Take A Look At Microsoft's Official Xbox One Headset

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Take A Look At Microsoft's Official Xbox One Headset

Xbox One headset image

Images of the Xbox One's first-party headset have emerged and it's not too far from the system that shipped with the Xbox 360.

That image you see at right is the Xbox One's official headset. It's a monoraul device that features a "unidirectional microphone" and "wideband digital audio." Both of these terms are efforts by Microsoft's marketing team to make utterly standard features seem somehow more special.

In the realm of new, arguably impressive features, the headset does include a few. According to Gamespot, "players will be able to access mute and volume controls without taking their hands off the controller." Further, Microsoft claims that the headset comes equipped with a large battery that should keep it charged for an extended period of time. When it does run out of juice, the battery can be recharged in as little as four hours, either during gameplay or while your Xbox One is "off."

The company has chosen an interesting moment in which to debut this headset, as it's currently busy justifying the $499 price point it announced for the Xbox One at E3 2013. With Sony's PlayStation 4 priced at a comparatively frugal $399, Microsoft has been backed into a corner, forcing Xbox division head Don Mattrick to defend the decision.

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get," Mattrick claims. "Any modern product these days you look at it ... $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it."

With those words in mind, we invite you to please visit the comments section below and enjoy airing your thoughts on the Xbox One's headset.

Source: Gamespot

Looks alright but also looks it will snap like a twig for those of us with a clumsy side...

Is Sony going to be doing the Bluetooth thing again? Because I'd prefer that.

So does it come with the Xbox One in box? Other wise the "We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get," line seems a bit unrelated to the mic itself.

If you're really delivering "thousands" of dollars of "entertainment value" for $499 then you're even DUMBER then everyone already thinks you are.
Almost as dumb as we'd have to be to believe you.

For my Xbox 360 I've had 3 different Headsets so far, I lost one and broke another. I don't what it is but I've never been able to take good care of them. By just looking at it I can tell I will have to be super careful when I buy one of those things.

Whoa whoa whoa...I'm confused and maybe I'm just dumb but what are the batteries for? It looks wired so I don't believe it's wireless...or when he talks about the batteries, is he referring to the controller? It says that the headset comes with the batteries so I presume he's referring to the headset...

Anyway, shouldn't it have the poofy thing on the end? Where's my poofy thing!?!

The thing is, it looks sleek and professional but i bet it feels cheap and plasticy. I had a wireless 360 headset which is still with me today (3 years), that one felt more solid than the standard wired 360 headset.

I don't think its enough, my any stretch of the imagination. Bluetooth would have helped, i have a better logitech headset i'd have wanted to use.

Oh well, still the PS4

I thought the headset on the 360 ran off the controller battery. How much power could this one possibly need to use its own battery, since I see a cord there under the microphone, meaning it will plug in to the controller?

Why would you need a mic on the headset when the mandatory kinect already has, in their words, a top of the range mic?

Why does it only have one speaker?

"We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get," Mattrick claims. "Any modern product these days you look at it ... $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people, so I think they're going to love it when they use it."

Oh Don you silly silly sod.
Why can't you just learn to keep your mouth shut?

I think there's a typo on the article, on the second sentence it's says they use a raul-based technology "monoraul" instead of the more widespread monoaural one. :D

Really, none of this new consoles make me actually want to buy them. Those kind of statements from Microsoft seem really out of touch.

That isn't the Xbone headset, it's the 'electrodigital audio delivery mechanotron'.

And I can't help but disbelieve the idea that the Xbone delivers thousands of dollars of value for $500, unless they mean all of the stuff you pay extra for. Then yes, it delivers thousands of dollars of value. Mostly TV.

Drop the internet requirement, kinect and the price down to $399 and I might give a $%!# as I don't buy either new console. I'll just spend that much on an awesome video card and be happier.

With the big two being x86 based I'll be very surprised if we don't see more games on Steam 6 months later if not simultaneously released.

In fairness, I think that is a pretty cool looking headset. Seems kinda fragile though.

That thing looks hella uncomfortable.

What's the likelihood that Microsoft is going to break down the Xbox One into as many individual components as possible and sell them all off separately at expensive prices? Just like they did with the wireless receiver for the 360.

You're probably just getting a fancy plastic shell for your $499.

Does Sony pack a headset in the box now? My phat PS3 didn't have one. Anyone know about the PS4?

"BRAND NEW HEADSET!"
It's the 360 headset with a new coat of paint

"NOW WITH MONOAURAL SOUND SYSTEM"
It only has one earphone

"GET ONE NOW"
Because we didn't include it with the console

Is Micro$oft even trying anymore? This has to be a parody. Someone is hijacking every single press release Microsoft is making and twisting it into something stupid. That has to be it.

so, if somebody on teamchat yells "MUTE" loud enough, will that disable everybody's headsets?

ZZoMBiE13:
Does Sony pack a headset in the box now? My phat PS3 didn't have one. Anyone know about the PS4?

Yes, to my knowledge.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/06/14/hands-on-impressions-dualshock-4/

Why would I want a headset with only one earphone? It looks very uncomfortable.

