Zynga and Rebellion Scheme With Evil Genius Online

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Zynga and Rebellion Scheme With Evil Genius Online

Evil Genius Online

The classic strategy title returns on Facebook and Zynga later this year.

Despite its flaws, 2004's Evil Genius remains a fondly remembered title. It took the whole Dungeon Keeper management simulator and painted it in 60's super-spy psychedelica. So what if I told you that it's returning later this year as Evil Genius Online ? Pretty cool, eh? No, it's not thanks to Kickstarter, it's Zynga! Wait, don't go!

The original game had players construct secret lairs filled with traps, torture chambers, and laboratories as they sent minions out to conduct evil on a global scale. Hosted on Facebook and Zynga.com, Evil Genius Online aims to stay true to the original and allow players to "form evil syndicates, send spies to rival lairs and share rare and crucial items in the form of bribes." If that sounds too much like every other "social" game, don't worry, because it's got the original game's sense of humor. Humor's cool, right?

"As an independent developer, it's crucial that we really explore free-to-play beyond mobile games," announced Rebellion CEO and creative director Jason Kingsley. "We challenged a small team here in our Oxford studio to create a social game that was not only compelling, but technically impressive and we just kept coming back to Evil Genius - the lair construction, the strategy, the humor - it was just a perfect fit."

Those interested in seeing for themselves just how Rebellion plans to pull this caper off can sign up for the closed beta here. Be fast, as Rebellion is only taking 500 applications!

Source: Polygon

I loved that game. To see it being violated by Zynga is just... wrong. Multiplayer feels like a natural expansion for this kind of game, but "Social games" just leave a bad taste in my mouth. They carry connotations of pay-to-win dynamics and stupid gimmicks to drag in new players. I can't help but feel like this is the direction we're going, because I honestly can't recall a Zynga game that didn't stick to the Farmville format, and there's no way I'm playing another of those. Even if it does have a paintjob in the style of one of my favorite older games.

Its a shame. Evil genius was a unique title. Nothing was like it. Now they are desecrating a grave of a worthy game that actually had closure. Remember a time when games actually had closure and not sequel baiting year after year? Turning a simple concept into a yearly franchise with more and more stagnation?

I knew evil genius was dead when rebellion got a hold of it. They are the company that unleashed Sniper Elite on the world.

I would have loved a modern remake with more mechanics, more intricate bases and such. Possibly reintroducing the stuff cut from the original game.

Still, the final task before the ending was kick ass and hilarious. I never seen a strategy game put that much tension into the moment of truth if you can take on thethe world and still survive.

"Social game" has become pretty much a derogatory term by now. Who thought that labelling it as such would be a good idea?

So it's literally clash of clans? Why must every zynga game be a response to another game

Nooooooooooooooooooo, Oh gods why!?

I loved Evil Genius, yeah it sucked in parts but it was really really awesome.

Why must the things I love be twisted so!

*Breaks down into sobbing mess*

I loved that game.

I am no going to spend the day depressed that the games corpse is being so defiled by Zynga.

I literally grimaced in dismay upon reading the headline.

I wanted another Evil Genius game, but not like this...not like this...

*cries*

I was hoping for a Evil Genius return for years, but... not like this!

Labelling it as a social game draws in investors, not players.

That's the thing with zynga games. If you talk with someone about zynga games, they're far more likely to recommend that you don't play. But zynga games don't spread by positive word of mouth, they spread by bribing players with in-game advantages to getiing and keeping your friends playing.

It's impossible that pairing with zynga will create an enjoyable experience.
But I don't mind too much. Evil genius was great and I recently repurchased it on gog.com

So I can play it anytime I want.

Maybe next time I play I'll build one of these money-making supertraps

That's too bad. I really liked Evil Genius, and to see it fall into the hands of Zynga is depressing.

I guess we can kiss any chances of a real sequel goodbye, then.

So Zynga are making a Zynga simulator? How fitting.

No! Why would they do this? It's sad to see such potential turned into a Zynga social game :/

The odd thing is that I think its association with Zynga is what's killing it here. Sure, some of that stuff sounds kinda iffy, but Zynga actually hosts some non-farmville-esque games from other companies. Not many, but it's still a popular portal for a certain audience. That said, once you're outside that (rapidly shrinking) audience, it's pretty much poison.

Well. There goes the hope for a proper Evil Genius 2...

i'm not one for overt meme use but...

/\ my face at this news

What is the problem here? Evil Genius still works fine and is even on steam and everything.
The old game is not dead and still a lot of fun :-)

I will shove this news into the drawer of things that were never created (Along with Plants VS Zombies 2 and Sim City 5)

I NEVER WANTED THIS! D:

Sometimes, the gaming world is just cruel. This is one of those days.

LosButcher:
What is the problem here? Evil Genius still works fine and is even on steam and everything.
The old game is not dead and still a lot of fun :-)

I will shove this news into the drawer of things that were never created (Along with Plants VS Zombies 2 and Sim City 5)

Yup, don't know about other international markets but it's £6.99 (approx. $10.85) in the UK on Steam, or $9.99 on GOG for a DRM-free version bundled with some extras.

hazabaza1:
So Zynga are making a Zynga simulator? How fitting.

