Xbox One Gets Last Minute CPU Boost

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox One Gets Last Minute CPU Boost

xbox one image

Microsoft is now in full production for the Xbox One and is still on schedule for a November 2013 launch.

Microsoft have announced one final performance boost for the Xbox One, which has just entered full production ahead of its November 2013 release date. A last-minute change will see the console's CPU performance upgraded to 1.75 GHZ from 1.6 GHZ. This news comes after confirmed reports last month that Microsoft had beefed up the Xbox One's GPU clock speed from 800 MHz to 853 MHz. Overall, it looks like we are getting a slightly more powerful machine than we first expected.

Xbox chief marketing officer Yusef Mehdi, speaking at the Citi Global Technology Conference, confirmed that Microsoft is now in full production for the Xbox One and is producing the machine en masse. He did not, however, offer a solid release date, simply saying that the system is "really going to shine," and "This will be the biggest launch we've ever done by a wide margin in terms of units shipped at launch."

For the record, Sony have yet to announce the PS4's clock-speeds, but rumors suggest it is around the 2.0 GHZ mark. The Xbox One's GPU shader throughput is now closer to 1.33 TeraFLOPS/s, while PS4's shader is estimated to be around 1.84 TeraFLOPS/s.

Is this last minute performance update enough to sway you over to Microsoft's side, or are you worried that they are still tweaking the console considering it will be on store shelves in two months?

Source: Geek wire (Thanks Phil!)

Still not interested. For the first time I will purchase a Playstation and give it to myself two months used for Christmas.

I do not know why but just remembered I used to play a game on my cousin's original Playstation where you drove a tank in first person on alien worlds and constructed bases and units that you could take over like an RTS. Man, the nostalgia!!!

Back on track, there is nothing Microsoft can do at this point to win me over.

Okay so they boost the CPU clock speed.

How does it change performance? Thats a pretty small boost in speed.

Just mentioning this FLOPS = Floating-point Operations Per Second there's no need for that /s as it's already included in the original acronym.

Not sure what to think about this. This late in its development cycle changing clock speeds without sufficient time to test enough might cause some problems. Here's hoping we don't see them repeating the red ring of death. I'm not planning to get one regardless of that, but it would be nice to see them care a tiny bit about the consumer for once.

Yeah... This is not going to horribly wrong or anything. It's not like we had huge overheating issues in the last generation.

Also: seriously? Only 1.33 TFLOPS? My 560 GTX ti, bought two years ago and already a good bit below the top of the line GPUs has 1.26 TFLOPS. I'm not impressed, Microsoft.

Saulkar:
Still not interested. For the first time I will purchase a Playstation and give it to myself two months used for Christmas.

I do not know why but just remembered I used to play a game on my cousin's original Playstation where you drove a tank in first person on alien worlds and constructed bases and units that you could take over like an RTS. Man, the nostalgia!!!

This console generation sure is off to an interesting start:

consumer: "If Microsoft takes away DRM I'll probably get one."
MS: "We have taken away our DRM policies"
consumer: "still not buying, they shouldn't have done it in the first place."

consumer: "If Microsoft changed their indie policy I would probably buy one"
MS: "we have changed our indie policy and all consoles will be dev kits"
consumer: "Still not buying, i don't even like indie games"

consumer: "if they included a headset i would probably buy one"
MS: "We will be including a free headset with the xbox one"

consumer: "Still not buying, PS4 is more powerful"
MS: "We amped up the performance of the xbox one"

consumer: "Oh well, still not buying. I've hated them for so long I might as well hate them some more!"

This all just smells like marketing to me.

Like they planned that well ahead and just now release that info, so it feels like they would be catching up to the PlayStation 4

TomWiley:

consumer: "Oh well, still not buying. I've hated them for so long I might as well hate them some more!"

We don't trust them, they say a lot but I'm waiting to see if they do what they say. I might get one in a few years when it's cheaper.

Microsoft don't know how to treat customers, I'm staying away from this.

