Parkour Team Brings Mirror's Edge To Life

Parkour Team Brings Mirror's Edge To Life

The live-action tribute to Mirror's Edge created by parkour team Ampisound will take your breath away.

Mirror's Edge was never a big hit but those who like it, as the saying goes, like it a lot. People like the members of Ampisound, for instance, a "parkour production team" that yesterday released a live-action tribute to EA's first-person take on parkour.

"We're massive fans of Mirror's Edge, and are always getting comments and comments saying 'Wow this is like real life Mirrors Edge'," the team wrote on YouTube. "Well EA/DICE recently announced Mirrors Edge 2, and out of excitement we decided to put together this POV video!"

Not bad, eh? The red glove is a nice touch, and I maintain that Lisa Miskovsky's "Still Alive" is an outstanding videogame theme (here's the full version if you haven't heard it) - and now I'm more excited for Mirror's Edge 2 than ever.

Well that was awesome to watch. And I agree, Still Alive is an outstanding theme, in fact, I prefer it more than its more famous namesake in gaming.

This woman guy has a death wish as well as awesome Parkour skills.

I wish Faith was that good.

Makes me want to play Mirror's Edge again.

How is she not street pizza? Sure, she's skilled, but everybody makes mistakes now and then.

Pretty damn awesome. Although,I have to say,that flip near the end? Show off. Not that I'm complaining,though. It's a magnificent piece of mobile art.

I can't believe that's real, she has no fear at all. Part of me wishes I could do that, then the part of my brain that she doesn't have (the part of me that cares about self-preservation) reminds me my bones would be powder. She is crazy and awesome and I want to see more.

I just have to ask, is the person in the video a woman? Because, for whatever reason, I'm getting a 'man' vibe. Either way, they are a finely tuned human machine, and their moves have made me wish the rooftops around here were just a little bit closer together.

Needs more bloom.

But seriously, that is some awesome skill right there. Faith needs to take some pointers.

I think there needs to be a rule that every Parkour video is shot from this perspective for the rest of eternity. I won't deny that the stuff they do looks impressive from a third person angle, but this ramps that feeling up to 11.

I had a heart attack and I wasn't even the one jumping.

Looked frickin' sweet though. Wish I had the skills and fearlessness required to do this....I think. Would need elbow pads...and knee pads and a helmet and lots of bubble wrap.

Just saying guys, I can't speak for every location, but there are parkour gyms that exist. You can practice your skills in those (very heavily padded) locations before taking on anything like she was doing, if you would like to learn. Damn impressive stuff though.

Daaaah Whoosh:
I just have to ask, is the person in the video a woman? Because, for whatever reason, I'm getting a 'man' vibe. Either way, they are a finely tuned human machine, and their moves have made me wish the rooftops around here were just a little bit closer together.

It's a guy. Youtube description confirms it. I was getting the same vibe as you so I checked.

And with that particular city being Cambridge (UK), I'm fairly sure that he was breaking a few laws to make that movie... (Not to state the obvious, of course.)

obedai:
Just saying guys, I can't speak for every location, but there are parkour gyms that exist. You can practice your skills in those (very heavily padded) locations before taking on anything like she was doing, if you would like to learn. Damn impressive stuff though.

My High School actually had a Parkour club, for all of less than one year. Just as I heard about it, they shut it down due to "potential injuries".

Was one of the saddest days in my life.

As for those relative few questioning the gender of their "Faith" stand-in, they have the person listed on the youtube video proper. I don't know about anyone else, and I don't live in the EU area at all, but Neil isn't exactly a feminine name.

I also have to say I'm a little curious on the rigging for this. It looks like the runner probably had to hold back a little bit on their movements, but for the life of me I can't see where the camera might be mounted. I'm thinking helmet-mounted, because it seems like a lot of his rolls (the only times a helmet-mounted camera might get knocked about), seem to do a good job of keeping the entire head-region as away from the ground as possible.

I'd say a good piece of that was playing pretty close to the chest. Not exactly "risky". Then the rest of it was pretty darn ballsy, particularly the edge walking and the climbing up the building.

