Snowden's Email Provider Vanishes, Vows To Fight For Constitution

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Snowden's Email Provider Vanishes, Vows To Fight For Constitution

"I would strongly recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States," says Lavabit's Ladar Levison.

When Edward Snowden of PRISM fame contacted human rights activists in July, he used a secure email from provider Lavabit to do so. Lavabit boasts asymmetric encryption, to protect user's data while it's on the Lavabit servers. Or at least, it did; Lavabit has shut down, its founder Ladar Levison claiming it was either close to or had already become "complicit in crimes against the American people." He says he daren't say more than that, under threat of legal sanction, and is preparing the paperwork "to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals."

Levison went on to advise against anyone trusting their data to a company with physical ties to the United States, and it would seem that at least one company has taken heed. Silent Circle, another secure email provider, has shut down its service voluntarily, claiming it has seen the writing on the wall. "Email is broken because govt can force us to turn over what we have," said CEO Michael Janke. Silent Circle is keeping its phone and text services active, since it doesn't store that data itself, but its secure email function is permanently offline. "We apologize for any inconvenience, and hope you understand that if we dithered, it could be more inconvenient," says company co-founder Jon Callas.

Snowden is currently in Russia, seeking asylum. This has caused a rift between Russia and the United States; President Obama recently cancelled a meeting with President Putin, citing the Snowden affair as one of the reasons why.

Source: Ars Technica

A government has every right to Subpoena the data with a proper warrant. Problem with these companies is they want keep the government out because the criminals make them a lot of money.

Get Em Up Against The Wall

Great. Lavabit was my email provider. I always thought it would be the right wingers that would turn the US into a fascist dictatorship. Silly old me eh?

Baldr:
A government has every right to Subpoena the data with a proper warrant. Problem with these companies is they want keep the government out because the criminals make them a lot of money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a warrant just a piece of paper signed by a judge?
Is there really any way to tell if the issuing of a warrant is justified?

OT: I just find it funny that the US government (Obama specifically) would have the gall to accuse Russia of a cold war mentality when they're pulling this shit.
They do, but pot and kettle much.

Lavabit meanwhile is begging for donations for their legal defense fund. Sounds more to me like they figure why provide a service that costs them money when they can claim "We're fighting for your freedoms!" and let the free money flow in. Because apparently "Defending the constitution is expensive!"

Smeatza:

Baldr:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a warrant just a piece of paper signed by a judge?

OT: I just find it funny that the US government (Obama specifically) would have the gall to accuse Russia of a cold war mentality when they're pulling this shit.

As far as I am aware, a judge won't just sign a warrant.

They have to present evidence to the judge, so that the judge feels that a warrant is justified, otherwise it isn't granted.

dumbseizure:

Smeatza:

Baldr:

They have to present evidence to the judge, so that the judge feels that a warrant is justified, otherwise it isn't granted.

Ahh, but there is a clause when it comes to "TERRORISM", where a judge doesn't have to sign a warrant if there is probable cause that a "TERRORIST" is about to do something and hurt the American people.

Granted, it's rarely used for what it's actually meant for, but it's still there.

dumbseizure:

But the judge will never have to justify his decision to any higher-ups? Or an independent body?

Snowden was using the email service to try and contact human rights groups. So according to the United States it is criminal to try and help a political refugee (recognised as one by the UN, no less) to try and communicate with legal human rights groups.

Absolutely outrageous. The current american regime does not give a fuck about moral principles; only about maintaining, and extending, its power and influence.

Reeve:
You might want to report on this too: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/08/in-wake-of-lavabit-shutdown-another-secure-e-mail-service-goes-offline/

They already did in this very same article.

Obama really isn't winning any friends lately, is he? There's this mudslinging fest with Russia, and then there was the Keystone Pipeline comments that pissed off Canada. Then again, trying to prevent a person from contacting human rights groups is also rather dickish.

Psychobabble:

Get Em Up Against The Wall

Great. Lavabit was my email provider. I always thought it would be the right wingers that would turn the US into a fascist dictatorship. Silly old me eh?

I don't really think there's much difference in either party, honestly. They bicker over welfare and what to waste our money on, but when it comes down to it, the politicians and decision makers aren't that different. They have power and they want more power. Sometimes it seems that gay rights, or wars, or whatever other issue is big at the time is only a diversion while they slowly take our freedom away.

