Dying Light Gameplay Debut Fights Zombies With Parkour

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dying Light Gameplay Debut Fights Zombies With Parkour

Dying Light's first gameplay video shows that you don't have to kill every zombie, as long as you can free-run better than they can.

First person platforming is notoriously hard to do well, but Mirror's Edge may have some serious competition soon in the form of Techland's Dying Light and its survival-driven free-running. The early cinematic trailer for Dying Light turned a few heads, but if you weren't interested before you should take a look at the new gameplay video to see the surprising appeal of parkour and zombie survival. Over the course of eleven minutes of gameplay, you'll get a rundown on life as a runner: nimbly moving around undead hordes in a constant race against time.

The zombies in Dying Light are easy to dispatch during daylight hours, but become much more dangerous at night. This lends a lot of weight to the passage of time: not only are you rushing to reach your objectives (in this case, air-dropped medical supplies) before other survivors beat you there, but every wasted moment brings you closer to the death sentence of being surrounded by super-zombies. Optional side objectives complicate things further, since you'll have to decide whether or not it's worth your increasingly valuable time.

Combat isn't the focus of the game, but the player is far from helpless. Seen in the video are a number of melee weapons ranging from baseball bats to an improvised electric blade. Most of the zombies go down easily, but one special zombie is seen (and promptly avoided) and other varieties of the undead come out to hunt at night.

Dying Light is still pre-alpha, but if this video is any indication then it's already nailing some very interesting mechanics. The game is scheduled to launch on PC, PS3, PS4, 360, and Xbox One sometime in 2014.

That looks like what Dead Island should've been. Really intense, the night section reminded me of that Lovecraft story, The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Definitely going to be looking at this come 2014.

Weird, five or six melee weapons and not a single firearm to be found. This seems to be the making of a very tense game. There seems to be some sort of quick-turn function to haul ass opposite of where you're facing. It was also strange how the sun finally went down at 9PM, although I'll take extended daylight in a zombie game any day. It'll probably be an accelerated day/night cycle I guess.

I'm pretty weary of interactive environments though, which tend to fall into a guessing game of "Jump here, jump there...OOOH sorry! You can't jump there, dummy!"

If this game turns out to be even half as cool as this video, I'll buy it for sure. Can you imagine how they'd pull off multiplayer for this?

That looks like a pretty cool game. Did anyone else find the zombie that was mid turn freaky as Hell?

Interesting concepts, sadly that's all it really is, just concepts. It happens with so many games, you can throw a bunch of ideas out there and get a really hype teaser in a small build but when it comes to fleshing it out into a full game the mechanic/scope ends up getting pulled in just because an insanely wide variety of mechanics only causes things to get overly complex and don't work well for a game. That said I really wish they didn't go with the Deadisland feel, I personally hated the first game and this game definitely looks like it has dead island bleeding through which just makes me want to stay away from it.

It seems like the guy got a few chunks taken out of him. I wonder if we have to deal with getting infected?

And I find it hard to believe this 'Jade' was able to send someone to that little girl, seeing how fast Night fell.

I don't know... despite in game footage something about this trailer strikes me as really, really scripted and for show. I get it is a display of concept sort of thing but still

Looks awesome. I haven't been impressed with any new game in a long while. Some of it is due to how much better than Dead Island it looks, and some is based upon how sweet the night time sequence would be if it were in a Siren game. Sightjacking and sneaking around with a character that had those movement skills would be interesting.

As it is, those red pings at night are kinda weird with no other explanation. I assume its a "just because" mechanic and not some kind of esp.

Looks pretty interesting. I must admit though I hate timed objectives and missions. It's one of the reasons why the Dead Rising games annoy me so much. With the night bringing what looks like super-zombies I think the best bet would be to get onto a really high building and wait for sunrise.

So Dead Island and Mirror's Edge had a baby... I like it!

Especially if you can sneak it up during the night like the end seems to suggest.

P.S: If anyone has bad memories of getting hyped and subsequently crushed with disappointment by Dead Island, consider that at least now they're showing us actual gameplay! This one might turn out good.

Holy shit, it's happened.

We've had three zombie-related news articles back-to-back.

Hurray for over-saturation!

