PlayStation 3 Update Fixes Sony's Earlier, Broken Patch

PlayStation 3 Update Fixes Sony's Earlier, Broken Patch

PlayStation 3 console

Sony has rolled out a new update for the PlayStation 3 alongside instructions on how to fix your console if the firm's last update caused it to stop functioning properly.

Last week Sony issued a firmware update for the PlayStation 3 dubbed "System Software v.4.45." Normally new software like this is a welcome sight, but it was quickly discovered that anyone who had modified their PlayStation 3 system with a larger, non-native hard drive would encounter very big problems after applying the 4.45 update. Specifically, their PlayStation 3 consoles would no longer display XrossMediaBar icons, which as anyone who owns a PS3 knows, is the cornerstone of the system's most basic, fundamental functionality.

Sony scrambled to apologize for the issue, and quickly worked to amend the problem with a new, less damaging software update. That update arrived this morning, and those of you whose consoles still work will find the 4.46 firmware update software available the next time you power up your Sony-branded gaming device.

But what of those unfortunates whose consoles are still busted? Sony has a fix for that too. While technically the process is only three steps, each of those steps includes its own set of steps, so the end result is a rather involved solution. Sadly, there doesn't appear to be an easier way to get your PS3 back up to 100-percent working order, so those of afflicted by Sony's last update are basically stuck running through Sony's fix. Fortunately the company does explain things in great detail, so it should be difficult to screw things up any futher if you simply follow the company's instructions. A full walkthrough on the fix can be found on Sony's official PlayStation 3 support site.

Now that our collective nightmare is over, let's put all of this behind us. The PlayStation 4 will be arriving soon, and we can't wait to see what sorts of innovative, creative new plans Sony has for breaking that machine.

Source: Sony

What's that? A company that doesn't just ask us to send our console away when it bricks? Sony is pulling it's A game, I was expecting the Red-Ring-of-Death solution: to just say 'wait for it to get back in a few weeks, or just buy a new one.'

This is a situation outside of the current console war bickering that shows Sony really does care.

Captcha: lovey dovey
Ok, maybe they don't care that much...

Well my PS3 is still alive after installing 4.46 so that is good news.

Still glad I was not on the PS3 when 4.45 apparently came out to crash and burn.

TiberiusEsuriens:
What's that? A company that doesn't just ask us to send our console away when it bricks? Sony is pulling it's A game, I was expecting the Red-Ring-of-Death solution: to just say 'wait for it to get back in a few weeks, or just buy a new one.'

This is a situation outside of the current console war bickering that shows Sony really does care.

Wow, do you even understand what the RRoD error was? Most reports indicated that it was the motherboard cracking due to high heat. A repair job like that is just a little bit different than "Download patch to USB drive, boot into safe mode, install patch".

Not to mention the fact that the last time the 360 had a patch that caused problems with bricking consoles, they auto-detected the problem over XBox Live and then sent those people brand new 250GB slim models.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.284891-Firmware-Update-May-Break-Your-Old-Xbox-360-UPDATE

Doctor Proctor:
snip

Your username...it's the same one as my therapist...are you stalking me! XD

OT: Good thing I don't connect my console to the internet much. I'm always weary of updates and I'm glad that I wasn't using my PS3's online functions and installed this update. Looks like I dodged another bullet.

Doctor Proctor:

TiberiusEsuriens:

Wow, do you even understand what the RRoD error was? Most reports indicated that it was the motherboard cracking due to high heat. A repair job like that is just a little bit different than "Download patch to USB drive, boot into safe mode, install patch".

Not to mention the fact that the last time the 360 had a patch that caused problems with bricking consoles, they auto-detected the problem over XBox Live and then sent those people brand new 250GB slim models.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.284891-Firmware-Update-May-Break-Your-Old-Xbox-360-UPDATE

Dude, I was making a dumb joke, don't get all fussy. My point was that Sony's consumer approach has improved a ton, going out of their way to make sure others don't have to.