Soviet Heavy:
and then there was the Keystone Pipeline comments that pissed off Canada

It pissed off quite a few people in the central United States too, but nobody really cares about us. It's almost hilarious, if it wasn't so frightening, how Obama ran against Bush and his unjust wars and the Patriot act, and seeing what he's up to now that he's in office, with drone assassinations, extrajudicial killing of US Citizens, undeclared wars, and unprecedented domestic spying / suppression of the 1st, 4th, and 5th amendment rights.

Are we safe discussing this on the Escapist?

Baldr:

Not really.

The problem is that under current US law the government has the right to all data without any warrants whatsoever.

I'd suggest heading to Ars Technica, the source of this article, they provide much more extensive reporting and information on many issues regarding Internet privacy, security and freedom.

Also interesting would be checking out the founders and leadership for Silent Circle.

https://silentcircle.com/web/founders-leadership/

These aren't shady figures and criminals. These are people that have invented many of the most basic security and privacy measures in use today, by common consumers and governments both. They've fought for free speech and an open Internet, providing the tools to make that possible.

Please, do some research before you start accusing people of being greedy assholes complicit in criminal activity.

Baldr:

Wrong, the problem is that the government as proven that it will get what it wants regardless of little old things like the 4th Amendment, all they have to do is say "terrorist" and thanks to the FISA court they'll get what they want with basically no oversight, and have the option to NDAA your ass away to a military prison somewhere if you resist.

Hagi:

Baldr:

Not really.

The problem is that under current US law the government has the right to all data without any warrants whatsoever.

I'd suggest heading to Ars Technica, the source of this article, they provide much more extensive reporting and information on many issues regarding Internet privacy, security and freedom.

Also interesting would be checking out the founders and leadership for Silent Circle.

https://silentcircle.com/web/founders-leadership/

These aren't shady figures and criminals. These are people that have invented many of the most basic security and privacy measures in use today, by common consumers and governments both. They've fought for free speech and an open Internet, providing the tools to make that possible.

Please, do some research before you start accusing people of being greedy assholes complicit in criminal activity.

Unfortunately, FISA warrants are legal warrants, despite the fact they violate all common sense as to what a warrant is actually intended to do.

OT: I'll be waiting to see where this goes. The US has stepped way out of line and they're going to kick off a full-on internet arms race between their data collection and people's data security if they're not careful...

shirkbot:
Unfortunately, FISA warrants are legal warrants, despite the fact they violate all common sense as to what a warrant is actually intended to do.

Right, sorry.

Still thinking of these silly things where you had to provide actual evidence upon which you based your suspicion against a single entity and only then could get access to the data concerning that specific entity only.

I should probably get on with the times.

It seems that it's now all about all data in which one of the parties is not American and containing a keyword that may possibly have some connection to terrorism.

So how is that war against Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia going?

OT: This is a bad sign is simply offering privacy is now considered a act against the people of the USA. Next up you will be a terrorist for having curtains covering your windows to stop the NSA having a peek. Land of the free, home of the brave and all that.

Hagi:

shirkbot:

Right, sorry.

Still thinking of these silly things where you had to provide actual evidence upon which you based your suspicion against a single entity and only then could get access to the data concerning that specific entity only.

I should probably get on with the times.

It seems that it's now all about all data in which one of the parties is not American and containing a keyword that may possibly have some connection to terrorism.

This is no grey area/line in this case. There is enough evidence to bring Snowden to trial for blatently commited a felony. This time the Government has proper warrants and evidence to back it up, and the company still refuses to comply with the Government.

Eh, while I am a privacy advocate, I don't think entrusting privacy to foreign held entities is better. I certainly wouldn't trust non-US countries to be any less likely to monitor stuff. Though if I were doing something illegal I guess that'd make sense because another government wouldn't pursue charges. As is, anyone reading my stuff is going to be bored out of their mind.

I never thought I'd get to watch a Jason Bourne movie in real life...

the leading actor needs more grizzle on his face though

dumbseizure:

A warrant can even be contested. That's one of the big issues with the FISA court to my understanding. They just toss out "nashunul secureteh!" and screw you.

Ah...so not exactly the land of the free any more. At least with the original NSA and GCHQ revelations I could just shrug and say I really didn't care if they monitored my communications, but if they will actively harass non-complicit providers then we're rather overstepping into some fascist territory.

And yeah. I didn't consider the spying all that bad. Like...at all. The average US or UK citizen has nothing to fear from their communications being monitored, because I doubt anybody really cares what you talk about at night. Although it really could have been handled with more subtlety - not everything requires an armed raid, America.

But y'know, watch my internet usage all you like, GCHQ. I really hope you like erotica and awful flirting, because that's my outgoing communication, and I'm sure it'll keep you and your ties entertained all night.

