Xbox One Accessories Feature Large Price Tags

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox One Accessories Feature Large Price Tags

Xbox One Controller (official)

A swath of Xbox One accessories has appeared on the Microsoft Store and to the surprise of none, the add-ons are universally expensive.

The Xbox One debuts this November with a price tag of $500. As many angry gamers have pointed out, this is a full $100 more expensive than Sony's PlayStation 4. In keeping with this trend, Microsoft has revealed pricing information for a number of its Xbox One peripherals, and they too feature relatively large price points.

There are currently only five Xbox One items on the Microsoft Store: A smattering of controller options, a headset and a one-year Xbox Live Gold subscription card. The card is priced at $60, which is relatively reasonable price for that item. That $60 price point however, is also attached to the Xbox One's standard controller.

Of course, you'll also have to factor in the cost of replacement batteries for that $60 controller, as it's not one of those convenient rechargeable devices. If you'd like to add a rechargeable battery pack to the controller, you have two options: Either buy the kit by itself for $25 and add it to your extant $60 controller, or save a bit of money and buy all of these items bundled together in a single $75 pack.

What if you'd like to converse with friends while playing online games, or (more likely) spend hours dropping every homophobic, racist slur you can think of at whichever jerk just shot you from the opposite side of the map? You'd need a headset, right? Microsoft has you covered on that front, assuming you're willing to fork over $25 for the thing.

Now that solid, monetary details are emerging on the Xbox One, what do you think? You hypothetically represent the average consumer, so your opinion is crucial here: Are these prices too high? Too low? Just right? Comments below.

Source: Microsoft Store

We're going to have to give Microsoft a new shovel at some point, the one they're using must be getting blunt by now.

To be quite honest with how peripherals and accessories have been going up each generation I'm actually surprised to see that the stuff for the Xbox One actually hasn't gone up or hasn't really increased much at all. Mainly because I remember when the PS3 controllers and the Xbox 360 controller prices were released way back then and it was outrageous. I kinda expected their new controllers to have a $70 or $75 base price tag without the accessories.
Although I thought the Xbox One controller could be recharged just like how the PS3, PS4, and Wii U Gamepad could?
If not then you'd think they'd learn that batteries for controllers is kinda obsolete since no one really use that anymore, the Wii controller being the only real exception.

But I've already BOUGHT all these things, for my PC. Just different models (Xbox 360 controller, high quality headset, wireless things, etc).

I'm very annoyed that I have to buy them again because Microsoft said so. So no, this does not entice me to buy the Xbox One.

Since when were these prices too expensive? Controllers have always been expensive, that's why the 3rd party market is so lucrative.

These prices seem reasonable to me tbh.

Then again, I look at this kind of thing from both sides, not with a vitriolic hatred of MS.

Is that high? I mean, it's a controller for the price of a new game. I don't actually play anything that isn't pc so I wouldn't know, can someone tell me how the 360 compares?

I thought the Kinect could be used as a microphone?

Also it looks like it'll be cheaper to build a gaming PC that get a Xbone.

I think their prices are absolutely perfect.

There's no way in hell I'd pay that much for a controller (even sans accessories), but the prices are spot on for dragging this train wreck out even longer.

Later, if Microsoft gets really desperate, maybe they could look at hiring Jose Garzon. I hear he's looking for a new job.

it almost looks like they misinterpreted the "pc gaming master race" meme and wanted to retailate with a "rich xbone hipster" meme.

because its just fucking stupid to not give people a rechargable wireless controller.
its just dumb to make them pay more for your stupidity.

lacktheknack:
But I've already BOUGHT all these things, for my PC. Just different models (Xbox 360 controller, high quality headset, wireless things, etc).

I'm very annoyed that I have to buy them again because Microsoft said so. So no, this does not entice me to buy the Xbox One.

Agreed, but then again I don't have peripherals or add-ons decide whether I buy a console or not. Mainly I buy 3rd party stuff anyways and they work fine. Heck I found my old Logitech gaming pad in a box that's got the layout of a PS2 controller with stronger shoulder buttons and a wider grip. ^.^

rhizhim:
it almost looks like they misinterpreted the "pc gaming master race" meme and wanted to retailate with a "rich xbone hipster" meme..

That's a thing!? You must show me this meme. XD

The better part of £50 for a controller?

No, oddly enough I don't feel like paying that Microsoft.

MinionJoe:

There's no way in hell I'd pay that much for a controller (even sans accessories), but the prices are spot on for dragging this train wreck out even longer.

The ps4 controllers cost 60$, are you as against that as much as you are Microsoft.

sid:
IS that high? I mean, it's a controller for the price of a new game. I don't actually play anything that isn't pc so I wouldn't know, can someone tell me how the 360 compares?

At the moment, going by Amazon prices of non-third party controllers, it's about $25 for a wiimote, $15 for the wii "classic" controller (the one that's basically a gamecube controller), $40 for the Wii U Pro Controller, $40 for a PS3 controller, and $60 for a Xbox 360 controller. If you go third party, anything but 360 is about $10-$15, 360 is $30. So, yes, Microsoft is overcharging a bit, but it's nothing new.

Oh, and $25 is perfectly normal for a low-end headset.

oggebogge91:

The ps4 controllers cost 60$, are you as against that as much as you are Microsoft.

Absolutely. I'm not purchasing a PS4 either for many of the same reasons I'm not purchasing an XB1.

