International Conference Meets to Solve In-Game Hate Speech

Pages 1 2 NEXT

International Conference Meets to Solve In-Game Hate Speech

The conference will take on the trolls, the haters, and the bullies to make a safer space in gaming.

Today marks the first day of the week-long GameOver Hate conference in Budapest. The conference will examine online hate, especially in gaming communities, and begin creating a network of people to recognize and react to hate.

David Pinto, one of the organizers for the conference, said he and Martin Fischer, another organizers for the conference, got the idea for the conference when they were playing Guild Wars 2 and thought a conference devoted to online respect in videogames would be interesting. "Games are relevant today," Pinto said. "And working for respect, inclusiveness, and diversity is important. Joining these two things together is something I find really interesting and very much urgent for our current (and future) generations."

A draft of the program shows that participants will examine gamification, the roles people play online, what developers want, a simulation on combating hate, and discussions on activism. The conference will also premiere GTFO - A Film About Women in Gaming.

Pinto admitted he thinks conflict will always stick around when many people interact. "That being said, there are some ways to minimize the worst of its manifestations. And as we focus more on this problem and talk about it, I think we'll get better at dealing with it. If we pay attention."

Source: GameOver Hate via Polygon

Yeesh, it's gotten to be this big of a problem huh? I never did like it, hope they come up with something to at least lessen it.

I'm not against it, but trying to make people be less horrible? Good luck with that.

"And working for respect, inclusiveness, and diversity is important. Joining these two things together is something I find really interesting and very much urgent for our current (and future) generations."

Jesus H. Christ...

There's this neat little thing called blocklist. Some dude can't control his potty mouth? Just mute him ffs.

When I play public matches, I usually mute the open in-game chat and set up a party with people I actually wanna talk to. Has proven to work just fine.

Also, what are they gonna do about it? Install a language scanner and kickban anyone who says a blacklisted word? This is censorship, nothing else.

I'm wondering if it's as simple as raising dopamine addiction awareness. It's a quite powerful reactant for our brain, and can't be regulated as our own bodies produce it, and we might not even be aware of how severe such an addiction we might have as the brain would have no problem hiding it from us. What tends to happen when addicts quit cold turkey or can't get their fix? They suffer through withdrawal, and the hate speech we see in games might just be the most common symptom of dopamine withdrawal we are seeing.

Well, there's been a World Peace Conference since the 1950s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Peace_Council#Origins

They might as well throw a "Stop crime and everyone be nice to each other Conference" next, it'd probably be about as self-congratulatory and pointless/effective.

I question the effectiveness of this in curbing online hate speech, but they at least get an A+ for effort.

I'M glad my skin is thick and i don't need to throw a international conference when ever someone makes fun of me, i would run of money quickly if that was the case

International conference on how to use block/mute/ignore function would be much more appropriate.

We should just install MR T into every computer and gaming console.

Start smack talking?
Mr T comes out of the machine and smacks you!

"Show some respect to your fellow man foo!"
-WACK-

If nothing else it would be funny.

Here's what you do. Have parents raise children, rather than xbox live. You're fucking welcome.

T-Shirt Turtle:
I question the effectiveness of this in curbing online hate speech, but they at least get an A+ for effort.

I would think mr. David Pinto and mr. Martin Fischer are getting good money for this, through NGOs and government donations. As such it disgust me, as most pointless wastes of money, but wish them the best.

ATM would be happy if Valve implemented a ban list in dota which prevented you from queueing with that people, only issue i have with my online gaming.

Dude, just walk away from the screen or post it on youtube or something.

I hope they're successful in some way, even if the success is small. The community desperately needs it. Every little bit helps.

Chaosritter:
"And working for respect, inclusiveness, and diversity is important. Joining these two things together is something I find really interesting and very much urgent for our current (and future) generations."

Jesus H. Christ...

There's this neat little thing called blocklist. Some dude can't control his potty mouth? Just mute him ffs.

When I play public matches, I usually mute the open in-game chat and set up a party with people I actually wanna talk to. Has proven to work just fine.

Also, what are they gonna do about it? Install a language scanner and kickban anyone who says a blacklisted word? This is censorship, nothing else.

Back when I played CoD, I used to actually make a game out of muting everyone in the room except the people that I already know/play with. The objective of the game was to mute so many people that I'd eventually start entering matches full of players that I've already muted.

The closest I ever got was getting into a match with all but 4 people already muted. :3

OT: Soooooo what, they'll make a pamphlet or two and put a video on the XBox and PS dashboards asking people to play nice? Do they have ANY idea about the demographic they're trying to reach? To the people they'd be trying to reach with this campaign, words like "gay" aren't actually words, they're commas.

SecondPrize:
Here's what you do. Have parents raise children, rather than xbox live. You're fucking welcome.

That would violate the international treaty that was signed in 1994 at the 'Global Convention to Alleviate Parental Responsibility and Blame Some Other Shit We Don't Like Instead'.

RJ 17:
Back when I played CoD, I used to actually make a game out of muting everyone in the room except the people that I already know/play with.

