Wendy's Kiboshes Unofficial Nine-Patty "T-Rex Burger"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

T-Rex burger ad

The Wendy's restaurant in Brandon, Manitoba stopped selling a nine-patty "T-Rex burger" after word of the thing got out on Reddit.

Until very recently you could walk into the local Wendy's in Brandon, Manitoba, and order a T-Rex burger, a $21.99 monster - $24.99 if you wanted the combo - that squeezed nine quarter-pound burger patties and nine slices of processed cheese between two greasy buns to create a 3000-calorie, artery-clogging, heart-stopping gastronomic nightmare with 200 grams of fat and 6000 - that's right, six thousand - milligrams of sodium.

The burger apparently had its roots in a joke ad that ran nine years ago in Sports Illustrated, but a few customers actually asked for it and the restaurant, which allows people to add extra patties to their burgers for a fee anyway, decided to go along with it. They were popular enough, reportedly selling two or three a day, that the restaurant eventually added it to the menu as the T-Rex burger.

All was well until word of the beast got out on Reddit, after which the restaurant quickly shut it down. "For obvious reasons, Wendy's of Brandon neither condones nor promotes the idea of anyone consuming a nine-patty burger in one sitting," administrative assistant Barb Barker read from a prepared statement. Wendy's "strives to deliver a positive dining experience for our customers. Our goal is to provide options to our customers so they can make options that meet their needs," she added.

It's not clear whether the restaurant decided to pull the plug on its own, or if it was directed to do so by upper management. It's a sad conclusion either way, especially since I don't see how the T-Rex burger fails to fit Wendy's goal of creating a "positive dining experience." After all, if they offered them around here, I'm positive I'd order one.

Source: CTV

That pic should seriously come with a warning on it...I'm having chest pains just LOOKING at that thing!

How to hell would you eat that thing-I mean too large to bite as it wouldn't fit in your mouth plus if you cut and eat section's in bite sized mouth full's it likely to collapse O_o

knight steel:
How to hell would you eat that thing-I mean too large to bite as it wouldn't fit in your mouth plus if you cut and eat section's in bite sized mouth full's it likely to collapse O_o

I was wondering the same thing. The only way you could eat it would be to completely disassemble it first and make 3 three-patty burgers out of it...but then you'd need two extra sets of buns, and NOT the ones you'd develop on your own if you actually managed to eat that behemoth.

Imagine the greasy waterfall that would ooze out of that thing if you tried to compact it and squeeze it down to a more manageable size....

Positive eating experience?
Your a fucking fast food chain roflol.

Reddit: why we can't have nice things :(
The last time I saw that many square hams stacked together was the 2012 Republican Primaries.

RJ 17:

knight steel:

I was wondering the same thing. The only way you could eat it would be to completely disassemble it first and make 3 three-patty burgers out of it...but then you'd need two extra sets of buns, and NOT the ones you'd develop on your own if you actually managed to eat that behemoth.

Imagine the greasy waterfall that would ooze out of that thing if you tried to compact it and squeeze it down to a more manageable size....

Hmm I guess if you're really desperate you could dislocate your jaw like a snake and swallow it whole >_<

0_0 I remember way back in a Simpsons episode, Homer watched a commercial about some bacon burger that at the time looked like a parody of how unhealthy fast food is. Compared to stuff like KFC's double down and now this? It would probably be on the diet menu. No wonder Simpsons aren't as funny as they used to be, there's no way they can top the absurdity of what the world is actually like now.

Arslan Aladeen:
0_0 I remember way back in a Simpsons episode, Homer watched a commercial about some bacon burger that at the time looked like a parody of how unhealthy fast food is. Compared to stuff like KFC's double down and now this? It would probably be on the diet menu. No wonder Simpsons aren't as funny as they used to be, there's no way they can top the absurdity of what the world is actually like now.

Wait...is that the one where Bart rubbed the burger on the wall and the wall became as clear as a window, in which a bird flew to it and smacked the near-invisible wall?

