Rolling Stone's 50 Best Rock Games Of All Time

Rolling Stone's 50 Best Rock Games Of All Time

Rolling Stone has created a list of the 50 Best Rock and Roll Videogames Of All Time, leaving gamers around the world stunned by the knowledge that there are actually 50 rock and roll videogames in existence.

As you might expect, a list of the 50 "best" rock games is going to include a certain number of titles that would be more suitable for lists like "50 Best Dumps I've Ever Taken." Some of the games on the list, like the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, are obvious choices, while others, such as the LucasArts classic Loom, won't have you rocking your face off but are still great examples of how music can be creatively incorporated into videogames. But most of the list is somewhat less noteworthy: Britney's Dance Beat, for instance, or KISS Psycho Circus, which I mention only as an excuse to link to Old Man Murray's review.

How bad is it? The Miracle Piano Teaching System is included on the list and I'm pretty sure it's not even a game, as is the famous 70s memory toy Simon. Why Rolling Stone felt the need to make this a Top 50 list, as opposed to a more practical and realistic Top Five, is beyond me; maybe they just wanted to show off their gamer cred by proving they could actually come up with 50 rock and roll videogames, no matter how tangential the connection may be. Check it out and see if you could do better at rollingstone.com.

"Page 1 of 51"

Fail.

Why did they even make it a "Top 50" to begin with? What's wrong with a Top 10 or a Top 5? This seems more like a "The only 50 music games ever made" than a Top 50 Best Music Games Ever Made.

EDIT: I like how this is called Rolling Stones Top 50 Rock and Roll Games of all time and this is on it.http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24015954/page/17

I say it would have been better to make the top 50 Game Soundtracks to rock your face off. Coming in at No. 1, Grand Theft Auto, Vice City, which transformed me into a headbanger in 3.5 seconds.

Why did the The Rolling Stones of all people write this book? I bet they have never played one of the games in this book even once, except maybe Guitar hero .

AMAZING! They found 51 music games!

That's just a feat on it's own.

Indigo_Dingo:
I say it would have been better to make the top 50 Game Soundtracks to rock your face off. Coming in at No. 1, Grand Theft Auto, Vice City, which transformed me into a headbanger in 3.5 seconds.

My friends and myself listen to adult contemporary for comedic affect during a police chase.

Nothing beats getting hunted down by the army, than being chased by the army while listening to 'Karma Chameleon'.

Ignore this, I thought they were listing them by quality, not chronologically.

fluffylandmine:

Indigo_Dingo:

My friends and myself listen to adult contemporary for comedic affect during a police chase.

Nothing beats getting hunted down by the army, than being chased by the army while listening to 'Karma Chameleon'.

Try again, this time listening to the opening riffs of Two Minutes to Midnight

Indigo - To be fair, the list's not in order of awesomeness, it's in order of release.

However, the list got a great big "Fail" from me for not including Audiosurf, which is my personal favorite music game of all time, and I know I'm not alone on that front.

Ok dingo that's good if you want an extreme action-y chase. But I do all that stuff in GTA for comedy.

Like running over hookers while listening to 'Party all the Time' or 'Take On Me'.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood was a good game though, if extremely weird.

Actually...Epic Fail...No Rock and Roll Racing?/Rock N Wrestle?/The Blues Brothers?

No Custer's Revenge? After all, it was the only game where he really DID "rock out with his....

Actually, I don't want to get banned. This list still sucks.

A lot of these games are interesting from a collecting perspective, but as far as actually wanting to play them the only game on that list I'd even let in the house is Loom.

Also, I was a huge Frankie fan back in the day. Huge.

Malygris:
A lot of these games are interesting from a collecting perspective, but as far as actually wanting to play them the only game on that list I'd even let in the house is Loom.

Also, I was a huge Frankie fan back in the day. Huge.

Did you have a "Frankie Says..." T-Shirt Malygris? ;)

FRANKIE SAY no. :(

50 Cent Bulletproof !?!? They really had to scrape the bottom of the Barrel for this.
WTF! No REZ, they must have their heads shoved up there

Wow, this is beyond terrible. Way to be out of touch Rolling Stone.

Indigo_Dingo:

fluffylandmine:

Indigo_Dingo:

Try again, this time listening to the opening riffs of Two Minutes to Midnight

Did you ever play a slightly retarded Serious Sam clone called Will Rock? The menu music was a derivation of "I wanna rock" by Twisted Sister, and the game took a God of War-esque theme of "Meet Greek myth monsters: kill them, meet Greek gods: kill them too". 80's hair metal style soundtrack all the way.

As to music selection for irony, I've been known to supplant Gears of War's serious attitude with the Kinks and Traveling Wilburys. "Where have all the good times gone?" indeed.

I...I did not know there were even 50 rock games to list...this is a genuine surprise, and not a good one.

I didn't know that there were even 50 music based games out there. I've learnt something today then.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.