Deathwing Brings FPS Action To Games Workshop's Space Hulk

Pages PREV 1 2

thaluikhain:

Most Space Marine Chapters (Dark Angels included) have psychic librarians that wear blue armour. Yeah.

True that. I've got the Dark Angel's Grand Master Librarian, Ezekiel, and I've painted him up in blue armour.

The Deathwing are bad ass!

Genocidicles:
Well there was that Fire Warrior FPS where you played as a Tau.It was horrible.

It wasn't that bad, the PC version anyway.

I like the look of this game so far for two reasons;

1- No Ultrasmurfs. I hope Matt Ward is crying himself to sleep over this.
2- You play as a Librarian, I have always wanted to play as the bastard offspring of Gandalf and Emperor Palpatine.

thaluikhain:
Space Hulk was originally a turn based board game, making it into a FPS...dunno.

In principle, I don't see why it would be a problem. The 40K universe is a perfect setting for an FPS, and Space Hulk in particular, where the entire setup is that you're wandering dark corridors probably alone with weird monsters ready to jump out at any moment, is pretty much ideal. The only trouble is that so far every attempt to actually make a 40K shooter has sucked.

Also, making a Space Hulk game just being about corridors and genestealers is also a bit dull, in the fluff hulks are much more interesting than that.

In the fluff they may be more, but in the actual Space Hulk game that's exactly all it was. And I don't necessarily see that as a problem. Just look at Alien vs Predator. Two great games that mostly consist of shooting exactly the type of alien over and over again. The lack of variety of enemies compared to many games isn't a problem because the variety of scenarios make up for it. That's exactly where the expansion for AvP2 fell down, because it was just a couple of aliens jumping out a vent next to you over and over again.

So given that genestealers are a direct rip-off of Alien in the first place, there's no reason a hulk full of them has to be dull. It may well turn out that way, but that will be due to poor writing, not inherent in the setup.

Kahani:
In the fluff they may be more, but in the actual Space Hulk game that's exactly all it was. And I don't necessarily see that as a problem. Just look at Alien vs Predator. Two great games that mostly consist of shooting exactly the type of alien over and over again. The lack of variety of enemies compared to many games isn't a problem because the variety of scenarios make up for it. That's exactly where the expansion for AvP2 fell down, because it was just a couple of aliens jumping out a vent next to you over and over again.

So given that genestealers are a direct rip-off of Alien in the first place, there's no reason a hulk full of them has to be dull. It may well turn out that way, but that will be due to poor writing, not inherent in the setup.

Well, yeah, but there's been quite a few Space Hulk games, both tabletop and video games, and they are all Terminators Vs Genestealers in corridors. I think the very first let you take other races, and an expansion for the second let you take power armoured marines (both the tabletop versions), but still very samey.

Nothing wrong with the idea, but they keep going with the same stuff over and over.

thaluikhain:
Well, yeah, but there's been quite a few Space Hulk games, both tabletop and video games, and they are all Terminators Vs Genestealers in corridors. I think the very first let you take other races, and an expansion for the second let you take power armoured marines (both the tabletop versions), but still very samey.

Nothing wrong with the idea, but they keep going with the same stuff over and over.

Well yes, Space Hulk is always Space Hulk. If you don't want to play Space Hulk, there are plenty of other 40K games around. But the ones that aren't about marines fighting genestealers in corridors aren't called Space Hulk, because they're different games. It seems a bit odd to complain that a specific game is in fact that game and not a different one. If it was a different game, it would be a different game called something different.

TiberiusEsuriens:
Some day I'd like there to be a Warhammer 40K game that had you playing as something besides a grizzled space marine. I know that marketing says it wouldn't sell as well, and they may be right, but as a fan of Warhammer, humans have always been my LEAST favorite race. If you want to make a game about psykers, use the friggin' Eldar. They have all the powers of the warp and an art style that is a lot more interesting, with equipment that is a lot more variable than gun-gun-bigger-gun. Their unit movement is even more graceful, which is a major reason the big fat armor gets so annoying. If you're going to do marines, at least make it Chaos so we can use demonic warp spells and summon some monsters. It would be more interesting than the umpteenth Space Marine game.

I came here with that in my mind. What frustrates me about GW is that they have this brilliant flushed out world that almost exists in spite of their best efforts not to fully explore it in video games. We already had a Space Marine video game called Space Marine that sold pretty well because of the buzz that loyal fans generated for it (since ambitious story telling or gameplay wasn't). You can't tell me that they would not go insane for the idea of playing something as neat as the eldar instead of Space Marines again. I mean the stakes don't get higher than the fight of the Eldar. But this is the post THQ GW that seems more interested in making cheap games so I really can't be surprised they are entirely unambitious with this game as well. Well it's going to make its budgets back but unless Cyanide breaks from its record it won't be amazing.

EDIT: Btw what a dumb name for developer. Why would you name your company after a deadly poison...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.