League of Legends Player Petitions For End to Satanic Censorship

Pages 1 2 NEXT

League of Legends Player Petitions For End to Satanic Censorship

Riot Games is being asked to uncensor the word "Satan" in League of Legends so players can use it as freely as that of any other deity.

Did you know that League of Legends filters the word "Satan?" Not "God," not "Jesus," not "Allah," not "Zeus" (nor, one must assume, "Apollo") - but "Satan," for whatever reason, is The Name That Must Not Be Spoken. This is an unacceptable state of affairs in the eyes of Texas LoLer Beau Guthery, who has launched a petition calling on developer Riot Games to free the Infernal Overlord Lucifer Morningstar from his celestial bonds! Or, you know, uncensor the word.

"This game does not filter the word 'Jesus' or any other god's name from their game. They are blocking Satanists' right to freedom of religion by preventing them from using the name Satan," Guthery wrote in the prelude to the petition. "Everyone no matter their religion or belief deserves equal treatment. That is what America is founded on. Equal treatment no matter your race or belief system."

It's actually not all that outrageous a request when viewed through the lens of "equality for all," but why a petition? Guthery said the support team refuses to address the issue and his efforts on the forums did not end well.

"I did what riot support asked and I made a post about it and I was told to 'kill myself' and to 'burn in hell you atheist pig,' and then I was banned forever and the post was removed. While the people who said those things are not banned," he wrote. Despite that, he said he's not giving up on his quest; he's reached out to League of Legends support again and asked that someone higher up the food chain look into the ban and his original complaint.

The petition currently has 168 signatures out of a goal of 200, easily within reach of its target. Whether it represents enough of a slice of the player pie to get Riot's attention, however, is another matter entirely.

Source: Change.org

Am I the only person who plays with the filter off? I can say whatever I want, and I also see it!

What!? Really!?

... Or they could just, ya know, turn off the word filter. It's not like a Satanist is going to be offended by swearing, so I don't know how he even noticed this. Also I find his claims that he was told to "burn in hell you atheist pig" highly suspect. The League boards are not exactly known for their overwhelming religious majority. Overall this seems like something that is being done either as a prank or simply on principal.

Why uncensor the word?

Why for the glory of Satan of course!

No, but in all seriousness, they could just Lucifer instead. Its not the correct term, but almost everyone confuses the two already so anyone you're talking to would understand what you're going for.....that, and you can just turn off the in-game filter.

Who ever called the guy an "atheist pig" obviously doesn't know what an atheist truly is. Atheism is the belief in no gods or deities. Where as Satanism is the worship of Satan and the belief in him as a deity. If you're gonna hurl insults at someone get your facts straight and read your books kids.

Also yeah he should totally just turn off the word filter.

Either censor all religions and there fictional deities or none they should not single out any one religion.

Meh... they could just turn off the filter and call it a day.

Atary77:
Who ever called the guy an "atheist pig" obviously doesn't know what an atheist truly is. Atheism is the belief in no gods or deities. Where as Satanism is the worship of Satan and the belief in him as a deity. If you're gonna hurl insults at someone get your facts straight and read your books kids.

Presumably they thought he was an atheist troll.

I'm kinda surprised Satanists care what people think about them.

AVE GLORIOSA IN NOMINE SATANAS!

Seriously, this just screams "troll". And to be fair, it's kinda funny.

Edit: Also, if the LoL filter doesn't block "Xenu", it shouldn't block "Satan".

Regardless of whether or not he's trolling, his request is reasonable. If other deities and infernal entities are ok, then Satan shouldn't be an exception. As far as I know, people don't use this word as an insult in English.

Atary77:

Actually, Satanism doesn't worship Satan and usually refers to itself as an anti-religion and Satan is only used as a symbol.
Devil worshipers on the other hand believe in God and Satan and just happens to take the horned ones side.
It's two different things.

huh.... I didn't think anyone actually played with the filter on.

I don't play the game and I'm not a Satanist. However, the hypocrisy does annoy me enough that I've signed the petition.

Do they also filter the word "Devil"?

America founded on religious freedom? if you ascribe to the approved ones, yes. If you're not on that circle, beware.

I got Guns of Icarus today. I want to petition against thier naming policy because I cannot call an airship shaped like a testicle a testicle.

