Bayonetta Director Wants Spin-Off on 3DS

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bayonetta Director Wants Spin-Off on 3DS

Bayonetta 2

Hideki Kamiya wants to make new Bayonetta and Okami games for 3DS.

Fresh off of his gig working on Platinum Games The Wonderful 101, director Hideki Kamiya has offered some comments on his hopes for the future and how it could tie into Platinum's ongoing collaboration with Nintendo. When asked if he'd ever consider developing a game for 3DS, Kamiya had some ideas about properties he'd like to take portable.

"Given the chance, I'd like to make a game based on Jeanne from Bayonetta," said Kamiya. "Something that's not as big in scale. Something that's portable, that you could play in quick sessions, where she's a history teacher and the kind of fun things that could come out of a scenario like that." Outside of Platinum's stable of games, he also expressed interest in working on something for Capcom's Okami franchise. "I'd also like to come up with a spin-off of Okami, less focused on the grand idea of saving the world, but [rather] something focused on the smaller world of the fairy Issun."

Some might remember that Okami actually saw a portable sequel on the DS, Okamiden. That said, we'd definitely be up for another session with the franchise. Likewise, a portable Bayonetta is something we could see being both a blast to play and a boon for the 3DS, which arguably might benefit from a hardcore action game. Granted, there's no one saying Kamiya will actually get the opportunity to turn either of these ideas into actual games, but we can always hope.

Source: Siliconera

Is that her new hairstyle? I like it!

But for the love of god I SINCERELY hope we can get a Bayonetta sequel for PS4. Abandoning so many fans of such a fun+challenging game and not following-up with a sequel on a proper hardcore platform is just...not nice :(
Would love to see more development on our favorite hair-stripping witch.

Yuuki:

But for the love of god I SINCERELY hope we can get a Bayonetta sequel for PS4. Abandoning so many fans of such a fun+challenging game and not following-up with a sequel is just...not nice :(

Platinum didn't abandon anyone, nobody else but Nintendo wanted to fund the sequel, so if anything, everyone else abandoned them.

OT: The prospect of more Okami? Yes please :D

Yuuki:

But for the love of god I SINCERELY hope we can get a Bayonetta sequel for PS4. Abandoning so many fans of such a fun+challenging game and not following-up with a sequel on a proper hardcore platform is just...not nice :(

Oh here we fucking go.

matrix3509:

Yuuki:

Oh here we fucking go.

Did I say something bad :(

Yuuki:

matrix3509:

Yuuki:

Oh here we fucking go.

people get mad when you say Platinum abandoned fans. No one wanted to fund their game, so Nintendo said they would and made it exclusive.

OT: I'd love some action games on my 3DS, as fun as the ocean of strategy RPGs are variety is always good.

Yuuki:

matrix3509:

Yuuki:

Oh here we fucking go.

YOU ALWAYS SAY SOMETHING BAD! >:(

jk <3

But yea, as Daystar mentioned, Ninty funded the game, so they'll get dibs to keep it on their system. It'd be a long while and excellent profits before Platinum Games would probably consider a port to other consoles at this point in development....and even if Nintendo lets them.

And Kamiya, I love your stuff, but I want to save the world on my 3DS too! I don't mind a smaller game, but I might think indie for a title like that. Do developers really think that the 3DS is some mini-scale system to port small ideas on?

dementis:
people get mad when you say Platinum abandoned fans. No one wanted to fund their game, so Nintendo said they would and made it exclusive.

o_O
Ok I did some reading, it's insane how nobody wanted to fund a Bayonetta sequel (good reviews across the board, 1.3 million sales)...I mean Sony should've grabbed that opportunity and made a ton of money out of it as a PS4 promotion. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm happy that Platinum are getting to make their game, a sequel exclusive to Wii U is better than no sequel at all right? Except that as far as Bayonetta fans are concerned (i.e. serious gamers, i.e. people who don't own a goddamn Wii U and never will), there is no sequel. Bayonetta is very much a game for the hardcore crowd with it's spectacular visuals, insane length and steep difficulty curves. It has no business being on the Wii U.
It seems Platinum don't realize that 99.9% of people who were eagerly awaiting a Bayonetta sequel will NOT have a Wii U (and not want to BUY a freaking Wii U) due to already owning a Sony/MS console which serves them just fine for all their gaming needs. Almost all of them will be making a straight upgrade from PS3/360 to PS4/XBone...Wii U isn't even relevant to them! I'm one of those people! Platinum don't know their own target audience.

