The Last of Us Sells Over 1 Million Units Per Week

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Last of Us Sells Over 1 Million Units Per Week

Over 3.4 million copies of The Last of Us have been sold since it's debut three weeks ago.

Did you buy The Last of Us? If you did, you are among the 3.4 million fans who snapped up Naughty Dog's latest adventure in the first three weeks of its release. This means that the game is selling at an absolutely ludicrous rate of 1 million units per week, making it the fastest selling PS3 title of 2013.

"The teams at Naughty Dog are true visionaries and their storytelling capabilities are second to none, this title is an undisputed demonstration of that. SCE continues to be committed to delivering unique gameplay experiences that redefine the interactive entertainment industry and The Last of Us is a perfect example."

"These sales figures are a testament to the blockbuster quality of The Last of Us," said Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. Indeed, The Last of Us has been getting perfect and near-perfect reviews all over the place, and is currently sitting on a very respectible 95/100 on Metacritic.

With the PS4 right around the corner, The Last of Us is probably set to be the last, great game of the current console generation, and it's phenomenal success is a testament to the risk Naughty Dog was willing to take on an original IP so late into this generation.

Three content packs in a Season Pass are set to be released for the game, consisting of 1 piece of story content and 2 pieces of multiplayer content. Hopefully, we haven't seen the last of The Last of Us, and can hope for a follow-up in the next generation!

Source: Gamechup

"How can this be!???, after all it isn't a cover based first person shooter with a vivid multiplayer aspect and micro transactions or even day one dlc!!! this thing should not be making money!!!"

I can only imagine that this must be a publishers first thought

OT: haven't gotten around to purchasing the game yet, but I specifically bought a used PS3 for getting it eventually, it seems like a game that is too good to miss out on.

This feels so wrong,it's a new IP,it has a GUURL on the cover in non-revealing clothes (yuck) and it treats its audience like adults.Sony must have spent a fortune to buy NPD off to spread false info.

edit:damn! beaten:P

I just sincerely hope that this is a wake up call to other publishers. It shows that gamers WANT fresh ideas and new content and that just copy-pasting from another mould is not always a good idea.

Maybe this will get other publishers to back some more new IP's with interesting dynamics.

I really want to buy and play this but I don't have/want a PS3 :(
They should really make a PC port of this and release it for Christmas... they would make even more money!

WWmelb:

Maybe this will get other publishers to back some more new IP's with interesting dynamics.

I think one problem is that they only produce super polished games with insane budgets. If they didn't spend too much on single projects, they could produce more of them and one failure wouldn't be as bad.
Right now most of them have to "play it safe". And that is what makes it boring and repetitive.
They really didn't learn from the whole MMO WoW-clone time... I hope they learn from the success of Indies and from the success of The Last of Us. But I somehow doubt it :/

well, i know a guy that bought a PS3 2 days ago solely for this game, so i gues it sells more than that....

CapchA: you are happy

you dont say...

Good news: A lot of people are enjoying this gem.

Bad news: This means an unnecessary sequel is likely already in the works.

O maestre:
"How can this be!???, after all it isn't a cover based first person shooter with a vivid multiplayer aspect and micro transactions or even day one dlc!!! this thing should not be making money!!!"

OT: haven't gotten around to purchasing the game yet, but I specifically bought a used PS3 for getting it eventually, it seems like a game that is too good to miss out on.

Actually, it did technically have "day 1 DLC". The season pass was available on release, and includes some 'Day 1 Bonuses,' namely a number of in-game upgrades and an "exclusive" 90-minute making of documentary called 'Grounded.'

I´t an edgy, gritty, lightweight stealth game with "zombies", that´s something we´ll be seeing a lot more of in the coming years, the new black.

I don´t particularily get this game (atleast not as: "This is the greatest achievement in storytelling across all media ever!") but to each their own^^. I do enjoy sneaking around, so i might play it one day when it gets really cheap.

Steven Bogos:

O maestre:

Actually, it did technically have "day 1 DLC". The season pass was available on release, and includes some 'Day 1 Bonuses,' namely a number of in-game upgrades and an "exclusive" 90-minute making of documentary called 'Grounded.'

My bad, like I said I have yet to buy it, although that dlc you mentioned doesn't sound like game content being withheld, as in actual chunks of gameplay. Still think this is a major kick in the groin for all those publishers and devolopers that stick unoriginal games, in the hopes of making this kind of profit.

Casual Shinji:
Good news: A lot of people are enjoying this gem.

Bad news: This means an unnecessary sequel is likely already in the works.

Let's just hope they don't do an Ubisoft. ND's been going "yeah sure, we're open to the idea of s Last of Us sequel" while Watch Dogs isn't even out, and Ubisoft's already going "Hell yeah, 10 years of Watch Dogs mothafuckas!"

