Stan Lee Developing Gay Superhero Series For Showtime

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stan Lee Developing Gay Superhero Series For Showtime

Comics legend Stan Lee is developing a new drama for Showtime about the life and times of a gay teenage superhero.

The hour long show will be based on the 2007 novel Hero by Chronicles of Narnia producer Perry Moore, who is also writing the pilot for the series. The novel tells the story of Thom Creed, a high school student just awakening to both his superpowers and his sexual identity. Afraid of the reaction of his homophobic home town, Creed struggles to keep both aspects of his life a secret.

JustPressPlay says the original source material was "a pretty light read," but that on Showtime it may very well expand into a more thoughtful and adult look at the subject. Moore, who is gay himself, was originally inspired to write the novel in response to the death of X-Men member Northstar, who was snuffed in 2005 at the hands of a rampaging Wolverine. Northstar had originally revealed his sexual orientation in 1992 while still a member of the Canadian super-team Alpha Flight.

Lee, meanwhile, established a reputation as a supporter of equal rights through his early work in comics, particularly through the use of the famed X-Men series, which he used as proxies for stories about racism and other forms of prejudice. He went on to achieve great fame as the driving force behind Marvel Comics, responsible for the creation of noteworthy heroes like Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, the Incredible Hulk and many others.

No word yet on when Hero will debut, or who we might see filling the titular role. In the meantime, don't feel too bad for Northstar; like all good superheroes, he was quickly resurrected and thrown back into the fray.

Intresting idea, might be funny

I think being able to fly at light speed might be slightly more worrying than just fancying blokes though.

And didn't Northstar also have a twin sister who was mutant bi-polar?

"Dad, I have to tell you. I'm gay."
"That's alright son of mine, as long as you're not going to start throwing cars about."
"Well...about that..."

Would it be prejudiced of me to hope that this might finally be a superhero who doesn't look ridiculous?

Hawgh:
Would it be prejudiced of me to hope that this might finally be a superhero who doesn't look ridiculous?

It would be silly of you to hope that. If this guy doesn't have a costume covered in rhinestones and a rainbow cape I'm canceling Showtime.

Seriously though, I suppose it's a neat idea... it seems like more of a "stunt" to me, but if the show is any good I'll give it a watch. Stan Lee's the man.

... Christ, I'm behind on the news, I though Stan Lee was dead...

Don't Hate Me

HSIAMetalKing:

Hawgh:

It would be silly of you to hope that. If this guy doesn't have a costume covered in rhinestones and a rainbow cape I'm canceling Showtime.

Not funny.

Stan Lee working on a gay superhero project, and it isn't Aquaman?

The_root_of_all_evil:
And didn't Northstar also have a twin sister who was mutant bi-polar?

Yeah, that was Aurora. She suffered from some kind of multiple personality disorder. I never paid much attention to Alpha Flight - and neither did anyone else, which is the main reason Marvel decided to bring Northstar out in it.

Hawgh:

: D

Yeah, the costumes of all straight super heroes are extremely gay, skin-tight affairs, so maybe the gay hero will have the most badass costume ever created. : )

Aries_Split:

HSIAMetalKing:

Hawgh:

Not funny.

Wasn't trying to be hurtful-- just a jab at "straight" superheroes who wear flamboyant costumes.

Khell_Sennet:

Brilliant.

How are there no Batman and Robin jokes yet? First gay superhero movie... right...

HSIAMetalKing:

Hawgh:

Seriously though, I suppose it's a neat idea... it seems like more of a "stunt" to me, but if the show is any good I'll give it a watch. Stan Lee's the man.

Well there are several gay heroes, none of which to my knowledge are wearing anything like that. I could name them, but i don't feel like it.

I think this series will be something akin to Smallville in the style of the hero. In Smallville Clark has yet to wear the signature costume, however he has been using all the powers.

And yeah I can see this being a stunt. However I do think this stunt can be good for gay people.

Khell_Sennet:

That was my first thought.

I mentioned to someone when this report first came to light that I really miss the days when superheroes spent their time solving crimes and kicking the shit out of bad guys, rather than getting all angsty about their sexuality.

TheBadass:

Khell_Sennet:

Brilliant.

How are there no Batman and Robin jokes yet? First gay superhero movie... right...

Duuuuh! Batman's straight, and Robin hasn't come out of the closet yet. Though no rush Robin, the new series of movies are going on just fine without "Holy dildoes in a cornhole Batman" being said every time something happens.

This got me thinking about superheroes we're still missing.

I mean, we've got superheroes in wheelchairs, a gay superhero, one with multiple personality disorder, plenty of superheroes with hair problems, weight problems, impaired vision, etc.

Where's the Mormon superhero? Or the superhero suffering from radioactive poisoning?

zoozilla:
Or the superhero suffering from radioactive poisoning?

well some FPS heroes have stepped into somes pits with radioactive waste, but they seem to dont affect them.

Malygris:
I mentioned to someone when this report first came to light that I really miss the days when superheroes spent their time solving crimes and kicking the shit out of bad guys, rather than getting all angsty about their sexuality.

I think it's Alan Moore's fault, though I wouldn't have it any other way.

Did "The Ambiguously Gay Duo" from T.V. Funhouse come into anyone's mind?