I mean think about how absurd it would be the next Infamous/Prototype sequel ended up being exclusive to Wii U due to lack of funding. Fans sitting there their Sony/MS consoles would be left with their jaws hanging open thinking "Ok...? How are we supposed to PLAY that?". More power to the developers for at least getting their game out and offering Wii U owners a good title, but they don't gain any points by steering in the opposite direction of their fanbase & target demographic.

The Wii U itself has had some pretty miserable sales and maybe Platinum will realize down the road that they didn't particularly achieve anything with this decision.

What probably happened:
Platinum: Nobody wants to fund Bayonetta 2 :(
Nintendo: We'll do it...but it has to be exclusive to the Wi--
Platinum: SOLD, we just want to release this game in any manner possible and make whatever little money we can.

Yuuki:
snip about wiiU

you'll need one hell of a shield here very soon.

OT: I can only see this as the next logical move, what's the point of exclusively signing to nintendo and releasing a game for the wiiU and not the 3DS? the 3DS is where the handheld market is at right now, that's where they should've been focusing in the first place.

TIL people not only wanted a Bayonetta 2, but also a 3DS spinoff. Go figure.

One thing I can't seem to understand is why everyone thinks Platinum doesn't want to make games on anything but Nintendo consoles because Bayonetta 2 had to be on the Wii U. Look, Bayonetta was a slow burn and wasn't exceptionally popular. It sold about a million on each console, so it's not a 'must have'. It's a little odd that no one wanted the game anymore, but Sega backed out and literally no one else though it was a good idea. Hell, I can't say whose fault it is... for all we know Platinum was asking for 'holy shit' levels of funding for a sequel to a mediocre game, and Nintendo was simply desperate enough for a 3rd party exclusive to say 'yes'. But that's JUST Bayonetta... Revengeance wasn't that long ago, and unless someone has word that Platinum is owned or under contract by Nintendo, they can still make games for whomever they want. They're just more likely to make games for Nintendo because they offered help.

As for an Okami sequel or spinoff... having seen every version of Okami and Okamiden, there isn't a reason why you wouldn't make the next game in some fashion of HD. Doesn't even need to be next gen, but while Okamiden was cute it lost a lot of its charm and art style because the game's pixels were as big as hams. Okami HD was still in the top ten downloads on PSN six months after it came out, so it's probably safe to assume it sold well. Portable versions of games are nice, but if the game has a specific art style it can easily be lost in shrinking it down. Bottom line, Platinum Games' titles are niche, gutsy and shouldn't be limited even further with the demographics and technology of portables.

Yuuki:
Snip

So basically you're saying that not getting funding is preferable to getting funding from Nintendo?

I think I might laugh at that one.

OT: I want a new Okami, sign me up with Daystar on that one!

Yopaz:

Yuuki:
Snip

So basically you're saying that not getting funding is preferable to getting funding from Nintendo?

What I'm basically saying is that pink trains are preferable to blue ones.

^ That's about the extent of your completely random conclusion out of my post.

Yuuki:
...Except that as far as Bayonetta fans are concerned (i.e. serious gamers, i.e. people who don't own a goddamn Wii U and never will), there is no sequel...

What does it take to be a serious gamer? Since I'm a fan of Bayonetta AND own a Wii U, I'm confused. I'd say playing video games my whole life makes me pretty "serious".

Either way, I'd say yes to a portable Bayonetta, could be fun.

(Posted on a Wii U. Yay gamepad, boo broken laptop, XD)

Yuuki:

Yopaz:

Yuuki:
Snip

What I'm basically saying is that pink trains are preferable to blue ones.

^ That's about the extent of your completely random conclusion out of my post.