As far as Xbox, there were so many different causes of failure, the RRoD was pretty much a catch all error message. Sometimes it was hardware, sometimes firmware, I've had mine red ring because I put in a Gears of War cd (that's it, didn't even hit play). Plugging in a USB 360 controller did it, too. The ring could mean a perma-death or just a restart needed. My point was that if you called customer service the only real option they had was to tell you to ship it in.

The fact that Sony tells users in relatively intimate detail how to fix their proprietary device is cool. I've never seen any major tech company do that, and it's a move that can put trust between the two parties.

Neronium:

Doctor Proctor:
snip

Your username...it's the same one as my therapist...are you stalking me! XD

Purely a coincidence I assure you. ;Þ

TiberiusEsuriens:

Doctor Proctor:

TiberiusEsuriens:

-snip-

Dude, I was making a dumb joke, don't get all fussy. My point was that Sony's consumer approach has improved a ton, going out of their way to make sure others don't have to.

As far as Xbox, there were so many different causes of failure, the RRoD was pretty much a catch all error message. Sometimes it was hardware, sometimes firmware, I've had mine red ring because I put in a Gears of War cd (that's it, didn't even hit play). Plugging in a USB 360 controller did it, too. The ring could mean a perma-death or just a restart needed. My point was that if you called customer service the only real option they had was to tell you to ship it in.

The fact that Sony tells users in relatively intimate detail how to fix their proprietary device is cool. I've never seen any major tech company do that, and it's a move that can put trust between the two parties.

Those were actually different errors going on. The Red Ring of Death, or RRoD was a general hardware failure that was not consumer repairable without voiding the warranty. Other things that caused red lights to light up on the console (such as one of the codes that had two lights indicating overheating) could be fixed through rebooting. And again, that's massively different than a software patch issue.

Regardless, MS did the right thing in the case of the RRoD and extended their one year warranty to a full three years. Since the manufacturing date was listed on the console, they didn't even require a receipt as long as it fell within the 3 year window.

Point is, joking or not, people seem to have this whole "**** on MS" attitude that I feel is undeserved. I even see tons of game journalists engaging constantly in massive hyperbole and jumping on any chance to make MS look bad. For example, there was a story a couple weeks ago where one of the Escapist news writers went into breathless speculation about how MS was covering up things wrong with Windows 8 and XBox One because they ran all their E3 demos on Windows 7 machines...only to update the story later with two lines saying how essentially EVERYTHING in the article was wrong, and that this was isolated to one minor developer. But you know, it's MS, so it's fine...right? But Sony bricks their console with an update for like, what, the third or fourth time now? And they get praised for basically saying "Sorry we messed up your stuff, here's some instructions so you can fix it yourself"?

I'm not saying MS is a saint, but neither is Sony. XBox Live never went down for a MONTH due to hackers owning their network and stealing consumer information. MS also never had to recall millions of laptop batteries because they were literally exploding! Neither corporation is good or evil, they just *are*. They should be judged on the merits of their actions, not on fanboy hyperbole.

Captcha: no stinkin badges

Doctor Proctor:
^snip

Agree about the platform bias/hate. I'm pretty impartial on the whole pointless console war thing. I've got products from all sides for different reasons, and in the end don't really care about the internet grudges so long as the product I'm using is good for what I bought it for.

My point about RRoD was not trying to ignore the core reason (that of a poor soldering process during manufacturing of the original batches) but that Microsoft did a poor job on it's error codes. For all the failures mentioned above that I got *a* red ring of death (completely identical to the eye), even if it wasn't the "Official RRoD". I bought a refurbished console so the manufacturing problem had been solved. Unless you're going to tell me that all my RRoDs I got were somehow invalid I don't really see what you're getting at. An error was an error, and the Xbox didn't distinguish. It just happened to be that the largest/most common error was the motherboard shitting itself.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here