Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remasters on PS3/Vita Will Support Cross Play

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remasters on PS3/Vita Will Support Cross Play

Final Fantasy X HD screenshot

Final Fantasy fans will be able to play on the go and pick up where they left on the big screen when they get home.

Sometimes you just want an epic role-playing game that you can take on the go. Something you can whittle away at on bus trips or enjoy for hours without bogarting the television and earning the ire of your friends and family. On the flipside, there are RPGs that were clearly made to be enjoyed on a big screen. Square Enix games, generally rife with the prettiest visuals that money can buy, are prime examples of titles that could arguably lose their luster if forcibly shrunk down. Rather than being forced to choose between convenience and cinematic grandiose however, Square Enix has revealed that players will be able to have their portable cake and eat it too.

Speaking at Paris's Japan Expo 2013, Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase revealed Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster on PS3 will have Cross Play functionality with the Vita versions of the Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2. The catch, of course, is that the games, as of yet, have no Cross Buy functionality, meaning you'll need to buy a PS3 copy and then the two Vita ports, which are being sold separately rather than as a bundled package. While the prospect of having to buy multiple copies of the same games to access Cross Play is liable to turn off some whose pockets aren't lined with expendable cash, it's far from unprecedented. The PS3 and Vita versions of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for instance, had Cross Play but were similarly sold as separate products absent of Cross Buy.

Source: RPGSite

It supports cross-saves but not cross-buys... You have to make 3 separate purchases if you want to take the experience on the go and have it on a home console. yuck. I guess I really can't blame Square for not supporting cross-buy; what's their incentive to do it? It's one of those hyped Vita features that I knew would only come to fruition on few games.

Final Fantasy X is however still and excellent game in spite of the bad voice acting and this looks like a HD remaster done right. There are new character models, added content to the ending, the CGI appears to have been touched up, and the additional content of both international versions that were never released in North America! You can't argue with that!

I wasn't expecting it to be cross-buy anyhow. It's a bit of a tough pill to swallow, but the way I see it, you might as well just buy it on the Vita, and only play on vita. That way, you can play on the go, or at home. The only difference with cross-buy seems that you'd get to play on a bigger screen.

I now have a grin that spans my face and an erection double that.
Seeing as I was probably going to get it on both anyway (I just love this game) this just makes me even happier.

Why no CrossBuy?

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale had CrossBuy. It's a brilliant idea; buy the console version, get the portable version free. Buy the portable version, you'll have to buy the console version.

That function should be standard for games with CrossPlay.

The_Echo:
Why no CrossBuy?

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale had CrossBuy. It's a brilliant idea; buy the console version, get the portable version free. Buy the portable version, you'll have to buy the console version.

I would have loved to have seen square sell X/X-2 like this.

This is one of the main reasons I now have Sly Cooper and Playstation All-stars on both Vita and Ps3, otherwise I would only have it on Vita.

The_Echo:
Why no CrossBuy?

Both of those are first-party Sony games. Their incentive to add cross-buy is to try and help promote a handheld that's failing. What would Square's incentive be to add cross-buy other than being nice? It's a feature that will only happening with first-party Sony games and that's the way it's going to stay.

alphamalet:

The_Echo:
Why no CrossBuy?

Both of those are first-party Sony games. Their incentive to add cross-buy is to try and help promote a handheld that's failing. What would Square's incentive be to add cross-buy other than being nice? It's a feature that will only happening with first-party Sony games and that's the way it's going to stay.

Actually, Thieves in Time was developed by Sanzaru Games, which is second-party.

It does make sense for third-parties to sell games without CrossBuy. But, I dunno. It'd be nice of them, and people always like a company more when they're nice. And with some of their recent decisions (like milking FFXIII which nobody ever asked for), it wouldn't hurt to build up some favor again.

Tidus has a face in that pic that is freaking me out...he looks like my cousin...my female cousin...

