Diablo III's Auction House And Always-Online Aren't Going Anywhere

Pages PREV 1 2

I really wish there were more ARPGs to chose from. As it stands, I have to chose between D3's always online annoyance and TL2's just generally being bad. I tried PoE for about 20 minutes before I hated it, and Grim Dawn isn't going to be out for awhile.

Karathos:
Would love statistics on how many people are actually -ACTUALLY- negatively affected by always-online and RMAH (no, being butthurt about the features but being perfectly capable of playing the game despite them does not count as being negatively affected). I'd wager the number is pretty damn small.

Enjoyed D3 thoroughly, and will be getting the expansion. I have an internet connection that's constantly up, I play the game with friends to begin with so online is pretty much default, and I've never bothered spending money on the auction house. I just don't see the world-shattering problem of these features. Maybe I'm just not that picky? Go figure.

I don't have any statistics but I can personally vouch that the RMAH has negatively affected my ability to play and enjoy the game. My main avatar was unable to progress beyond a certain point in Nightmare mode despite being 3/4 of the way to the level cap due to not receiving equipment drops of the quality needed to make the character survivable. I played Diablo II for years and never spent the amount of time grinding for gear that I did with my D3 character. The loot system remained broken at least until I moved on to more interesting games that didn't punish me for being a single-player gamer who didn't want to waste money on digital goods that only remained useful for a short time and it sounds like it is still broken considering the fact that they are releasing a major revision to it. On the other hand, the always online requirement is not that big of a deal to me as I have a stable high-speed connection. If I were still in the Navy I would be pissed though as I would be completely unable to play the game any time I was at sea.

major_chaos:
I really wish there were more ARPGs to chose from. As it stands, I have to chose between D3's always online annoyance and TL2's just generally being bad. I tried PoE for about 20 minutes before I hated it, and Grim Dawn isn't going to be out for awhile.

Have you looked at The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing? http://store.steampowered.com/app/215530

Doclector:
That fucking sucks.

No really, that's a total dick move. Diablo 3 was THE thing PC gamers were waiting for, its fans kept the faith for such a long time, only to be rewarded with a broken loot system and always online DRM.

Then the console version comes out, fixing most of these problems. Updating the PC version should be a non brainer, but no, Blizzard's already got its teeth into PC gamers and doesn't feel like letting go. It's nothing short of an absolute abuse of their most faithful fans, whilst they give the "fixed" version to fans they likely never had before, on a platform that, to be honest, isn't as well suited to those kinds of games.

Zhukov:
"You will eat our shit, damn you, and you will enjoy it."

I am actually mildly thankful that I've never been a Diablo fan.

Consider this a lesson regarding brand loyalty. "Blizzard" is not some monolithic unchanging entity with capricious wiles. It is run by people, and people move around and change and are generally mutable and prone to mistakes.

Phishfood:

Blizzard claims it needs always on "for the auction house"

Well...Actually...That's a pretty legitimate reason to keep Always-On, because if they allowed offline mode, then the game would be hacked easier so people can produce their own in game items, sell them, and basically make money for no work what-so-ever. It's what happened in Diablo II's economy, only now real money is involved. I'm not going to argue for or against the auction house, but it is still a very legit reason to keep Always-On.

klaynexas3:

Well...Actually...That's a pretty legitimate reason to keep Always-On, because if they allowed offline mode, then the game would be hacked easier so people can produce their own in game items, sell them, and basically make money for no work what-so-ever. It's what happened in Diablo II's economy, only now real money is involved. I'm not going to argue for or against the auction house, but it is still a very legit reason to keep Always-On.

Simple - ban offline characters from the AH, don't have a way to import offline characters to online ones, but have a way to export online characters for offline play. Hack proof and no need for always on.

Phishfood:

klaynexas3:

Simple - ban offline characters from the AH, don't have a way to import offline characters to online ones, but have a way to export online characters for offline play. Hack proof and no need for always on.

That's not hack proof. Simply by having the game totally on a computer does it allow for the hackers to create the in game items, and then it's just a matter of getting it into the online section of the game. By holding most of the game server side, it's able to more so prevent them from being able to even create the in game items because they lack the assets necessary to make it. Not impossible to cheat, but much harder. And again, I defend neither practices of the auction house or the always online DRM, I'm simply stating there are reasons for keeping an always on policy with a real money auction house also being used.

Are they giving console players the new "features" as well? If so, fuck off. If they don't have to connect, they shouldn't get them. After all, they are supposed to be rewarding PC players for the hassle right?

klaynexas3:

That's not hack proof. Simply by having the game totally on a computer does it allow for the hackers to create the in game items, and then it's just a matter of getting it into the online section of the game. By holding most of the game server side, it's able to more so prevent them from being able to even create the in game items because they lack the assets necessary to make it. Not impossible to cheat, but much harder. And again, I defend neither practices of the auction house or the always online DRM, I'm simply stating there are reasons for keeping an always on policy with a real money auction house also being used.

You are missing my point - maybe online only is the only way to secure the auction house, but there is no reason we couldn't also have "offline" characters with zero access to the auction house. These could be played offline at will, we could hack away and do whatever we wanted with them. There still would be no realistic way to get things from offline to online mode, since blizzard control their own servers. Unless you were to hack into their servers, a possibility that exists now anyway, your offline assets would be stuck offline;

Phishfood:

klaynexas3:

You are missing my point - maybe online only is the only way to secure the auction house, but there is no reason we couldn't also have "offline" characters with zero access to the auction house. These could be played offline at will, we could hack away and do whatever we wanted with them. There still would be no realistic way to get things from offline to online mode, since blizzard control their own servers. Unless you were to hack into their servers, a possibility that exists now anyway, your offline assets would be stuck offline;

And you are missing my point. Those offline items they were able to reproduce from having hacked the offline portion of the game could then be used through a hack to be transferred into the online portion of the game. Without an offline version though, the hackers lack the direct means of duplicating in game gear, requiring them, if they want to hack, to have to find the code of the gear they are trying to duplicate on the servers themselves. In other words, instead of Blizzard giving them the code they could use to make these items, they are hiding even that, requiring much more work in the process of hacking.

klaynexas3:

And you are missing my point. Those offline items they were able to reproduce from having hacked the offline portion of the game could then be used through a hack to be transferred into the online portion of the game.

How? offline characters are stored on the local PC, online characters are stored on the server. If Blizzard don't put any way for offline characters to be imported to the online servers, there is no way to do it, without hacking the blizzard servers. If you are going to hack the blizzard servers anyway, you would just create the items directly without any need to use the offline feature.

Huh... and then this happened

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=launcher&utm_campaign=d3&utm_content=left-banner

Kinda reminds me when EA said they wouldn't do steam sales on origin and then only a few weeks later did a steam sale on origin.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.