All aboard the self-delusion train. Woo-WOOOOO!!!

OT: I farted.

GenGenners:

ZZoMBiE13:

Yes, to my knowledge.

Thank you for answering. :)

Earnest Cavalli:
With those words in mind, we invite you to please visit the comments section below and enjoy airing your thoughts on the Xbox One's headset.

Why am I now picturing the Escapist office team sitting around a big screen with popcorn?

Okay, with all of the console war stuff on the side ...

I can go buy a pair of headphones that are:
More durable
Have 2 speakers
Adjustable mic
and possibly have the poofy thing at the end ...

for around 15usd at any Walmart.

Not impressed.

Olrod:
Why would I want a headset with only one earphone? It looks very uncomfortable.

Not sure, but Sony is doing the same thing. Better than nothing I suppose, but most people use it for the mic than the listening experience. Of course then they will buy a $100 Turtle Beach headset or something down the line.

Upbeat Zombie:
So does it come with the Xbox One in box? Other wise the "We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get," line seems a bit unrelated to the mic itself.

Microsoft hadn't said or done anything extremely stupid in the revealing of the headset, so we had to be reminded that they still hate the consumer and think we're stupid. Though it still wasn't exactly called for to bring it up in this specific article, as they have an article now dedicated to the specific comment that the Xbone is a $1000 value at only $499.99!

GenGenners:

ZZoMBiE13:

Yes, to my knowledge.

You know, the mic looked kind of crappy, but for it being out of the box, that's awesome. I've run for the past 2 years with the crappiest computer mic and only upgraded because my friend gave me his old one, so I could actually use this out of the box mic until we get a PS5. Another reason why I'm psyched to get this console.

Earnest Cavalli:
In the realm of new, arguably impressive features, the headset does include a few. According to Gamespot, "players will be able to access mute and volume controls without taking their hands off the controller."

So...bringing back old features and touting them as "new"? Really Gamespot/MS?

Either Gamespot is stupid, or Microsoft's PR teams are horrible, because the original 360 mics already HAD that feature, before later MS-brand mics *removed* the mute and volume controls from the port and moved them into the center of the cord.

You USED to be able to mute and change volume with your thumb, before they made the asinine decision to make you have to remove your hand from the controller and fumble with the cord just to mute your mic.

Well the PS4 does come with a mono headset included in the box according to Amazon.co.uk - the single picture I found of it online didn't make it look too good though (although the article did say it was a prototype) It also didn't look like it comes with a mic.

I would want a stereo headset anyway - seriously who wouldn't?

Zachary Amaranth:
Is Sony going to be doing the Bluetooth thing again? Because I'd prefer that.

yea, considering that most bluetooth headsets work, while the Xbox needs a 2.5 jack or a 3.5>2.5 adapter for a microphone to work.

OT: so, this is what we are going with? The Cable Box costs $100 more because of the headset? that's what Microsoft is telling me, they also told me to keep my 360, to fuck off because my internet sucks, and that if I only want to play games on a console, to get a PS4.

so far Microsoft has sold me on a console, too bad it isn't theirs.

Hey, if the Cable Box fails spectacularly, Microsoft could always become a strawman; making hilariously horrible software so that customers buy from other companies all the while Microsoft is being paid by said companies.

Kalezian:

yea, considering that most bluetooth headsets work, while the Xbox needs a 2.5 jack or a 3.5>2.5 adapter for a microphone to work.

I think what annoys me most is that their wireless headsets are crap. Well, the old ones were OKAY. I had an old one and it worked well enough, picked up my voice without everything else in the room, but it wasn't spectacular. No cartwheels for it or anything. The newest one picked up everything and sounded like utter crap.

With the Playstation, I just use what I've already got for my phone. It's not an expensive headset, either. I paid 35 bucks and it has stereo, decent noise cancellation, decent range, etc. It's not going to bowl anybody over, but for a communication headset over a gaming device (or a phone with backup music options) It's far and away ahead of what Microsoft did.

Actually, I hate most of Microsoft's peripherals. But I'm not out to just bash Microsoft here. I just...I don't get the apparent lack of a common connectivity protocol AGAIN.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but...ah well.

Kiya:
Well the PS4 does come with a mono headset included in the box according to Amazon.co.uk - the single picture I found of it online didn't make it look too good though (although the article did say it was a prototype) It also didn't look like it comes with a mic.

I would want a stereo headset anyway - seriously who wouldn't?

For voice communication only? I'm not sure I'd care. If there are other options, then yes.

In fact, I sort of prefer voice chat to be in one ear only.

Looks cool, but even more fragile then the current 360 headset.

tippy2k2:
Whoa whoa whoa...I'm confused and maybe I'm just dumb but what are the batteries for? It looks wired so I don't believe it's wireless...or when he talks about the batteries, is he referring to the controller? It says that the headset comes with the batteries so I presume he's referring to the headset...

Anyway, shouldn't it have the poofy thing on the end? Where's my poofy thing!?!

Obviously for the mind control chip installed on the headset to make sure taht you don't think about buying used games or not playing your xbox one

OT: What's the price tag on this thing, it looks like they're going to charge a lot for it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here