Pokémon League Falls To Deadly Magikarp

Pokémon League Falls To Deadly Magikarp

Watch as a pokémon trainer and a faithful Magikarp take on the world (and utterly destroy everything in their path).

Pokémon (the gaming franchise) is built atop the idea of adorable monsters that one can train to improve their fighting abilities. As such, one of these monsters must be the least capable fighter, and in the eyes of many that ignominious title falls to the lowly Magikarp. Though it evolves into the mighty Gyarados at level 20, the Magikarp itself is barely capable of feebly flopping around on dry land. It's a giant goldfish, what do you expect?

Despite this obvious handicap, YouTube user "Meikachuchu" decided to take Magikarp on an around the world journey, stopping only at the various bosses of Pokémon Leaf Green or Pokémon Fire Red (it's impossible to tell which, based on the video) to engage in mortal combat. In one corner, you have the boss' team, and in the other is a probably-damp Magikarp. None of the battles in that video are remotely fair fights, but as you'll see, Meikachuchu downs every boss (with the exception of Erica, who Meikachuchu claims to have beaten shortly before misplacing the recorded footage).

I won't lie to you guys, this is another one of those times where I've decided to just show you something neat in lieu of whatever it is they pay me for around here. In this case the appeal comes not from the video itself, but from the festivities that you'll see after Meikachuchu beats the Elite Four.

Have you ever seen a lone Magikarp enshrined in the Pokémon League hall of fame? No? It really is something truly magical.

Source: Kotaku

I cannot deny, that was really impressive.

I never really thought of the X items as being that useful, but this guy put them to really good use here.

Honestly, I'm really happy for the Magikarp, it's about time they got their day in the sun, they deserve it.

There are worse things to be than Magikarp.

I don't know what a Yamcha is, but it sounds disappointing.

It might not be enshrined in the Pokemon League HOF, but how about a Magikarp taking down the gods of time, space, and creation?

Of course it's a WiFi battle and the Magikarp needed some set-up, but that's pretty damn impressive too.

Meh Grinding your magikarp to twice the level of who ever you're fighting sounds really bad.

That was pretty damn pro. The one time I played through the FireRed I didn't grind at all and basically ended up soloing the Elite Four with a level 65 Clefable. It wasn't fun :/

My god that was awesome to watch and enjoyable

I guess he had some Magic for that video

And today I learned it's possible to buff the shit out of Flail. Never would've thought of that.

P.S. Thanks

Can't say that I'm shocked.

All hail glorious Magikarp.

Not impressive. Buy a ton of X boosts (each increases the corresponding stat by 50% up to a maximum of 400% of the stat), buy a ton of healing potions (I prefer full restores) and steamroll it.

One does not simply make fun of Magikarp!

Magikarp is beast!

Also found this!
You do not mess with Magikarp!

Andy Shandy:

The customer I was talking to on the phone at work was curious why I suddenly burst out laughing and couldn't stop. I asked if he knew about pokemon and he said yes. I explained what I saw and he thought it was hilarious as well.

Good times.

Completely by accident, I was listening to this while I was watching this video:

Yeah, I know.

But it was pretty crunk as top speed.

Allow me to use a galactic hero to some up the trainer's thoughts during the video.
At level 100, Magikarp has a total attack of about 22-130. For a lvl 100 Pokemon that is abysmal. In addition, at Gen III, it can learn Splash, flail, and tackle. Assuming that he is using tackle (Unable to read the text) he would have an attack total 165, again, abysmal for a level 100 pokemon.
Not to mention the fact that A: Magikarp at level one hundred would need an approximate 1,500,000 experience points. Even for a simple joke, the standard man would not spend that long to get him to level one hundred. In addition, assuming no EV training has taken place, he would be unable to beat Bruno, as Hitmonlee has a faster speed total than Magikarp. Also, think about it: We never see the stats, we don't see him getting the Magikarp, and half the pokemon it attacked would still be able to fight.
Thus, hakz!

Raggedstar:
It might not be enshrined in the Pokemon League HOF, but how about a Magikarp taking down the gods of time, space, and creation?

Of course it's a WiFi battle and the Magikarp needed some set-up, but that's pretty damn impressive too.

You know it is embarrassing when a Magikarp manages to not only destroy it's creator, but also makes the God of Time, the God of Shadows, and the God of Space his b*tch. XD

OT: ...suddenly I wanna go an catch a Magikarp.

The truly tried and tested method of making someone good at physical compatition.