But at least the PS4 controller comes with a built in battery that isn't a $25 add-on.

Why is everyone slamming Microsoft for things that aren't new at all? They charged $60 for controllers (wireless) last gen as well. No surprise if Sony does the same thing. Same with gold fees. Make fun of Microsoft's bad policies and their attempts to change them all you want, but this is just lazy journalism, taking run of the mill news and trying to turn it into "lol Microsoft sure is dumb, click me click me."

Yes, I clicked it, but because when reading "Large Price Tags" I was expecting to actually see something higher than normal.

oggebogge91:

MinionJoe:

Atleast its rechargable, and has several other features over the xbox controller, like it can also be used as a torch when you've lost your rizzla and too lazy to get up and turn on the light.

uh, these prices aren't that different than current gen prices and not that unreasonable. again, i call on the escapist to quit trolling the Xbone. I know i'm not the only who notices how they keep picking on it for every little thing, even things like this that aren't news worthy.

Er don't 360 controllers cost 60 dollars?

They are almost the same as this gen and I think the mic is even cheaper

josemlopes:
They are almost the same as this gen and I think the mic is even cheaper

The difference is that a 360 came with one as standard. The Xbox One requires one to be bought separately.

Well, while I wouldn't call those prices great, they aren't any different from last-gen so I can't be too annoyed at MS when 1. They could've potentially made it more expensive, just because and 2. Sony's will probably end up being along those same sort of prices.

Earnest Cavalli:
Of course, you'll also have to factor in the cost of replacement batteries for that $60 controller, as it's not one of those convenient rechargeable devices.

Alright Microsoft, you have to be fucking kidding me with that one. You're STILL using batteries on your controllers?

$60 is how much is costs to buy a DualShock 3 (and hopefully 4). A little much I think, but whatever. I don't know the price of the 360 controller. But how can you possibly justify that price point on a controller that has less features?

Microsoft confirmed for ultimate scumlords. (Not that we didn't already know.)

Maybe I'll get this console when I become a millionaire. Just so I'd have something to spend the money on.

It's 2013. $60 for a controller that isn't at least rechargeable is completely ridiculous.

Neronium:

rhizhim:
it almost looks like they misinterpreted the "pc gaming master race" meme and wanted to retailate with a "rich xbone hipster" meme..

That's a thing!? You must show me this meme. XD

not a thing per se, but why not start with it?

Akalabeth:
Er don't 360 controllers cost 60 dollars?

X-Box 360 Wireless Controller - Black
$49.99 new

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-wireless-controller-black/65032

Plug 'n Play kit with rechargeable battery pack is $19.99, but aftermarket batteries can be found for $10.

The headset price wasn't bad at all but a non rechargeable controller is an unforgiveable throwback. Charging $75 for a non crap controller is just a stupid move.

I don't see how this is bad... A newer 360 wireless controller (the one with the rotate-able D-pad) is $60, so the price there is no surprise. Xbox Live everyone already knew about, and isn't really a huge upset. The only thing that I think is slightly different is the headset. The standard headsets for 360 were cheap across the board. I'll happily pay an extra $5 for a headset if it's better quality for the Xbox One.

Would anyone be able to furnish numbers for the PS4's peripherals? Probably about the same, if I had to guess. Peripherals don't really shift in price much.

I get it. There's probably gotta be an article about the Xbox One every now and then, understandably. But this article comes across as kind of pointless and troll-ish at this point. Calling the Xbox's peripherals out saying they have a "Large price tag" seems like you're trying to start a flame war where there isn't one to be had, especially since the prices aren't really that different.

I'm actually suprised they don't cost more, it was inevitable that the peripherals were going to be overpriced so it's not like we should be suprised by this. Plus you (hopefully) get at least one controller in the box so things could have been worse. The cost of the headset is odd though, MS decided to force bundle the $100 Kinect but couldn't add in a $25 headset? Sorry, Monoaural auditory input configuration device-o-tron.

Hey I guess it's crazy to think luxury items would cost any sort of money, but then again these prices aren't too far off from current gen prices so not really too much reason for fuss.

Ed130:
I thought the Kinect could be used as a microphone?

Also it looks like it'll be cheaper to build a gaming PC that get a Xbone.

Exactly. The headset is only needed if you want a headset. Will the new controller have high quality micro switches for the buttins or just the same as the 360 one?

Xbox 360 controllers are already about sixty dollars. Are we just bashing Microsoft because it's "in" right now?

EDIT: They're down to forty now, but I swear they used to be more expensive. No doubt the One controllers will go down too.

The current generation prices are a disgrace and it's no surprise to find that nothing's changed. This is one of the reasons why I'm a PC gamer.

Edit: People saying that because they're priced the same that makes it O.K. are not considering that perhaps most people are poorer than they were seven years ago. The economy is not the same. It's no surprise to find such uninformed opinions though when most of the people commenting here probably don't pay for all this stuff. I bet it comes out of your parents' wallet, isn't that right kids? That made me chuckle too on the thread from a few weeks ago about how Sony are going to charge for online play. And people there expressed the view that they did not have a problem with it. Again, likely due to the fact that they don't have to worry about the cost. Mommy and Daddy will be covering it for you.

Another reason (for me) to stick with my gaming pc. Its a cheaper option for now (for me).

EDIT: I think the last gen had $50 controllers at launch. Its not THAT big of a jump, but it won't excite potential customers.

EDIT2: I got my pc xbox 360 controller for $25.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here