Nine patties, nine slices of American "cheese," 9 hours of your life effectively cut off.

Our goal is to provide options to our customers so they can make options that meet their needs

What if they need a nine-burger monstrosity?

knight steel:

I think you have to attach it to a wood-turning lathe and nibble on it like a rabbit. A rabbit that will die from clogged arteries moments later.

Well... at least you can still order it by getting extra meat paddies. Free choice and all that.

Not that I care, since this is on the menu at my favourite burger place:

Great for parties, and happily Vietnam is less fussy about making food look healthy.

"6000 - that's right, six thousand - milligrams of sodium"

So...6 Grams?

Reminds me of when folks talk about drug possession.

"He had 1000 milligrams of cocaine!"

You mean one gram?

"Yes."

So...say 1 gram?

It's still really bad and I guess it isn't as exciting for news posts.

Edit: I see no reason that they needed to get rid of it. They could just put a warning on it :/. Maybe someone wants to get it as a joke and eat it with some friends or family?

Not all that strange.

Andy Chalk:

T-Rex burger ad

"For obvious reasons, Wendy's of Brandon neither condones nor promotes the idea of anyone consuming a nine-patty burger in one sitting," administrative assistant Barb Barker read from a prepared statement.

But they have a poster promoting it. Does she not understand what 'promote' means or is there some sort of catch in the 'one sitting' part of this statement? Maybe they expect people to store 8 of the patties in their cheeks for later.

knight steel:

RJ 17:

knight steel:

Hmm I guess if you're really desperate you could dislocate your jaw like a snake and swallow it whole >_<

My best theory would be to start at the top and work your way down with a knife and fork...you'd even get a "salad" as an appetizer that way.

Edit: But good god, that cheese! You won't crap right for a week!

C'mon, Barb Barker, at least the Price was Right!

I'm more annoyed that the T-Rex burger isn't made from a T-rex.

reddit, why you gotta ruin everything :(

at least the legend lives on...

Hmm, maybe add some bacon and then we'll talk.

But seriously, gimme about an hour and a glass of water and I could probably eat that.

Why'd they have to shut it down? I'd never eat it, but if some damn fool wants to try it's their right (and I would pay to see someone eat it, so it's a win-win for the restaurant)...

It's pretty clear that this thing isn't meant for 1 person, I wouldn't order a giant ass party pizza at my local pizza restaurant just for myself either.
The more interesting question would be how one does eat such a thing.

What's the saying? "Lol Canada!" Every time one of these is served, vegans within a twelve mile radius get a nosebleed.

Dang, that's the kind of thing I expect to see on Man vs. Food.

Well, the thing is that most franchises need to be uniform, they are only given so much room to vary in order to keep using the name and ordering supplies at whatever deal is being used, even when privately owned. Owners are discouraged from adding things to menus, changing recipes, and similar things, and in many cases if you do so and someone working for the company finds out, you can not only use your franchise rights but have to pay huge penelties. The big chains have guys who do nothing but drive around the country looking for trouble.

I mention this because some of the battles I've seen locally where way a Mcdonalds needs to give up it's ultramodern appearance including the glowing plastic "golden arches" on the sign, but strictly speaking you need to fly that without permission from the franchise. It eventually worked out with a green and white faux-wood sign (this one is up in Niantic if I remember) but it kind of gave some insight into how things worked when I was a bit younger.

From the perspective of the franchise, adding a new burger just for your store, would be a lot like someone altering the formula for a "Big Mac" at Mcdonalds, when the entire point is that you can order one anywhere in the country and know what your getting and what it's going to be like. While franchise owners do get a choice on specific promotions there are a lot of things they can't do.

In short, I'm not surprised it ended this way.

How bad would it be if the cheese was replaced with lettuce?

Deathfish15:

Arslan Aladeen:

Wait...is that the one where Bart rubbed the burger on the wall and the wall became as clear as a window, in which a bird flew to it and smacked the near-invisible wall?