I do find this a bit perplexing. Now I get optimization and all, I get the need to raise the tech bar from the current generation, but with all the pissing and moaning that started to show up about 2008-2009 that "WE NEED NEW GENURASHEUN!!!" to first see the hype period of 6 months between official announcement to release and then see that the technical hardware particulars are still being nailed down, I really have to wonder why this was not a little better planned for than this?

Dont get me wrong, Who doesnt like a little extra horsepower, but to do a switch like this two months before anticipated release for what when is all said and done will be a nominal speed increase does sort of cast an aura of confusion and lacking professionalism. It almost feels like one of those watching a car crash from a distance vibes. You see it coming. The signs are there. You can tell it is going to happen. You are powerless to avoid it and all you can do is sit there and watch as it all happens.

Not trying to sale the console is going to be a failure. Just saying this is another one of those signs that makes this honestly feel eerily reminiscent of all the buildup after the announcement of Win8 and what it had no other alternative but to turn out exactly as it did.

viranimus:
I do find this a bit perplexing.

Microsoft has had problems with their communication for some time now, so I'm not really surprised..

If the Xbone has some kind of RRoD issue...I'm gonna laugh.

So hard...so very very hard.

Congratulations Microsoft you know how to change a CPU multiplier.

Steven Bogos:
Is this last minute performance update enough to sway you over to Microsoft's side

Absolutely. The only thing that prevented me from running out to buy one when I first heard it existed was my concern that the CPU was 0.15 GHz too slow.

Sol_HSA:

viranimus:
I do find this a bit perplexing.

Microsoft has had problems with their communication for some time now, so I'm not really surprised..

Saying MS has communication problems is a massive understatement.

I'm honestly surprised by this news, generally you want to lock in your hardware months before production starts so you can iron out all the bugs before full scale production.

This increase can be seen as a bad thing, 3 months to test, build and ship isn't much. If they miss something or the console goes boom after 6 months then MS will be trouble.

Upping the clock speed by such a small amount is barely going to do anything performance wise. I don't know why they bothered in all honesty.

Weren't there reports coming from the devs months ago about Microsoft having to throttle back the CPU and GPU speeds by as much as 30% because they were having stability issues with the hardware and couldn't make it work at native speeds? If that's true, then even this "boost" is still less than what the console hardware should be capable of. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Microsoft roll out "performance enhancement" patches over the first couple months of the console's life to slowly crank the speeds up to what they should already be at (if they could get it right in the first place).

Of course, they will spin it as "giving the consumer added value" instead of "you bought a gimped console and we're finally letting you get what you paid for."

Why yes, I am a cynical bastard. When it comes to Microsoft, I have every right to be cynical.

Hazy992:
Upping the clock speed by such a small amount is barely going to do anything performance wise. I don't know why they bothered in all honesty.

It allows them another bullet point in the marketing spiel about how awesome their new console is. That's about it.

Ed130:
I'm honestly surprised by this news, generally you want to lock in your hardware months before production starts so you can iron out all the bugs before full scale production.

Nah, they probably just found that they get acceptable yields with the now-published clocks so they decided to go with it. It's not like they're swapping one piece of hardware with another or anything.. =)

TomWiley:
-snip-

Yes, because all of the hatred against the Xbone was clearly unjustified. Oh wait, no it wasn't, and anyone still arguing that has no leg to stand on.

Microsoft directly lied to its customers about several things in regards to how their console works. They stated that the always-on connection was mandatory. Turns out it wasn't. They stated that the Kinect was mandatory. Turns out it wasn't.

And yet, by your logic, simply because they removed all of these shitty policies that we didn't want, we should reconsider buying from Microsoft even though they were originally telling us a load of bold-faced lies.

Imagine if I offered to sell you a new computer, but I told you that you couldn't use it unless you checked in with me once per day and unless you attached a webcam to it so that I could watch you. And that both of these things were required in order for the computer to function properly. You'd tell me I'm a damn liar, and I'd retract my claims and remove the mandatory restrictions. So now you'd buy it from me even though I've proven myself completely untrustworthy? You are far too generous (and far too naive) if you think that way.

