Bioware Auctioning Personalized Mass Effect Phone Greeting

Bioware Auctioning Personalized Mass Effect Phone Greeting

Bioware Charity

Bioware is auctioning autographed Dragon Age and Mass Effect memorabilia for charity.

Whatever your feelings on the current state of affairs at Bioware, we're going to assume that you can still appreciate the social benefits of a charity drive. Hoping to aid in fundraising for Easter Seals, an organization that provides assistance for Canadian and American citizens with disabilities, Bioware recently announced that it would be putting together a team to participate in the Easter Seals Drop Zone event, wherein participants rappel down the side of a 28-story building dressed as superheroes.

In order to qualify for participation, Bioware is hoping to raise $14,000 before the event takes place on August 29th. To that end, the company has revealed that it will be holding a special auction event via eBay. Beginning on August 19th, Bioware will be selling off rare memorabilia including a limited edition Dragon Age lore book, a collector's edition Mass Effect art book and a variety of comic book and games, all signed by Bioware's development staff.

Perhaps the most exciting part of the auction for Mass Effect fans however, is a unique opportunity to get a custom voice mail message performed by Mark Meer, the voice of (male) Commander Shepard. While it's a bit disappointing that female fans won' t have Jennifer Hale's FemShep as an option, it's nonetheless neat to think of people calling you and being directed to a voice saying "I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite phone on the Citadel. Please leave a message after the beep."

Source: Bioware

If there's one with Garrus and the talk of calibrations I'm fucking sold.

No Jennifer Hale femshep option is a bit disappointing since she's one of my favorite voice actors :(

schrodinger:

No Jennifer Hale femshep option is a bit disappointing since she's one of my favorite voice actors :(

Not to mention her performance was much more subtle and intimidating than Meer's. Don't get me wrong, the guy did a good job and when I think of my Shepard that's the voice I hear. I just got to listen to Hale's a lot during my wife's dozen or so trilogy wide playthroughs and she was really excellent.

And I bet it will be really groovy cool.... right up until the ending, which will suck.

Eastern Seals? I know some people that work for that organization... and they've got a few interesting stories to tell. I should tell this to an ex-employee friend of mine, because I really want to see his reaction to this. He's an ex-employee for a reason, and he's also a big Mass Effect fan, so at least it'll be an interesting reaction.

"I'm Commander Shepard, and even this phone greeting's better than the ending of Mass Effect 3"

If there is going to be a voicemail message from Shepards voice actor it had best include the phrase "I should go" or it really isn't mass effect.

Must every time BioWare is mentioned in a news item there be some kind of disclaimer pointing out how uncool it is to like the company these days?

Nimcha:
Must every time BioWare is mentioned in a news item there be some kind of disclaimer pointing out how uncool it is to like the company these days?

It's efficient.

If they don't point it out, one of the first five comments will do it instead.

Zhukov:

Nimcha:

It's efficient.

If they don't point it out, one of the first five comments will do it instead.

Well, at least then I don't have to read it. :P

I'm a dude and I'd prefer Hale.

I'd want mine to say "I'm Commander Shepard, and I delete messages like this one on the way to REAL calls."
Garrus: "That's a little harsh, commander."

StewShearer:

schrodinger:

Not to mention her performance was much more subtle and intimidating than Meer's. Don't get me wrong, the guy did a good job and when I think of my Shepard that's the voice I hear. I just got to listen to Hale's a lot during my wife's dozen or so trilogy wide playthroughs and she was really excellent.

That's actually why I've got one MaleShep and like, 8 FemSheps, I just thought she did a better job at the role (especially in ME 3).

Though I will say, I love Meer's voice for a LOT of the Renegade conversation options. I don't know if this is a compliment or an insult, but he really nails that "Total Ass-Hat"/sarcastic voice as seen in those Renegade compilation videos we've all seen a dozen times. :3

StewShearer:
...While it's a bit disappointing that female fans won' t have Jennifer Hale's FemShep as an option...

Bollocks to the female fans, if she was an option they'd have to get behind me.

Ah the traditional pattern of ME fan comments.

"Favourite X on the Citedal!"
"FEMSHEP IS BETTER!"
"THE ENDING STILL SUCKS!"
"No it does not stop saying it!"
"BUT IT DOES SUCK!"
"CCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAALLLLLLLIIIIIIIBBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAATTTTTTTIIIIIIIIONNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSS!"

heh

The charity is called Easter Seals (like the holiday). Eastern Seals are pinnipeds who summer on Cape Cod.

tmande2nd:
Ah the traditional pattern of ME fan comments.

"CCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAALLLLLLLIIIIIIIBBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAATTTTTTTIIIIIIIIONNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSS!"

All it's going to take for me is one YouTube parody of Kool and the Gang's "Celebration" and have them call it Garrus and the Crew "Calibration", and I swear the level of retarded fan-love for Garrus will have extended beyond the levels of the hatred for ME3's ending AND Justin Bieber combined.

OT: Now, if only TeamFourStar could do this with their DBZ parodies, I'd totally want a Vegeta phone greeting. Or a Nappa greeting.

Boo.

FemShep is the only Shep.

^I too, never understood the love for Garrus. He seemed pretty wooden and flat as a character, to me.

evilneko:
Boo.

^I too, never understood the love for Garrus. He seemed pretty wooden and flat as a character, to me.

Cause he is sexy as fuck?

Garrus says:

Webb Myers:
The charity is called Easter Seals (like the holiday). Eastern Seals are pinnipeds who summer on Cape Cod.

Thanks much! I killed the extra "n".

I do wonder if someone will make him say "I'm Commander Shepard and I'm sorry about the ending of Mass Effect 3" you can't say it would be tempting more so if the message was from the development staff. Although I doubt someone would do that lol.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here