Clementime Returning in Walking Dead Season Two

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Clementime Returning in Walking Dead Season Two

The Walking Dead Game 3

Telltale has revealed that Clementine will be back in Season Two along with Kenny whose fate "will be explored."

(Potential spoiler warnings!)

Telltale's The Walking Dead was one of 2012's more memorable story-centric releases. The success of its narrative hinged, in no small part, on the relationship between the protagonist Lee and Clementine, a young girl orphaned by the zombie apocalypse. As the game's episodic journey progressed the two became closer, establishing a adoptive father/daughter relationship that helped the climax of the story be one of the most emotional gaming moments in years. We won't spoil the ending, but suffice it to say that fates of some in the game were left up to players' imaginations.

Perhaps recognizing, however, that all the gamers with imagination are busy playing Minecraft, Telltale has decided to elaborate on what happened to some of our favorite characters following the end of Season One. During a recent panel at San Diego Comic-Con, Telltale representatives revealed that Clementine "will definitely be a part of" Season Two. Likewise, the fate of everyone's favorite frenemy Kenny "will be explored." Little else was offered in the way of details but a teaser image was shown of what looked like Clementine sitting next to a child in the rain.

Fans of The Walking Dead have been speculating for some time now as to whether or not Season Two would follow up directly on the events of Season One, or if it would instead focus on new characters with little relation to prior events. While the picture being painted still isn't all that clear, there are bound to be a lot of fans who will appreciate Clementine's return, even if it amounts to little more than a cameo.

Source: IGN

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait spoilers or whatever but wait up.

Kenny's dead. No ifs or whats. He's fucking dead. Both possibilities, surrounded by zombies, no way to escape dead.
If they bring him back I'm calling major bullshit on this.

hazabaza1:

Kenny's dead. No ifs or whats. He's fucking dead. Both possibilities, surrounded by zombies, no way to escape dead.

His return wouldn't be without precedent. There's a moment in the comics where you think one character (surrounded by zombies in a closed in area) is doomed and they make it out okay. Not to mention they never say exactly what state of living he'll return in.

I actually had a real problem with Clementime which left a lot of the story feeling rather hollow for me which I felt was a real shame. I couldn't even tell you what the issue was, I just didn't like her as a character.

But it's good there will be more of it.

I am kinda hoping the character we play as isn't going to be a new protector for Clementine. I mean, Clem being in it is great and all, but I reckon she should be independent, and a character who has learnt from her harsh experiences and is now ready to help out in a bigger way.

I really hope Kenny comes back. I didn't think he died, but his situation was grave, and if he gets out of that, he will be scarred by how close he came to death. Maybe he'll feel resentment for being abandoned by Lee, Omid and Christa? Who knows.

Well, it's not really a surprise that Clem will be returning, but it will be interesting to see what they do with Kenny. I had given him up as dead as well but given that we never see a body (zombified or otherwise) there's always a chance he could return.

Although seeing that they're just saying his fate "will be explored", that's something that's quite open to interpretation...

hazabaza1:

Anyway, it's good to see Clementine coming back, easily one of my favourite characters in recent memory.

...and then there was much rejoicing.

That Clem-in-a-field post credits scene was a bit of of a dick move in my opinion. Glad they're doing this.

Although obviously they shouldn't try and rehash the dynamic of the first season. But I'm confident that they're better than that.

Whilst it will be interesting to see how Kenny shows up I hope it's kind of a minor thing, I want Season 2 to be about new stuff and not just an extension of Season 1 (as weird as that sounds). I would have been suprised if Clem wasn't coming back. Maybe she will be the player character this time around?

Sounds good. I'm glad if it's only a cameo, since the whole first part was about her. There's no reason to focus on her again, especially when you've quite literally finished your duty to help her.

They're gonna have to touch up on Clementine, seeing as they ended the first season with that totally redundent epiloge bit that completely shifted the focus from the "actual" ending.

hazabaza1:

Well, you never actually see Kenny get killed, it's just hinted at.