It's not that surprising folks, after all the game does still include a grizzled-looking brown-haired white dude partaking in cover-based shooting and stealth elements. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves!

It is fun how the old mascot platformer developer folk are making these emotional and adult games now, and they're being good at it too! Very good!

(For example naughty dog going from Crash Bandicoot to this and Uncharted. And Sucker Punch going from Sly Cooper to Infamous.)

I was also surprised to see this game also toppled the Japanese game charts. It's not often a Western game peaks no.1 in Japan. Seems this game has real worldwide appeal.... or a lot of good marketing. Ellen Paige would be proud.

And well deserved it is too, even if it isn't quite the "Citizen Kane of gaming" that has been used to describe it.

Although I'm still waiting on Unkarted, the Uncharted kart racer, Naughty Dog!

Its great that it is selling well, but i really dont think it needs a sequel. It works well as a standalone game in my opinion and doesnt really need another chapter added to it.

"These sales figures are a testament to the blockbuster quality of The Last of Us," At 3.5 million sales.

...Do I even NEED to make the comparisons to Tomb Raider right now? Good on the devs for having realistic standards.

It's nice to see a character driven game receive good sales as well as critical acclaim.

Although that Sony guy you quoted needs to take his hand off it. Few things are worse than a smug executive.

MrBaskerville:
I´t an edgy, gritty, lightweight stealth game with "zombies", that´s something we´ll be seeing a lot more of in the coming years, the new black.

I don´t particularily get this game (atleast not as: "This is the greatest achievement in storytelling across all media ever!") but to each their own^^. I do enjoy sneaking around, so i might play it one day when it gets really cheap.

Of course you don't get it... you haven't played it... I mean if you play it and don't get it fair enough but it seems odd to say anything otherwise. Sorry but the "It's not unique" cries are bothering me lately. Yes it has familiar elements but Shakespeare never wrote an original story in hi life. It's not about the elements used, it's about how they used them to craft a story.

I mean we'd seen post apocalyptic stories before The Road, but that's still one of the best books in the genre.

Haven't got a PS3 yet, but once the next gen hits I imagine the current gen systems will be super cheap.

Then I'll get to play all of those PS3 games I missed out on, including The Last of us.

Ah yes, Metacritic. where there are plenty of users with 1 review, 1 rating around 7+.

Still, I wouldn't be too surprised if this was done to show that people support feminism in games. Congratz NG, good marketing.

I don't have a PS3, so I can't play this despite wanting to, so I hope that Galkai streaming service on the PS4 will have it so I can play games I couldn't before.

Good to see it doing well, the naysayers who think female characters make games sell less can suck it.

TizzytheTormentor:

Good to see it doing well, the naysayers who think female characters make games sell less can suck it.

Tis unfortunate that this is only the publishers' opinion and no-one else.

mad825:

TizzytheTormentor:

Tis unfortunate that this is only the publishers' opinion and no-one else.

Yeah, considering games with ladies on the cover seem to do pretty damn well (screw you Square Enix, 3.5 million sales for Tomb Raider is awesome)

It is a silly idea that has been proven wrong.

Spot1990:

MrBaskerville:

Of course you don't get it... you haven't played it... I mean if you play it and don't get it fair enough but it seems odd to say anything otherwise. Sorry but the "It's not unique" cries are bothering me lately. Yes it has familiar elements but Shakespeare never wrote an original story in hi life. It's not about the elements used, it's about how they used them to craft a story.

I mean we'd seen post apocalyptic stories before The Road, but that's still one of the best books in the genre.

I´ve seen around 7 hours of gameplay/story footage (in sequence, mostly beginning and ending) that should count for something. I just don´t get the universal praise it gets, it might be a good game, but it just seems very basic on the gameplay front. The story defineately seems to be better than your average videogame, but as something that makes people cry and yell: "Most amazing thing ever!". But that´s probably because i´m more of a gameplay oriented guy, i got books and movies for stories. In that regard the game seems decent, but again it´s the universal praise i don´t get.

Aaaaaaaaw crap.

If it had failed, there might have been a chance for Naughty Dog to finally finish what they had started with the Jak series.
Now we're gonna have this turn into a franchise instead.

I mean, I've heard it's a good game (but not really my genre) and I'm happy for the fans and the developer.
But still... I wanted my closure.

Hey, the girl on the cover didn't stop the game from selling well. Looks like some people have to look over their claims and evidence.

I was discussing sales figures in another forum though, isn't it amazing that the installed PS3 user base is 70-80 million, yet a game like this will probably crack 5 million at the most? What the heck are people doing with their PS3's?

Now, if every person who rented, borrowed or bought the game used instead would buy it new at release, what do you guys think the total sales figure would be??