Because death by a manned, armed giant floaty testicle that looks as if it had been ripped from the body and given a mechanical paintjob is utterly, truly and unavoidably hilarious.

But no, they defy me.

This is petty. Calling yourself after Satan was old in the 90's.

Andy Chalk:
"This game does not filter the word 'Jesus' or any other god's name from their game. They are blocking Satanists' right to freedom of religion by preventing them from using the name Satan," Guthery wrote in the prelude to the petition. "Everyone no matter their religion or belief deserves equal treatment. That is what America is founded on. Equal treatment no matter your race or belief system."

Well, no matter your religion so long as it was their own. The primary reason the 13 colonies were separate to begin with was because they each followed a different sect of Christianity. Take old school Maryland for example:

"Sir George Calvert, whose title was Lord Baltimore, was a Roman Catholic nobleman. Finding the laws against the Roman Catholics in England severe, he resolved to emigrate to Virginia, in the hope of enjoying a liberty of conscience which was not permitted in England under the reign of James I. But he was disappointed, as the Virginians proved nearly as intolerant as those he had left; and he felt compelled to seek another asylum.

In 1633, Lord Baltimore appointed his brother, Leonard Calvert, governor of the province, who, with about two hundred planters, mostly Roman Catholics, left England near the close of this year, and arriving, in 1634, at the mouth of the river Potomac, purchased from the Indians Yoamaco, a considerable village, where they formed a settlement by the name of Saint Mary's." (http://www.celebrateboston.com/history/maryland.htm) ...And then promptly got angry when any non-Roman-Catholics entered the colony.

Rhode Island is the first colony to be closest to religious freedom, in that it was the Australia of America; anyone thrown out of a colony for not following the state religion was sent there to begrudgingly tolerate each others' views because they weren't allowed elsewhere. And that is why Rhode Island is viewed as the armpit of New England (also the lack of industry and size). Freedom of Religion FTW!

http://bfhmods.ucoz.com/the_more_you_know2.jpg

[/trollbait]

All religions are annoying, sensor them all. Separation of church and my entertainment.

Infernal Overlord Lucifer Morningstar

I can't help but wonder why he has a last name that sounds like a newspaper. Does he also go by Beelzebub Father of Lies Dailymail? Shaitan Lord of the Flies Newsoftheworld? Doombringer Slayer of Virgins Bigissue?

I also have to put on my cynic boots and say that I doubt 200 people signing a petition is going to raise up a storm at Riot. They're probably too busy making loads of money to care.

Atary77:

There are satanic cults, who worship the entity, and there is the LaVey's Church of Satan, dedicated to the acceptance of the carnal self.

Your facts called, and i told them to report the domestic abuse.

Papadam:

Atary77:

Actually, Satanism doesn't worship Satan and usually refers to itself as an anti-religion and Satan is only used as a symbol.
Devil worshipers on the other hand believe in God and Satan and just happens to take the horned ones side.
It's two different things.

There are two types of "official" Satanism; theistic and atheistic. Atheistic takes the stance that if there were something to deify it might as well be yourself, encouraging self gratification and stuff. Theistic is the one that fear-mongers love to point at. What makes this so interesting is that the split of active practitioners is about 95-99% atheistic/1-5% theistic, but people ignore that because it weakens the hate message.

Y'know, everyone seems to be mocking this guy, calling him a troll, and telling him to just turn off his chat filter, but (assuming he isn't a troll) his request is not really unreasonable. It doesn't make sense that a single entity of worship, however small the following, should be censored, while no others receive the same treatment.

As for 'he should just turn off his chat filter', sure, he could do that. But if this is a matter of principle for him (as seems to be the case), I can understand why that wouldn't be good enough.

Ok, I have to save this. Stupid Parody Religion "Satanism" claims Satan a deity. Clearly this idiot is too stupid to know is own religious beliefs. Satan isn't a deity is Satanism. He's a pointless mascot used to poke fun at Christians. When you deliberately poke fun at people expect them to get mad.

Also, Freedom of Religion, and Speech doesn't apply in this context. Example, if Rush Limbaugh says something that his Radio Carriers doesn't like they can censor him, or fire his gold platted microphone.

Furthermore, you can turn off the filter, but clearly the idiot doesn't understand his own religion, or his own rights, so I can't expect him to understand the basics of unchecking a simple box.