Actually no, the title is Evil Genius remember?

This has actually just put me in a sad mood, I loved that game. Was hoping for a sequel (haven't been keeping up with who owned the IP)

Welp, time to give it a send off

*burns Evil Genius disk*

Side note: Do people actually still play social games? Not talking about casual games, Peggle and co have high player numbers and that's fine, but things like Farmville. Strikes me as a dying market ruled by a dying publisher, not sure why they'd want to put the IP into that.

Just release a sequel! It would be a day-one purchase for myself and absolutely thousands of other people.

I bought the game on GoG a while back. Fun for a while, then the invulnerable Secret Agents ran rampant on my little island. Stopped being fun then.

MasterOfHisOwnDomain:
Just release a sequel! It would be a day-one purchase for myself and absolutely thousands of other people.

Exactly. A day one purchase. However, why make a game that is only sold once, when you can make a game that the same player will buy over and over again? That's what the world has become :/

008Zulu:
I bought the game on GoG a while back. Fun for a while, then the invulnerable Secret Agents ran rampant on my little island. Stopped being fun then.

It was the first island huh? You can't beat them until the second island. Everyone except the very last super agent has a weakness but can only be exploited later in the game.

Only gain notoriety when you need to, not when you want to. If you draw too much attention to yourself before you solidify your hold and get your plans and defenses running on all cylinders, they will easily take you out.

Its worth to note that you should hold off until the second island before you piss off the world enough to send super agents beyond the bikini woman and Jet-Li.

Also:

- Stay below radar. Make sure you distract and send the normal agents back alive. That way over time they just stop coming. A missing agent on a "harmless" island is highly suspicious.

- Have at least 1 million or so before you go to the second island. 2-3 million is much better though, as you don't have the time to wait around for money to roll in when you are the most vulnerable. The totem item is the most useful here.

You are incredibly vulnerable in this game. The only way to win is to be a ghost. Which is hard at first because you have a big ass concrete entrance that everyone can see, and immediately drawn to.

By the way, try to get Biotanks and research a normal door with it. It gives you a door to cover the entrance, makes hiding so much easier. If you want the cut stuff, try to find the evil genius mod. Its the only one, only unlocks the cut stuff from the game and allows sentry guns in the main base.

You know what this makes me want to do? Makes me want to buy the game again on GOG. Seriously, this news makes me sad, but I want the creators of this game to know that there's one more fan of the old game. So if this ticks you off, head to Steam or GOG and go buy it... buy it again if you feel like it.

Wish I could find my disk version, but I dunno how well it would run on 7. Honestly the disk version wasn't the most stable game in the world anyway. But I'd still play it again, if just for the music alone.

No. Just no.

I have been waiting for years for something to happen with a new Evil Genius. Zynga? Facebook? cash grab cow clicker style?

No.

Yeah I join the CHoir on this one. Now don't get me wrong Evil Genius had many many flaws, that said, it was still quite fun. Building and arranging deathtraps in ways that would make Rube Goldberg proud and then leaving the door to your death maze unlocked was pone of the greatest pleasure in that game.

This news shows one thing about Zynga... they suck. For one while a Sequel would be good it's not the sort of game you can play online, much like Skyrim it's a game best enjoyed alone.. when you need to burn off stress with laughs.

Now who else is with me in moving Master of Orion's Tomb to a more secure location before Zynga defiles it?

God why!! Why won't Zynga just. Fucking. DIE??!?! Of all the games they could bastardize, they had to pick this one. I just...I think I might need to cry in the corner for a bit.

Evil genius wasn't the best game but it had some interesting ideas and the setup was fun, who doesn't want to be an Evil Genius. I'd hoped someone would pick this idea up and do a proper if only spiritual successor to the game but I doubt that will happen.

Also social games are the devil.

Evil Genius Online: Yes. Want... wait

Zynga: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Neverhoodian:
I literally grimaced in dismay upon reading the headline.

I wanted another Evil Genius game, but not like this...not like this...

LittleMikey:
*cries*

I was hoping for a Evil Genius return for years, but... not like this!

So i take it a monkeys paw was involved in this?

If only we could get a spiritual successor..... Wasn't their a flash game that was sort of like a successor for this game?
I think it was called "Mastermind: world conqueror"

Thank goodness I have my original Evil Genius CD buried somewhere in ye olde game closet. Zynga can never take that away from me. Breakdance-torture minions all day, every day!

Guess I will need good old http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ today. Good thing they can't take away my GOG copy.

Scorched_Cascade:
Welp, time to give it a send off

*burns Evil Genius disk*

You're my boy, Blue!

I guess this is Don 'Infinite Jackets' Mattrick's strategy, rather than shamelessly ripping off popular games they get popular developers to ruin their own games. I wonder if they will manage to convince Squeenix to make a FFVII social game. Given that they have already made All The Bravest it isn't too far fetched.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here