Camera Angles and You, fucking up expectations since forever.

50$ says she has to kill Zombie Lee!

Though I will forever insist that if they had stopped to think for about 10 seconds they might have figured out that antibiotics was a better way to go than chopping off your arm.

StewShearer:

hazabaza1:

His return wouldn't be without precedent. There's a moment in the comics where you think one character (surrounded by zombies in a closed in area) is doomed and they make it out okay. Not to mention they never say exactly what state of living he'll return in.

Yeah, Tyreese. Even so, he was a big guy with a weapon whose whole gimmick was "shit with a gun and but wrecks with melee weapons". Kenny's just a guy.

Andy Shandy:

hazabaza1:

Anyway, it's good to see Clementine coming back, easily one of my favourite characters in recent memory.

True. Knowing this series, that'll probably what happens.

Daystar Clarion:

hazabaza1:

Well, you never actually see Kenny get killed, it's just hinted at.

Camera Angles and You, fucking up expectations since forever.

No.
Bad Daystar.
You do not justify bullshit writing like that. This is not a comic book. Well it kind of is but not really but... you know.
Bringing him back alive would be real dumb.

Why would they want to retcon Kenny back to life?

Was there a huge outcry from his fans or something?

I'm guessing you either find him dead or as a zombie.

I was half expecting them to do this, especially bringing back Clementine. The big question now is how much time will have passed?

Lieju:

He never died, in this kind of setting, never write someone off unless you physically see them turn/get shot in the head/get torn apart.

They had no reason to leave Kenny's death as ambiguous as it was unless they had always intended for him to live.

BanicRhys:

Lieju:

He never died, in this kind of setting, never write someone off unless you physically see them turn/get shot in the head/get torn apart.

Yeah, it was left unclear, but it was heavily implied he died. I thought it was kinda stupid, leaving the possibility for his return like that. (I'm not sure, though, can he have different fates depending on your path?)

Lieju:

BanicRhys:

Lieju:

Yeah, it was left unclear, but it was heavily implied he died. I thought it was kinda stupid, leaving the possibility for his return like that. (I'm not sure, though, can he have different fates depending on your path?)

Just these two ways.

In both scenes he just gets chased out of Lee's sight, you never hear him scream as he is torn apart, hear him shoot himself or see him get bitten. His is the only "death" that's left ambiguous.

hazabaza1:

Exactly. Spoiler Warning brought this up about him "not dying on screen" and then they immediately laughed and called that fucking stupid. I mean sure, he could return, as a zombie.
Edit: I hate the fact that Clem is returning. The Season One ending was perfect for her, minus the after credits scene.

I dunno if I like this. Clems story was over and I'd like to move on to a new story not continue the old one.

I loved this game, and really want to continue with Clem's story. She was a great character.

The only thing that pissed me off about the game was the whole issue with Carley and Lilly...

Kenny's death if you brought Ben along was one of the few examples of bad writing in the game. He stayed behind to shoot an already dead Ben, something that he had more than enough time to do while still being able to get away. All this after his speech about suicide and a child's life in the balance. It was pretty bad, so it'd be nice if they expanded upon it to make it less awful.

The other scenario was fine if cliche - heroically saving a pregnant woman that was very much alive. I kind of wish that was the only Kenny death scene.

I think I'd be a bit annoyed if he turns up alive in the second season but it isn't that big of a deal to me. This crap happens all the time in video games/comic books. Besides they are probably just talking about something like the cameo appearance in 400 days.

I do hope they continue the Clementine and the other survivors story though. No reason not to include them with the new characters from 400 days, especially when you consider the setting of the dlc.

Will be nice to see Clem, but screw Kenny every time I needed his help for something he failed, expect that 1 moment in chapter 1, rest of the time he was worthless.

