Shadowrun Really Returns Today On Steam

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shadowrun Really Returns Today On Steam

Harebrained Schemes has managed to overcome the last hurdles, and so this venerable RPG gets the reboot you've been waiting for.

First there was the $1.8 million Kickstarter - and there was much rejoicing - then there were production delays, which didn't make anyone rejoice even a little. Now the moment has finally arrived, and Hairbrained Schemes can take a few moments to bask in the glory as its Shadowrun Returns finally launches, today, via Steam. Take your street samurai out of the shadows for a while; there's work to be done in the Sprawl.

The editor files are all packed in there, for your modification edification. "Everyone is empowered to create and share their own stories and campaigns with the Steam Workshop community," says the game's Steam page. "I want to take a moment to personally thank you again for all your support over the last year or so," says Jordan Weisman to the game's fans and Kickstarter funders. "It's been so great hearing from you on the forums, meeting you in person at cons, and eating the bagels and pizza you sent us. It's definitely an experience I'll never forget!" There's more to come; a Berlin campaign and Linux compatibility are on the cards, as soon as Harebrained can manage it.

"On behalf of the team, I sincerely hope you enjoy Shadowrun Returns," Weisman concludes. "It's been a labor of love and represents one of the greatest collaborations of my career. Thanks again for the opportunity." At time of writing, if you still want to get in on preorder savings, there's a few hours left before it unlocks; head over to Steam to find out more.

Am watching YouTube reviews now.

If it checks out, I'll be picking it up instead of going to the county fair this year.

Who needs deep-fried Twinkies and sunshine anyway?

So if I get this right, its basically Arcanum with cyperpunk? Color me highly interested. I always wanted a techno-fantasy RPG game to go with arcanum. Have to wait for reviews though, can't afford to be burned by blindly buying games.

EDIT: Hear its only 12 hours long and no manual saving through all the complaints on steam. Well that killed the mood considerably.

3 hours left to wait.... damn you time!

I'm rather excited!. I'm also glad they have a native OS X client for me to use. Pity I couldn't preload the data on Steam.

Ultratwinkie:

EDIT: Hear its only 12 hours long and no manual saving through all the complaints on steam. Well that killed the mood considerably.

I saw that too and I've been thinking about it:

The "12 hours long" only applies to the included mission. And that mission sounds to have high replayability. There will also likely be lots of user-created content via Steam Workshop. I'm considering recreating the original "Stuffer Shack" mission from the 1st ed rule book.

While being able to save whenever/wherever would be handy, it's the GM that ultimately decides the end of the game session and not the players. It's just this GM cannot be bribed with food or favors...

considering the editor is the same as the one the game makers themselves used you can expect a huge modding community

Ultratwinkie:
Hear its only 12 hours long and no manual saving through all the complaints on steam. Well that killed the mood considerably.

It isn't even out yet, how do they wanna know it's only 12 hours long?

The trailer didn't put much focus on the story or setting(apart from a short exposition and the classes). I'd hoped there'd be more dialogue and story shown, instead of the mechanics, which seem slightly lackluster.
Is there voicework at all?

Chaosritter:

Ultratwinkie:
Hear its only 12 hours long and no manual saving through all the complaints on steam. Well that killed the mood considerably.

It isn't even out yet, how do they wanna know it's only 12 hours long?

Reviews, leaks, pirates probably.
Still, this looks good. Not going to get it soon since the Steam Sales just ended but when I cleared out my backlog a bit more and the community has done what a community does I'll pick it up.

I'm really excited for this, I pre-ordered it last night while it was still 10% off, now I'm just waiting to be able to start the download.

I'm really looking forward to a month or two from now when the really good user created content distinguishes itself from the rest and we get a really good crop of campaigns to choose from. To me, the included campaign is incidental. I'm all about the editor.

Played Shadowrun on the Sega Genesis.

CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED RPG!!!!!

So glad when I heard this game was coming and being made by the man who made the franchise.

Smilomaniac:
The trailer didn't put much focus on the story or setting(apart from a short exposition and the classes). I'd hoped there'd be more dialogue and story shown, instead of the mechanics, which seem slightly lackluster.

No voicework. Lots of narrative and descriptive text. TB says there is definitely a focus on story and setting. He was actually surprised that it wasn't all combat, combat, combat.

I really like the premise and the mechanics, but the animations are right down there in the uncanny valley. Not weird enough to be attributed to style, not realistic enough to look good.

I might get it during a steam sale somewhere down the line.

AzrealMaximillion:
Played Shadowrun on the Sega Genesis.

CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED RPG!!!!!

So glad when I heard this game was coming and being made by the man who made the franchise.

I love the Genesis version of Shadowrun as much as anyone, but damn it's a fuckin' mess in a lot of places.

Still, it deserves praise for attempting the closest thing to a sandbox RPG possible in the 16 bit era. And I still play it every so often, so its problems don't bother me too much.

I'm really looking forward to what the modding community does with Shadowrun Returns. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing a reworking of the Genesis version, at least concept-wise. The included campaign sounds like it's a pretty linear design, and I read somewhere there won't really be opportunities for grinding out low-level runs for karma and nuyen. But given the kinds of things the modding community is capable of, I expect to see some really amazing things in the coming months.