Your own words:

Preferable scenario:
Nintendo: We'll do it...but it has to be exclusive to the Wii U.
Platinum: Wii U?
Nintendo: Yes, Wii U.
Platinum: HAHAHAHAHA
Platinum: *breathe*
Platinum: AAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Nintendo: Will you shut--
Platinum: HAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAUIOSFSFSHSKFAALKBBCHCHCH *choking*

The preferable scenario would be that Platinum treated the prospect of getting funding from Nintendo and thus give Nintendo the right to keep the game as an exclusive is utterly hilarious. Too silly to be serious.

Now I can draw two conclusions from this:
1: Platinum getting funding from Nintendo is worse than getting no funding.
2: Nintendo should fund a game and let it be released on their competing consoles.

Now I might be misunderstanding you here so please explain it to me. Why should Platinum laugh at the prospect of making a Wii U exclusive? Why would that be preferred over them making a Wii U exclusive?

Chaos James:
What does it take to be a serious gamer? Since I'm a fan of Bayonetta AND own a Wii U, I'm confused. I'd say playing video games my whole life makes me pretty "serious".

You are an extremely tiny minority which Platinum's decision helped. From your perspective a spectacular coincidence happened which went in your direction, but it doesn't change the fact that as far as the overwhelming majority Bayonetta fans are concerned there is no Bayonetta 2.

Yopaz:
2: Nintendo should fund a game and let it be released on their competing consoles.

Now I might be misunderstanding you here so please explain it to me. Why should Platinum laugh at the prospect of making a Wii U exclusive? Why would that be preferred over them making a Wii U exclusive?

That little conversation was more of a joke than anything, I guess I'll edit it out for now to avoid people like you drawing the entire conclusion from my post from it.

My main point was that almost nobody in particular has anything to gain from a Bayonetta sequel that's exclusive to Wii U, similar to how almost nobody would have anything to gain from a Gears Of War sequel being exclusive to Wii U. It's that simple.

Platinum is not going to have a rampaging success because Wii U itself has had abysmal sales, and Bayonetta fans have every right to be disappointed due to the game not being available on their core gaming platforms (because the first one was).
The only ones left to gain are the absolutely minuscule number of people who are interested in playing Bayonetta AND own a Wii U, as seen above. Platinum's attitude of "well at least be grateful you're getting a sequel" is all fine n' dandy, but people aren't going to be grateful for something they can't even play.

It's like having a huge sale of $1 games, and then you find out that the sale is "exclusive" to residents of some tiny island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. "At least be grateful you're getting this sale, it's better than nothing" say the salespeople - thanks, but I'm not a resident of that goddamn island and have nothing to be grateful for.

(In case you didn't get it, the island represents Wii U owners who are interested in a hardcore M17+ title like Bayonetta).

Yuuki:

Chaos James:

You are an extremely tiny minority which Platinum's decision helped. From your perspective a spectacular coincidence happened which went in your direction, but it doesn't change the fact that as far as the overwhelming majority Bayonetta fans are concerned there is no Bayonetta 2.

Yopaz:

That little conversation was more of a joke than anything, I guess I'll edit it out for now to avoid people like you drawing the entire conclusion from my post from it.

My main point was that nobody in particular has anything to gain from a Bayonetta sequel that's on the Wii U. That's all I had to say.
Platinum is not going to have a rampaging success because Wii U itself has had abysmal sales, and Bayonetta fans have every right to be disappointed due to the game not being available on the core gaming platforms.
The only ones left to gain are the absolutely miniscule number of people who are interested in playing Bayonetta AND own a Wii U, as seen above.

OK, I understand where you're going. This is all a misunderstanding in how the developer publisher relationship works.

You think the developer gets paid from selling games. That's cute.

the problem there that i find is that people seem to think that the circular logic of not putting games on the wii u because it doesn't have any games is roughly as infuriating as people telling me that women on the internet don't exist because they think women on the internet don't exist

Yuuki:
SNIP

Platinum doesn't make money from sales of their games. They get paid a fee by the publisher, the publsher recoups that fee by taking the money from sales. In this case, the publisher is Nintendo, who can easily afford to write off the development fees for W101 and Bayonetta 2 if they want to.