I'm just going to sit back and laugh while people's faith in the glorious ObamaChrist slowly crumbles. Nice to see my suspicion that he was never anything more than a typical politician with a keen ability to incite the masses using speeches was correct.

If Obama keeps going like he is, he's going to leave office as hated as Bush. It will be very interesting to see how the political world will look once the war for the White House starts again in 2015.

I have a feeling you are going to see a substantially revamped and far more moderate Republican party taking power and trying to repair the US's relationships with the international community while the Democrats will move into a more extreme state a la one like the Reps were touting during the last two elections.

Reeve:
Snowden was using the email service to try and contact human rights groups. So according to the United States it is criminal to try and help a political refugee (recognised as one by the UN, no less) to try and communicate with legal human rights groups.

Absolutely outrageous. The current american regime does not give a fuck about moral principles; only about maintaining, and extending, its power and influence.

According to the US he is a criminal guilty of treason and espionage.

Unless they have the records of what the sent emails said they have no way of knowing if more classified information was released or if he was just looking for help.

CriticalMiss:

OT: This is a bad sign is simply offering privacy is now considered a act against the people of the USA. Next up you will be a terrorist for having curtains covering your windows to stop the NSA having a peek. Land of the free, home of the brave and all that.

afraid to say, but you really don't have much of a case for privacy on the internet considering almost none of the equipment involved in the process are in your house. If they were pulling data directly from your computer that would be one thing, but it's not your equipment they're pulling from.

Greg White:

CriticalMiss:

afraid to say, but you really don't have much of a case for privacy on the internet considering almost none of the equipment involved in the process are in your house. If they were pulling data directly from your computer that would be one thing, but it's not your equipment they're pulling from.

So in your opinion private contracts are (aka privacy policies) can be invalidated at the whim of the government?

I'm getting the severe impression that the NSA is composed of nationalistic zealots that are, at this point, looking for anything that happens to be target-able just to create an illusion of self worth. I've got no clue why they are receiving funding or any kind of support from us given they clearly only have self interest in mind.

SexyGarfield:

Greg White:

CriticalMiss:

So in your opinion private contracts are (aka privacy policies) can be invalidated at the whim of the government?

Contractual law is trumped by criminal law.

Seems to me that our so called 'leaders' of the United States are just trolling about, trying to get us into another world war. Hey, here's an idea. How about instead of the U.N. we just form one planet, thereby giving everyone the rights as humans that they deserve, accepting everyone's religious beliefs, treating everyone as equals...

Instead we have this classicism infused money mongering country that can't tell it's arse from it's head; being that it is so far up there. The only time this country has been better off was when Bill was in office. Yeah, the man got a BJ under the oval office desk, but who cares? We impeached him for THAT?! It's like we hold the 'famous' people in a higher degree than we hold ourselves... As if they are better than us. We have become a paranoid state, thinking that everyone is out to get us. Snowden, whether he was right or wrong, is making matters worse.

You can't fuck with a paranoid person. Least of all a paranoid country. They're way too twitchy. One wrong word and it sets off their synapses that trigger a violent reaction.

Greg White:

SexyGarfield:

Greg White:

The problem is the government has essentially declared privacy illegal. Have you committed any crimes? Nope? Too bad, we are hoovering up all your data anyways.

If you had the equipment at your house then the same laws should apply regarding the collection of data.

SexyGarfield:

Greg White:

SexyGarfield:

The problem is the government has essentially declared privacy illegal. Have you committed any crimes? Nope? Too bad, we are hoovering up all your data anyways.

If you had the equipment at your house then the same laws should apply regarding the collection of data.

You do know the constitution doesn't give you the 'right to privacy,' right?

The closest thing it has is the right against unreasonable searches and seizures and the right against soldiers being quartered in your home, and something being for the sake of national security goes a long way towards being considered reasonable.

Jacco:
If Obama keeps going like he is, he's going to leave office as hated as Bush. It will be very interesting to see how the political world will look once the war for the White House starts again in 2015.

I have a feeling you are going to see a substantially revamped and far more moderate Republican party taking power and trying to repair the US's relationships with the international community while the Democrats will move into a more extreme state a la one like the Reps were touting during the last two elections.

conservatives revamped? is this actually happening? last i heard, the few remaining moderates were losing their seats and the extremists, if not already the majority of the party, were substantial enough that no real reform would have been possible since they'd spend the entire time fighting with each other instead of actually dealing with the situation

as much as i am put off by past conservative actions, i'm willing to support anybody who doesn't constantly and flagrantly pick the wrong side of human rights issues that we should have already dealt with regarding legislation

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.