Wait, it's possible for Kenny to survive? Everyone I know lost him. Not to mention Telltale said your season 1 choices carry across to season 2, how's that gonna work?

hazabaza1:

They'll probably either give him the Brie treatment

Or the Charles treatment

I like to think they wouldn't pull BS and bring him back to life randomly.

OT: and then no one was surprised.

hazabaza1:

I swear to God, if they pull a bullshit "no you never saw him die he's really alive" bullshit I will be so fucking mad. Like, I'd go out of my way to kill him again mad. They better just make him come back as a zombie/let you find his body.

hazabaza1:
Uhhhhhh snip

This isn't dumb like in a DBZ movie where cooler is BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE FROM THE FUCKING SUN.

This is something off-screen that is left up to the viewer's decision, kinda like the ending to inception.

Terminate421:

hazabaza1:
Uhhhhhh snip

This isn't dumb like in a DBZ movie where cooler is BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE FROM THE FUCKING SUN.

This is something off-screen that is left up to the viewer's decision, kinda like the ending to inception.

I agree with this.

In my playthrough Ben got killed before in Crawford

and the Kenny's "death" was really kept in the shadows (literally) you didn't even hear any screaming, shouting in pain - NOTHING like that. And even in the stats they never stated he DIED, i think it said that he was LOST, where with every other character that died, actually said that they died. Poor Doug. Lily was a bitch.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

hazabaza1:

....Eh.

I thought his fate was left deliberately ambiguous. I'm pretty sure he's the only character to "die" that you don't actually SEE die. Pretty much everyone else gets a chunk bitten off right before you eyes. Kenny just kind of disappears. There's not even the screams of horrifying pain that usually accompany a character death.(At least, that's what happened in my game. I'm not sure how it plays out in other scenarios)

Anyway, great news that Clem's coming back and all but....I think this article still inadvertently spoiled the ending. I mean, look at the information you're giving: The game centers around the relationship between Clementine and Lee. Something really sad happens at the end. Now Clementine is coming back for season 2. Not hard to piece together what's missing.

I think Clem will be a cameo like Glenn from ep.1.

We never saw Kenny die.

We saw Larry die. Carly, Doug, Ben, Duck, Katjaa, Chuck... we either witnessed them die or saw their bodies after death.

Not Kenny. If you don't think that was intentional on Telltale's part to leave Kenny's fate unconfirmed, you're ignoring a VERY common plot device.

Terminate421:

hazabaza1:
Uhhhhhh snip

It's also not Dragon Age 2's hack of a writer saying "Death is what I say it is, so deal with it", as his only defense for bringing Leliana back to life despite having ruined the only thing capable of doing it.

There is no "no if ands or buts kenny died!". That's an interpretation of what you saw, not everyone else. And like every other individual on here with some common sense, they never explicitly said Kenny's alive. They said his fate will be explored. Is he alive? Is he dead? Who knows.

It would of been same as cutting the last 5-10 minutes for the Walking Dead's 3rd season finale out, saving that for the beginning of the next season, and saying "We'll explore Andrea's fate next season".

V TheSystem V:
I am kinda hoping the character we play as isn't going to be a new protector for Clementine. I mean, Clem being in it is great and all, but I reckon she should be independent, and a character who has learnt from her harsh experiences and is now ready to help out in a bigger way.

I would prefer it if they do a "___ years later" after a recap or something and have Clementine be the new protagonist. I don't like the idea of her just getting passed around

over and over again.

My biggest concern is the choices. I HATED that for a game where the choices are supposed to matter that basically the same things happen and

Sure, you make a choice and one person dies instead of the other, but you end up in the same places doing basically the same things in every playthrough. I hope they at least TRY to make it look like the player's choices make an actual difference this time.

RaikuFA:
I think Clem will be a cameo like Glenn from ep.1.

Perhaps will get a cameo from yours truly:

Though I personally want a season about Vince, in 400 days, he was my favorite character despite the short mission.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here