Yuuki:

Chaos James:

My main point was more focused on your choice of working on "Serious Gamers" in relation to owning a Wii U, considering I don't see the connection between the two.

Personally, I'm just glad that they are making a game they want to make, and get the chance to do so. Better the game gets made and 10 people enjoy it then the game never existing and no one getting to enjoy it. I mean, I've sat through quite a few sequels to games that I'd rather have on one console but appears on another, but I don't want to wish the games never be made just because I can't enjoy them.

Besides, a Bayonetta on 3DS would be good for most fans anyways, since the 3DS is a very popular handheld even for those rocking Xbawks and Playstations.

Yopaz:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Platinum doesn't make money from sales of their games. They get paid a fee by the publisher, the publsher recoups that fee by taking the money from sales. In this case, the publisher is Nintendo, who can easily afford to write off the development fees for W101 and Bayonetta 2 if they want to.

Don't see how that developer-publisher contract helps the consumer in any way, it's completely irrelevant to us how much cash Platinum is getting from Nintendo. The game's fans & core demographic are still left with nothing. My point stands.

Chaos James:
Personally, I'm just glad that they are making a game they want to make, and get the chance to do so. Better the game gets made and 10 people enjoy it then the game never existing and no one getting to enjoy it. I mean, I've sat through quite a few sequels to games that I'd rather have on one console but appears on another, but I don't want to wish the games never be made just because I can't enjoy them.

Besides, a Bayonetta on 3DS would be good for most fans anyways, since the 3DS is a very popular handheld even for those rocking Xbawks and Playstations.

I was harping more about the Wii U than anything else, it's not some kind of "equal" compared to Sony/MS's console by any means and is very much a niche platform owned by few at this point...but it's still got the full-blown Bayonetta sequel on it, which personally makes me a bit sad. I have a right to be sad about something I will never get to play even though I was looking forward to it :P
When you said you've sat through quite a few sequels that have appeared on un-preferred consoles, can you please provide any examples? I can't think of any AAA/big-budget titles that abandoned their original platforms and hopped over to a completely niche platform because that would be considered almost criminal by that franchise's fans.

Regarding 3DS, Hideki isn't talking about making a proper Bayonetta title for it, it's just a small spin-off game about Jeanne (side character). I'm fine with that, after all he's the mastermind behind Bayonetta and he can make whatever mini-game he wants on whatever platform.

Yuuki:

Yopaz:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Don't see how that developer-publisher contract helps the consumer in any way, it's completely irrelevant to us how much cash Platinum is getting from Nintendo. The game's fans & core demographic are still left with nothing. My point stands.

A full blown sequel does not, under any circumstances, equate to nothing. Bayonetta 2 is a thing, it exists, it has been created by Platinum.

Whether you personally feel it is worth investing into a Wii U in order to pick up Platinum's games for the system is irrelevant. Fans who really want to play Bayonetta 2/W101 can buy a Wii U, those who don't can just skip it. Bayonetta 2's platform exclusivity no more makes it a non-entity than FFVII's exclusivity to PS1.

Yuuki:

Yopaz:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Don't see how that developer-publisher contract helps the consumer in any way, it's completely irrelevant to us how much cash Platinum is getting from Nintendo for doing this. The game's fans & core demographic are still left with nothing. My point stands.

No, not really, but don't stress it. Your point seems to be something like "People who own Wii U are kids" and I really don't want to touch that one. It would be like discussing gay marriage with a homophobe.

Yuuki:

The only ones left to gain are the absolutely minuscule number of people who are interested in playing Bayonetta AND own a Wii U, as seen above. Platinum's attitude of "well at least be grateful you're getting a sequel" is all fine n' dandy, but people aren't going to be grateful for something they can't even play.

Or how about people who are interested in Bayonetta and are interested in owning a Wii U. In case you havnt realised people who dont already own a Wii U can buy one at some point in the future. And the way a console increases sales is by owning exclusives, so there is a hope that people will buy the Wii U for Bayonetta (aswell as other games) now maybe that doesnt happen, but still this wouldnt be happening at all if Nintendo werent the ONLY people willing to fund it.
Sure it would be nice for it to be on other systems, it would also be nice for Microsoft to put Halo 3 and later Halo games on the PC, it would also be nice for Sony to allow KillZone to be on other platforms.