What about the true name of the King in Yellow? Is that censored? I feel that we should prioritise censorship of deities that might unleash cosmic horror upon the world if their names are uttered over those that might offend some backwards sect.

Yeah, no. This is a valid point regardless of whether he is a troll or not (I say not, since a troll wouldn't go to that much effort.)

Also to those claiming that Satan isn't a deity etc, please, stop assuming this guys religion. He doesn't state he is part of any sect of Satanism, so you cannot safely assume you have any idea which one he follows if any (it could just be personal belief.) Also, I think this is more that he can't name a character/account or whatever after it, so chat filtering wouldn't help you there.

To those pointing out offensiveness, people find Christianity offensive, you don't see that censored. Equality means equality for all, not just for the things you agree with.

Alright, sure. Remove dat censor.

Hail Satan~

So I assumed he couldn't name his account after Satan? That's what the article looked like to me, who plays with the chat filter on anyway?

I've seen much more offensive names. I once 100% refused to lose a game to a KhaZix named "mackyoloswag." How Satan is banned and that abomination isn't is beyond me.

Yeah it's kind of obvious, equality is equality after all. Not equality minus Satanists because lol fuck you.

Censoring the word Satan shows that the devs show preference to specific religions which is unacceptable. It sends the message that Satanism is not a valid form of religion - which is nonsense.

(By the way, The Church of Satan is aesthetic. They don't worship the biblical character of Satan. They use Satan as a metaphor for the human ego...I think.)

Imagine if they censored the word Mohammed. You'd be hearing about embassies getting attacked in no time...

CriticalMiss:

Infernal Overlord Lucifer Morningstar

I can't help but wonder why he has a last name that sounds like a newspaper. Does he also go by Beelzebub Father of Lies Dailymail? Shaitan Lord of the Flies Newsoftheworld? Doombringer Slayer of Virgins Bigissue?

I also have to put on my cynic boots and say that I doubt 200 people signing a petition is going to raise up a storm at Riot. They're probably too busy making loads of money to care.

I can imagine it now. A morning star with new printed on it. "Earlier today a man died of head trauma with the words "Royal baby" imprinted on it. Police are baffled.

That isa weird microcosm of LoL, it's attitudes towards and the maturity of it's players.

Tell someone to kill them self? Fine
Call them a pig and tell them to burn in hell? That's cool bro

Mention Beelzebub? THE AUTO FILTER SAYS IT IS RESTRICTED YOU ARE BANNED FOREVER, BEGONE FOUL CREATURE!

Nice, unpredictable and warped aggression, just like everything else in LoL.

Pfffft. I've played MMOs where "Jesus Christ" was censored. My heart bleeds for you.

That said, why censor the word? Is the name "Satan" inherently offensive?

Or else what? you'll boycott? Fine, fewer trolls.

WTF riot why would you censor Teemo?
Oh wait you guys meant Satan as in that guy from the bible...my bad.
In all seriousness it really is an odd situation, I'm curious if Riot really just flat out banned him from questioning the censorship of Satan or if there was another reason that just happened to coincide with his banning.

medv4380:
Ok, I have to save this. Stupid Parody Religion "Satanism" claims Satan a deity. Clearly this idiot is too stupid to know is own religious beliefs. Satan isn't a deity is Satanism. He's a pointless mascot used to poke fun at Christians. When you deliberately poke fun at people expect them to get mad.

Also, Freedom of Religion, and Speech doesn't apply in this context. Example, if Rush Limbaugh says something that his Radio Carriers doesn't like they can censor him, or fire his gold platted microphone.

Furthermore, you can turn off the filter, but clearly the idiot doesn't understand his own religion, or his own rights, so I can't expect him to understand the basics of unchecking a simple box.

That's what he is getting at.

Even with the filter on or off, other deity names are not censored, yet Satan is.

Yes, also, Satan is considered a deity, not to satanists of course since their primary view is of ones-self, but there are cults that do worship Satan.

Before we go off on "cults are not recognized religions, so they dont count", Scientology was given cult status in the EU, so why doesn't Xenu get filtered while Satan does.

But I think we need to go deeper, ban all religious figures from the game, and the name Santa, because it's spelling can be re-arranged to spell Satan.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here