Shadowrun Returns DLC Berlin Coming This Fall

Shadowrun Returns DLC Berlin Coming This Fall

Shadowrun Returns Berlin screen

The Shadowrun Returns DLC campaign Berlin, which will be free to Kickstarter backers, is expected to be out in late October.

Shadowrun Returns is out and doing pretty well for itself, but work is still ongoing at Harebrained Schemes. In its latest update, the studio talked a bit about what it's been up to "after taking a deep breath," including squashing bugs and addressing balance and support issues. Work on the Linux version has also begun, although it's still in a very rough state, and the studio is "actively pursuing" localizations as well. If all goes as planned, Spanish, Italian, German and French versions of the game will be available by early October.

Speaking of October, that's also the month that the first DLC campaign, Berlin, is expected to hit the streets. "Development of Berlin art is already underway, and our design team is also starting to prototype gameplay and mission ideas for the Berlin campaign," Harebrained stated. "We're targeting late October for the release of Berlin."

As confirmed back in April, Berlin will be free to Kickstarter backers and anyone who preordered the collector's edition; everyone else will have to pay for it, although no price was mentioned.

Harebrained also said that work on the iOS and Android tablet versions of the game is ongoing and should be wrapped up within a couple of weeks. It's not committing to a release target just yet, however, because it's not known how long it will take to get through Apple's certification process.

Source: Harebrained Schemes

Hopefully the price isn't too high considering the game itself is only $20, but I'm loving the initial relrease enough that I'll probably buy the DLC day one anyway.

They might earn some goodwill if they released it for free, I'm not saying it should be but considering they got more than double what they asked for in the kickstarter it should be 5 at the most. That and it would be nice if the patches weren't making more problems than they were fixing.

I wonder if we'll be able to carry across our characters from the main campaign, be awesome to keep building upon my character.

I wonder if people could just remake the DLC campaigns using the editor. And I wonder how the creators would react to that.

DLC so soon? Sounds like cut content to me. Ah well, this game doesn't appeal to me anyway.

Anti-American Eagle:
They might earn some goodwill if they released it for free, I'm not saying it should be but considering they got more than double what they asked for in the kickstarter it should be 5 at the most. That and it would be nice if the patches weren't making more problems than they were fixing.

It's free for backers as far as I remember.

OT: They actually hint at this campaign in Dead Man's Switch (which I finished last night). I'm excited to see what comes of the DLC, but I hope they focus the bulk of their efforts on bug fixes and feature enhancements for the time being. The game's got its fair share of bugs >.>

Fappy:

Anti-American Eagle:

It's free for backers as far as I remember.

You guys talk about this like it's not directly stated to be so right in the headline...:P

I really need to get this game eventually...looks like fun.

I'd be willing to pay $20 for this. The content and resources alone are worth $20 to me. The SRR engine that uses that content is like a loss-leader, ie the free razor to get people to buy refills. And I'm totally cool with that.

mad825:
DLC so soon? Sounds like cut content to me. Ah well, this game doesn't appeal to me anyway.

technically it was a kickstarter stretch goal of a second city that they decide to release later rather than delaying the primary game any further

MinionJoe:
I'd be willing to pay $20 for this. The content and resources alone are worth $20 to me. The SRR engine that uses that content is like a loss-leader, ie the free razor to get people to buy refills. And I'm totally cool with that.

I'll pay 10€, no questions asked, 20€ if they can promise a large (full game length) story with some decent replay value.

I'm still waiting for them to release the Linux version.

mad825:
DLC so soon? Sounds like cut content to me.

It's an entirely different campaign with its own story and environments (in Berlin, rather than the original campaign's Seattle), which was added as a stretch goal during the Kickstarter.

So, no, it's not cut content.

hazabaza1:
I wonder if people could just remake the DLC campaigns using the editor. And I wonder how the creators would react to that.

Possibly it would be just a low quality version of it. If the have to make new art for Berlin then there is a chance that the editor doesn't have those assets with it. I haven't played it myself, but wasn't the main draw of the editor being it was essentially what the developer used to make the campaign?

