Final Fantasy X Remake Could Spawn Others

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Final Fantasy X Remake Could Spawn Others

Final Fantasy X HD screenshot

If you ever hope to see that Final Fantasy VII remake we've been waiting a decade-plus for, you should probably set some money aside for the upcoming Final Fantasy X redux.

In what may be the most obvious yet somehow still compelling news to emerge from E3, Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase has coyly suggested that the company could be convinced to remake an as-yet-unknown number of its other Final Fantasy titles if the imminent Final Fantasy X remake is a financial success.

Kitase, who served as producer on Final Fantasy X and the more recent Final Fantasy XIII, was recently interviewed by (the refreshingly aptly named) RPG Site, who asked if we might see other titles remade in high-definition beyond Final Fantasy X. "We'll have to wait and see if these remasters are going to be successful, first," Kitase claimed.

"If they do well, I think this will pave the way for more of the previous games to remade in an HD sort of quality."

RPG Site then asked what game might be next on the list of potential remakes, and Kitase had an answer almost immediately. "I mean, if we HAD to single out one of the vast number of Final Fantasy titles which we could make in HD, it would have to be Final Fantasy XII," he replied.

"I was not involved in the project, though, so we can't really comment on that. What I can say though is that I hope the remastering of X and X-2 will trigger similar projects for more of the past games."

As much as the majority of gamers were probably hoping Kitase might say Final Fantasy VII, if one had choose another entry in the series to receive the HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy titles. Of course, we do get the feeling that Kitase's comments are more "gladhanding the public" than anything else, but it's sunny outside, so in the spirit of unrealistic optimism let's all go buy that Final Fantasy X HD remake.

Well, whenever it actually arrives, that is. It still lacks a release date (or even a window of any kind), but we'll let you know just as soon as Square Enix firms up its plans for this ethereal title.

Source: RPG Site

Earnest Cavalli:

As much as the majority of gamers were probably hoping Kitase might say Final Fantasy VII, if one had choose another entry in the series to receive the HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy titles.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On a serious notes, I'd totally be up for an HD remake of VI-IX. Any of those four games would be sweet.

they're going to make us buy every other FF game again first aren't they?

I honestly couldn't care less about a remake of FF VII to be honest, but if they were to remake IX and XII then I'd definitely get those. I'm gonna be getting the remake of X for sure though.
*puts up flame shield because FF VII is not on my top 5 list*

Squenix, if you're gona remake the FF games and say "buy this stuff", at least remake the GOOD ones first. I'd pay through the nose for an updated version of FFVI or a console version of Dissidia 012.

DVS BSTrD:

Hey A Realm Reborn is releasing this August and it is shaping up to be quite brilliant. Not to mention FFXV coming somepoint in the near future, my guess is mid 2014.

Anything 9 or lower would cost an obscene amount to graphically update even by the ridicules standards of modern AAA's, so they will never make a HD remake of FF VII.

I think the reason everyone's always begging for FF remakes is because all their recent stuff has been terrible XD

I've never played FFVI and hear it's really good form just about everyone. I'd like to see a remake of that!

Final Fantasy XII can just have it's textures updated and its resolution and framerate increased. Final Fantasy VII would need to be recreated from the ground up, with all new models and environments and a re-orchestrated score. They'd probably end up having to hire voice actors, too.

It's a much more expensive affair than updating a PS2 game.

I'd definitely buy a FFXII HD remake before buying a FFX remake. Even more readily if it's the IZJS version, since I heard it was pretty damn nice.

thebobmaster:

Earnest Cavalli:

As much as the majority of gamers were probably hoping Kitase might say Final Fantasy VII, if one had choose another entry in the series to receive the HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy titles.

On a serious notes, I'd totally be up for an HD remake of VI-IX. Any of those four games would be sweet.

No, this is XII we're talking about. It is objectively the best one. ;p

Biggest, tease, EVER.

While I understand why FFX and FFXII are the easiest to translate to current or next gen systems, phrasing it in such a manor is just dangling the fruit in front of our faces. (Although I would play the hell out of a FFXII remake as well.)

I actually was curious to see if anyone agrees with me on this, but I remember them saying that the reason a FFVII remake can't happen is because it would be impossible to recreate that world in a modern 3D environment, but does anyone really want that in the first place? For a game like that I have no problem keeping the fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds, or even just keeping the concept and updating the execution (fully interactive 3D setpieces that have fixed or scripted camera angles.) That would pay the best tribute to the original IMO.

After playing the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time actually, my first thought was that I would pay damn good money for a 3DS version of FFVII even if it was just a remastered 3D port, but I fully accept that I am one of the few that loves the 3DS to the extent that I do haha.

