Xbox One Won't Support External Storage At Launch

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox One Won't Support External Storage At Launch

Xbox One

It turns out that the Xbox One won't support external storage options at launch after all.

Microsoft confirmed back in May that the Xbox One internal hard drive is non-replaceable, which could prove problematic if it ever fills up - and let's face it, 500GB doesn't go as far as it used to. But Microsoft's Alberto Penello told Engadget that the console will support external storage devices through its USB 3.0 port, and that external hard drives will function identically to the internal unit, including for download storage and game installs.

Alas, that's not exactly correct. At some point the Xbox One will presumably support external drives, but not in November of this year. "The future plan is definitely to support external storage, much like we do on the Xbox 360," Microsoft's Larry Hryb, aka Major Nelson, said in a Q&A recorded at PAX. "My understanding is that feature will not be there at launch, because the team is working on some other things, but it definitely is on the list. I don't know when it will come in, though."

Is this a big deal? I can't imagine it will take Microsoft too terribly long to implement the feature, although I also have trouble imagining why it's so complex a process that it can't be ready on launch date; either way, while it's unlikely that anyone will fill up their internal drives within the first few days of release, it's yet another instance of Microsoft appearing to drop the ball by promising things it can't deliver.

Somewhat oddly, Sony is taking the completely opposite approach regarding storage: The PlayStation 4's 500GB hard drive can be removed and upgraded but Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide Studios, confirmed on Twitter a few days ago that the external hard drive cannot be used to install games.

Source: Major Nelson, via Eurogamer

Well they want you to use the cloud to save stuff...also notice the "at launch" part. Until then you can just delete stuff you no longer need....if your not playing the game then delete it off your harddrive or use the cloud. This is just moaning for nothing - this is not a big deal, just ripe for a 1st word problem meme. Im waiting for a "XB1 doesnt play C64 cassettes" story.

Again...read....wont support external storage AT LAUNCH!! Or do you think you can fill up that drive within 2 days?

For god's sake, Microsoft, stop! Just stop! At first this was scary, then it became funny, but now... please, just STOP! Don't make the Xbone any worse, please!

It isn't a big deal by itself, but it is a constantly growing list of things that begs the question "Why are you launching it yet when it clearly isn't ready?"

It is obviously not ready for launch considering how many features won't be there when it does. Although as we all know, the reason why it is launching is because Christmas is coming up and they want to rake in the cash, especially as the Playstation 4 is also being released. They cannot afford for everybody to get that for Christmas which I suspect many people would do if the Xbox wasn't out until next year.

The fact that they think it is reasonable to launch such an unfinished product for the asking price is just one of many reasons for why I cannot stand Microsoft as a company.

so what is the advantage of this thing over the 360 or ps3. because other than graphics my ps3 seems to be able to do as much if not more than the xbox1

It's just another drop in the bucket at this point. However, this particular bucket has long been overflowing.

Ok, by now I'm wondering what it is the Xbone can do at launch. What's next? "Xbox One Won't Support Controllers At Launch"?

Legion:
The fact that they think it is reasonable to launch such an unfinished product for the asking price is just one of many reasons for why I cannot stand Microsoft as a company.

I bet all the subscription stuff will work just fine. Or at least paying for it will. Buy now, get your moneys worth later, maybe. Then pay some more.

Of COURSE it doesn't. God forbid they offer something that a lot of people might WANT at launch -_-

But doesn't the Xbox One install games to the hard-drive as standard, even if they come on a disc? If Microsoft is using blu-ray discs to have larger game sizes, that could mean trouble for people who don't even buy games digitally, but like to use game discs.

SonOfVoorhees:
Well they want you to use the cloud to save stuff...also notice the "at launch" part. Until then you can just delete stuff you no longer need....if your not playing the game then delete it off your harddrive or use the cloud. This is just moaning for nothing - this is not a big deal, just ripe for a 1st word problem meme. Im waiting for a "XB1 doesnt play C64 cassettes" story.

Again...read....wont support external storage AT LAUNCH!! Or do you think you can fill up that drive within 2 days?

In a vacuum this'd indeed be a storm in a teacup for all the reasons you've mentioned.

However, real life is not a vacuum, and right now it barely even matters anymore whether "negative news" is about the console spontaneously combusting, or a fairy spokesperson complaining about its incompability with Glow Dust OS. It all reinforces the negative reputation, until the only thing anyone'll remember is that the Xbone is a piece of shite.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
But doesn't the Xbox One install games to the hard-drive as standard, even if they come on a disc? If Microsoft is using blu-ray discs to have larger game sizes, that could mean trouble for people who don't even buy games digitally, but like to use game discs.