While it looked pretty sweet, I got a major flashback of the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines-debacle. It really didn't feel like gameplay at all (and probably wasn't). Still, the actual game might be good.

And a bit off-topic, but you know what I've wanted for quite some time? A game with zombies where you can't get bit and there are no special zombies. Instead of fighting you'd have to sneak around the infected and distract them with sounds.

Trucken:
While it looked pretty sweet, I got a major flashback of the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines-debacle. It really didn't feel like gameplay at all (and probably wasn't). Still, the actual game might be good.

And a bit off-topic, but you know what I've wanted for quite some time? A game with zombies where you can't get bit and there are no special zombies. Instead of fighting you'd have to sneak around the infected and distract them with sounds.

Agreed. This is supposed to be Pre-alpha gameplay? Not buying it. At all.

Looks interesting, but then again the same people did Dead Island which was a far cry from its initial "concept" video (not even the famous trailer, they hyped it up to be a completely different game).

Color me cautiously intrigued, but overall sadly unimpressed. Techland has already disappointed me with a concept that looked and sounded good at first, but failed to truly deliver on said concept once, I'd like to not get disappointed again.

FizzyIzze:
Weird, five or six melee weapons and not a single firearm to be found.

except the dude giving you a fair warning with an assault rifle...

it will be like dead island where you find only melee weapons first and then fing more and more firearms.

Trucken:

they count concept of gameplay(what they are aiming for) as part of pre alpha.
which is reasonable.

Aliens: Colonial Marines presented its cgi fest as actual gameplay.
still, its techland so it is best adviced to be skeptic.
and yes, its skripted and rendered. you always spot them when they do a cinematic look around in the game.

Trucken:

that would be the last of us..

hazabaza1:
If the game is anywhere near as tense as that final night bit showed this could be genuinely terrifying.

you have witnessed how you jumped from a standing position over a zombified person that is probably 1.80m in height.

so the answer is most likely no.

Well, I'm gonna wait till I see at least 10minutes of someone playing an actual copy when it comes out. If it's at least close to what's in the trailer, I'll buy it. If not, I'll just consider it another Aliens Colonial Marines scenario.

Let's hope for the former.

The person playing seemed to know EXACTLY where they were going - so much so that the gameplay seemed scripted.

I'd be quite happy to bet that the game play is no where near that smooth when put in the hands of the player.

Also did the combat look a bit off to anyone else? Looked just like Dead Islands, which I hated. On the other hand the free running looked really fun - I hope it really is that good and I can climb where I want to climb without any stupidly imposed invisible walls or 'No you can't jump here, you must jump 5 centre metres to the left' sections.

I guess an updated Dead Island is better then the original, but that doesn't make it much more interesting then their starting point.
Also if this is survival-horror then so is flipping Fruit Ninja, at no point was there any semblance of danger, I'd say the only engaging part is finding your way through it all.

Hopefully the full game also keeps the screen clean and doesn't debilitate you with now industry standard eye scorching UI/prompts.

If the game is anywhere near as tense as that final night bit showed this could be genuinely terrifying.

Let's just hope it's better than Dead Island.

Looks fantastic...if they can actually follow this trailer up with a game which actually plays in the same way, it will be amazing.

rhizhim:

FizzyIzze:

it will be like dead island where you find only melee weapons first and then fing more and more firearms.

Trucken:

they count concept of gameplay(what they are aiming for) as part of pre alpha.
which is reasonable.

Aliens: Colonial Marines presented its cgi fest as actual gameplay.
still, its techland so it is best adviced to be skeptic.
and yes, its skripted and rendered. you always spot them when they do a cinematic look around in the game.

Trucken:

that would be the last of us..

Still has special infected. I mean I get what you mean but I think the OP meant like just zombies. None particularly stronger than any of the others and the goal is complete objectives and don't draw attention to yourself.

It looks interesting enough. It pretty much looks like they took Dead Island (same kind of environment, funky weapons and all of that stuff), and threw in some mirrors edge. I'm not complaining, First person Parkour is awesome. I'm interested, but it looks a bit derivative. I don't really understand why no one will make a zombie game in an actual city. Not the shantytowns represented as cities in this game. I would love to see a New York like city in a zombie game.

This looks awesome. Even for an apparently pre-alpha build.

