory planting is an interesting one. And something I'd like. "Can you fly that thing" "Not yet" :D:D:D

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here