Google Unveils Android KitKat

Google Unveils Android KitKat

Android KitKat

KitKat is the name of the next version of the Android operating system. Seriously.

In a twist on naming Android releases after sweets and desserts - Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and so forth - Google announced today that the next version of its operating system will be named after a specific brand of chocolate bar: the famous KitKat.

Until now it was expected that the next version of Android would be named Key Lime Pie, but John Lagerling, Google's director of Android global partnerships, said the decision to change the name to KitKat was actually made late last year.

"We realized that very few people actually know the taste of a key lime pie," he said. "One of the snacks that we keep in our kitchen for late-night coding are KitKats. And someone said: 'Hey, why don't we call the release KitKat?' We didn't even know which company controlled the name, and we thought that [the choice] would be difficult. But then we thought, well why not, and we decided to reach out to the Nestle folks."

Nestle was actually very amenable to the idea and decided within an hour of Google's initial outreach to sign on, even though Nestle Marketing Chief Patrice Bula acknowledged that the move isn't without risks, especially if the new OS turns out to be buggy or prone to crashing. "When you try to lead a new way of communicating and profiling a brand you always have a higher risk than doing something much more traditional," he said. "You can go round the swimming pool ten times wondering if the water is cold or hot, or you say: 'Let's jump.'"

Perhaps the most impressive part of the deal is that both companies were able to keep it a secret for the better part of a year. Only a "tight team" knew about the change and Lagerling said the company continued to refer to it as Key Lime Pie, even internally. "If we had said, 'The K release is, by the way, secret', then people would have racked their minds trying to work out what it was going to be," he added.

The arrangement "is not a money-changing-hands kind of deal," according to Lagerling, but Nestle plans to sell more than 50 million KitKats emblazoned with the Android mascot and is offering buyers a Willy Wonka-like chance to randomly win Nexus 7 devices or Google Play credits. Google, meanwhile, erected a giant statue of its Android mascot made out of KitKats - presumably not real ones - at its headquarters.

Source: BBC, Android

Mmmmm. Crispy , chocolate fingers... Sorry, what is the artical about?

So, I wonder how many people are going to call Google a sellout now with the new Android name?

EDIT: Here's the real question - Can it run on candybar phones?

Who else really wants the page image to be an actual candy bar. Would be a nice bit of cross promotion.

Aww that's so sweet.

Two giant corporations getting along together.

Prime_Hunter_H01:
Who else really wants the page image to be an actual candy bar. Would be a nice bit of cross promotion.

Me. I was hoping that this would be the result of this cross-promotion.

luvd1:
Mmmmm. Crispy , chocolate fingers... Sorry, what is the artical about?

Already love KitKats. Also very much pro-Android. Such a win-win situation for me! And now I'm hungry.

Doom972:

Prime_Hunter_H01:

Me. I was hoping that this would be the result of this cross-promotion.

i'll take 50. seriously. that would be awesome to get those.

OT: well i'll just have to hope the kitkat is as good as the candy is, because fuck if i don't love me a kitkat bar.

Meh. I'll wait for the next release. Android Laffy Taffy.

I have to say this could be a good money making strategy for tech companies. Apple has a problem with running out of cool cat names for OSX. So maybe they can partner with chocolate companies to release new software. I mean think of the cool space related chocolate bars they could use OSX Galaxy, OSX Milky Way, OSX Mars, OSX... Starbar?

Though, unfortunately, it seems Apple has already missed a trick.

... sooooo, there isn't going be a phone made of candy? Or any candy?

I want some candy now...

Damn...
I need a KitKat now.
Haven't had one in years yet I really, really need one now.
Good marketing.

They should have waited until April 1st to reveal this. Just to see how long before people notice.

How long before a drunk person tries to tear their phone in half and eat it?

I can see the new song now:

Gimme a break, gimme a break
Sell me a good deal for that KitKat Droid!

Now i wanna KitKat bar!

I'm... actually against this. Nestlé is a TERRIBLE corporation, and Google really shouldn't be interacting with them, even if its in such a minor way.

Seriously, read up about Nestlé. They make EA and Activision look like child's play.

Simalacrum:
I'm... actually against this. Nestlé is a TERRIBLE corporation, and Google really shouldn't be interacting with them, even if its in such a minor way.

Seriously, read up about Nestlé. They make EA and Activision look like child's play.

True, but I like tasty thing and Nestlé, sadly, churn out of lot of those and there is two of them, I cannot go without, Quik and Coffee Crisp.

Nestle was actually very amenable to the idea and decided within an hour of Google's initial outreach to sign on, even though Nestle Marketing Chief Patrice Bula acknowledged that the move isn't without risks, especially if the new OS turns out to be buggy or prone to crashing.