I really hope I have the option to sit up on a roof somewhere and cry until it hits daytime again. I hope to god they don't have in-built human tracking senses. T_T

I always liked Mirror's Edge first person runny jumpy parkour so I never got all the people who said you need to see your feet to jump. Do you have to look down to jump in real life? 'S not hard.

Voice acting though. Pls. Pls no. Tell me it's just a placeholder until they get some better ones. Bad British accents are so, so tragic.

Not sure I like the first-person view.

Also, I'm sick of the whole protagonist being immune crap.
You get bitten, you die.

I'd love a semi-realistic zombie apocalypse survival simulator. Similar to State of Decay, but done way better.
I mean, it didn't even have real survivor conflict.

SOLD!!!

They basically made what I have been asking for ever since the first zombie shambled into their first game.

Open World Survival.

Though that little blunder in the house where he literally walked into a zombie nomming on his leg should have been game over. Immunity doesn't exist. Get careless and get bitten and you are dead.

hooblabla6262:
I mean, it didn't even have real survivor conflict.

How original Survivor Conflict, it's not like people could actually get along and not be colossal fucking idiots all the time right? Heck what is a zombie game without survivors being dicks to each other and leading to their own downfalls? It's almost like those games are in the minority.

The whole throwing-a-hammer-makes-a-drum explode, at 7:54, ruined my immersion. :\

rhizhim:

FizzyIzze:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Conceptually, I wonder if a developer would be able to make a fighting/survival game with no gun use by the player character. An FPS with no guns, melee-only if you will.

I can't imagine an 8-10 hour game where you don't get the use of firearms (see explanation: "The loud report of gunfire would only attract more zombies"). Then again, I wonder if that would get boring? Or would gun use be a cop out in this game if they build a complex, interactive environment?

I can only think of one other decent FPS type game with no guns, and that's Amnesia. Can anyone think of any more? Sure, there's stuff like Portal, but that's within a limited environment.

He... he threw a hammer at a barrel... and it blew up...
That's some pretty flammable shit.

Is my dream game getting made...HOLY SHIT!!! IT IS!!

What bothers me is that the control is obviously too smooth even for a gamepad. And why did that weird "injury vision" only work on that one female zombie at 8:35?

FizzyIzze:

Given the accents of the characters, I wouldn't be surprised if this game took place in Australia, a place where you'd be hard-pressed to find a legally-owned firearm outside of the police and military. Wherever it is, it's obviously not in the United States.

FizzyIzze:
snip

Well, there is Condemned. Instead of shooting peoples in this game you beat hobos and drug addicts, either with your fist or one of the many weapons you can find(pipes,4x4`s,lockerdoors,a paper cut blade etc). You can find some guns but there quite rare and they tend to have only four or five shots.
It´s basicly a hobo fight simulator and a pretty good horror game.

Ennghgghfhgh.

Zombie games need to just piss off already.

Yeah you read that right. I'm bored of them. Move on. Where's my world pandemic via The Ski Free Yetis game?

Huh, well what do you know. The first zombie game to interest me since Dead Rising. Hopefully I'll actually end up liking this one though.

Does anyone else recognise that English woman's voice? I'm sure I've heard her giving me orders in another video game too.

Also, who put that barrel of nitroglycerin there?

Anyway, I'll remain hopefully optimistic because this looks awesome!

The Rogue Wolf:
What bothers me is that the control is obviously too smooth even for a gamepad. And why did that weird "injury vision" only work on that one female zombie at 8:35?

FizzyIzze:

Given the accents of the characters, I wouldn't be surprised if this game took place in Australia, a place where you'd be hard-pressed to find a legally-owned firearm outside of the police and military. Wherever it is, it's obviously not in the United States.

1. Those are English accents!
2. Australia doesn't have slums.

I'm pretty sure the game is set in South America (judging by the armoured guy's accent).

The Plunk:
I'm pretty sure the game is set in South America (judging by the armoured guy's accent).

Almost all of the signs and posters are in English, though (and one that I saw seemed to be in German). Unless this is a former tourist town that saw a severe downturn- which I'll admit isn't beyond possibility- it doesn't seem likely.

I'm crap at identifying accents that aren't American, though,so I'll grant you that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.