O maestre:

"IT DOESN'T FIT THE DATA CHART PATTERN CARL!! WE WEREN'T PREPARED FOR THIS ANOMALY!!!"

And then their heads explode in a shower of dollar bills.

havoc33:
I was discussing sales figures in another forum though, isn't it amazing that the installed PS3 user base is 70-80 million, yet a game like this will probably crack 5 million at the most? What the heck are people doing with their PS3's?

Now, if every person who rented, borrowed or bought the game used instead would buy it new at release, what do you guys think the total sales figure would be??

the game has only been out for 3 weeks i really doubt that the used game sales would affect the sale totals at all, since there would be very few used games out there.

Used games do not affect sales that much in the grand scheme of things at all, you are never going to make a game that hits 100% of the user base and even if you did many people dont go spree shopping, I am personally going to wait until the price goes down a little. This amount of sales in such a short amount of time is impressive however.

MrBaskerville:

Spot1990:

MrBaskerville:

I´ve seen around 7 hours of gameplay/story footage (in sequence, mostly beginning and ending) that should count for something. I just don´t get the universal praise it gets, it might be a good game, but it just seems very basic on the gameplay front. The story defineately seems to be better than your average videogame, but as something that makes people cry and yell: "Most amazing thing ever!". But that´s probably because i´m more of a gameplay oriented guy, i got books and movies for stories. In that regard the game seems decent, but again it´s the universal praise i don´t get.

It fits some of the stereotypes that the genre it chose has, but the big difference is that it's well done. Every other dev makes a zombie game and says, "Ok, we have guns, how can we make this game more zombie?" It's like the only plan they have is to port a generic horror film to a game and throw more shooting in.

Naughty Dog makes a game that may or may not have zombies in it but says, "Ok, we have setting XYZ, now how can we make the player have ALL THE FEELS?" Last of Us is also a game best experienced first hand.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Not all games exist just to be games. Sometimes they strive to be more. Most games really do fall down into categories like Fox News' murder simulator. Players these days are so over saturated in games that we stop asking for good story and experiences and demand that all merits of a game, whether it be RPG/MMO/simulator/FPS, be judged solely on how complicated it's controls and menus are.

TL; DR
The "universal praise" is because it's the game we always wanted, but not the one we deserved. If it was a movie it'd be winning Oscars, but since it happens to be a game we complain that "its shooting isnt deep enough." Really guys?

O maestre:

havoc33:

the game has only been out for 3 weeks i really doubt that the used game sales would affect the sale totals at all, since there would be very few used games out there.

Used games do not affect sales that much in the grand scheme of things at all, you are never going to make a game that hits 100% of the user base and even if you did many people dont go spree shopping, I am personally going to wait until the price goes down a little. This amount of sales in such a short amount of time is impressive however.

I know it's only been out three weeks, so I was speaking hypothetically, what do you think the total sales numbers of the game would amount to if no one was able to rent, borrow or ever buy used.

Even with the biggest blockbuster multi-platform releases, we have very few titles that manage to sell to 10% of the total user base, which I find very surprising. Only titles I can think of right off the bat is Cod and Fifa. Most "great" selling titles end up at about 4-5 million, which is actually very low to the total installed user base.

MrBaskerville:

Spot1990:

MrBaskerville:

I´ve seen around 7 hours of gameplay/story footage (in sequence, mostly beginning and ending) that should count for something.

Except it really doesn't.

Sure, you can decide whether you think something looks generic, mediocre, average, or whatever else just by watching it, but video games are inherently different in the fact that it really isn't the same experience at all to watch something rather than play it yourself.

Or to put it another way? Just watching TellTale's The Walking Dead or thatgamecompany's Journey, I'd probably think "Eh, this is kinda boring...", but actually playing them for myself I get a vastly different impression and by the end feel overwhelmed by the magnificence of them; Even though from a technical standpoint I'd probably call them average 'games' at best.

Video games are interactive, and are unique as an entertainment medium because of it. Remove the interactivity and you remove up to three-quarters of the experience; you might as well just be watching a film that's too long, has poorly paced exposition and dialogue, and terribly-directed action sequences.

I saw a play-through on Youtube of this game. I stayed from beginning to the end. Is the only time I regretted not buying a PS3. Wonderful story telling and engaging characters. A real bulls eye.

O maestre:
"How can this be!???, after all it isn't a cover based first person shooter with a vivid multiplayer aspect

Vivid multiplayer? You mean the Gears of War multiplayer with some little additions? Seriously, its basically GOW that takes notes from COD instead of Quake. And I've been hearing the same things about multiplayer as GOW: "brutal exections", "harsh strategies", and all that jazz.
OT: Either way, Halo 4 sales. Near same amount within a day or two. http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51758/halo-4/Global/
Next gen, I'm sure the exclusive sales figures will equalize, or come very close.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here