SimCity Creator Forming New Studio

SimCity Creator Forming New Studio

SimCity creator Will Wright is forming Syntertainment with five million dollars worth of investor money.

SimCity creator and Maxis founder Will Wright is reportedly forming a new a studio that he's dubbing Syntertainment. While Wright has released few details regarding what kind of software it will focus on, he has said that Syntertainment will not be a "huge megaproject" and will rather represent "an evolution of [his] interests." The new studio is being co-founded by tech veteran Avi Bar-Zeev and will employ personnel drawn from Wright's think-tank, Stupid Fun Club.

Syntertainment has already found support and investors to help get it started. Among these is former Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello who has put money toward the company and will serve as a third a board member alongside Wright and Bar-Zeev. "John and I get along great," commented Wright. "I have always had a good working relationship with him and a lot of fun." Other investors include Mayfield Fund, Foursquare's Dennis Crowley, Slide founder Max Levchin and HVF. Total investments are currently around five million dollars total. The Syntertainment team is eleven people strong.

While Wright's vagueness concerning his plans and goals for the new company lend little in the way of clarity, he believes the ever evolving state of the industry should leave him with plenty of options to explore. "The world is changing so fast in these areas. We've seen the rise of the app market, indie games. There are still Grand Theft Auto games and things like that around. But the rest of the market is evolving so fast."

Source: VentureBeat

It's always nice seeing a new company form, as a fan of the original Simcity so I'm looking forwards to seeing what they'll put out.

Will Wright AND John Riccitiello as co-founders? I honestly don't know what to make of it.

I would bet good money on the fact that he is going to focus on a free to play something, or a mobile game first.

Fulbert:
Will Wright AND John Riccitiello as co-founders? I honestly don't know what to make of it.

im probably not the only one that went YAY and then WTF.. the destroyer. the anti gamer on the board of directors

Sounds interesting. A few veterans ganging up together to tackle a labour of personal interest. However! If I so much as once, ever, hear the words Free 2 Play, ever, your company is fucking dead to me.

Well, Will Wright is starting a new company, that does sound interesting. I liked pretty much everything he ever ma.... Oh, John Riccitiello is involved. I'm out.

SimCity creator and Maxis founder Will Wright is reportedly forming a new a studio

Sounds cool, he's come up with some decent ideas that have become gaming legends. Although Spore was a bit naff he probably has something intersting up his sleeve.

Among these is former Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello

Oh, so everything will be mobile, free-to-play games with online passes and no souls. Nevermind.

..."an evolution of [his] interests."

Insofar that, between stages, Will Wright will be completely taking apart the project and reassembling it with no regard for prior qualities. You know, "evolution" just like he gave us in Spore.

Stupid Fun Club.

I once asked Mr Wright if he named this project "Stupid Fun Club" because "Intelligent Fun Club" didn't work for him.

He never replied.

"John and I get along great," commented Wright. "I have always had a good working relationship with him and a lot of fun."

And here people thought he left Maxis and started SFC to get away from people like Mr Riccitiello.

While Wright's vagueness concerning his plans and goals for the new company lend little in the way of clarity...

This is a good thing. The less he says, the less disappointed customers will be later. He's at least learned that lesson.

he believes the ever evolving state of the industry ... "The world is changing so fast in these areas ... But the rest of the market is evolving so fast."

Someone really needs to revoke Mr Wright's right to use the word "evolve" and all its derivatives. He clearly does not understand the concept of evolution.

Captcha: power tool

Sometimes I am, Captcha. Sometimes, I am.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here