I will probably pick it up for the Vita, I have no PS3 but plan to get some PS3 games on my PS4 if that streaming service (Galkai is it?) is good.

Wait Final Fantasy X was ment to be enjoyed?

Lack of cross buy is fine for me because I don't plan on getting a Vita. I'm not interested in spending $250 on a system whose biggest selling point is "it can play the games you can already play."

Give it some good exclusives and we'll talk. That's what Nintendo had to do before I-and I suspect consumers as a whole-was willing to buy a 3DS, and the Vita has to do that but better because of its higher price point... you know, the same price point that Nintendo was smart enough to cut. And no, a game that's only exclusive to Vita as a handheld game but already on PS3 does not count.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I really hope I don't come across as a hater. I want to want a Vita, I really do, but there just the vast majority of its high rated games are available on systems I already own, and I simply can't justify the purchase just for Uncharted, Velocity Ultra, and Gravity Rush. (inb4 someone forgets that Persona 4 Golden is a port of a PS2 game)

Covarr:
Lack of cross buy is fine for me because I don't plan on getting a Vita. I'm not interested in spending $250 on a system whose biggest selling point is "it can play the games you can already play."

Give it some good exclusives and we'll talk. That's what Nintendo had to do before I-and I suspect consumers as a whole-was willing to buy a 3DS, and the Vita has to do that but better because of its higher price point... you know, the same price point that Nintendo was smart enough to cut. And no, a game that's only exclusive to Vita as a handheld game but already on PS3 does not count.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. I really hope I don't come across as a hater. I want to want a Vita, I really do, but there just the vast majority of its high rated games are available on systems I already own, and I simply can't justify the purchase just for Uncharted, Velocity Ultra, and Gravity Rush. (inb4 someone forgets that Persona 4 Golden is a port of a PS2 game)

You're not a hater. I love my Vita but its library is definitely limited. That said, I am really digging all the indie releases I'm going to be able to play on it. I already had Hotline Miami on PC but having it portable has basically turned it into digital crack for me.

Eh, cross-buy would have been appreciated, but it's not a big deal. It's kind of annoying that X and X-2 are being sold separately on the Vita, though. My question is why would you buy both versions of the game? Cross-play doesn't seem worth it or relevant to the consumer at all unless cross-buy is in place as well.

Covarr:

It is quite a shame. The Vita is an amazing little piece of technology and I love mine (this coming from someone who previously thought she wasn't a handheld type of gamer at all), but Sony has been handling their marketing and support for the system abysmally.

Cross-play will have no impact on my purchasing decision whatsoever. What will, however, is a friggin' release date.

The_Echo:

alphamalet:

Actually, Thieves in Time was developed by Sanzaru Games, which is second-party.

It does make sense for third-parties to sell games without CrossBuy. But, I dunno. It'd be nice of them, and people always like a company more when they're nice. And with some of their recent decisions (like milking FFXIII which nobody ever asked for), it wouldn't hurt to build up some favor again.

Agreed. I think it would be great PR for companies to offer cross-buy and would help sell Vita's which could potential increase the size of a potential market. In a perfect world i suppose. And good catch on Sly being second-party. I forgot about that.

alphamalet:
It supports cross-saves but not cross-buys... You have to make 3 separate purchases if you want to take the experience on the go and have it on a home console. yuck. I guess I really can't blame Square for not supporting cross-buy; what's their incentive to do it? It's one of those hyped Vita features that I knew would only come to fruition on few games.

Final Fantasy X is however still and excellent game in spite of the bad voice acting and this looks like a HD remaster done right. There are new character models, added content to the ending, the CGI appears to have been touched up, and the additional content of both international versions that were never released in North America! You can't argue with that!

What bad voice acting? ( and please don't post that Tidus laughing bit with Yuna ).

OT: meh . I already own it on ps2. Plus i don't think it even needs an HD re-release . So i'm completly indifferent.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.