I want to say it's the one where Homer got some audio tapes to try to hypnotize him to eat less, but instead got the one that increased his vocabulary and Bart was losing his friend Millhouse to a new girl. But I might be wrong on that one.

If you're stupid enough to eat this type of food then the inevitable heart attack is just the Universe's way of handing out Darwin Awards.

Remove the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

This is like one of those ridiculous Scooby Doo sandwiches, likely to be eaten in the same fashion.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Shaggy: Zoiks! Like, get a load of that big burger, Scoob! I've got the munchies so bad!

Scooby Doo: Reah, re roo!

Next time you wanna advertise a T-rex burger, make it a fucking dinosaur. Otherwise, not interested.

This thing may not be healthy, unless you compare it to this one thing I saw once from Pizza Hut.

It was only offered in the Middle East, but it was a giant pizza that was easily 4 feet in diameter. Instead of any old regular stuffed crust, it had 4 actual full sized cheeseburgers just plopped into the middle of it.

I think I saw it on Ripley's.

Dammit, guys...

You took the one upside of living in Manitoba and got rid of it...

Why did you guys do this... ;____;

werewolfsfury:
How bad would it be if the cheese was replaced with lettuce?

Still pretty bad. It would be down to 150 grams of fat (still more than double the daily recommendation) and maybe 4000 mg of sodium (almost double the daily recommendation) (all reasonable guesstimates).

Beef is fattening, there's no getting around it. You could probably cut it to 120 grams and 3500 milligrams respectively if you wiped each patty with a paper towel before eating them.

That's it? Nine patties? Pft, child's play. One of the most hilarious times during me and my brother's high school days was that our cousin and our friends one day just felt so hungry that he ordered a 5 patty hamburger and the owner had no problem.

So of course it became a challenge to see who would eat the most. And not your namby pamby Mcdonalds patties, those don't count. Real patties of meat that had to come from fast food places that gave you an actual hamburger. The challenge lasted a good couple of years and we got it up to 15 patties.

Of course rules did apply that we needed a witness and the receipt. And even then it was something for fun and certainly not done on a daily basis.

Still if a person wants to order a 9 patty hamburger, let em. They should already know the risks. But of course shame on you internet for ruining a good thing!

FalloutJack:
This is like one of those ridiculous Scooby Doo sandwiches, likely to be eaten in the same fashion.

Shaggy: Zoiks! Like, get a load of that big burger, Scoob! I've got the munchies so bad!

Scooby Doo: Reah, re roo!

Next time you wanna advertise a T-rex burger, make it a fucking dinosaur. Otherwise, not interested.

Something like this?

Of course, they wouldn't stop you from just ordering as many hamburgers as you wanted to shove into your face, nor should they. So this probably comes down to one Wendy's generating too much noise for the chain, so they got the call from on high to cut it out.

Now at an In-n-Out Burger? They'll do 4 x 4s without blinking an eye, so I'm sure they'll stack it as high as you want.

All I really care is that you're not impairing yourself and getting on the road, and I'd rather focus on that problem than this nonsense.

I remember when my mate got a double "double quarter pounder" meal, that's 4 patties, from Mc Donalds. Suffice to say he didn't feel good afterwards, and cursed me out for giving him the idea xD

Tenmar:
That's it? Nine patties? Pft, child's play. One of the most hilarious times during me and my brother's high school days was that our cousin and our friends one day just felt so hungry that he ordered a 5 patty hamburger and the owner had no problem.

So of course it became a challenge to see who would eat the most. And not your namby pamby Mcdonalds patties, those don't count. Real patties of meat that had to come from fast food places that gave you an actual hamburger. The challenge lasted a good couple of years and we got it up to 15 patties.

Of course rules did apply that we needed a witness and the receipt. And even then it was something for fun and certainly not done on a daily basis.

Still if a person wants to order a 9 patty hamburger, let em. They should already know the risks. But of course shame on you internet for ruining a good thing!

How the hell do you eat 15 patties O.o

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.