EA Unveils Dante's Inferno

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

EA Unveils Dante's Inferno

Abandon all hope ye who enter here. Electronic Arts has announced a videogame adaptation of the first part of Dante Alighieri's epic poem.

EA Redwood Shores, who developed this year's Dead Space, are behind the "third-person action adventure adaptation" of Inferno. "The time is right for the world of interactive entertainment to adapt this literary masterpiece, and to re-introduce Dante to an audience that, until now, may have been unfamiliar with the remarkable details of this great work of art," Jonathan Knight, executive producer on the game, said. "It's the perfect opportunity to fuse great gameplay with great story."

Details are scant, as to be expected. EA has released a teaser trailer that might light the way to some knowledge about how this is all going to play out. We get a jump-cut filled tour of Limbo and the nine circles of Hell through which Dante and Virgil travel, catching glimpses of some monsters along the way: emaciated zombie-folk, babies with talons for arms, armored demons and more. Finally, we see a wooden wall being chopped down by a fellow lightly armored, wielding a gigantic scythe. The logo appears, and then a brief scene in which the same armor-clad guy slams a cross-shaped dagger into the skull of some poor hellbound soul.

My memory of Inferno isn't exactly vivid, but I seem to remember it being more about gruesome torment and thinly-veiled revenge fantasy than guys in armor doling out ass-kicking to demons. If EA Redwood is intent on making an "action adventure" out of Inferno, my best guess is that the guy we see at the end of the trailer is Dante, and he's on some sort of Kratos-esque mission to make it through Hell and kick some demon ass along the way. Of course that's just my take - we won't know anything for sure until we get more information. So don't "abandon all hope" just yet.

Keane Ng:

EA Redwood Shores, who developed this year's Dead Space, are behind the "third-person action adventure adaptation" of Inferno.

So basically it's going to be Dead Space: Christian Edition, where the thin guise of Unitology has been droppped and this time the bad guys really are christians. Admittedly bad Christians damned for all eternity, but still...

Keane Ng:
..."It's the perfect opportunity to fuse great gameplay with great story."...

Seems more like the perfect opportunity for 8 sequels. Typical EA.

Nimbus:

Keane Ng:

Well, at least 2. Though I think the third one might be a bit boring since all Dante does is ride around on a beam of light and talk to his ex-girlfriend.

L.B. Jeffries:

Nimbus:

Keane Ng:

Well, at least 2. Though I think the third one might be a bit boring since all Dante does is ride around on a beam of light and talk to his ex-girlfriend.

Dude, that game sounds AWESOME! /sarcasm.

It's like Constantine, but without Reeves.

Anyone else notice that he's always playing Christ-like roles for some reason?

Between this, God of War III, Brutal Legend, and Darksiders: Wrath of War, gamers will be forced to trek through hell 4 times next year. And we will love them.

fix-the-spade:

Keane Ng:

EA Redwood Shores, who developed this year's Dead Space, are behind the "third-person action adventure adaptation" of Inferno.

So basically it's going to be Dead Space: Christian Edition, where the thin guise of Unitology has been droppped and this time the bad guys really are christians. Admittedly bad Christians damned for all eternity, but still...

Since when do only Christians go to hell?

Maybe we'll get to visit Robot Hell while we're there

My arse has blisters from the slide...

Indigo_Dingo:

fix-the-spade:

Keane Ng:

Since when do only Christians go to hell?

Yeah, is that the point of being a Christian? You dont. I know we're all going to hell.

I'll refrain from judging this game too harshly as of yet
However, the premise of turning a literary masterpiece into a hack n slash platformer doesn't sound exactly like a winning idea lol. But you never know; it could have surprising depth. We'll just have to wait and see

My Crystal Ball tells me this is going to be some average third-person hack n' slash game that will absolutely ruin its outstanding literary source. Now my memory of Inferno isn't the best but there is no way in Hell (pun not intended...no wait pun intended) that they can ever remain true to the source. Virgil will be some crappy sidekick (or super warrior) and Dante will be like Dante from Devil May Cry or something silly.

Penny Arcade have just done a comic on it.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/12/15/

Why do I have the feeling they are going to miss the point of this book...... Damn you EA...