The only Final Fantasy games that needs a remake it is 1 and 2, 3-6 are still relevant if you don't mind emulating them to replay them, the rest are bad.

I'd like to see remakes (not just graphical enhancements...but upgrades in battle modes, character options etc) of these games...in this order.

FF3 (6). My favorite FF game over all...but could be made WAY better with more love, a larger world, no cap on damage (9999)....bigger bosses etc. Each characters abilities could be expanded, the monsters could increase in power (and range of power) and the already long game play time could be doubled. All of that would not be THAT expensive...and a moderately good graphics update could be done at the same time (something they could do in a year). The game already rocks and has great replay value even now....but if they spent even a year working on it...they could resell it for $40 and sell a ton of them.

FF10 I know this is being done already...but I hope it's not just going to be a simple upgrade in graphics. The game was also quite fun....but could be improved on greatly with just alittle time and love.

FF7 Actually not even my 3rd favorite FF game......but I feel it has the most potential for improvement at this point...and the widest audience that would buy it. Again more material, more character options...maybe even more characters....and a longer story could add a ton to this.

And finally.....FF1 !!!! Yes....After FF3(6)...I have played the first final fantasy more then any other. Later final fantasy games did upgrade the system, but they also moved away from the system of choosing what classes you wanted to play with. I played the first with every possible combination of characters (even 4 white mages). Obviously upgrading FF1 would be cake..and super fast compared to the rest. You wouldn't need to change the graphics that much (a quick upgrade to slightly better graphics would probably take almost no time at all)...but you could add way more classes, more monsters, more challenges, perhaps a crafting system and higher tiered classes (or even multi-classes) etc. Many, many games have used the basic template of FF1 and expanded on it....but it would be nice (and easy/cheap) for SE to upgrade/update FF1.....and I think it would be well worth it.

As far as the rest...FF9 for instance is already available on PSN....they could use a remake.....but honestly I wouldn't be as exited about it. The above games could all be drastically improved on, and have a foundation that would allow you to do so without radically changing the game.

As far as remaking FFXII....boggle...is that only so it's playable on newer systems? I mean it didn't come out THAT long ago. It had a very MMO style to it...and while it was ok...I struggled to actually finish it even once. It was the first (prime) FF game I struggled to finish (FFX-2 being the only other one...but it's not a prime).

As far as revamping FFX-2.....I didn't likethe game much. I felt it was like dressup world or soemthing. Sadly that came back in a way for FF13 (why do they want to make us play dressup so much).....I don't really know if they could fix it for me..but I felt that was one of the worst $60 pre-ordered purchases I made.

VII could use a facelift, especially after all of canon crap that the Compilation has arranged in its universe (not all of which has been great). Unfortunately the original just sticks out like a sore thumb, and quite frankly has not aged very well.

X seems to be one of the better FF games out there, despite the hate it seems to get. I'm going to guess that the laughing and whistling scenes have something to do with it, but eh. It is certainly one of the prettier FF games, so I could see how it would benefit from an HD remake.

I suppose the main issue here is that to be remade, most of the originals would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Square just wants to know if that's worth the effort.

...HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy title

That's sarcasm right? I mean FFX is a controversial title, but a significant portion of people think it's the series best... XII has weak enthusiasm at best with only a very small number of people who love it the most.

Unless that sentence was referring to VII?

But anyway, I imagine making FFXII HD ready is the easiest which is why they went that way. It's also (along with X) one of the hardest to acquire, whereas VII is already available on at least half a dozen platforms

I liked XII. Quite a bit. I've replayed it in the last year, even. And it was kinda... awful on a big screen. Both X and XII do not look good today, at all. The older ones do as they're a bit more stylized and older-generation, but X and XII look awful.

... And XII is so much better than X. I haven't played X since it came out, but that might say enough in itself.

I'd probably pay for an XII remake, especially if they added some things.

Captcha: 'nanoo nanoo' ... Hah. Hi (and bye) to you too, captcha.

bismarck55:

thebobmaster:

Earnest Cavalli:

No, this is XII we're talking about. It is objectively the best one. ;p

Mmhmm.

For the cost it would take to remake FFVII so it's more comparable to modern games you could probably develop a whole new FF game.

But they could probably just clean the game up and release it with that upscaled classic look.

Not sure why I'd buy a X remake if what I want is a VII remake. I don't want a X remake so I'm not going to buy one. I don't see why I need to prove myself to Square Enix. If you make something I want to purchase, i'll do so. If you don't, you don't get my money.

