New Doctor Who Announced

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

New Doctor Who Announced

After months of speculation, the next incarnation of everyone's favourite Time Lord has been unveiled.

Matt Smith, star of the BBC's Party Animals, has been announced as the next Doctor and will take over from the immensely popular David Tennent in 2010, after the completion of four hour long special episodes. Smith, the youngest person ever to play the Doctor, beat veteran actors like James Nesbitt and Sean Pertwee to the role and ended rumours that the next Doctor might be a woman.

Smith had this to say on his casting, "I'm flabbergasted. I haven't slept really! [Doctor Who] is an iconic part of our culture, and now I'm taking that on. It's nerve wracking. Exciting. Exciting. It's an iconic part of our culture, my grandad knows about it, my dad knows about it, it's been going since 1963 it has the iconic status of Robin Hood or Sherlock Holmes."

Steven Moffat, who takes over from Russell T. Davies as executive producer after the special episodes are concluded, was full of praise for the young actor. "The Doctor is a very special part, and it takes a very special actor to play him. You need to be old and young at the same time, a boffin and an action hero, a cheeky schoolboy and the wise old man of the universe. As soon as Matt walked through the door, and blew us away with a bold and brand new take on the Time Lord, we knew we had our man."

Source: BBC

Brilliant. A Doctor with Emo hair...

...I'll give him the bod until he actually appears as the doctor.

fix-the-spade:

Exactly what went through my head when I saw that picture.

Well, have never seeing this Matt Smith person in anything before, so will have to reserve judgement until he actually appears as the Doctor.

Indeed, they really will have to do something about the hair though... :O

lol "relatively unknown? get some silly hair so people can talk about that until they actually see you act!" props to his agent :D

xitel:

fix-the-spade:

Yeap, me too. I've never heard of him though, hopefully he will be good.

Oh goody. A metrosexual emo-haired doctor. Then again, in my mind no doctor could compare to the ninth.

The Doctor has faced the Daleks, the Cybermen, and Satan himself, but how will he fare against his newest enemy, being totally out of his depth?

sv93:

xitel:

fix-the-spade:

Yeap, me too. I've never heard of him though, hopefully he will be good.

Well, David Tennent got me into Doctor Who, so he'll have a hard time being better in my opinion.

Wow. He does not look like a Doctor. Then again, neither did that dude with the shaved head, so hey. I suppose they've already done enough "looks like a Doctor" Doctors, anyway. And if he didn't work, he wouldn't have gotten cast. One would hope.

Indigo_Dingo:
The Doctor has faced the Daleks, the Cybermen, and Satan himself, but how will he fare against his newest enemy, being totally out of his depth?

That was painfully set up, but somehow still very good.

He bears more than a slight resemblance to Dennis from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

You know what? I'm not going to say anything... because the new bond taught me, that even if they don't look like the old one, they can still KICK ASS at playing it...

I've seen some of the actors work and it was OK... but I'm going to reserve judgment, as this actor is relatively unknown just like Tennant was, and before Doctor Who I had the same opinion of Tennant as 'OK' and that turned out brilliantly.

what the fuck

Oh, so that's who he is!
I was on the train coming home when it was announced, there was some show about it.

He's not half bad looking, actaully. We'll just have to wait and see if his acting is as good. :)

Azeban:
Oh goody. A metrosexual emo-haired doctor. Then again, in my mind no doctor could compare to the ninth.

Chris Eccleston was my favourite too.

It's kind of odd that they'd pick someone pretty much unknown. I won't discount him until I see the next series though, even if he does look a little bit silly.

Boo. Bring out Dylan Moran.

Well seems they gave everyone a female Dr but without breaking canon. Seriously what the hell are they thinking? Seems this will be my last season of watching the good Doctor.

Indigo_Dingo:

The ultimate grog guzzling doctor ever!

Are you people really dismissing him because of his hair?

steve141761:
You know what? I'm not going to say anything... because the new bond taught me, that even if they don't look like the old one, they can still KICK ASS at playing it...

Likewise good sir, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm reserving judgment, as a lot of people are. I didn't know anything about David Tennant when he started (except he played the part of my uncle in a play no ones heard of, long story), or Chris Eccleston before him, and I know sod about this guy. We'll just have to wait and see until next year.

nilcypher:

My thoughts exactly. wtf?! Does good hair make you a good actor?!

Seriously, Matt Smith is a dead ringer for Glenn Howerton.

image image

nilcypher:

Yes. Yes we are. A person with such a douchy hairstyle could not play an eccentric character like the Doctor well.

dalek sec:

steve141761:

Likewise good sir, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Love the avatar man...

Indigo_Dingo:

If i saw that my life would be complete.

nilcypher:

Thank God hair can be fixed.

I would guess he must be quite good. The idea of a new take on the doctor is cool as well. I would guess that none of the people we would want to be the doctor would touch it with a barge pole, on account of other commitments or just the fact that it could screw their established career.

This bloke has no career at all as for this moment. So he will either go on to greater things from this, or disappear from trace after a season when the writers kill him off as hes unpopular.

nilcypher:

This is the internet. Intolerance didn't vanish, it just grew inside a generation of nerds.

nilcypher:

I agree, there are so many more valid reasons.

Hair dictates acting ability - look how shit Toby Maquires performance in Spider-Man 3 became when he changed his hairstyle.

Indigo_Dingo:

nilcypher:

Such as?

nilcypher:

Indigo_Dingo:

nilcypher:

Such as?

The fact that the look is totally incongrous with the Doctor. No matter what, the Doctor is wise, he is experienced, he is the smartest man in the room. He's a walking stack of Deus Ex Machinas, and thats why we love him.

This guy, is too young. If he says he's battled the Sea Devils, it doesn't mesh. He might be a fine actor, but getting someone like that for The Doctor is just wrong.

I'll still watch it, and probably love it. But this guy is wrong, and he needs to prove himself before I will stop saying the Doctor shoulkd be at least in his mid thirties.

So, while not his hair, it's still the way he looks that you object to?

nilcypher:
So, while not his hair, it's still the way he looks that you object to?

In the same way that I'd object to being given fashion advice from Elton John, yes. In the same way I'd object to the character of Kratos being redesigned to look like a starving Ethiopian, yes.

wow, a doctor that looks like he is on drugs...

steve141761:

Love the avatar man...

Thanks, think I got it off the Doctor Who page at the BBC.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here