Forgive me and everyone else for not being willing to trust someone who has already been caught lying to me so many times before they even released the product.

It'd be interesting, just to get an idea of operations on this scope, to see when this decision was made, how long it took them to make it, and why it was made.

I mean, when you likely have to ship a million of these things to multiple countries in two months, after building them, getting the parts sourced, loading software onto them etc. I can't imagine that the decision was made in the last week? Surely not.

TomWiley:

Saulkar:

It's not if "they'd remove this, then I'd buy." It's "I'm not buying it because they did this." The problem is that they lost trust. The fact that they changed their minds doesn't change that they did it in the first place. Status quo is not restored because of backpedaling.

Also, even if they went through the extremely difficult task of changing clockspeeds in the BIOS, the Xbone is still way behind in power.

why do they need to up the CPU power when they have the cloud?
they already have enough clouds to make it like 4 XBones in one.
cloud

Nope, in fact it's done the opposite. It's doubtful MS have made any engineering changes to the physical machine, meaning that the cooling system could have supported this clock "boost" in the first place. Chances are they were saving the boost for a revised model 18 months down the line as a means to market it. So they've deliberately held back their best effort.

Regardless of MS yet again proving their contempt for the consumer, 53MHz is not enough to sway me to them. I've always been with Sony, but I'm not one to stick around. I was genuinely interested in the XB1 to see if it could sway me, but they have only galvanised me further to PS4.

Denamic:
extremely difficult task of changing clockspeeds in the BIOS

That's sarcasm, right? I can't tell.

TomWiley:

At this point, Microsoft is really just seeing how true "trust is hard to build but easy to break" really is. The issue for them is that they basically laid out their vision for the future of gaming, and it was far from what any of us wanted it to be. Even though they went back on some of what we had issues with, it wasn't because it was in line with a change in vision, as "heartbroken" Microsoft employees made pretty obvious. It was because of low pre-order sales and the fact that they were having issues on the stock market after their announcement. Still, we saw what they want, and Microsoft has an uphill battle in proving to us that they don't plan on ever going back to what they were planning.

Not to mention, there are other reasons to avoid the Xbox One. The Kinect and the extra $100 price tag compared to the PS4 are just two of them.

Steven Bogos:
while PS4's shater

Slight typo.

Is this last minute performance update enough to sway you over to Microsoft's side, or are you worried that they are still tweaking the console considering it will be on store shelves in two months?

If anyone is swayed by a .15GHz and .53MHz bump respectively then they're easily impressed and probably don't know much about computer hardware. Sure, it's nice to get all the power you can, but the consumer is never going to notice the difference realistically.

Something just screams to me hardware failure because of this last minute change. Anyways, when I get the money, PS4 all the way. XBOne can also suck my fine ass PC as well.

TomWiley:
Snip

That's some real Battered Wife Syndrome you've got going on, there, buddy.

"Microsoft has repeatedly and consistently showed me that they don't care about me as a consumer, but I think they can change!"

CriticKitten:

And yet, by your logic, simply because they removed all of these shitty policies that we didn't want, we should reconsider buying from Microsoft even though they were originally telling us a load of bold-faced lies.

And let's not forget that, in more recent interviews, Microsoft have hinted that those same shitty policies aren't necessarily gone forever, and may very well make a comeback once they have an 'established consumer base,' i.e. people who have already given us their money so fuck them.

Just because Microsoft have wiped the blood off the knife doesn't mean we should all assume they aren't still waiting for the next chance to stab us in the back.

