Shadowrun Returns With a Launch Trailer

Shadowrun Returns With a Launch Trailer

Shadowrun Returns, an isometric RPG set in a dark future of technology and magic, is just one week away - but the launch trailer is here now.

A little more than a year after striking it big on Kickstarter, Shadowrun Returns is just about ready for launch. And you know what that means: launch trailer! Today's teaser doesn't say much about how the game is played, but it does at least offer some evidence that the studio has actually made a game and didn't just blow all that Kickstarter cash on cheap ale and loose women.

And, all kidding aside, it looks not too bad; decidedly old-school (although I don't think that should come as any surprise), detailed, tactical and conversational. I'm very much looking forward to reviews of this one, because as far as I know it's the first major Kickstarter game project to actually come to fruition, which not only gives it a certain prestige but could also contribute to heightened levels of anxiety among backers of other projects if it doesn't fly. Here's hoping it flies very high indeed.

Shadowrun Returns arrives on Steam on July 25.

I see what you did there.

Man I really can't fucking wait, it's been sometime since I've played a (good) rpg. Let's just hope it does not suck.

Hooray! This will be the first game released that I funded on Kickstarter. Hopefully I am done with SMT IV by then >.>

I'm really tempted to drop $20 on it sight unseen. But the pre-order shenanigans of recent years prevents me from doing so.

Looking forward to a review here.

I was looking forward to this a month ago... but I'm still looking forward to it. I actually planned time off work >.<

So do only backers get the DRM free version? That fucking sucks.

For everyone interested in the game there are already some "lets plays" of fan made maps on youtube from people who got early access to an alpha-build and the editor. While only from an alpha-build, they give a good impression of how the game actually plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBpDvwf0mP4

Genocidicles:

Microsoft doesn't allow them to distribute it DRM free to people who didn't fund the kickstarter. And even the higher pledge levels which receive subsequent DLC have the content tied to DRM like Steam.

Akalabeth:

Genocidicles:

Microsoft doesn't allow them to distribute it DRM free to people who didn't fund the kickstarter. And even the higher pledge levels which receive subsequent DLC have the content tied to DRM like Steam.

What has Microsoft anything to do with it ? The DRM is due to licensing restriction on Shadowrun IP, but the game itself is self published.

I have been reading the old run of the shadowrun books in anticipation of this release.

Akalabeth:

Eh well. I'm sure there'll be an anti Steam crack sooner or later.

iniudan:

Akalabeth:

Genocidicles:

What has Microsoft anything to do with it ? The DRM is due to licensing restriction on Shadowrun IP, but the game itself is self published.

Because it's Microsoft that owns the rights to Shadowrun computer games.

Just waiting on my key. Hopefully I can get through enough of SMT IV to where I won't have to worry about being side-tracked by one or the other.

Akalabeth:

iniudan:

Akalabeth:

Sorry didn't know they still owned the right themselves, has their last use date back to 2007, so would have thought it to be expired by now.

Screw the reviews and the wider audience Shadowrun Returns is looking to be everything the backers wanted :D (which is the point of kickstarter, isn't it?)

Even if the initial campaign from hairbrained is not a complete success, after seeing some 'lets play' on youtube of the robust mission editor and fan made content from it will hopefully raise the bar and be amazing long after its launch.

Glad to see one of the games I've backed actually being a reality, hoping Project Eternity, Torment and Wasteland 2 actually exist as a polished playable thing sometime soon.

iniudan:

Akalabeth:

iniudan:

Sorry didn't know they still owned the right themselves, has their last use date back to 2007, so would have thought it to be expired by now.

Uh, I don't think ownership expires. Licenses do.
From what I understand, Activision made Mechwarrior 2-3 or whatnot then Microsoft picked up the rights and made 4 and a slew of other games ilke MechAssault and Crimson Skies or some such then Activision picked up Heavy Gear and tried to compete that way instead. But Shadowrun, like Battletech and Crimson Skies were all part of FASA Corporation and I believe Microsoft picked them all up together.

They don't have the rights to game, just the electronic rights (ie video games).

I'm not 100% sure on all this, but I believe it to be the case from talking on other forums.

Yes, it's a crying shame that such dynamic IP ended up in the hands of a company like Microsoft, but at least they seem to be amenable to licensing it out. They should just spin FASA Interactive off and let them have at it. Glad that Jordan Weisman finally got with the program there with Harebrained Schemes. That Smith & Tinker thing didn't work out so well.

As for Shadowrun Returns, I've got my Steam key entered in already. Looking forward to it!

ive waited 23 freaking years for this and its only a week away :D

you not only have the game you also have the same editor the team used themselves to construct the game so we can expect some seriously impressive user created campaigns

iniudan:

It isn't the first time Microsoft has fucked with FASA Corp's old properties, and it won't be the last.

Atmos Duality:

iniudan:

It isn't the first time Microsoft has fucked with FASA Corp's old properties, and it won't be the last.

If only they had fucked with MWO and MWT a bit along the way.

Its not like they could make those ones any worse than they are.

Desert Punk:

If only they had fucked with MWO and MWT a bit along the way.

Its not like they could make those ones any worse than they are.

Yeah...I can agree with that.

My favorite part was MS's handling of Mechwarrior:
"Microsoft Giveth, Microsoft Taketh Away" Mechwarrior 4: Mercs.

Sure, offer it for free for a year and a half via fansites, but then immediately pull the rights out of the blue to try to artificially boost MWO.

(and before some smart ass goes "IT A BETA!" my problem was with their priorities. During my brief stint,about the only thing that seemed to work as advertised were the Microtransactions.)

About time we got an isometric RPG, been dying to play those.

I have a feeling that I'm going to have a blast with this one.

I'm glad to have had a tiny part in making this happen. I think it looks awesome, and I'm looking forward to getting my copy.

Andy Chalk:
[b]Shadowrun Returns, an isometric RPG set in a dark future of technology and magic, is just one week away

Again.

Seriously though, it's nice to see a developer wanting to release a finished game, rather than religiously sticking to a release date and releasing a buggy mess instead.

If only it were multiplayer capable.
That being said, I had my copy reserved when it first hit Steam. I only wish I had the cash to back it, as I'd have loved to get my hands on a DocWagon card..

I'd have spent the money on cheap women and loose ale.

Anyways, this looks exactly like I'd hoped. I've logged more than enough hours into Shadowrun on the SNES to know that I want this game. I mean, it looks a lot like it but with updated graphics. I look forward to this.

Valok:

He did something there? What did he do?

WhiteTigerShiro:

Valok:

He did something there? What did he do?

"Shadowrun Returns (Game title) + With a Launch Trailer (Actual News)" Got it ^^?

Fappy:
Hooray! This will be the first game released that I funded on Kickstarter.

Same here, super excited therefore.

And then I wait for the release of "Unwritten".

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here