It could be possible that fan versions of Berlin start popping up, but they might have to use art assets already available if they dont have the DLC.

If they do, then I could picture people wanting to play that DLC requiring it so the assets would be available.

Oh, yeah, I backed this. Should probably get around to downloading it one of these days.

Meh, eventually.

JediMB:

mad825:

It's an entirely different campaign with its own story and environments (in Berlin, rather than the original campaign's Seattle)

Not really convincing and it's more of an assertion than I made. What really gets under my skin is that the DLC was publicly funded and paid. I understand selling the main game at a price but they won't be covering any expenses for selling the DLC at a price, it's just a way to get MOAR money.

mad825:

JediMB:

mad825:

It's an entirely different campaign with its own story and environments (in Berlin, rather than the original campaign's Seattle)

Not really convincing and it's more of an assertion than I made. What really gets under my skin is that the DLC was publicly funded and paid. I understand selling the main game at a price but they won't be covering any expenses for selling the DLC at a price, it's just a way to get MOAR money.

So you're saying that people who didn't back the game during its crowdfunding process should get an extra campaign for free? Just because? Despite that it is basically a reward for the people who funded the game, who actually got to decide where said campaign would take place to begin with? And despite that, besides the writing, the entire extra campaign is being developed after the main game was released?

It's not like they're Valve, who can afford to give away additional content for free. They're a tiny indie studio who just released their first PC game, and only have two smartphone games on the side to make money from. They need that money if they're going to stay in business to keep on making Shadowrun Returns campaigns, if nothing else.

Berlin? Oh boy, we'll finally be able to play the big guys game with the dragons!
Wait a minute...

Anti-American Eagle:

Why you should get it for free when people like myself RISKED our cash on the kickstarter?

Akalabeth:
Why you should get it for free when people like myself RISKED our cash on the kickstarter?

You assume I didn't risk my cash on the kickstarter.
And my point was that it would earn them goodwill if they did, considering the situation with the patches and the linearity of dead mans switch.

mad825:

JediMB:

mad825:

Not sure if serious...

You know...companies exist to MAKE MONEY right? When they make more money, they can make more games we can enjoy playing...

And yes, the DLC was publicly funded and paid for, and you know what? THE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC WHO FUNDED IT ARE GETTING IT FOR FREE!

The main game was "publicly funded and paid" as well through kickstarter, so you should be whining about them selling it for "MOAR money" as well if you had a real argument.

Fact is, people who didnt back the game gotta pay for the different parts of it that come out as time goes on. People dont get the benefits of being a backer when they didn't have the faith in the company to put their money down to begin with.

I know I wish I had backed the project when it was still crowd funding, buuut I didnt. But I bought the core game, and am loving it, and will buy this DLC when it is released, as the devs did an AMAZING job with the game and the feel of the world.

Anti-American Eagle:

Akalabeth:

You assume I didn't risk my cash on the kickstarter.
And my point was that it would earn them goodwill if they did, considering the situation with the patches and the linearity of dead mans switch.

The point still stands, why should people get it for free when backers risked their money? Giving away what is supposed to be free for backers exclusively does not generate good will. Rather it would be a big "Fuck you" to everyone.

mad825:

JediMB:

mad825:

If you wanted it for free you should have backed the kickstarter. You didn't, so you don't.

Berlin should be interesting; I heard it's supposed to be more like the Genesis, being more open-ended

Andy Chalk:

Harebrained also said that work on the iOS and Android tablet versions of the game is ongoing and should be wrapped up within a couple of weeks. It's not committing to a release target just yet, however, because it's not known how long it will take to get through Apple's certification process.

No one else noticed? This IS the Tablet game... Just look at the HUGE buttons that are in the corners... And the GIANT plus or minus buttons for gear. They basically emulated a tablet system for the PC/built the GUI for a tablet. But they are a mobile developer so no real surprise there. They are just waiting on Apple.... And it did not hurt the game any in my personal opinion.

Now that said..... SCREW WAITING ON APPLE PUT IT ON THE PLAY MARKET NOW!!! I NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO RUN FROM POCKET!!!! *checks play market* NOT THERE YET AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGG!!!!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here