DRUGS LOTS AND LOTS OF DRUGS!!!!

saintdane05:

At level 100, Magikarp has a total attack of about 22-130. For a lvl 100 Pokemon that is abysmal. In addition, at Gen III, it can learn Splash, flail, and tackle. Assuming that he is using tackle (Unable to read the text) he would have an attack total 165, again, abysmal for a level 100 pokemon.
Not to mention the fact that A: Magikarp at level one hundred would need an approximate 1,500,000 experience points. Even for a simple joke, the standard man would not spend that long to get him to level one hundred. In addition, assuming no EV training has taken place, he would be unable to beat Bruno, as Hitmonlee has a faster speed total than Magikarp. Also, think about it: We never see the stats, we don't see him getting the Magikarp, and half the pokemon it attacked would still be able to fight.
Thus, hakz!

...? He used Flail throughout the battle. He also beat most of them by stacking X items until Magikarp was strong enough to one hit the enemy team.

Also, you totally do see the stats. He pauses the video for a sec when he hits level 100, letting you see Magikarp's stat sheet.

I'm fairly certain he wasted a few turns using X-Specials. In Generation 3 they only boost Special Attack, and all of Magikarp's moves are physical and therefore only boosted by X-Attack. They have no effect on Special Defense.

Kopikatsu:

saintdane05:

Thus, hakz!

...? He used Flail throughout the battle. He also beat most of them by stacking X items until Magikarp was strong enough to one hit the enemy team.

Also, you totally do see the stats. He pauses the video for a sec when he hits level 100, letting you see Magikarp's stat sheet.

Okay, sorry. Couldn't really see that well.
This raises another problem: X-items are not available until the Celadon Department Store. Which is before the after battle shown.

Daystar Clarion:
There are worse things to be than Magikarp.

I don't know who this "Yamcha" is, but he sounds just like Raditz.

OT: I'll admit it was neat, buuuuuuuut I dunno, just didn't seem that impressive seeing as how the items were doing all the work. The trainer was just dumping entire bottles of Poke-Roids down Magikarp's throat.

This is cool but you should watch people speedrun the pokemon games, the record for Firered LeafGreen is 2:07 and is done using only squirtle, and his subsequent evolutions, to battle. If you never though of X-items as being good it will blow your mind.

saintdane05:

Kopikatsu:

saintdane05:

Thus, hakz!

Okay, sorry. Couldn't really see that well.
This raises another problem: X-items are not available until the Celadon Department Store. Which is before the after battle shown.

The first time he started using items (including the X items) is vs Koga.

Andy Shandy:

I got a really good laugh out of how "In Your Face!!!" that pic was. It was like a PowerThirst commercial for Magikarp.

The last image of Magikarp impacting the world like a giant meteor was priceless.

"SOLID GOLD MOTHERFUCKER!!!!"

It's a carp, not a goldfish, it's in the name. Goldeen is the goldfish.

This really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Magikarp is best Pokeman after all.

RJ 17:

Daystar Clarion:

Broadly, Yamcha is to Dragonball Z what Magikarp is to Pokémon.

...... wait, someone basically made a Mr. Fish playthrough on Pokemon?

great, now we are going to have dozens of Magikarp only, no items, FINAL DESTINATION LP's.

Here I was thinking I was so cool for beating the elite four with just Reshiram, I need to re-evaluate my life I guess.

That magikarp was so drugged up by the end with x-defends and full restores that it probably had no idea what was going on.

The Random One:

RJ 17:

Daystar Clarion:

I find that to be insulting to Magikarp, especially after this video that was posted. Plus the other Magikarp sweeps. XD

Kalezian:
...... wait, someone basically made a Mr. Fish playthrough on Pokemon?

great, now we are going to have dozens of Magikarp only, no items, FINAL DESTINATION LP's.

Hm...you've helped me decide my next Let's Play! Quickly time to get my Magikarp from my Sapphire and load it into my Pokemon Colosseum! Tonight, we destroy Mt. Battle! XD

The Random One:

RJ 17:

Daystar Clarion:

That's insulting to Magikarp. Yamcha is more like Luvdisc.

Epic. I can't really say more bar that i'll never do that myself it looks a long and painful raod. But respect to those madmen that do.

What a complete and utter waste of time. I can't understand why anyone would go through so much trouble just to do this.

NearLifeExperience:
What a complete and utter waste of time. I can't understand why anyone would go through so much trouble just to do this.

I think it's more to show how unbalanced the items in Pokemon are when you really get down to it... (and also to show how badass Magikarp is... but, that's already a given...)

OT: That's right, trainers... Any Pokemon can make it in the big leagues... If Magikarp was a Hypnotoad, then you will all bow before its power! *splashes*

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here