Fallout 3 Edited For Japan

Pages PREV 1 2

RedDiablo:
I find it funny that COD: World at War was not banned in Japan, even though you kill Japanese for about 45% of the game. I don't think many people would be very angry over the Fatman, and I don't really find it necessary to remove "The Power of the Atom".

I don't get your post at all.
Anyone realizes that both sides are gonna have casualties in war. Realize this. But your post says "WaW isn't banned because most of the game your killing Japanese"?
So then WaW should be banned in Germany because you kill Germans?
Really, this is all tact. Bethesda doesn't want to offend anyone in Japan. And how is killing soldiers offending anyone? I can see the torture scene in the opening, but killing soldiers? The game is about "Killing the enemy! Fighting for the right to be able to eat Apple Pie while playing Baseball". And fighting for freedom?

JimmyBassatti:

RedDiablo:
I find it funny that COD: World at War was not banned in Japan, even though you kill Japanese for about 45% of the game. I don't think many people would be very angry over the Fatman, and I don't really find it necessary to remove "The Power of the Atom".

Anyone realizes that both sides are gonna have casualties in war. Realize this. But your post says "WaW isn't banned because most of the game your killing Japanese"?
Really, this is all tact. Bethesda doesn't want to offend anyone in Japan. And how is killing soldiers offending anyone? I can see the torture scene in the opening, but killing soldiers? The game is about "Killing the enemy! Fighting for the right to be able to eat Apple Pie while playing Baseball". And fighting for freedom?

First of all, you are bringing war to nothing more than "Two sides killing each other, and regardless of race, it doesn't matter who gets offended." Also, there are people who are veterans, or have family members who fight in wars, and they feel very strongly over war.

RedDiablo:

JimmyBassatti:

RedDiablo:

First of all, you are bringing war to nothing more than "Two sides killing each other, and regardless of race, it doesn't matter who gets offended." Also, there are people who are veterans, or have family members who fight in wars, and they feel very strongly over war.

Is that how it came off?
It was more of a "Yes,there will be casualties, but that doesn't mean all games involving a war they were in should be banned".
That's how it was meant to come off as.

JimmyBassatti:

RedDiablo:

JimmyBassatti:

RedDiablo:

Is that how it came off?
It was more of a "Yes,there will be casualties, but that doesn't mean all games involving a war they were in should be banned".

If I irked you about my post, I am sorry, and I am sorry for taking your quote the wrong way. This topic is not about War and who it offends, so I think we shouldn't talk about this anymore.

RedDiablo:

JimmyBassatti:

RedDiablo:

JimmyBassatti:

RedDiablo:

Is that how it came off?

If I irked you about my post, I am sorry, and I am sorry for taking your quote the wrong way. This topic is not about War and who it offends, so I think we shouldn't talk about this anymore.

It didn't irk me. But thanks for caring about someone else instead of yourself and asking if you made them mad.
+1 metal cookie

the one thing that the japaneese do wrong

I'm thinking they ought to make it a different type of bomb or something... because that's a huge choice to make.

In this day and age, when frivolous lawsuits and nation-wide bans are but a single misstep away, I don't blame Bethesda in the least for doing everything in their power to cover their collective asses. It's better to sell half as many as you like than none at all.

Given that the WHOLE GAME is about nuclear fallout, disease, and radiation, I fail to see how it could ever be totally edited to be palatable in Japan so why bother?

Hell, the game isn't palatable anywhere. It's not supposed to be. It's SUPPOSED to slap you in the face and say "Look at this. LOOK AT THIS. And this is the BEST CASE SCENARIO. Do you want this!?"

I suppose that's fair enough.

this is no new news if you watch hard news at screw attack.

Censorship is censorship. Japan should be ashamed.

Then isn't the whole game innapropriate? And what about the missile at fort Constantine?

Isn't the whole concept of war and death and violence offensive? Maybe Japan should just ban the game entirely, and then they should wrap blind folds around the heads of their population.

mokes310:
Understandable, and I'm not quite sure that it's full-fledged censorship. This seems more like Bethesda is sensative to something that might still be a sore-spot for the Japanese people.

My questions is this though...After the generation of people who actually lived through those times passes on, do you think it'll still be a sensative subject???

Yes, maby not as sensative but (as this seems to be the choice of comparison) just like the holocaust it will always be a sensative subject i mean i can see the point of view from the people sensoring it but im in agreement with the leave it as is,its a 18 (or R or M or AO or whatever ratibg system it is) and people should live with it
(and just cause it seems to be apropriate with "sensitive subjects" did anyone else find the fact that someone made money of 9/11 with that movie increadable insensitive)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here