Splinter Cell: Blacklist Clip Offers 9 Minutes Of Spies Vs Mercs

Splinter Cell: Blacklist Clip Offers 9 Minutes Of Spies Vs Mercs

The fan-favorite "Spies Vs Mercs" multiplayer mode returns in Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and we've got nearly nine minutes of video exploring the title's online gameplay.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is the latest entry in the long-running Splinter Cell franchise, one of the many gaming series spun-off from the works of military thriller novelist Tom Clancy. As such, it features hardened soldiers doing the sorts of things that hardended soldiers do, but since Splinter Cell was initially conceived to compete with Metal Gear Solid, this Tom Clancy tale is heavy on the subterfuge and light on full-auto SAW fire.

This could make designing multiplayer for the title a chore, as it's just not possible to ape the sort of mass combat seen in Call of Duty. However, the Splinter Cell franchise has adapted by offering players the "Spies Vs Mercs" multiplayer gameplay mode in which two teams pit their sneaking skills against one another. Spies Vs Mercs is arguably the most beloved feature in the Splinter Cell series, and long-time fans will be happy to see it return in the upcoming Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

That clip you see embedded at top-right is just under nine minutes of footage detailing the Spies Vs Mercs gameplay mode as presented in Blacklist. It certainly looks shiny, and adds a few gameplay nuances to what we've come to expect from the mode, but overall it seems a pretty classic recreation of what fans enjoyed in earlier Splinter Cell titles.

Play the video, form an opinion, leave comments below. You know the drill.

Source: YouTube

Okay, I'm only a couple of minutes into the footage but... IS THAT MAP SET AT CERN?! Because, seriously, that big detector in the background looks like a part of ATLAS.

I may have to get the game just for that. Although Spies vs Mercs does sound, and look, awesome. This coming from someone who doesn't play much multiplayer... Now I just have to hope that it has local multiplayer that doesn't require an Xbox Gold subscription. Then again, this is Ubisoft...

EDIT: Okay, it's at 'arbitrary particle detector lab, based on real life locations'. Still pretty cool choice for a map though. I approve.

Meh, invisibility cloaks? Marked enemies? 4vs4? Its like they want everyone to "enjoy" this experience.

It can still be fun but it seems like a very light experience that no one will be bothered to comeback after a month.

Im waiting to be proven wrong, Ghost Recon Future Soldier had some craptastic things like the cloak but in the end it was actually more tactical demanding in multiplayer (and sometimes in single player) then the Advanced Warfighter series (still not on par of the originals due to a huge lack of open map design)

Invisibility cloak? Is that not a bit broken? Part of what made Spies Vs Mercs work so well in previous games was that the spies weren't broken. They had the superior agility and moveset, but they still had to stick to the shadows and avoid direct line of sight. Having something like an invisibility cloak just seems to me like it would completely throw the balance off.

Wasn't the invisibility cloak something that was in Chaos Theory Spies vs Mercs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya2klbeT-r4

Yup, it certainly was.

Earnest Cavalli:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is the latest entry in the long-running Splinter Cell franchise, one of the many gaming series spun-off from the works of military thriller novelist Tom Clancy.

Not even. The nature of it (and the other Tom Clancy endorsed games) is based on a more realistic take than that of something like Metal Gear but it wasn't spun off of anything. It was merely a smart business decision to keep using his name after Ubisoft bought Red Storm. The only one that is directly spun off was Rainbow Six. Ghost Recon still had Clancy's input as it was a Red Storm property. Splinter Cell was a totally new IP after Ubisoft had purchased Red Storm.

What happened to you, Splinter Cell? From an excellent stealth title to generic multiplayer shooter, it makes me want to cry.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here