Riotguards:

TomWiley:

don't be such a fanboy

microsoft tried to make you it's bitch by removing user rights and selling a significantly worse product than its competitor, DRM policies which made it impossible to share games and made no real sense other than "its hip"

then microsoft does a 180 not because it suddenly had a moment of clarity, were it saw that these features were bad, no they saw that the preorders were down and if preorders are down then that means your console is going to be a failure at launch (which leads to even more failure)

everything microsoft has done afterwards has always had a catch to it

microsoft adds DRM for the cloud gaming and it can't be taken off because its build into the system

oh microsoft CAN turn it off by simply installing a day one patch

indie devs are not allowed to self publish games

oh ok microsoft changes it mind because lets be honest, how retarded is it to force a self financed game to loss further profits because they had to get a publisher

xbox comes with a headset and HDMI cable

oh man that sure will surely persuade people that shelling out an extra 100$ for a kinect (that spys on you when your naked) and some cheap plastic headset THAT they forced you to buy anyway because they made it impossible for the older headphones from being used unless you have an adaptor, is somehow remotely better

microsofts console is given a 10% increase in power and that still is dwarfed by the PS4's performance, and you consider it better, and why didn't they do this earlier, clearly they were holding back any upgrade just so they can make more profits...

> Dwarfs
>> Both use low end entry level tablet technology from a desperate, nearly bankrupt hardware manufacturer.

Oh yeah, "dwarfs." lets not kid ourselves into thinking either one has actual power. Its been known the most advanced console always wastes its potential so power might as well not even be a factor anymore because manufacturers are sick of trying and publishers don't even use it.

Especially when its just 90% corridor shooters anyway, not like they will use the power for big sprawling games.

If anyone cared about power and potential that much they would have jumped ship to PC long ago.

1.6 GHz to 1.75 GHz
800 MHz clock speed to 853 MHz clock speed
1.33 TeraFLOPS/s

All interesting sounding numbers. Now if someone could please explain to me what it all means in detail, I'd be more excited about it. Thank you.

I'm giving both consoles a couple months before I get either one but right now I'm still leaning Xbox one.

Denamic:

It's not if "they'd remove this, then I'd buy." It's "I'm not buying it because they did this." The problem is that they lost trust. The fact that they changed their minds doesn't change that they did it in the first place. Status quo is not restored because of backpedaling.

Also, even if they went through the extremely difficult task of changing clockspeeds in the BIOS, the Xbone is still way behind in power.

Bingo.

Consumers didn't say 'M$ pls change this feature and I'll buy one', we said 'f-you M$, we aren't buying your crap', to which they responded 'I fixed this, what about now?'.

Having seen both consoles in action at PAX (and played them), I'm convinced the PS4 is the right purchase aside from the drm and kinnect crap, making it an easy choice for me.

TomWiley:

Saulkar:

Even with the slight increase of performance, PS4 still has the better specs.

Also, like others that had said in this thread, increasing performance without enough time to accurately test it, yes absolutely nothing will go wrong. ever. What do you mean the 360 had heating problems because, yet again, they rushed their console in hopes of beating Sony?

Why dont you want to go to the future with specs that was widely available in the far off year of 2005?

It's supposed to set on fire due to us not testing it with it's new specs, WHY DO YOU HATE THE CLOUD?!

and, of course since this is the internet and people cant tell through text alone:

ssgt splatter:
1.6 GHz to 1.75 GHz
800 MHz clock speed to 853 MHz clock speed
1.33 TeraFLOPS/s

All interesting sounding numbers. Now if someone could please explain to me what it all means in detail, I'd be more excited about it. Thank you.

I'm giving both consoles a couple months before I get either one but right now I'm still leaning Xbox one.

The difference is so little that you will never even notice a tiny change in anything while gaming. That's about what you need to take from this :P

OT: I didn't know the consoles had such shitty CPUs.

LOL. 9%

From my point of view, whole thing comes off as desperation. Desperation to match their competitor in performance - not that I know what the performance level of the PS4 is; just that it LOOKS that way.

Overall minor speed ups like that won't gain you much of an edge against the competition as multi-platform programmers will just target the lowest common denominator hardware - for this reason, things like the Kinect are a waste of money - so as long as you are within the performance ballpark of your competitors such that you don't cause developers trouble in porting, you are fine.

Secondly, I don't see how this is good for reliability (something MS has had a lot of trouble with current gen), not to mention the impact on yields and cost.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here