I did something similar, "pre-emptive muting". I would immediately block anyone who had a name like "xxxcrazyn1gg4xxxx" or "sukmidikkkkkkk". I almost got a formula down until I got sick of the game and uninstalled it. I think there was a 95% efficiency rate.

CriticalMiss:

SecondPrize:

That would violate the international treaty that was signed in 1994 at the 'Global Convention to Alleviate Parental Responsibility and Blame Some Other Shit We Don't Like Instead'.

Damn that treaty.

They could have moderators. Oh, wait, that costs money. Nevermind.

Pyrian:
They could have moderators. Oh, wait, that costs money. Nevermind.

LoL has it in the form of the tribunal. People thinks it's an abused kangaroo court.

I think this is a noble thing, at least in it's intentions. After all, in most decently structured games there's rules against players being complete dicks to each other. But I think in reality, the whole thing will prove to be as useful as a chocolate fire-guard. (Boy, that's showing my age.)

After all, who wants to hear a thirteen year old squeaker telling everyone to fellate him? Hell, why has it got to the point where most people will automatically mute other players before they open their mouths? I have my theory is that the squeakers generally wouldn't talk like that if their parents were in their rooms supervising them.

But why pick on children entirely? Anyone can be idiots, screamers, ragers, bullies and cheaters.

Perhaps moderators would be a good idea. But the question is, who's going to be putting their hands in their pockets to pay for it? Gamers, publishers, developers or even the console manufacturers?

Everyone acting with a mutual respect for each other is a wonderful thing, but it's all pie in the sky.

Amazing how people can find excuses to meet for cofee and cookies.

Someone called me a goth-tard on cod. Better call a conference....

Mute fixes nearly all of the bad language and hate. As in real life, if you dont like someone just avoid them.

Someone let me know when they hold an international conference on how to grow a backbone and/or use the mute button.

This is a useless waste of time and money. Nothing could possibly be accomplished by such a conference and many trolls and bullies, after catching wind of this, will likely act more atrociously out of spite.

Hey good luck to them but whenever people are anonymous they'll be whatever they want and often that's a terrible person if they find some way to help at least curb that a little good for them but I doubt they'll fix anything.

Christ, it just sounds like they're trying to make gaming some kind of bland experience like Facebook.

"Oh no! We can't have a dislike button! That'll foster negativity in the community!"

Ok, I can understand stopping the racist insults and stuff like that, but If I'm playing a game with adults and I want to call someone a stupid, fucking cunt because they cost us the game, then I should be able to.

I really think people are to soft-skinned on the web nowadays. How can some swearwords written down in a game actually hurt you? Nobody that has actual parents can be this emotionally unstable.

Real cyberbulling is a diffrent thing though. That usually contains spreading lies locally - but over the web, takin' horrible picures or creating hate-sites.
That can/will really affect you and there should be stuff done to prevent that.

It sounds like a bunch of seniors forming a committee to stop the teenagers from skateboarding on the sidewalks. It's going to be so important and effective.

Ultimately pointless conference about a thing we already have the power to control.\

RJ 17:
Back when I played CoD, I used to actually make a game out of muting everyone in the room except the people that I already know/play with. The objective of the game was to mute so many people that I'd eventually start entering matches full of players that I've already muted.

The closest I ever got was getting into a match with all but 4 people already muted. :3

Thats interesting but kinda unfair. Lets say i play the game, and i hardly ever speak, and when i do its about something important, like giving intel to the team. i join a match and you automatically mute me before i even say a word and miss on the intel. you didnt even give me a chance. seems kinda harsh.
I do similar game differently, i block everyone who goes on a rampage of how gay i am for not shooting this guy. My record is 6 guys pre-blocked in a new match, and i often get good experience. But the game i do it isnt COD so it may be dofferent there, but the format is very similar (two teams want to kill eachother). I even made a couple friends by meeting them in random match.

However, much more importantly than this is that video.

That has to be one of the most freaking annoying videos I've ever seen announcing something. Seriously, if you're going to show us text then don't put freaking blobs of black ink over some of the letters even if it's only the first few. That doesn't make your video cool, it makes it an amateurish failed attempt at being cool.

As for the conference, could be interesting I guess. Although I'm not sure how effective it will be.

But that video? KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Another attempt to change human nature. They must really like being paid to fail. Wish I had a job like that.

I was watching a Dota 2 tournament the other night. The very second the commentator appeared on camera, the chat was flooded with the following:

"show us your tits"
    "nice tits"
    "dance for us"
    "sexy cleavage"
    "i love you do you love me?"
    "who votes [commentator's name] dances for us on cam?"

This was a sponsored, high profile tournament.

Can we get rid of that? I'd like it if a woman could be a part of gaming without instantly being bombarded with comments reducing her to a piece of meat. What's the options? Just put up with it? Ignore them all? Get extra moderators to watch every stream featuring a woman? Great options for us. I vote we start kicking the pigs that do it up the ass. I feel a ban from the internet is just.

SecondPrize:

This, so very fucking much.

And like every other attempt at curbing something or other, it's not going to work because it will be badly executed and no one is going to play along with this.

These guys are preaching to criminals.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or