Surely only an utter cretin would look at the newest version of Android being buggy and think worse of certain particular chocolate biscuits as a result.

Android buggy and prove to crashing? Noooooo...surely not...

Seriously Google, give me a break here.

See what I did Thar!

I too want that image as a real candy. It looks so delicious.

Simalacrum:

True. But I want chocolate and I cant make chocolate at home. Guess Ill still be buying kitkats.

That logo is inspired too.

I wonder what the 'repeated-tapping-of-the-version-number' easter egg will be on this one? After the Jelly Bean game, will this one just order you a KitKat?

iniudan:

True, but I like tasty thing and Nestlé, sadly, churn out of lot of those and there is two of them, I cannot go without, Quik and Coffee Crisp.

bjj hero:

True. But I want chocolate and I cant make chocolate at home. Guess Ill still be buying kitkats.

Their chocolate doesn't really make a difference here... while I personally try and keep any Nestlé product in a blacklist (quite the feat really), whether you eat them or not is your choice, and doesn't really matter in this whole partnership between Google and Nestlé.

Google is a corporation that pledges to not "be evil".

Nestlé, frankly, are basically the pinnacle of the 'evil corporation' image; I don't use those words lightly.

This isn't about whether you like their products or not; this is about a massive promotional boost for a company who's CEO has openly said that he thinks water shouldn't be a basic human right but be made a commodity; the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that this is a terrible idea for Google.

In fact, I might just write a letter of concern.

But but Nestle is a terrible company (delicious snacks aside) and KEY LIME PIE IS FREAKING GODLY!

Who the hell hasn't had key lime pie? GO FIX YOUR LIFE RIGHT NOW!

It's delicious!

Simalacrum:

iniudan:

bjj hero:

Their chocolate doesn't really make a difference here... while I personally try and keep any Nestlé product in a blacklist (quite the feat really), whether you eat them or not is your choice, and doesn't really matter in this whole partnership between Google and Nestlé.

Nestlé, frankly, are basically the pinnacle of the 'evil corporation' image; I don't use those words lightly.

This isn't about whether you like their products or not; this is about a massive promotional boost for a company who's CEO has openly said that he thinks water shouldn't be a basic human right but be made a commodity; the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that this is a terrible idea for Google.
I

I appreciate you are passionate, not enough people are. If you feel that strongly I encourage you to write your letter as too many people just complain and take no action.

Having said all of this, google are a tech company. The tech runs using lots of precious and semi precious metals. The mining, manufacture and eventual disposal of these is devastating to thevenvironment and is often done by some of the poorest people on earth in less than safe ways. I personally dont go for the ethical shopping thing. There are some items i need at affordable prices.

Simalacrum:

Google threw that out years ago, where have you been?

soren7550:
... sooooo, there isn't going be a phone made of candy? Or any candy?

I want some candy now...

Google would like to remind you that consuming, or biting any piece off of, your phone may void your warranty.

Dear Nestlé,

I see that Google has named their next operating system after one of your products. I'm sure you feel particularly proud of the feat - owning the first brand name to become an operating system. In this time, I would like to suggest that you capitalize on this opportunity by creating a similar decision. Considering the friendly relationship you know have with Google, I think that creating an exclusive, limited edition Kit-Kat bar shaped like the Google Android (as pictured above).

Yours Truly,
Everyone Ever.

So an OS with a history of having their security easily broken into...
Is naming its next version after an easily breakable candy bar.

Ladies and Gents...
The jokes will be writing themselves from now on.

Simalacrum:

It's Chik-Fil-A all over again.

Look, I really don't care what the CEO of a company SAYS, I care about what he and his company DOES. Do they make a product or service I like? Yes? Sweet, in that case, I will pay them for the product or service.

Yes I know Nestle and co do essentially enslave poor africans for chocolate. Much like Willy Wonka without the cuteness. Or the singing. But as was said above me, unfortunately pretty much everything in modern life is built on the backs of those people in second and third world countries who are too small to hear their voices. Taking a stand on Nestle and then still using my Samsung phone, my ASUS motherboard, my Xbox 360, etc would be highly hypocritical of me.

Don't make me go get my list of CEO's who've proven to be right bastards (that I prepared during the Chik-Fil-A thing). When I whip that one out, you'll never want to do business with an american company again. Or you'll realize that there's very few CEO's you agree with and learn to tune them and their opinions out to enjoy the product.

That's kind of funny actually. I imagine candy companies will start throwing money at Google to become the "next android".

The Daily Show did a piece on Nestle a little while back if you can track it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C29_U0Ksao

If you can embed this or find the Daily Show piece please do.

What do you mean that this has nothing to do with Zero Punctuation?!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here