I'm confused, but I know what I'm about to do. I'm going to go tell any English teachers or literary folks about this game, just to see them lapse into shock.

meatloaf231:
I'm confused, but I know what I'm about to do. I'm going to go tell any English teachers or literary folks about this game, just to see them lapse into shock.

Do it.

(watched trailer) I think they've hit a new low.
(excuse the pun)

Delta4845:
(watched trailer) I think they've hit a new low.
(excuse the pun)

Why? It is much better with the pun

This is so deja vu for me... I worked on a game set in the Inferno back in the '90s, whose fonts weren't terribly different to boot.

I wish EA better luck with their trip to Hell.

-- Steve

I thought the point of Dante's Inferno was that who went to Hell was terribly unfair, it's also very important in regards to contemporary Italian politics... so it would be an odd update.

They forgot a cutscene.

Lulz, with a field of pedobears and lizard jesuses. (jesi?)

http://www.bobpitch.com/anon/freeradical_detects_lulz.jpg

fix-the-spade:

Keane Ng:

Unitology was actually a send up of Scientology *gets sued*

Well great. Another literary classic gets hacked up into crappy video game form that has very little to do with the actual book. First Beowolf (Which, admittedly, was a stupid movie first), and now this. Ugh.

Next it'll be a first person Tom Sawyer shooter.

Next Up, EA is pleased to join with the estate of Hesse to bring you: Siddartha the video game: This time, its not samsara...

Aardvark:

Futurama! Do I get a prize?

SomeBritishDude:

Aardvark:

Futurama! Do I get a prize?

Yes, 200 nerd points.

This is such a bad idea that I can't even begin to describe it... It even looks bad :/

SomeBritishDude:
Penny Arcade have just done a comic on it.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/12/15/

I still don't find penny arcade funny tbh. If you like it a lot, could you show me your favorite strip that made you laugh please?

Anyhu

If this was anyone else, I would say this was a very interesting idea, originality is the spice of gaming life, and they are taking chances with this one.

But seeing as it's EA, the chances are it will be sequelled out of it's arse, therefore killing anything good about it.

First rule of plagiarism: Don't leave the original Author's name in your title.

Redwood are squatting in the abandoned home of a great person. If JESUS was releasing a 'Dante's Inferno' videogame with a kiss and a thumbs up, I'd still find the usage offensive.

The game itself could be great, but it's a... Faux pas - that they have not distinguished it as being 'inspired by', rather than 'fused with' like some Frankenstein monster.

Ha, I like how the trailer just tells you to "Go to hell!"

It could be intersting if done right, so I'll just sit in the background and wait to see what happens...

ChromeAlchemist:

I still don't find penny arcade funny tbh. If you like it a lot, could you show me your favorite strip that made you laugh please?

Done

Timeless humour.

Chances are it's going to be your standard mundane action/RPG adventure in the bowels of the Abyss, with Dante's work used for artistic inspiration.

Might be okay depending on how they take it, it's going to be difficult to make this game interesting though.

Congradulations, EA. You've turned a triumph of gothic literature into what appears to be a stupid, stupid action game. Fail.

Gentlemen. Prepare for war. This travesty cannot go unpunished. EA shall pay for this heresy!

While I think this would be a great idea in the right hands, I can't help but notice a few things:

-They should've used a much more creative visual style, something similar to Gustave Dore's original illustrations.

-Where the fuck is Virgil?!

-I don't remember that much sort of action; it would've been better to go less with the "action" part and more with the under-used Myst-style "adventure" part. Fighting demons is just a cop-out to save themselves extra brain muscles.

-How they hell (excuse me) do they expect us to believe Dante is a beefcake cross/spear bearing fighter? Dante was (both in real life and the Commedia) a frail, bookish type.

-There isn't that much architectural construct and environments in Inferno; it's mostly dark forests and fiery plains and cold caverns.

-Most of the shades are human in appearance and nature. Here, they just look more Doom/Oblivion clones.

-Again, the fact that there is any fighting whatsoever, turns me off.

This is really sad for me, because I always thought that if the developer would be the sort to take risks, it would be a stellar and unique game. As it stands it just looks some dumbed-down, grittier Devil May Cry. *sobs*

Am I the only one who thinks this could do well?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here