I think they are still doing the install thing, but I could be wrong and they could have changed it. Nothing should cause you to fill up the 500GB HDD at launch I think though, but they should just work on it right now really. Or just get rid of the install if it's still there. I mean heck the PS3 dropped that for most of their games after 09 really, with GTA V being the only one coming to my mind that needs an installation before playing it in 2013.
Although if it is like PS3 install then they only install portions of the game and then have it run based on the disc and the HDD, like how BioShock 2 is for the PS3.

Mainly because there has never been a game I've had on the PS3 that installed the full disc on the hard drive, the one game probably taking the most GB would have to be BioShock 1 when you get Infinite as it's 12 GB to install the full game.

Just how finished is this abomination exactly? 30%? Is that too generous?

SonOfVoorhees:

While it wasn't the norm, Playstation 3 games could take up to the entire 50gig capacity of a duel layered BD, and that was last gen. So 500 gigs, add to that the OS, any DVR'ed media (which is why there is no external HD options), save game files, and of course the full BD disk installs and you're going to use that 500gig HD quite quickly.

Also you think Microsoft would take a black-eye for a feature removal like this only to add it in within two days? or a month? Don't kid yourself you'll be lucky if Microsoft ever reverses this policy.

SonOfVoorhees:

Considering the plan was originally for an install-only system and games are likely to parallel the 50GB downloads from the PS4, I find it a bit concerning that they didn't plan on this at launch and have no definitive date.

Considering the current console setup, maybe not so much.

But then, if they only take 2 days, the point is kinda moot anyway.

I would note two things:

1. This isn't the only feature that isn't supported. By itself, it's not a thing. In the recent landslide of announcements? It's a thing. To quote Legion:

Legion:
It isn't a big deal by itself, but it is a constantly growing list of things that begs the question "Why are you launching it yet when it clearly isn't ready?"

2. Nintendo was totally going to allow USB HDD support with the Wii. Did that EVER happen?

I hate it when people try and sell us on features that don't exist and might not ever.

mrm5561:
so what is the advantage of this thing over the 360 or ps3. because other than graphics my ps3 seems to be able to do as much if not more than the xbox1

The clooooooooooooooud.

>.>

Ostensibly, the larger storage capacity (than the 360) and upgraded hardware could mean bigger games. In reality, it probably just means you walk down shinier corridors.

Of course, we're probably going to find out in a week that it only supports 2 GB of RAM at launch and it will totally add the rest in a later patch.

Can we get a "Xbox One will not devour your children at launch" confirmation?

I mean, that might make people worried about post-launch, but it'd be a good selling point.

Not a problem at launch. Anyone will have a hard time filling up 500 gigs in the first year, unless they decide to upload their entire music library. Microsoft will have it patched by the time gamers need an external.

I know _nothing_ about technology.

Although, that said, doesn't _every device known to man_ support external hard drives and memories at this point?

Or is the crux just that they want to allow external drives to support the installing of xbox apps/games?

If that is the case, thanks again DRM for ruining features and removing convenience.

This is NOT a big deal, there's no way you can fill your 500GB HDD at launch just by instaling games and eventually they will add support.
I canceled my Xbone pre-order and switched to PS4 for a lot of reasons and I couldn't care less if the Xbone fails but please don't cry about nothing specially if there's a lot of other valid reasons (changing policies, Kinect 2.0 and failing voice commands, price, cable box featurettes, etc.) to hate the Xbone.

They should make it so it can pull files from a NAS on the same wired network.

Andy Chalk:
I also have trouble imagining why it's so complex a process that it can't be ready on launch date

It might not seem like a difficult task, but you have to remember that the Xbone has by now had significant redesigning from all of the U-turns it has made since launch. They've had to tear out the DRM and the mandatory Kinect which were previously 'critical' to the system. Which likely meant they had to stop work on the things people wanted to get rid of the stuff they didn't.

And is there any word on whether the external storage in question will need to be first party or will they allow third party hardware? The 360 used to allow 3rd party harddrives then had them patched out, right?

But I'm not sure why someone would need 500GB of games on their system at all times, just keep the save files and delete the install data if you want to play something else. Even with massive games you'll be able to keep half a dozen on there concurrently.

thisbymaster:
They should make it so it can pull files from a NAS on the same wired network.