Not the first gay superhero. The Midnighter is far older and much cooler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnighter

Also, forgive me if I am being presumptuous and any of our homosexual Escapists can stop me, but I think the Homosexual community would rather it be a Superhero who -HAPPENS- to be Homosexual, not a Homosexual Superhero.

Whats the difference? The first implies that homosexuality is so normal and natural it doesn't require special mention or specific attention- it's just another part of the character, like Peter Parker being a smartass.

The second implies OMG GAY SUPERHERO!

Must...refrain....from quoting Jeff Dunham jokes.

oh, what the hell.

"Look, it's Gay Man! Don't turn your back on him."
"oh, and when he flies his butt whistles."

but honestly, I think it sounds alright. I think the problem is that it has to be on showtime. Why does a series about a gay superhero have to be on showtime? Is the fact that it includes sexuality/homosexuality means that it has to be restricted from basic cable.

Oh dear God, I live in the southern U.S., I can just imagine the religous nut bags here will have their panties in a twist about this real soon, it doesn't take much to set them off.

TsunamiWombat:

Who, and what, are you talking about?

Has anyone noticed what the google ad's say......

zoozilla:
This got me thinking about superheroes we're still missing.

I mean, we've got superheroes in wheelchairs, a gay superhero, one with multiple personality disorder, plenty of superheroes with hair problems, weight problems, impaired vision, etc.

Where's the Mormon superhero? Or the superhero suffering from radioactive poisoning?

Why not kill several birs with one stone? We can make a wheelchair-using, multiple personality-suffering, overweight, impaired vision Mormon, radioactive black lesbian who's lefthanded!

We could call her, All Bases Covered Girl!

Khell_Sennet:

Aquamans not a superhero =]

This might get some panties bunched but I'd prefer to see a lesbian superhero.

ward.:

Khell_Sennet:

Aquamans not a superhero =]

Well, there is Batgirl, who, ironically, was originally included in the Batman comics to ward off the whole "Batman is gay" vibe. Try not to think about how Batgirl is a hot blonde, and more that they really are trynig to be politically correct, honest...

And like other people, yes, I did think of The Ambiguously Gay Duo.

Hawgh:

I believe the word you're looking for is fabulous.

Homo Man, Homo Man,
does whatever a homo can.
Wears bright pink, every day,
some might think, that he's gay
Look out! Here comes the Homo Man.

He's not strong, he's not tough,
that's because, he's a puff.
How do we know, that he's gay?
Saw him doin', the YMCA.
Look Out! There goes the Homo Man.

In the dead of the night, at the sceen of a crime,
you will see Homo Man, leading a congo line...

Homo Man, Homo Man
Criminals, stay indoors,
or your rear end, will be sore.
LOOK OUT!
Here comes the Homo Man.

Hope I didn't offend anyone too much, but the idea got stuck in my head and I couldn't stop laughing till I posted it...

Khell_Sennet:
Homo Man, Homo Man,
Wears bright pink, every day,
some might think, that he's gay
Look out! Here comes the Homo Man.

He's not strong, he's not tough,
that's because, he's a puff.
How do we know, that he's gay?
Saw him doin', the YMCA.
Look Out! There goes the Homo Man.

In the dead of the night, at the sceen of a crime,
you will see Homo Man, leading a congo line...

Homo Man, Homo Man
Criminals, stay indoors,
or your rear end, will be sore.
LOOK OUT!
Here comes the Homo Man.

Hope I didn't offend anyone too much, but the idea got stuck in my head and I couldn't stop laughing till I posted it...

Thats made my day. Thanks

Elurindel:

ward.:

Well, there is Batgirl, who, ironically, was originally included in the Batman comics to ward off the whole "Batman is gay" vibe. Try not to think about how Batgirl is a hot blonde, and more that they really are trynig to be politically correct, honest...

You might be confusing Batwoman with Batgirl. Batgirl isn't a lesbian, no matter how often she hugs her female Birds of Prey teammates. Hey, wait a minute...

Malygris:

Blame Frank Miller. That's when the Golden Age was permanently tarnished.

Malygris:

TsunamiWombat:

Who, and what, are you talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnighter

The Midnighter. Lesser known character. He's sort of what would happen if Captain America and The Punisher had a gay love baby.

Midnighter is a fictional comic book superhero, best known as a member of the rogue superhero team The Authority. Created by writer Warren Ellis and artist Bryan Hitch, he first appeared in Stormwatch (vol. 2) #4, before going on to appear in various Authority books and series and his own eponymous ongoing series. Some see the character as a parallel or reinterpretation of the DC Comics superhero the Batman. He and his partner, Apollo, have also been interpreted as a parallel of the Batman/Superman "World's Finest" partnership.[1] Unlike Batman, Midnighter has superhuman abilities, and regularly kills his opponents. In an interview for Comic Values Annual (1999), edited by Alex G. Malloy, Warren Ellis described Midnighter as the Shadow by way of John Woo. Midnighter is rarely seen without his costume and mask.[2]

Midnighter is gay, and is married to fellow Authority member Apollo.[1] The two of them have adopted Jenny Quantum as a daughter

Okay, maybe calling him 'COOLER' is a stretch, it's some crazy 3rd party superhero. Still.

wonder what kind of costume the character is goin to wear.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here