Yopaz:
No, not really, but don't stress it. Your point seems to be something like "People who own Wii U are kids" and I really don't want to touch that one. It would be like discussing gay marriage with a homophobe.

It's unfortunate you feel that way, "people who own Wii U are kids" is a pretty sad thing to say because it's most certainly not the case, a much bigger variety of people own Wii U than simply children.

No point further discussing something like this if that's what you feel about the console's audience.

spartandude:
Sure it would be nice for it to be on other systems, it would also be nice for Microsoft to put Halo 3 and later Halo games on the PC, it would also be nice for Sony to allow KillZone to be on other platforms.

MS and Sony don't need to do that, their fanbase is already COLOSSAL for those exclusive games, and the customer base for Playstation/XBox is also COLOSSAL. It makes perfect sense for them to keep their exclusives as exclusives, an absolutely staggering number of people get to enjoy those exclusives.

But Bayonetta abandoning it's original consoles and going to Wii U (out of sheer desperation to release a sequel, and for no other reason) makes little sense considering their target demographic are primarily XBox/PS3 owners.

Yopaz:
Seems you're also unable to read. Now I really now I wasted some time here. Thanks for confirming that for me.

No need to get toxic, I'm not the one assuming Wii U owners are children.

Yuuki:

Yopaz:

It's unfortunate you feel that way, "people who own Wii U are kids" is a pretty sad thing to say because it's most certainly not the case, a much bigger variety of people own Wii U than simply children.

No point further discussing something like this if that's what you feel about the console's audience.

Honestly, are you trying to annoy me? Oh well, have a good day.

Yuuki:

Yopaz:

Actually Platinum seems to want to becaome a first party Nintendo subsidiary by all evidence. The thing is that they were treated like crap when they worked with Sega, and no one else wanted them Hell their relationship with Konami isn't that good either they were forced to rush out MGS Rising and even though it was great they wanted to work more on polishing it and didn't like the whole DLC crap. Nintendo is the first company to treat them like people.

Yeah the shock that no one (other systems) wanted Bayonetta sequel is quite large by the gamers. It was refreshing to have a female lead character who was both fun to play and had decent system mechanics. (Take that Ms Croft) Sure the story was abit loopy, but it was/is DMC with a hell of alot of character. Wish the other guys would have gotten on board that train.

Winnosh:
Actually Platinum seems to want to becaome a first party Nintendo subsidiary by all evidence. The thing is that they were treated like crap when they worked with Sega, and no one else wanted them Hell their relationship with Konami isn't that good either they were forced to rush out MGS Rising and even though it was great they wanted to work more on polishing it and didn't like the whole DLC crap. Nintendo is the first company to treat them like people.

I hadn't heard that side of the story. If that was the case, man I feel really bad for Platinum. This is a developer that has really been screwed from all sides it seems, despite releasing an amazing game.

Arawn:
Yeah the shock that no one (other systems) wanted Bayonetta sequel is quite large by the gamers. It was refreshing to have a female lead character who was both fun to play and had decent system mechanics. (Take that Ms Croft) Sure the story was abit loopy, but it was/is DMC with a hell of alot of character. Wish the other guys would have gotten on board that train.

Yeah I'm wondering why the hell Sony didn't immediately make the jump to fund Platinum. If Bayonetta 2 had become a PS4 exclusive it could have been advertised at E3 and it would've DEFINITELY made a very strong addition to PS4's lineup of exclusives. Hmmm.

Yuuki:

No need to get toxic, I'm not the one assuming Wii U owners are children.

Never once did I say that. That's you not reading my post. I think you're just deliberately trying to annoy me now.

Still you are proving my point here. I call you out for generalizing. You deflect and try to get me angry.

Thank you for proving me right.

Yuuki:

spartandude:

MS and Sony don't need to do that, their fanbase is already COLOSSAL for those exclusive games, and the customer base for Playstation/XBox is also COLOSSAL. It makes perfect sense for them to keep their exclusives as exclusives, an absolutely staggering number of people get to enjoy those exclusives.