I was about to make a quip how unnecessarily arcane it would be but...isn't this more or less exactly what cloud storage is? It would also make it completely unnecessary for the hard drive(s) to fit in the machine; the bulky, ugly, mismatched things can plug into the modem/router and not take up precious entertainment area real estate. MS/PS4 can even make their special ones that just have an ethernet port (or Wifi!) and an AC adapter.

I have no idea why the console makers make their devices so limited when it wouldn't take that much more to add a couple features that actually be helpful and stand out from the competition. Heck, the Ouya can get random USB drives plugged into it; why can't the big boys? This isn't rocket science anymore.

Next up - Xbox One will not support PSUs at launch.

Lovely Mixture:

At this point Microsoft can neither confirm nor deny the Xbox One's baby-eating capabilities.

Again I ask; Why would anyone buy one of these stupid things? And this is coming from a 360 owner.

Legion:

This! The obvious answer to why not have a feature that has so clearly been a part of the past generation of consoles ready for launch, is they haven't worked out how to prevent you moving the drive from console to console yet. But still? To get to this point with no promised external storage? Yeah, good job on the design work their mickeysoft.

Another day, another feature or market segment trimmed from the Xbone at launch. All the signs are that this thing is clearly far from ready for prime time, but Microsoft have committed to rushing it out nonetheless.

Okay, I am calling it now. In about a year or so they will add support for a proprietary external drive, the drive itself will be a standard one but they will be selling the enclosure at a ridiculous markup. And they will not support standard external drive enclosures.

Not really a big deal but I'm noticing a pattern here.

They should change their motto to "Not at launch".

Teoes:
Next up - Xbox One will not support PSUs at launch.

Lovely Mixture:

At this point Microsoft can neither confirm nor deny the Xbox One's baby-eating capabilities.

Thanks man, now I'm picturing a baby eating robot! (Thatcher?)

Lovely Mixture:

I mean, that might make people worried about post-launch, but it'd be a good selling point.

Better not, we'd just get one Microsoft Executive telling us it won't devour children, one telling us it isn't not something they wouldn't maybe dismiss not adding in the future possibly according to their vision for the Xbox One and promise to give us more information later, then a Microsoft employee would insult the customers on some Social Networking site for not wanting their children devoured, getting himself fired, and a week down the line they'd bring out an announcement saying they've reversed whatever it was that they were going to do, and have therefore removed a pile of features, but never actually explain what this feature was originally, or how the new setup would work exactly.

And then Sony will announce that not only does their PS4 not devour your child, but it has anti-child devouring hardware that protect it from other household objects devouring your children as well.

faefrost:

Legion:

This! The obvious answer to why not have a feature that has so clearly been a part of the past generation of consoles ready for launch, is they haven't worked out how to prevent you moving the drive from console to console yet. But still? To get to this point with no promised external storage? Yeah, good job on the design work their mickeysoft.

I was thinking something more along the lines of "We need time to come up with our own version of Steam's Backup function", but that's probably a more valid idea. TBH I'm not sure if you can actually run highly demanding games of HDD drives anyway.

Machine Man 1992:
Again I ask; Why would anyone buy one of these stupid things? And this is coming from a 360 owner.

Too much disposable income, not enough brains. That's all I can figure.

Also of course the xbox one won't support external HDDs, the xbox one came out over a decade ago

Oh wait, this is about the new xbox, the xbone. The fact that they had to redesign it to remove all the stupid crap like DRM is no excuse because that crap should've never been there in the first place. Either they can delay the launch or admit that they messed up.

Hawk of the Plain:
Okay, I am calling it now. In about a year or so they will add support for a proprietary external drive, the drive itself will be a standard one but they will be selling the enclosure at a ridiculous markup. And they will not support standard external drive enclosures.

I thought they learned from complaints of the past and Sony's friendly stance towards 3rd party accessories by dropping those overpriced memory cards and patching the 360 to enable external storage. They'd be fools to go back to making people buy all that junk at 300% mark-up again. As long as the PS4 still uses standard harddrives and usb cables, bluetooth for headsets and controllers, and usb storage, MS better not drop the ball here, too.

Dear lord what did the scope statement read as for this?

"Take away all the features people like. WE HAVE A DOG"

While I agree that you'd want to be a right hoarder to go though that many GB on Launch, revealing this information only makes their weak hand weaker.

I'm not getting one, but I don't see how this is a problem. After a while, yes, but you should be able to go a few months with 500 GB even of you only buy digital.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here