Wait, XII is objectively the best? Well, 6 foot tall rabbit-eared ladies who sound like Bjork aside, subjectively it sucked ass. XII was the FIRST of 11 non mmo Final fantasy games I didn't bother to finish. No world map, no fun combat, no likeable non-Bjork characters, no fucking way.

I see FFXII is getting a lot of props paid to it. Thank god, it's my second favorite after FFVI. If you were to give me a FFX Remake (I mean not make me pay for it), I still wouldn't play it. I couldn't finish it on the PS2, I couldn't finish it now. FFXII though, I beat that on the PS2 and then I beat it on an emulator playing the FFXII International Zodiac Edition (the one with the job system). I would also accept a remake of FFIX. Final Fantasy VII was a pretty good game, but I think it gets far far more attention than it deserves.

Mistilteinn:
I'd definitely buy a FFXII HD remake before buying a FFX remake. Even more readily if it's the IZJS version, since I heard it was pretty damn nice.

I'm with you on that one. I never particularly liked X. What with its vapid characters and teeth-grindingly stupid story. Not to mention TIDUS. I would by an Xbone to get a hold of a remake of 12 or 6 though.

Absolutely can't wait for the Final Fantasy X remake and this is also going to be my first time playing X-2. As much as I'd love to see remakes of the PSX games I'd be just as interested in seeing 3DS ports/remakes of older Final Fantasy titles based on how great the GBA versions of 1 through 6 were. I think the 3DS could nicely house the PSX era titles.

Hmm, the games so far up for a remake aren't so bad, with the possible exception of X-2 (basically a game to bring back Tidus by the end; everything else was simply faffing about until that). Don't get me wrong, both X (Plot is nonsensical at times, "How'd they get from the bottom of the frozen Macalania lake to a desert halfway across the world?!", the minigames to unlock the best weapons and their sigils were the worst part of any game ever designed and frustrating to the power of infinity) and XII (Plot is too politically centered; the main character is NOT, in fact, the main character) have their downsides for me, but they're not the worst choices for a remake.

Ok. I loved XII.

Throw out Vaan and Penelo, gimme the other 4 guys and I'll be a happy camper.

The english voicework was absolutely GLORIOUS (even if I defend that all FFs should have an option to use the Japanese voices with english subtitles, since the mannerisms of all characters work much better that way, it's the kind of thing anime characters do; FF X and XIII were specially bad with this, the "laugh" scene in X sounds better and makes more sense in the japanese version for one).

The airships named after former summons each had a cameo and a part to play, with the more important ones being used at opportune times for the character they portrayed in previous games (what, I liked the analogy =P).

The gameplay did what Dragon Age Origins did, only better and before it was cool, and at that time it played like an MMO that you could pause and micromanage every action your team made (while the target lines allowed me to see exactly who was aiming at what and what was aiming at who immediately, that was great).

The Hunt! I have never seen a secondary questline mesh so well with the main one in a Final Fantasy game (wanna break from the story a little but don't wanna search every nook and cranny for the hidden secrets? Do it for the Hunt). You had to draw out targets, you had to fulfill a mild puzzle in the area for most of them to even show (take out this or that guy, bring these or those guys in your party, search for the target in the rain season, drop a bait here and there, mess with it's things) and you had to fight all of them as if they were bosses each with a different set of moves, vulnerable to diferent status ailments and elements, and with differing win conditions other than "Kill Boss" sometimes. A game full of Bonus bosses! And a loot system that didn't rely on spiders dropping gold, but each monster gave appropriate trophies, that could then be used to craft special weapons and armor at vendors (if they were rare materials) or sell for gold to buy average ones (first final fantasy to try this, and it did it well).

Sorry for the long post, felt like spreading some love on XII. That game takes a lot of flak for some reason, but for me, it was the Monster Hunter you could play decently alone on a good console xD

I'll be getting the X-2 remake only if the "International + Last Mission" version Dresspheres are included with it, too.

Otherwise I may as well just carry on playing it on my PS2.

Likewise, I'll buy the XII remake if it's the "International Zodiac Job System" version as I already have the original PS2 version.

Oh man, I gotta go back and play FF12 sometime. Mechanically it's my absolute favourite FF game to date. And I actually liked most of the characters. Still can't remember 95% of the story though!#

As for remakes, I couldn't care less about a remake of a game I've already played. Remakes of games I haven't played however are extremely tantalising.

Why couldn't they just start with the one that people have been asking for the past decade or so? It's too soon to reboot FFX.

So, lemme get this straight, if I want a remake of any other FF, I have to buy the remake of X.

