Robert Downey Jr. Stays On As Iron Man

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Robert Downey Jr. Stays On As Iron Man

Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man

Sorry Jackie Chan, but Robert Downey Jr. is still Iron Man.

Putting to rest fears that he might be tired of the gig, Robert Downey Jr. has signed a two-picture deal to reprise his role as billionaire genius Tony Stark, better known to the world at large as Iron Man. The deal will see him play the Armored Avenger in the next two Avengers flicks.

It's not known how much money he earned for signing on the dotted line, but it's almost certainly more than anyone else in the cast and quite possibly more than all of them combined. Not that it wouldn't be worth however many money trucks Marvel rolled up to his door: The last two films in which Downey appeared as Iron Man, The Avengers in 2012 and Iron Man 3 this year, are two of the five top-grossing films of all time, earning more than $2.7 billion between them.

The Avengers 2 is being written and directed by Joss Whedon and is slated to hit theaters in the U.S. on May 1, 2015.

Source: Marvel

Good.

I really couldn't think of anyone else replacing him.

oh god that is awesome

He really did hit the character of Tony Stark on the head.
I'd say his paycheck is obscene, but then again, so are the profits for those films.

Yup, good purchase. Losing him as Iron Man would be the worst thing that could possibly hit this franchise.

I'm glad Iron Downey Jr. has embraced his character. A lot of actors grow resentful when their careers get too tied to a role. RDJ loves the comics and really enjoys being known as Iron Man.

In true Stark fashion Robert Downey Man said that one of the perks of being publicly known as the character is that he gets to act like himself on camera. I love this guy.

But when is Pepper Potts going to get her own movie?

Some say that he received $50 million for his role in The Avengers. Can you imagine playing superheroes with a bunch of awesome people AND getting payed a ridiculous amount of money to do it?

DVS BSTrD:
But when is Pepper Potts going to get her own movie?

When she becomes relevant.

Thank God... I couldnt even began to imagine what Iron Man or the Avengers would look like without Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark.

Sounds like they may hold off on doing more Iron Man-specific films until a reboot unfortunately :(

I'm glad, at this point it would be very difficult to accept anyone else in the role. It's easy for him to be Tony Stark, and that really comes accross in his performance.

And he's one of those men that just gets more and more attractive the older he gets. Yum.

RDJ stays on as Iron Man for now...and there was much rejoicing...

Fappy:
Sounds like they may hold off on doing more Iron Man-specific films until a reboot unfortunately :(

Meh they don't need to now, his story has finished, he will probably make cameo appearances across other marvel films as well as being in the next 2 avenger films

That's a relief.
It would have sucked to have to get someone else to fill the role when RDJ plays it so masterfully.

RDJ seems like he was born for the role, I couldn't imagine anyone else. I am curious as to what role he'll have in The Avengers 2/3 after IM3.

Yes! This is a big relief, while Avengers 2 would have been okay without him. It would have lacked that additional charm and humour that RDJ provides.

Awesome news. Could not have imagined anyone else fit for the roll. Shame he demands so much money and screws over the other actors but they're not being paid poorly either. Anything over 100k is a lot of doe to me.

Glad Mr. Downey has signed a TWO movie deal.

If it were just one, we'd have to worry about him being Whedoned.

DugMachine:
screws over the other actors

Might want to check that again.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/09/robert-downey-jr-fighting-for-better-pay-for-avengers-cast-3747166/
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/robert-downey-jr-avengers-marvel-negotiations-fight/

He's actually been fighting with Marvel to get the other actors a pay raise.

He demands the salary he does because that's how much him being in the film adds it's revenue. If it doesn't go to him, it goes to the company. Which would you prefer?

Krantos:

DugMachine:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/09/robert-downey-jr-fighting-for-better-pay-for-avengers-cast-3747166/
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/robert-downey-jr-avengers-marvel-negotiations-fight/

He demands the salary he does because that's how much him being in the film adds it's revenue. If it doesn't go to him, it goes to the company. Which would you prefer?

I hoped someone else was going to remember WHY RDJ wanted to renegotiate his contract with Marvel. I want to know IF his co-stars have been affected by this

GSP66:
Good.

I can...

Women, Charisma, Vices, Tonnes of Money, computer whizz, probably killed a guy.

He is Iron Man.

Krantos:

DugMachine:

Well then color me shocked. Good guy RDJ. With how much money those films generate the actors definitely deserve a good chunk.

Hero in a half shell:

GSP66:
Good.

I can...

We're just saving him for when we need an older version of Stark to travel back in time to the present.

Dangit2019:

Hero in a half shell:

GSP66:
Good.

I can...

We're just saving him for when we need an older version of Stark to travel back in time to the present.

That was quite literally the most hilarious thing I have seen all day.

MinionJoe:
Glad Mr. Downey has signed a TWO movie deal.

If it were just one, we'd have to worry about him being Whedoned.

He's just a flash back in the second of the films he signed on for ;D.

DUN DUN DUN!

Directed by M. Night Shyamawhedon.

Robert Downey Jr. IS Tony Stark at this point

There is not a chance in HELL that audiences would accept anyone else as a replacement.

He fucking OWNS that character.

Well, if an actor is going to make an ungodly sum of money, I'd just as soon they earned it playing a character they portray well in a movie that's actually worth watching. Thus far, Downey hasn't disappointed.

Really excited about this news (even if I'd rather have another Iron Man movie than Avengers 2...) as I'm sure Marvel would lose a lot more money with him not being there than having to pay him. Even if he is replaced as Iron Man in some Avengers n movie, the audiences would still see it by the millions, but it just wouldn't feel the same.

Let's be honest. Robert Downey Jr. IS Tony Stark. He just comes off with so much smug charm and charisma that no one else could pull it off. The man absolutely stole every scene he was in in Avengers. Though every actor nailed their roles in that movie and they played off each other perfectly.

Still, this is good news. And I honestly like him. Everything I hear about him makes him seem like a decent person. And he really seems to have turned his life around. So, this may seem odd, but I am sort of proud of him. Don't know him, but all the same, I am happy to see him earning such great success.

Let's not lie; was this ever -really- in doubt? He's basically the face of the MCU.

Can we still have Jackie Chan in a suit fighting alongside him?

Anyway, that is awesome news, because Robert really does play an excellent Tony Stark. He steals the entire film, pumps it up with greatness, then reveals a contract stating that he legally bought the film when he stole it and just wanted the pleasure of seeing everyone's faces when he hijacked it.

Life is good...

I think this qualify for nerdfest 2013. DJ, Fire up the Lord of the rings audio book!

Just out of curiosity. How are we gonna replace junior as iron man. He made the character what it was. He is iron man

TBH if he did not, I would not watch MCU anymore :D He steals the movies.

BUT WHY DID COULSON DIE :<

I like him as Ironman but I would be fine with a new actor. Iron Man has changed many times over the years. In the inevitable Reboot I look forward to see who else they get to do the role and hope that person does his own thing and not just impersonate him.

lets hope he just does the Avengers films for a while, dont want over saturation

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here