Just bought it, I hope it's good, I bought the Deluxe cause I'm VERY interested in concept artwork and all, though I thought I'd receive those earlier (bought it on Steam), guess that'll also unlock later today only... If I have to go somewhere specific to find the extras, and you guys know where, please let me know ;)

OH guys, by the way, there's a cyberpunk game that's just amazing, it's an indie game and I just have to tell you guys to check it out. I heard about it here or at Gamespot, not sure, it's not on Steam for sale, but in the game's own website ( http://www.cabrerabrothers.com/ ) in case anyone's afraid it's a virus, just go to Google and look for the website, type Cypher Cabrera Brothers, you should find the website from there... However it's not a game for everyone, it's a text adventure game like the old ones, you'll read a couple of pages accompanied by some beautiful artwork and then TYPE your action (like Look outside, shoot police, jump ledge, etc)... So, for some people the game will be boring, but to others it'll be pretty cool or at least nostalgic. It also takes a lot from Blade Runner lol

Catface Meowmers:

I love the Genesis version of Shadowrun as much as anyone, but damn it's a fuckin' mess in a lot of places.

Still, it deserves praise for attempting the closest thing to a sandbox RPG possible in the 16 bit era. And I still play it every so often, so its problems don't bother me too much.

I'm really looking forward to what the modding community does with Shadowrun Returns. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing a reworking of the Genesis version, at least concept-wise. The included campaign sounds like it's a pretty linear design, and I read somewhere there won't really be opportunities for grinding out low-level runs for karma and nuyen. But given the kinds of things the modding community is capable of, I expect to see some really amazing things in the coming months.

I know someone is trying to remake the SNES Shadowrun using the level editor. It'll be interesting to see how many kinds of campaigns we get from this, though I expect a lot of people to remake their favorite modules from the pen and paper game.

Re: twelve hours long

Is 12 hours long for a 17 euro game not very reasonable? Usermade content aside, a dollar per hour doesn't sound too bad, right? what kind of metric do people use nowadays?

Saw some gameplay / reviews and it is apparently quite the well crafted RPG, but the lack of a save system and flavor voices does bug me considerably... I'll probably wait for some mods first.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for reminding me!
I pre-ordered this some time ago and forgot about it entirely. Installing now.

Just fired it up, RPG goodness awaits. My thanks also to my fibre Internet connection provider for downloading the game for me in the time it took to make a cup of coffee :-) Goosebumps from anticipation...this right now is my favourite part of gaming...those moments before beginning an anticipated RPG adventure for the first time. See you all later!

PH3NOmenon:
Re: twelve hours long

Is 12 hours long for a 17 euro game not very reasonable? Usermade content aside, a dollar per hour doesn't sound too bad, right? what kind of metric do people use nowadays?

I dunno, but $20 for 12 hours is a hell of a lot cheaper than going to the cinema or whatever, and cheaper than most AAA games now that I think about it.

Playing it now, and boy is it a breath of fresh air, I can tell you that!

But then again, I have never played CRPGs before, so it could objectively be "a stack of poo-poo pancakes".

But I am still having a ton of fun that I haven't had with an RPG for about 2 years, God, is it good to be back.

It seems pretty good so far. My primary issue with it is the saving issue. Mostly because I often get called away from my gaming sessions and I've had to redo the same sections several times.

Smilomaniac:

No voices in the whole game. It is all text driven. The writing is quite good though.

After spending the last five hours playing this I'd say they've done a damn fine job at making a single-player version of the tabletop rpg.

The art and writing is beautifully atmospheric (and let's face it Shadowrun lives and dies by it's atmosphere and setting) The system is fairly good from what I've seen of it (although there's pretty much zero tutorial outside a set of help files) combat makes sense and is understandable.

In conclusion: I played Shadowrun 20 years ago on the SNES, it was my first computer RPG and I loved it. This is every bit the successor the kickstarter claimed it would be.

To anyone who's got it, how is the Karma system?

The Eurogamer review made it sound like you have to be a goody-goody two shoes to get karma points, which you need for upgrades.

Genocidicles:
To anyone who's got it, how is the Karma system?

The Eurogamer review made it sound like you have to be a goody-goody two shoes to get karma points, which you need for upgrades.

Early in the game (mild spoilers) I saved a merchant, got karma for killing the damn guy mugging him. Then I had the option of extorting his money or telling him to keep it, no different in further karma either way. Just got points for killing the thugs.

To me it seems like an awesome system. Take from that what you will.

line of sight is a bit twitchy in combat, but im very impressed. dont go into it expecting an open world game, its very linear but as such the story is really tight and well written. they managed to bring the shadowrun PnP game to the computer :D i am more than pleased with the money i spent

i cant wait to start fiddling with the editor

Nikolaz72:
Early in the game (mild spoilers) I saved a merchant, got karma for killing the damn guy mugging him. Then I had the option of extorting his money or telling him to keep it, no different in further karma either way. Just got points for killing the thugs.

To me it seems like an awesome system. Take from that what you will.

Ah that sounds fine. The review made it sound like you only got karma points for giving blankets to the homeless and getting cats out of trees.

The save system is a bit of a deal breaker to me, it has check points, wouldn't be so bad if it were an every 20 mins kind of one, but you have to pass certain places for it o save, so you could lose an hours progress and that would frustrate me.

MinionJoe:

No voicework. Lots of narrative and descriptive text. TB says there is definitely a focus on story and setting. He was actually surprised that it wasn't all combat, combat, combat.

Clive Howlitzer:

No voices in the whole game. It is all text driven. The writing is quite good though.

Thank you.

Thanks MinionJoe, I checked out TotalBiscuits vid and it certainly perked my interest.
This might fill the gaping hole I've had since Fallout 2.

I'm a very happy Shaman atm. True there's no voiceovers, but that's something we got around the time FFX came out. It's got heart, it's got story, and it plays like X-com (which is a very cool thing). I bought it during Steam sale at the 10% markdown/pre-order. 12hrs is better than most games can manage nowadays, so I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. Hope to see some kewl mods soon. This could be like might see some wicked user generated work like on Neverwinter nights. And the more successful will undoubtedly see some official DLC.

put a few hours in already. It's low-key, high brow, and delicious.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here