In other words, you're holding the entire franchise hostage unless we give you money for this one.

I'm sorry, but we don't negotiate with terrorists. Fuck off, Enix.

I don't quite see the point in redecorating FFX. I mean, it looks pretty good even today, especially during the combat. If there are FF games in need of remaking it's the ones from the PS1 era. The blockiness that we accepted back then just doesn't cut it today.

As for them mentioning Final Fantasy XII....

I'll be honest, I'm one of those weird alien types that absolutely hated it.

I thought the characters in it were bland (especially Vahn), the environments uninspiring and the combat system boring as hell. I spent a long while playing it about halfway through, and making a concerted effort to liking it all the while (thinking "because... its FF! It's gotta be good! I love all the previous ones, so I'm obviously missing something, right?... right!?!"). Unfortunately, I finally realized I was bored out of my wits and gave up.
Since then, we've only had FF13 and its offspring. I played all the way through that one without much problem, despite thinking it really wasn't very good. Yes, thats right. I'm rating 40 hours of shiny linear corridors HIGHER than the dreary slugfest that was FF12.

Go ahead. Tell me I'm horribly mistaken, tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about and that I obviously missed the point or didn't actually play it. I've heard it all by this point. You won't change my mind. Final Fantasy was a truly great game series up until FFX, and after that it's all gone to shit.

FFXV looks good, though. I really, really, really hope it is, or my faith in squeenix's handling of this franchise will be completely gone.

DVS BSTrD:

No, they're going to make us KEEP buying every other FF game because once they fire that gun, it's over.

Nazrel:
Anything 9 or lower would cost an obscene amount to graphically update even by the ridicules standards of modern AAA's, so they will never make a HD remake of FF VII.

Graphically update? Why not just remake it? Simple as making a new game, except the maps and actor script already exist.. There ARE no roadblocks in the way that aren't in the way of just making a new AAA title.

I'm not sure why a touch up to a FF is at all a surprise given they've put out FF1-4 out on everything with a screen in a remade fashion. They port, touch up and toss their stuff on everything.

How about they stop mistreating the Tactics series and give that some actual attention to porting so the gameplay doesn't suffer, where modders were able to get FFT running better on PSP than them...oh wait, FFT as a PSOne classic runs perfectly too. Oops.

Nieroshai:

Nazrel:

Graphically update? Why not just remake it? Simple as making a new game, except the maps and actor script already exist.. There ARE no roadblocks in the way that aren't in the way of just making a new AAA title.

Exactly.

Every time Square claim that remaking FFVII would be too cost-prohibitive or will take too long, I call bull.

How can it take longer to remake a game where they already have the plot, world and combat mechanics, than it would be to design a brand new game from scratch?

Earnest Cavalli:
if one had choose another entry in the series to receive the HD treatment, it would be Final Fantasy XII. Objectively speaking, it's simply one of the best Final Fantasy titles.

**laughs**

Wow, Earnest - that's a wicked sense of humor you have there. Calling one of the worst Final Fantasy games the "objectively best" is hilarious. Well done.

I can only assume that Kitase was trolling RPG Site with that comment. FF X is an awesome game and deserves a remake. If they want another game that deserves a remake, they're gonna have to look at the PS1 era games - FF 7, 8, or 9.

wait, people hated FFX? i LOVED FFX!! :D and to a lesser extent X-2... a remake, even if its just updated graphics would be nice, the shift between cutscene graphics and game graphics is bad on a game not using sprites nowadays, and the visuals in both were so brightly colorful and really spectacular music sequences (the opening has freakin' Rammstein, what the hell's not to love?) i hope the get rid of the 'new' blitzball in X-2 for the one in FFX, it was hella better... if i'm going to complain about ANYTHING it'd be that...

as for FFVII? in my opinion it can die in a fiery inferno for all i care... but i know they're going to dangle that till the end of time as its the one thing that will ENSURE not only Squenix surviving for a millenia, but the PS as well... IF they keep to Sony's console... if they strayed... oh, the wars that will start *snorts*

i miss squaresoft stuff... but any remake is hope for other, more worthy games i suppose... would like if they remade the 1-6, played one reintroduce on PSP, and surprisingly kept me entertained in that old handheld type way... but i dunno if they CAN remake that in a 'now' sense, since it kind of requires 4 anonymous starting characters instead of ones with actual plot/background like the other characters in the FF series i've seen... and i'd like to give those a try with upgraded graphics... same with 8 and 9 i guess... though i have issue with 8 on the principle of being an Xenogears fan *shrugs*

7 can still burn for all i care... woo new 10~!! :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or