But Bayonetta abandoning it's original consoles and going to Wii U (out of sheer desperation to release a sequel, and for no other reason) makes little sense considering their target demographic are primarily XBox/PS3 owners.

First of all Nintendo is hoping to use Bayonetta to boost sales. Second of all the would be completely abandoning their audience by not making it at all, in fact this way they are allowing you to buy a sequel where one would otherwise not exist.

I ask you what should they have done, considering Nintendo were the only ones willing to fund them? Also consider the costs of putting it on a console would likely prove too great for a kick starter campaign.

Winnosh:

You bring up a good point. I remember something about that now, where Bayonetta was very buggy on PS3 and SEGA couldn't give less of a flying f--they didn't do the patch. Sony did the patch themselves.

I never understood the relationship between SEGA and Platinum, but seeing how little SEGA cared about Bayonetta (probably bad blood between them and Sony), perhaps they're better off with Nintendo now. I hope they make more games for Ninty.

I couldn't handle the pseudo-military garbage they used to justify Vanquish, but the style was perfect for Bayonetta. It's still not enough to get me to buy a Wii U, but I'm curious to see the numbers after Bayonetta 2 is released.

Yuuki:
(i.e. serious gamers, i.e. people who don't own a goddamn Wii U and never will), there is no sequel. Bayonetta is very much a game for the hardcore crowd with it's spectacular visuals, insane length and steep difficulty curves. It has no business being on the Wii U.

Between X, SMT x Fire Emblem, the inevitable upcoming Zelda, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101 and (depending on how you define "hardcore") new Sonic and Mario games, the Wii U's exclusive line-up is starting to look really good for core gamers. I'm far more interested in the Wii U than either the PS4 or Xbone; nearly every game I want on either of those systems has been confirmed for PC. And amongst the ones that aren't, there are games like FFXV and MGSV where the director has expressed interest in releasing a PC version.

OT: Bayonetta on the bus? Yes, please!

Yes yes please!! Gimme anything Bayonetta and I'd buy it!
I'd imagine it looks something like this.

Yuuki:

dementis:

o_O
Ok I did some reading, it's insane how nobody wanted to fund a Bayonetta sequel (good reviews across the board, 1.3 million sales)...I mean Sony should've grabbed that opportunity and made a ton of money out of it as a PS4 promotion. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm happy that Platinum are getting to make their game, a sequel exclusive to Wii U is better than no sequel at all right? Except that as far as Bayonetta fans are concerned (i.e. serious gamers, i.e. people who don't own a goddamn Wii U and never will), there is no sequel. Bayonetta is very much a game for the hardcore crowd with it's spectacular visuals, insane length and steep difficulty curves. It has no business being on the Wii U.
It seems Platinum don't realize that 99.9% of people who were eagerly awaiting a Bayonetta sequel will NOT have a Wii U (and not want to BUY a freaking Wii U) due to already owning a Sony/MS console which serves them just fine for all their gaming needs. Almost all of them will be making a straight upgrade from PS3/360 to PS4/XBone...Wii U isn't even relevant to them! I'm one of those people! Platinum don't know their own target audience.

I mean think about how absurd it would be the next Infamous/Prototype sequel ended up being exclusive to Wii U due to lack of funding. Fans sitting there their Sony/MS consoles would be left with their jaws hanging open thinking "Ok...? How are we supposed to PLAY that?". More power to the developers for at least getting their game out and offering Wii U owners a good title, but they don't gain any points by steering in the opposite direction of their fanbase & target demographic.

The Wii U itself has had some pretty miserable sales and maybe Platinum will realize down the road that they didn't particularly achieve anything with this decision.

What probably happened:
Nintendo: We'll do it...but it has to be exclusive to the Wi--
Platinum: SOLD, we just want to release this game in any manner possible and make whatever little money we can.

Is it insane to think that a lot of Zelda and Metroid fans might occasionally play Devil May Cry, God of War, and Halo too? Very few people ONLY play casual or ONLY play hardcore, and those like me in the middle branch out everywhere. Your tastes are not everyone else's that like that ONE thing you have in common.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here