I completely forgot that Mirror's Edge has such a great soundtrack. Thank you for reminding me.

The parkour video was very nice too.

I was flinching at almost every jump, they must be incredibly brave.

Oh, and that song! Still giving me chills after all these years. Say what you will about Mirror's Edge, but you can't deny its amazing soundtrack.

Yeek. That kept making my stomach clench up. Parkour is badass and all, but I could never do it.

He looked like he was having to run funny to get his arms in frame.

In the last decade or so, the cases of compacted knees in youth have apparently been going up in some places around Europe, Asia and places where buildings are commonly built quite close together, I heard in a talk at work.

I couldn't imagine it has anything to do with the recent popularity of jumping onto cement from very high places. Parkour looks cool kids, but it's very bad for you.

That was cool. Wish I didn't live in a suburb... inverted V-shaped roofs that are 20 or so feet apart are incredibly hard and boring to navigate.

VanQ:
In the last decade or so, the cases of compacted knees in youth have apparently been going up in some places around Europe, Asia and places where buildings are commonly built quite close together, I heard in a talk at work.

I couldn't imagine it has anything to do with the recent popularity of jumping onto cement from very high places. Parkour looks cool kids, but it's very bad for you.

*cringes*

jumping onto "concrete" from very high places.

cement = ingredient in concrete....

*engineering OCD*

OT: this was bloody awesome, not much more can be said.

Holy everything.

That was SU-WEEEEEEEET.

Also, at 0:55, I totally thought he was going to kick in the window. :P

gmaverick019:

VanQ:

*cringes*

*engineering OCD*

I thought concrete was what gave the cement its hardness. I might be wrong there. Either way, jumping around on solid materials is not what our bodies were designed for and that was the point of my post.

VanQ:

gmaverick019:

VanQ:

*cringes*

*engineering OCD*

I thought concrete was what gave the cement its hardness. I might be wrong there. Either way, jumping around on solid materials is not what our bodies were designed for and that was the point of my post.

nope, concrete is the final product of the mix

concrete = fine aggregate (sand) + coarse aggregate (rocks) + cement mix + water + admixture (cures and helps strengthen the concrete in certain ways depending on which admixture you pick)

and yes, sorry for my nitpick, it has been bloodily bashed into my head for the past 5 years if anyone says it wrong in class/on the jobsite, so it's become an OCD of mine.

it is interesting to see each generation get old though and what the fuck is wrong with their bodies later on, then we can point and laugh and hopefully learn from their mistakes :D

I've never felt like a bigger puss in my life.

Holy shit, that was cool.
This could be the best first person parkour I've seen, great perspective, really fluid and very easy to follow.
Faith should do a you-themed video.

Xan Krieger:
I can't believe that's real, she has no fear at all.

you know that you are watching a dude perform this...

wow. part of me would never do that. i would be more careful and certainly would not jump that crazy on to things without checking first if i can actually get a grip on to something.

otherwise really impressive. now if part 2 comes out, im so in.

It's the first-person perspective that makes it. That was terrifying to watch, even knowing that nothing would go wrong. (Yeah, I decided to make a parkour video, made a balls of it and it ends with my thigh bones on the outside of my legs.. but I thought I should upload anyway. Enjoy!")

Seriously impressive.

rhizhim:

Xan Krieger:
I can't believe that's real, she has no fear at all.

you know that you are watching a dude perform this...

I didn't till I saw a comment mentioning it. I guess with the outfit and music my mind automatically sees Fayth doing it.

And now I want to play Mirror's Edge again... Seriously, amazing video. It should be an ad for the next game, that's how good it was!

Only 16 runners died during the making of this video.

Y'know, it's funny. Watching this video kept giving me the thought of "I'm pretty sure that if I was somehow forced into a situation where I had to getaway and parkouring on rooftops was my only option that I'd be boned."

So... it's probably not a good thing that this inspired me to start taking up parkour. :P

Man, watching this makes me want to do parkour. But then I remember that I'm terrified of heights. And that I hate having to run around a lot. And I tend to hate the outside.

Hey, bed! *sleeps*

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.